Video: This celeb makeup artist has a zillion tips on how to create a flawless makeup base—whether you’re a n00b or an old pro

how to apply foundation

Okay, guys. We’ve been talking A LOT about all things foundation and primer here lately. (One of last year’s most popular posts was on the 7 mistakes you’re probably making with your foundation… and we’ve discussed almost too many primers to count.)

But this vid—which I filmed in New York City last fall at an event hosted by Mary Kay—ties everything together in a nice little bow.

Yep, I said Mary Kay. Remember how shocked I was that I actually LIKED their makeup (specifically the Cheek Glaze)? Well the Mary Kay image reinvention continues, because they have celebrity makeup artist Luis Casco on board, who you may have seen on Tyra or “E,” etc.

OMG does he ever have some great tips: on choosing the right shade of foundation, how to apply it properly (along with your primer and concealer) and a whole bunch more sneaky tricks that every good celeb makeup artist always has.

Here’s the vid:

I apologize for the shaky camera work!

Anyway, here are the two foundations he was talking about, both new this month from Mary Kay:

Mary Kay TimeWise Foundations Video: This celeb makeup artist has a zillion tips on how to create a flawless makeup base—whether youre a n00b or an old pro

One is called Matte and the other, Luminous (although have no fear–not in a shimmery way). Choose according to your skin type: even though they’re from the TimeWise line and have tons of anti-aging ingredients, they’re actually not just for the olds. And like Luis does in the video, you could use them both if you want to get a bit of sheen on the higher planes of your face. SUCH a better idea versus going all Kristen Bell styles.

The beauty eds got the chance to shade-match themselves at the event, and I have to admit I had trouble doing it on my own, just because there were so many colour options. Which brings me to the great thing about Mary Kay: someone else can come over and do this FOR YOU in the comfort of your own home. (Or, well, in your backyard… you do know that you’re supposed to look at the colour in bright, natural light, yes?)

I wonder if they drive over in their pink cadillacs…

Anyway! The foundations themselves are also pretty high coverage, so a little bit goes a long way. I will admit I’ve not given mine much of a test drive since at the time of this event my skin started to go into full-blown post-Oil Cleansing Method disaster mode, and I’ve been laying off anything not mineral.

(An aside: It’s always fun when your skin acts up at a beauty event. In the immortal words of FASHION’s beauty director: “Being a beauty editor with bad skin makes you feel like a fraud.” At the time, my chin was SOOPER dry and flaky, because of the castor oil, and Luis told me to use moisturizer—um, ya think? Anyway, I could tell he was wondering what business I had doling out beauty advice. Ha!)

Anyway, Mary Kay are also launching a primer and a foundation brush to go with the foundations. I will be honest: I find the primer too silicone-y for my taste, but your mileage may vary. (And, well, a foundation brush is a foundation brush.) My fave primers include Hourglass Mineral Veil, Cover FX Clear Prep FX and of course, the great Shu Uemura UnderBase Mousse.

Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse SPF 30 Video: This celeb makeup artist has a zillion tips on how to create a flawless makeup base—whether youre a n00b or an old pro

Do you wear liquid foundation?
What about primer?
When Luis gives the model a face massage did it not make you want that RIGHT NOW?

Alana
Wednesday, January 12/2011 at 1:53 pm

Great video! Very helpful! I could probably use a Mary Kay shade-matching session – I have purchased many a wrong shade in the past! My face is always a fair bit lighter than my neck area though, which makes it kind of hard. Come to think of it, the makeup artist I hired on my wedding day absolutely nailed my foundation (she blended a few shades together). If only I had been paying closer attention!!!

Wednesday, January 12/2011 at 3:53 pm

And that would be what I like to call “the Eagle”! (Light face, dark body)
You can probably go a bit darker on the foundation – makeup artists usually recommend erring on a shade darker vs lighter. Oh and bronzer is your friend too :-)

Sara
Wednesday, January 12/2011 at 5:56 pm

I loved Mary Kay parties when I was a teen! The only primer I’ve tried and really liked is Korres Anti Ageing with Quercetin, Oak and Hyaluronic acid which is amazing! I use it alone or with a liquid foundation by Chanel Teint Innocence foundation with SPF 12. The overall look is sheer, natural and radiant and I rarely need concealer anymore. I have virtually no breakouts thanks to you and Arctic Cod Liver Oil!! and my dermatologist who told me to stop treating acne and my skin so harshly. My skin responded so well to CLO, Sulfacetamide and gentle cleansers. I discovered I have sensitive skin and mild rosacea. All is well…fingers crossed.

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 7:13 pm

Oh good to know you liked the Korres – I’ve heard mixed reviews. Would you say your skin is on the oily side or not really? I was thinking the people who don’t like it are too oily for it, but now you’re giving me hope (I was holding off on buying it as I need the T-zone shine control)

PS – Big hooray re: the cod liver oil! And totally agree about being gentler on the skin. All those gels and scrubs etc they push for acne-prone skin are so harsh. So glad you’ve got a routine that’s working for you!

Sara
Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 8:11 pm

My skin is definitely on the dry side this winter and I use it on top of my serums and moisturizers. I think in the summer months it may be OK on it’s own.

Makeup Morsels
Wednesday, January 12/2011 at 10:38 pm

Nice post! I have yet to try any of those primers, gotta get around to it! Right now, I’m using a Murad primer. It’s only been a day, so I haven’t really developed an opinion on it yet.

Monica
Thursday, January 13/2011 at 7:06 pm

OMG can’t wait to try this…I’m a liquid fnd kinda gal. Call me stuck in the 90′s but for me the powder fndns just don’t give the coverage I love as do liquids. Love Luis’ comment, “your not using foundations to darken your face, that’s what bronzers are for!” LOL tell that to snooki (or whatever her name is). Great vid!!

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 7:14 pm

Thanks M!

Leola Cliett
Monday, March 21/2011 at 4:47 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this. It gave me the confidence I needed.

Monday, March 21/2011 at 5:04 pm

You are most welcome!

lauren
Friday, April 15/2011 at 9:51 am

I know you are a fellow armani nut as myself, do you use their luminous silk foundation ? I watched the vid with the Reza guy, wich i could hardly understand thanks to his fancy accent :) I have a very hard time finding a color match, but love the foundation. Just wondering what you used ,since you seem to be as picky as myself ! Thanks, lauren

Friday, April 15/2011 at 7:32 pm

I have in the past, not currently (am mostly turning to my FACEAtelier foundation lately – it’s amazing!). But so is the Armani one… out of any foundation it’s the one most makeup artists I’ve dealt with rave about. (For example – on any magazine photo shoots I’ve attended it always mysteriously goes missing!)
I would recommend both of these brands. I can’t find my Armani one right now, but in FACEAtelier I use Ivory. There are some other foundation recos here just FYI: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/30/reader-question-can-you-recommend-a-good-liquid-foundation/
Hope that helps!

Simo
Sunday, November 27/2011 at 9:57 am

What foundation brush was he using? it looked so perfect! not too slim and not too chubby..I’d love to know more about the best foundation brush out there! :)