blonde with red lipstick

I think I sound like a broken record these days, so forgive me.

Just last week my blog sista Anya, who writes the delightful fashion-focused site I’m the It Girl out of Vancouver, did a fun profile on my top “beauty secrets,” where I boldly (heh) declared that “the world would be a happier place if more of us wore bright lipstick.”

And that’s not news around here, because I haven’t stopped banging on about the lipstick thing since I declared lip gloss “over” last spring. Since then, I’ve swooned over luxury lippie launches from Chanel, YSL and Tom Ford… pinched myself that Revlon could come out with such a fantastic range at drugstore prices… fell in love with Joe Fresh’s ridonkulously good lip stains (a.k.a. “starter lipsticks”)… and of course, gazed happily at the very many fashion designers who gave bold lips a starring role on the spring/summer ’11 catwalks.

And now? Now I say that bright lips are not just a trend but a classic. They really are.

And so today I would like to show you a few additional new and exciting new lip prodz that you may wish to include in your makeup rotation…

1. POSSIBLY THE BEST-EVER LIP BALM FOR WEARING UNDERNEATH YOUR LIPSTICK

It’s L’Occitane’s Shea Beauty Balm in Vineyard Rose:

LOccitane Shea Butter Beauty Balm Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attention

Yeah, yeah, I know I said I was talking about bright lip stuff today… but it is January in Canada and that means you can just call me Tenderflake. Lips are Peeling. Right. Off. Which, as you can imagine, sort of thwarts any efforts to wear actual lipstick. Chapped lips with lipstick on top NEVER looks good—just take a look at our friend Amber Heard, who we saw in the Globes after-party round-up yesterday.

Most of us try to correct this situation by applying a liberal layer of lip balm underneath our lip colour of choice. But you can’t just use any old balm. When they are too oily or goopy or shiny, the colour you layer on top has nothing to grab on to—not to mention the texture turns into something more akin to a tinted gloss instead of a lipstick.

The solution is this L’Occitane number, which I can honestly say is probably the best under-lipstick balm I’ve ever found. (Or you could use it on top of a stain. Your choice.) It goes on in a very fine layer, but don’t be deceived because it’s still super-moisturizing and lasts a really long time. Plus, it’s matte. AND it’s certified organic. AND you can use it on any dry spots, not just lips. Much love for this product.

UPDATE: Ugh, so sorry—apparently this was a limited edition product (thanks to Margarita for alerting me in the comments)… BUT as of now, still available on the website (loccitane.ca) until stock runs out. You may still be able to find it in a few retail boutiques, but they recommend you call the toll-free number to check: 1-877-212-0238. Good luck tracking it down! And if you can’t find, the next closest match would be the Mini Pure Shea Butter:

LOccitane Mini Pure Shea Butter Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attention

2. A NEW MAKEUP ARTIST-CREATED LIPSTICK LINE AT DRUGSTORE PRICES

Meet CoverGirl Lip Perfection:

CoverGirl Lip Perfection Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attention

So you know how Revlon hired the great Gucci Westman to give its lipsticks an overhaul? Well, CoverGirl has done the same thing, thanks to Pat McGrath. Pat is, I think, the most influential makeup artist in the world right now—so when she directs the re-formulation of a lipstick line, especially an under-$10 lipstick line, we take notice.

The old CoverGirl lipsticks, if I’m being perfectly honest, were boring. Too pale and wimpy in terms of colour, and most had that annoying iridescence that (for me) ruined the finish. Pat has rightfully told P&G to make the colours flatter and brighter, and FINALLY—after getting a sneak peek last year when I was at the HQ in Cincinnati—I got to try ‘em.

The best is the red, called Hot, which Pat actually used at the Gucci, Mui Mui, Dior, and Viktor & Rolf spring shows. Here it is at Gucci:

Gucci SS 2011 makeup Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attention

I was also sent Embrace (a purple) and Euphoria (a deep wine), which Pat combined together for Louis Vuitton:

LouisVuitton spring 2011 Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attention

All in all, I’m impressed—although if I could make one suggestion, it would be to add more oranges and corals (since as per my 2011 trend predictions, those shades will be HUGE come spring).

There are also new lip liners, just FYI, if you use them (you could do a completely matte red lip with these too):

CoverGirl Lip Perfection lip liner Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attention

3. THE PERFECT PRODZ IF YOU’RE STILL A BIT SCARED OF BRIGHT LIPSTICK

Hello, Clinique Chubby Sticks!

Clinique Chubby Sticks Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attention

These aren’t lipsticks, nor are they lip pencils. They are tinted balms. But in pencil form—FAT pencils. Because weren’t those the best kind of pencils in school? I wish adults got to use fatter writing utensils, don’t you?

Anyway, there are seven shades in the range, which just came out at the end of December, and they go on a bit paler than you would think from the outer packaging (which is a good thing if you’re not the bold lips type, despite all my arm-twisting here). Most of the shades are kind of brownish, but I like the two “brights” (which aren’t really): Chunky Cherry and Woppin’ Watermelon (!). The darkest one, Richer Raisin, would be gorgeous for evening. And the good thing about these is that you don’t need to carry around separate lip balm.

4. AND NOW A HYBRID: TINTED “GLOSS BALM”

Brand new this month is CoverGirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm:

CoverGirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attention

The people at CoverGirl have been busy! And for a company for whom I didn’t have a lot of lip product love, it’s all very exciting. Think of this line like you would the Clinique sticks, except they’re a) not chubby and b) they have a slightly glossy finish. Oh yeah, and they’re SPF 15 too.

There are 16 shades and my fave is the red (weirdly, called Sandstone), but it’s not an OMGred—just a really pretty tint. Smells amazing too; in fact, this line’s going to really challenge my Josie Maran lip gloss obsession. The only thing that gives me pause is that they’re using the word “nature” in the name… lest this confuses you, these prodz aren’t totally natural—they’ve just swapped some of the synthetics for more natural ingredients. Nice!

5. MY NEW FAVOURITE LIP STAIN

Behold Tarte LipSurgence Natural Matte Lip Stain:

Tarte LipSurgence Amused Can we talk about lipstick again? Because there are some new ones—and balms and stains and liners, too!—that deserve your attentionThis lip stain was on my wish list for Christmas 2010. And my lovely mommy bought it for me, bless her heart. Just wanted to report back that all the claims are true about this one. In some strange feat of technology, it manages to be moisturizing at the same time that it’s staining… the other beauty eds were right.

Have you spotted and/or tried any of these lip prodz yet?
Do you think the bright lips trend is no longer a trend?
Did you see Angelina Jolie applying lip gloss at the Globes? Bo-ring, Jolie. (But I suppose when you have lips that big, colour might be too much…)

Mari Ohira
Wednesday, January 19/2011 at 7:01 pm

Ooh, I’m a die-hard lipstick lover and I like them red – from bright to dark, at all times. And considering I’m still paying for last year’s extravaganza, your post is very appealing to me: red lipsticks at reasonable prices! I was lusting for Nars… but now what I really want is Euphoria!

Thursday, January 20/2011 at 5:04 pm

Euphoria is nice – I’d say maybe too dramatic for day but what’s great about it is that it blots down to a really pretty berry stain that you could do with balm or gloss on top.

Wendy R.
Wednesday, January 19/2011 at 11:02 pm

The non-matte Tarte stains are also great – they go on much sheerer, so they’re perfect baby steps for lipstick phobes trying to branch out (um, hi there). And the mint flavor is awesome – why doesn’t every lip product taste like this? So much nicer than that gross synthetic vanilla scent most lipsticks seem to have…

Thursday, January 20/2011 at 5:05 pm

Cool – I need to find those now too! Tarte really has raised the bar. That woman is SMART.

Alexandra
Thursday, January 20/2011 at 12:11 am

Ahh I’m just recently venturing into the world of lipstick. Sad, right? But what college student actually wears lipstick? As of today, THIS GIRL. I bought my first one today, M.A.C.’s Ruby Woo, because you can’t go wrong with a matte classic red. (Then again, what college student goes around buying M.A.C. makeup? I could be using that money for ramen or Saturday morning pizza.) I think I’ll look into brighter lipsticks if I end up liking Ruby Woo. But this post was really helpful — I’ll definately look into CoverGirl’s new lipsticks. I have to drastically cut back on my designer makeup fix :/

Thursday, January 20/2011 at 5:06 pm

No reason to drop lots of $$$… I’d check out the CG line and also Revlon. I don’t think CG has any orange but Revlon does, and also a bright fuchsia… very spring 2011!

Jess
Thursday, January 20/2011 at 12:54 am

Loving the look of the Tarte stains! Must get my hands on them a-stat!

The BEST lip balm ever is Lanolips http://www.lanolips.com/ seriously amazing stuff! From your review, the L’Occitane one sounds pretty good, although I get bit grossed out using pots and prefer tubes.

Thursday, January 20/2011 at 5:08 pm

I’ve heard so much about Lanolips! Australian, right? I wish we had it here… they look like Kiehl’s tinted balms but maybe better.

Anya
Thursday, January 20/2011 at 1:12 am

I love your lipstick proclamation: yes, the world would be a happier place!

So many new things to try… So little time. Just today, I got a great new shade: Coral by Revlon. Amazing bright orange coral! Feels like spring.

Thursday, January 20/2011 at 5:09 pm

Yes! I have that one too, it’s great – and surprisingly wearable for closet orange-phobes like me!

Lesa
Thursday, January 20/2011 at 2:22 pm

Pulling that balm out of the closet right now…..

Thursday, January 20/2011 at 5:09 pm

Need your report!

Margarita
Thursday, January 20/2011 at 2:58 pm

I really love this Blog just fyi! I check you everyday with my breakfast I think I am just as excited as you for all the bright colours for spring and have already started to play around with colors. I have completely embraced the orange and am all about my bright reds and fuchsia. Since you praised the Joe fresh fuchsia lip stick I went out and bought it as well as the poppy colour and another one that I can’t remember.. and they look great (with some balm) but my only complaint is that they have all broken inside of the tube :( So I will be trying out the Revlon and cover girl suggestions you have made. Personally I love my MAC. Have you tried their new kissable lipcolor. It’s more of a gel formula so it goes on like a gloss and stays like a lipstick. Its decent

Any who with all my new lipstick purchases I thought it would be necessary to have a good lip gloss/balm in place to smooth things out so as soon as I read your post on L’Occotane I went out to buy it on my lunch break. Unfortunately I was told by the sales rep that the brand you posted was a limited edition product and was released in October ..I believe. So I just purchased the 100% Shea butter product as the product you mentioned is 95%. So I’ll see how it goes. But thank you so much for all your recommendations!!!

Thursday, January 20/2011 at 5:13 pm

Oh no! I feel so bad I led you astray! I could have sworn they just sent me this but that’s what I get for blogging sans press release. (They send so many that I have about 5 giant stacks of file folders piled up and it’s a daunting task just thinking about sorting through them.) Going to contact the company direct to see whether this is long gone now or if it might be coming back at some point.

Let me know how you get on with the 100% shea!

PS – Sad that your Joe Fresh broke. Def recommend the Revlon – red, orange and fuchsia, and the ones mentioned above from CG! Haven’t tried much M.A.C lately… going to see if I can track that down, thanks!

Friday, January 21/2011 at 6:30 pm

Hi Margarita! Ok – just heard back from the PR and you were given the right advice, the Pure Shea butter is the next closest match. Apparently as of now they still may have some of the Vineyard Rose left both on the website and in a few retail stores. I’ve updated the post above with full info – thank you so much for alerting me to this!

Lindsay
Thursday, January 20/2011 at 4:24 pm

I have to agree. The world WOULD be a happier place if more of us wore lipstick.

Jane
Thursday, January 20/2011 at 8:47 pm

My older daughter is now a devotee of your site and she told me today she just HAD TO HAVE the L’Occitane Lip Balm on BeautyEditor.ca! She is really getting into lipstick these days- so funny, I was telling her the other day that Clinique is a line worth checking out & now look at those darling Chubby Sticks! And the Tarte Stains…Sephora here we come!

I think various shades & versions of The Bright Lip is here to stay for awhile. We can’t all do Red or intense looks requiring lip brushes & pencils *cough* we being I. But, if you can find the right pop of colour & finish that you are comfortable wearing and it compliments your colouring, a pretty coloured lip makes you look like younger, happier & like you’ve had a good night’s sleep *wink*

Friday, January 21/2011 at 6:32 pm

Just updated the post – as per Margarita’s comment, I messed up… the L’Occitane Vineyard Rose is actually a limited edition product that came out in the fall. As of now still available on the website and in a few stores until stock runs out… I’ve listed the phone number above so hopefully your daughter will be able to track it down!

PS – let me know if you try any of these… I think the Tarte has to be my fave!

Sara
Friday, January 21/2011 at 12:59 pm

The model you posted looks gorgeous with her bright red lips and what looks like zero eye liner, mascara or eye shadow.

Friday, January 21/2011 at 6:33 pm

Agreed! That’s my favourite way to wear the bold lip, with an otherwise bare face.

Gimped
Monday, January 24/2011 at 5:34 pm

Hey Michelle!!

Since the fuschia lip seems to be on your must have list … Does the new CG line have any? Your post on Natalie Portman mentions some, but I was really curious about the new CG line. If not, maybe I’ll use this as an opportunity to try the Joe Fresh line ….

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 5:37 pm

CG only sent me 3 shades to try so I can’t say for sure how good their fuchsias are – you can look at the shade selection here, looks like there are possibly a few bright options: http://www.covergirl.ca/en_ca/beauty_products/lipcolor/lip_perfection_lipstick/

Probably 5-6 beauty eds I know all wear the $6 Joe Fresh one though – it’s a really great, flat hot pink. So maybe that’s your best bet! Everyone loves it.

Gimped
Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 5:53 pm

Joe Fresh it is. Now to find it … hmm …

Gisela
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 10:34 pm

Nice article! Love that lipstick is getting popular again. Now there will be more colors! I’ve been trying to look on the web for swatches on lips to see what various colors from Revlon, Maybelline and Cover Girl look like. I think the bright lipstick trend is just starting actually… (at least in this decade :) )

I liked Angelina’s makeup actually. I thought it looked more natural than usual but in a good way. But, I think she could easily pull off a red lip. Actually lipstick, especially darker ones can make the lips look smaller. Did you see her in Changeling? She rocked the lipstick in that movie. Check out her look here: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm340759552/tt0824747 Since it was set in the 20s, they wore a lot more lipstick then. It looked so nice.

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 10:56 pm

Yes! Love the lipstick on Angie… would be nice to see it since she nevah wears in real life. And you’re right about dark colours making lips look smaller, but I think Angie has enough extra lippage to make it work :-)

Gisela
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 10:38 pm

Oh, and what red color is the girl wearing in the picture at the beginning of the article?

Gimped
Friday, January 28/2011 at 12:01 pm

Yes, I want to know that, too!! It’s GORGEOUS!!!!

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 10:57 pm

You know what, I have no idea – I found the image randomly in a Google Image Search :-(

Candice
Friday, January 28/2011 at 12:58 am

hey! love your blog-
and love bright lips, Lise Watier just launched a fantastic new lip product, that has a fairly sheer gel stain on one end, and the matching lipstick on the other end…. They are gorgeous! and have a giraffe zebra pattern on the package which is always fun!

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 10:59 pm

Cool – will have to see if I have that one! I loooove the stains lately.