Richard Chai - spring/summer 2011 makeup

Let’s interrupt the little love affair we have going on with bright lipsticks for just a moment, shall we? Because sometimes a girl just has to go back to the black eyeliner/nude lips combo.

One of those times—which I am experiencing as we speak (we ARE speaking to each other right now, aren’t we?)—is when you have any sort of “issues” with your skin. As I feel compelled to explain to everyone I meet in person these days (and probably mention in a blog post near-daily), I’m STILL (sob!) recovering from the Worst Skin Experiment of All Time, a.k.a. the Oil Cleansing Method. Which means that until my skin calms down, there ain’t no way I’m drawing attention to it with COLOUR. It’s all about distracting people with the eyeliner… which is exactly what I did today, using the very method I’m about to present to you.

Of course, you don’t need to be going through skin challenges to wear this look. That’s the beauty of it: it’s simple, it’s classic, it’s universally flattering, it’s SEKSI as hell. And fierce too.

It’s also a bit cleaner and more modern than our old friend, the standard smoky eye. No surprise, the woman behind the look, from the Richard Chai S/S ’11 show, is Revlon’s Gucci Westman. You may remember her from this green eyeshadow how-to video—she is the most adorable thing ever, and kind of mesmerizing to watch. (Just me?)

Anyway, here’s the vid:

And here are the products she used…

Revlon Luxurious Color Eyeliner Smoky Crayon in Black Smoke to line the upper and lower lash lines (including the waterlines), winging out slightly at the ends and smudging:

Revlon Luxurious Color Eyeliner Smoky Crayon Video: Black eyeliner with a nude lip looks mighty FIERCE—and Gucci Westman wants to show you how to do it rightRevlon Luxurious ColorStay Liquid Liner along the upper lash line to “set” the eyeliner. Did this today and will concur—it really works!

Revlon Luxurious ColorStay Liquid Liner Video: Black eyeliner with a nude lip looks mighty FIERCE—and Gucci Westman wants to show you how to do it right

Revlon CustomEyes Shadow & Liner in Sweet Innocence to define the crease. (Sorry for the crappy image, but I hope you can see—how pretty is the texture here?)

Revlon CustomEyes Shadow Liner in Sweet Innocence Video: Black eyeliner with a nude lip looks mighty FIERCE—and Gucci Westman wants to show you how to do it right

Revlon CustomEyes Mascara—this is the Revlon version of the (very awesome) Almay adjustable mascara I mentioned here. It has two settings: Length & Definition, or Length & Drama:

Revlon CustomEyes Mascara Video: Black eyeliner with a nude lip looks mighty FIERCE—and Gucci Westman wants to show you how to do it right

On the lips, Gucci used Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick in Fashion’s Night Pout, which was a limited-edition shade developed exclusively for Fashion’s Night Out last year. But a close match would be the ColorBurst Lipstick in Icy Nude:

Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick in Icy Nude Video: Black eyeliner with a nude lip looks mighty FIERCE—and Gucci Westman wants to show you how to do it rightAnd as per Simon Le Bon (!), you want to dab some Revlon ColorBurst Lipgloss in the centre:
revlon colorburst lip gloss Video: Black eyeliner with a nude lip looks mighty FIERCE—and Gucci Westman wants to show you how to do it right

Annnd that’s it! Honestly, you don’t need mad makeup skillz like Gucci to achieve this look, although you DO get bonus points if you attempt to extend the liquid liner down at the point where the tear ducts drop… that was an extra trick she did at the Richard Chai runway show:

Richard Chai SS11 3 Video: Black eyeliner with a nude lip looks mighty FIERCE—and Gucci Westman wants to show you how to do it right

So tell me—

Have you tried any of these Revlon prodz?
How do you feel about the black eyeliner/nude lip combo? Seksi… or boring?
Do you agree that a bright lip (and actually, also earrings) is a BIG no-no when your skin is acting up?

Gimped
Tuesday, January 25/2011 at 5:40 pm

Well … it’s a tad boring BUT still sexy, and totally understand why someone would want to do this. Actually just the other day I did something similar: black liner on the waterlines only with lotsa black mascara and a touch of blush. Just to put SOMETHING on my face before running a quick errand. It definitely woke my eyes up a bit.

I am becoming a big fan of the subtle eye/red lip combo though. Liner on the upper lid only with lots of mascara and a red lippie is what I’m workin’ today. I’m trying to use liquid liners, but I haven’t mastered it yet. Part of my problem is mascara overflow during application, so I do mascara first so I can clean up the mascara mess THEN my liner … which then screws up my lashes. If anyone has any tricks to share PLEASE pass them along!!

Bright lips — and I’d even say eyeshadows — when your face is acting up is a DEFINITE no-no. The LAST thing you want to do is draw more attention to yourself. I don’t know about the earring comment, though. I love big earrings :)

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 5:18 pm

A few tips for ya:

- As per Gucci in the video – try lining first with a regular liner and then going over it with the liquid liner… it’s not as hard then to get the “perfect” line.

- Pull your eyelid taut (put your finger at the outer corner of the upper lid and gently pull) so the lash line is more flat… easier to draw

- Angle the liner so you’re dragging the side flat edge across (instead of trying to draw a perfect line with the tip)

- “Draw with conviction!” – this is from Giorgio Armani’s makeup artist Linda Cantello… it’s actually easier if you just try to draw in one big swoop instead of trying to get it too perfect in little bits and bobs. I like to go back and correct with regular pencil anyway – usually there is some “white space” (a gap between the liner and your lashes) so I fill that in + do the waterlines with regular black liner.

Gimped
Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 5:52 pm

Thanks for the tips!! I will try them out fo’ sho’! For some reason I never thought to correct it with regular liner. Genius, girl!!

Gimped
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 9:23 am

Tried some of these this morning and my liner looks FAB! Your last tip … amazing! Drawing with conviction helped when I knew I could just touch it up with regular liner after, and now it looks like a pro did it!! Unfortunately my lashes still got messed up tho. I know you’re supposed to do mascara after you apply shadow/liner, but I just can’t do it that way.

Another quick q about liner: do you line your upper lid end to end, or do you stop part way? If you stop, where’s a good place to do that?

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:16 pm

Yay!

How did your lashes get messed up – you mean clumpy? How come you can’t do mascara 2nd?

I usually do the line in 2 sections. Not sure if this is the correct way but it works for me. First I start in the middle and draw a line (with conviction!) all the way to the outer corner. Then I go to the inner corner and draw across to join it up at the middle. THEN I let it dry, and I fill in with the regular waterproof pencil.

Gimped
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 10:22 pm

I do my lashes first cuz I end up getting mascara on my eyelids … and sometimes a lot. If I do my lashes first I can clean up the mess without removing shadow/liner. And by messed up I mean clumpy, ya. When I’m applying the liner the rod (??) runs across my lashes, causing them to stick together.

So you DO line the entire lid then. I start at the outer corner and stop about 3/4 of the way across my lid … then wonder why it sometimes looks funny :)

Marina(Makeup4All)
Tuesday, January 25/2011 at 5:42 pm

I actually like a lot of Revlon lip products. One thing that I don’t like is their nail varnish. Gucci looks like a very lovely person, thanks for sharing.

Julia Reiter
Tuesday, January 25/2011 at 6:28 pm

so I’m planning on beauty blogging. I’m so excited to start but I don’t know how! How do you manage to advertise yourself so that people will find your blog?
-Julia

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 5:20 pm

Twitter is a great way to connect with other bloggers and also to promote your own site… also commenting on other people’s blogs helps get the word out too. But I would say focus on content as your #1. Work on developing a unique point of view and people will find you!

Kat
Tuesday, January 25/2011 at 6:33 pm

I did try the Revlon ColorBurst, but I found the color to be a little too brown-ish for my skintone. My best EVER nude lip color is Lise Watier’s Rouge WoW in Le Nude. Think of it like your favourite lipstick and gloss had sex, and spawned the perfect compromise between the texture and color of lipstick, and the shine of lipgloss. I saw they still had it at The Bay like two weeks ago, but for some reason I couldn’t find it on the current Lise Watier website browsing it directly, although if you google it, you can still find the link to it.. LW is SO unreliable these days, I don’t know what’s up with that.. I always buy mine at one of their annual warehouse sale (which btw, is open to public! So if some of your readers are from Montreal, they usually hold these for a few weekends before Christmas, like November, and somewhere in the spring too I think.)

Kat
Tuesday, January 25/2011 at 6:35 pm

Link: http://www.lisewatier.com/en/products/lipsticks/rouge-wow-le-nude

It looks pretty pink and irridescent on the picture, but it’s really not that bright.

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 5:22 pm

“Think of it like your favourite lipstick and gloss had sex”
Can I just say that I love this?

I think I’ve tried this… was turned off by the spongey top with holes in it to dispense the product, though. Maybe I should have persevered… will have to look for it.

Michelle @LipstickRules
Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 2:00 pm

I do like this look too!
Love the Revlon Colorburst lipsticks — don’t have this colour. Must investigate!

Funny you mention Simon LeBon…he was a topic of discussion on Twitter last night…

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 3:29 pm

He was? Well apparently he gives great makeup tips. :-)

I have to say that I didn’t love the Fashion’s Night Pout nude, even though Gucci calls it “the perfect nude.” It was too chalky on me, but I’m very pale… I haven’t tried Icy Nude so not sure how that one fares.

Michelle (@Lipstickrules)
Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 8:17 pm

I would have thought Nick Rhodes would have been the one giving makeup tips. LOL.

I’m curious about Icy Nude though it might be a tad pale for my skintone. Will have to “research”!

katie
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 12:27 pm

do you think anyone can pull off black liner on the waterline? i love this look – but make-up artists always tell me that i’m too fair, and my features too ‘delicate” – whatever that means, i actually have large almond shaped eyes- to use black eyeliner.

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:28 pm

YES. I’m a big advocate of black mascara, and therefore eyeliner, for all people. (I know some MUAs say fair people should only do brown, and sure, that can work for day… but I think black is always best for evening.)

BUT it depends how you apply the eyeliner. I think the upper waterline works on everybody because it makes your lashes look thick and your eyes “pop” but you can’t detect the actual liner because it’s hidden in the lashes. So I believe this would be fine even if you’re fair.

Lower waterline is trickier… black might be a bit harsh, so you could go with a grey instead, it would be a bit softer.

The look above, however, combines both lash line + waterline lining, and I think it really needs to be all one colour to work. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t pull it off – I mean, look how fair these models are. I think the key is a precise application.

Noris
Thursday, February 3/2011 at 12:47 pm

Hi!! I love your blog!! I actually prefer bright lips, but mostly I wear nude during the summer…what does Gucci says about Simon LeBon lips? x

Thursday, February 3/2011 at 5:16 pm

Me too – loving bright lips as well, but switching it up lately with the heavy liner so you have to do a nude with that.

The Simon LeBon thing is at the end of the video!