Paris S/S ’11 Couture: As usual, Chanel turns something so simple (eyeliner, blush) into utter gorgessity

Chanel spring 2011 couture - makeup

It’s Couture Week! And that means the few remaining designers who still do haute couture are showing off their wares to socialites and celebs alike, in Paris (of course).

The ironic thing about couture is that even though everything costs bajillions of dollars, it’s usually far too over-the-top—in its original runway form—for most people to ever wear. (Unless your name is Lady Gaga.) The same goes for makeup, most of the time… with the exception of our beloved Chanel. While Armani Privé is doing purple lipstick and Givenchy is sending models down the runway wearing Viking hats with antlers, Chanel does something SO simple yet SO beautiful, it blows everybody else out of the water.

Obviously I’m digging this because, as per yesterday’s post, I’m having an eyeliner moment. (And you know I love me some blush—any kind, any time, GIMME.) But besides the fact that this involves two of my pet product categories, there are a few points about this look that are different and exciting and perhaps things that you may wish to incorporate the next time you’re wielding an eye pencil.

First, another visual on another model, this time with eyeliner that’s a bit less “wingy” at the outer edges than Miss Wixon’s above:

Chanel SS11 Couture makeup 3 Paris S/S 11 Couture: As usual, Chanel turns something so simple (eyeliner, blush) into utter gorgessity

So you may be thinking that this is Ye Olde Standard Liquid Liner Application—meaning, you just need to slick that wand across the lash line and then do the flick thing at the outer corners.

You would be wrong, though.

Because THIS is actually how the look was achieved:

Chanel SS11 Couture makeup 4 Paris S/S 11 Couture: As usual, Chanel turns something so simple (eyeliner, blush) into utter gorgessity

It’s a twist on the cat’s eye (to keep it from looking “too retro,” says global creative director of makeup Peter Philips). Instead of the outward flick, the direction is UP, in a diagonal stripe.

And it needs to be a thick, blunt line. Comme ça:

Chanel SS11 Couture makeup Paris S/S 11 Couture: As usual, Chanel turns something so simple (eyeliner, blush) into utter gorgessity

The product used, just FYI, was Chanel’s Stylo Yeux Waterproof Long-Lasting Eyeliner in Ebène

Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof 10 Ebene Paris S/S 11 Couture: As usual, Chanel turns something so simple (eyeliner, blush) into utter gorgessity

…but any long-lasting liner should be able to handle the job. For a few crowd-sourced suggestions, check this post.

And now for the OTHER super-cool thing about this makeup job.

Chanel SS11 Couture makeup 2 Paris S/S 11 Couture: As usual, Chanel turns something so simple (eyeliner, blush) into utter gorgessity

Do you see it?

It’s the blush*, dude. Instead of applying it on the apples of the cheeks—which is what I’ve been doing my whole life, basically—our mate Peter put it high, very high, on the cheekbones and just underneath the lower lash line, extending it out toward the temples.

Maybe it’s just me, but somehow the blush at the temples looks younger and fresher than when it’s on the apples. So I’m trying this new placement immediately.

*Full disclosure: Technically this isn’t actually blush. It’s a new highlighter-eyeshadow hybrid, created especially for this show, called Ombres Tissées in Beiges. But it’s not available yet, so in the meantime let’s all dewit with a peach blush instead, ‘kay?

And to get the glowing, radiant skin—also très important—the prodz used were Vitalumière Aqua Foundation, dusted with Poudre Universelle Libre and contoured with the Éclat Lumière Highlighter Face Pen.

Le sigh. Chanel, you do it to me every time.

Are you also enjoying this eyeliner + blush combo? (As opposed to yesterday’s eyeliner + nude lips combo?)
Does the upward—not outward—liner application rock your world?
Might you consider a change in blush placement?

Tracy
Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 6:46 pm

Hmmm-I’m game. I’ll try it. I’m finding it so hard to do a winged eye as my eyes are getting a bit “droopy” as I age. But doing this would eliminate the problem I’ve been having me thinks. I agree that placing blush higher up is more youthful looking. We’ll see how it goes I guess! I think my Burberry cameo blush is about the same shade.

katie
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 12:22 pm

Ive been thinking about ordering that cameo blush. Think now that I will – if it looks like this!

Tracy
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 12:24 pm

It’s my fave blush -you won’t regret it!

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:07 pm

I think I have that blush – it was in my “too pretty to actually use” box but maybe I need to bite the bullet.

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:06 pm

Or it might just be your natural eye shape, not a “droop”. A makeup artist (David Goveia) did a sort of winged look on my eyes last summer and explained that the flick actually doesn’t work on me, and that I should follow the line of my eyes downward. Sounded weird but looked good when he did it: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/08/20/10-little-tips-for-getting-awesomely-sexy-feline-angelina-esque-eyes/ The line looked like it was going down when my eyes were open, but up when closed… weird.

Tracy
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 8:51 pm

Thanks Michelle! I think maybe you are right-that’s it my natural eye shape. I will try this for sure.
That Burberry Cameo blush is just the best blush I own. It was pricey but so worth it.

Arianne
Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 8:15 pm

My first impression was “eek, amateur eyeliner!” but this look has grown on me. It’s definitely interesting. I wonder how it will translate on my Asian eyes. I guess there’s only one way to find out. :)

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:07 pm

I know, right? I like it on the 2nd model best, looks more graphic and straight instead of curvy like on the 1st girl. I guess it’s because of differences in eye shapes.

Makeup Morsels
Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 8:33 pm

LOL I love the word GORGESSITY! The makeup is really gorgeous, I lovee the liner placement.

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:08 pm

Can’t take credit for that one – it’s a Lainey Gossip original!

Kat
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 1:59 am

I simply couldn’t resist the urge to try it right away!! This model just took my breath away, and I think I’m turning into a blondeholic, too.. : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/Tatsuu/chanel.jpg

Rocking this to the Robyn show tommorow night, love that it allows for chunkier accessories and bolder colors on your clothes, sometimes we just forget our makeup has to complement our look and vice-versa.. This is ver-sa-tile! Love it.

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:10 pm

OMG I heart Robyn!

Vero
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 12:00 pm

I’m rockin’ this today! Well, I kept my blush where I usually have it, but I did the eyeliner and I love it! I feel so “au courant”, lol…

thechicstorm
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 12:05 pm

Totes dew’n’ it for our partee next week!

katie
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 12:30 pm

with this blush placement i suppose it’s ok to have a bit of shimmer? i’ve been missing my joues contraste blushes….

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:12 pm

Yes I think so – since the product they used was actually an eyeshadow + highlighter. I think the placement being so close to the eyes will make the shimmer look modern – so, 2011, not early 2000s.

Maude
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 1:06 pm

Ahhh, I don’t know! As Arianne said, I’m scared it would indeed look amateur-ish on me since, you know, I’m not walking down a runway. (That and I love my retro wings way too much.) But giving it a try definitely won’t hurt, and I love the blush placement, so I will try this look as soon as I get a chance!

And after reading so much about dewy skin here, I finally tossed my mineral powder foundation and have been using a sample of Laura Mercier’s illuminating tinted moisturizer for the past few days. I’d used the normal tinted moisturizer previously and loved it, but much to my surprise, I like the illuminating one even more! I was scared I’d end up looking like a Twilight reject since there are actual SPARKLES in the product, but on skin it just gives me a beautiful glowy look. Much love.

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:13 pm

Oh really? I too would be fearful of the sparkles but then again Laura Mercier IS known for doing great skin… I suppose she would know her way around an illuminator.

Ashley
Friday, January 28/2011 at 2:42 am

I am still struggling with even getting the liquid to do the flicked out thing! now they go and change it on me! thats fashion for you.
I have been doing my blush higher on my cheekbones for ages, I forget where, but somebody said the higher placement on the cheekbones thins out the face and indeed it does! if I was to fill in my chubby germanic-looking cheeks with my peach blush… oh my I think I would look like I was two.

Gimped
Friday, January 28/2011 at 12:56 pm

I hear ya, Ashley, on the “flicked out thing.” I’m JUST getting the hang of liquid liners (thanks to Michelle!) and now they change it up.

I don’t know if I’ll be trying this look out. The liner frightens me a bit, and I think it would look funny under my glasses. And the blush placement … I MIGHT try that but we’ll see. Whether it works or not will be all about colour selection.

Ashley
Friday, January 28/2011 at 1:58 pm

i think blush is again one of those things that depends a little on face shape. Someone with an angular face like kate bosworth or halle berry looks good with it right on the apples old skool because it softens. so trying it different places is a good thing :) just no eighties plum contour streaks (eekk!) you know what im taking about.

sidney
Thursday, February 3/2011 at 7:33 pm

Is Holts Renfrew the only store in Toronto that carries Laura Mercier?

Friday, February 11/2011 at 4:56 pm

I might be wrong, but possibly at Sephora? I know the US website carries it.