Simple Life The importance of finding your “Life Cut,” plus other random bits of hair wisdom from my mane man Bill Angst

Jessica Alba Paris Fashion Week Spring 2011 Couture Gucci dinner The importance of finding your Life Cut, plus other random bits of hair wisdom from my mane man Bill Angst

Yesterday, I spent $170 on a haircut. Happily.

I know that sounds kind of insane, but I firmly believe that your haircut (and also hair colour) is one of the most important things—if not THE most important thing—that you can splurge on, beauty-wise. (Others include: foundation that matches your skin tone perfectly, eyeshadow and eyeliner that won’t smear and a scent that compels random people to stop you on the street.)

Now, I would never pay $170 for a haircut if I hadn’t found someone who understands my “Life Cut.”

Uh, what’s a Life Cut, you ask?

hair shears The importance of finding your Life Cut, plus other random bits of hair wisdom from my mane man Bill Angst

It’s a term coined by my friend S. (who recently discovered hers), and it means your HAIRCUT FOR LIFE.

You know what I mean. (Or at least I hope you do—if not, it means you might not have found the bliss that is the Life Cut yet.) It’s the cut that suits you best, flatters your features and face shape, looks decent even if you don’t style it (i.e. you shouldn’t have to battle it out with a blowdryer and/or flat iron every morning) and all-around just works with your lifestyle.

It’s not set in stone; for example, you can change the length to a few inches shorter or longer, or change the way you part it, or the way you style your bangs (if you have ‘em). And you can style it however you want to—curly, straight, ponytails, etc. The Life Cut definitely adapts as trends change. But in general, you never really deviate too much from the overall basic shape, because it makes your life SIMPLE and EASY.

Celebs are excellent demonstrators of our Life Cut theory. They have entire teams of the world’s best hairstylists on call (or at least most of them do—Christina Aguilera might be one exception), and you generally need an experienced, savvy, intuitive stylist to help you find your Life Cut. Plus, because presenting a consistent image is all-important for celebs, they don’t switch up their hair too much, nor do they have to, because the Life Cut just WORKS.

The Alba, above, is one example of someone who, after much experimentation, has found her life cut (and colour—let’s just say that the honey blonde wasn’t so flattering on Jess). And so is Diane Kruger, who knows that a simple, shoulder-length ‘do—never longer—works best on her fine hair. (FYI for fellow fine-haired types: if your stylist insists on cutting tons and tons of layers, RUN, do not walk, over to this post. Sadly, from recent pics I’ve seen, I think Naomi Watts has started layering again, and I think it’s all wrong.)

Diane Kruger 16th Annual Elle Women in Hollywood Tribute The importance of finding your Life Cut, plus other random bits of hair wisdom from my mane man Bill Angst

Demi Moore knows that her Life Cut = ultra-long, straight-ish, über-glossy brunette:

Demi Moore Nov 2010 The importance of finding your Life Cut, plus other random bits of hair wisdom from my mane man Bill Angst

And even though I actually prefer Halle Berry with longer hair, the short ‘do that she always goes back to is her Life Cut:

Halle Berry Golden Globes 2011 The importance of finding your Life Cut, plus other random bits of hair wisdom from my mane man Bill Angst

See what I mean now?

If you’re not sure what your Life Cut is, the best thing to do is spy on the celebs. Find your celebrity doppelgänger—someone with a similar hair type and face shape—and see what they’re doing. I’m telling you, Us Weekly is a treasure trove of hair inspiration. No lie.

Also important: finding the right hairdresser to give you said cut. If you’re not sure that your current guy/girl gets it, become a snoop. Follow the chicks you see with great hair and ask who does theirs.

Of course, if you live in Toronto, I’ve gotta say that the most talented man in town—by a long shot—is my hairdresser, Bill Angst. (Yes, I’m biased, but let me tell you—he does hair for a shiz-tonne ‘o VIPs.) I’m lucky: I got my Life Cut from Bill years and years ago, long before I became a beauty editor. Despite lots of cheating (because you’ve gotta be a guinea pig as a beauty ed), I always come back to him, and he always give me some slight variation on the original cut. In fact, whenever I consider that I maybe might want to move to a different city, or country, I decide that I can’t, because then I would be without Bill and would have Bad Hair all of the time.

Instead, my Life Cut is pretty much a variation on Michelle Monaghan’s. Except, you know, blonde and a little bit sharper on the ends.

straight hair with bangs The importance of finding your Life Cut, plus other random bits of hair wisdom from my mane man Bill Angst

NOW. A few hair gems I gleaned from Bill yesterday that may help you in your search for the perfect ‘do:

• Get “BJ bangs.” (This is a PG site; I’m not going to spell out that acronym for you.) What he means is: long, sexy, eye-grazing bangs usually flatter most people. ESPECIALLY if your face is on the oval/long side. Bill specifically angles mine on sides, as otherwise they can look too straight-across, especially when combined with the blunt cut below.
  • Blowing your hair dry upside down totally works, if you want to give your hair body without the annoyance factor of using a round brush.
  • Flat-iron your hair upside down, too, if you want to maintain the body. Bill always does this on my me straight after the blow-dry is finished, and it gives me super-straight hair but with BODY. Be careful not to burn yourself. (Oh, and I know wavy hair is more “in” now, but as per my Life Cut lecture, you still need a cut that you can wear with your natural texture.)
  • To smooth the top layer, flip your head back up and lift each section from the root with a comb, flat-ironing all the way from roots to ends. This way, you avoid getting any of those weird flat iron kinks, and you’re helping the cuticle to sit straight up from your roots, giving your ‘do a bit more body.

I’m going back to the salon in about a month for a colour job, and I’m SOOPER excited to tell you about another insidery highlighting technique that they’re going to do… so stay tuned on that front.

In the meantime, tell me:

Have you found your Life Cut?
Or are you a hair chameleon of the Nicole Richie school?
Do you have a hairdresser that you adore? Help a girl out—leave his/her name in the comments!

Emma
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 3:35 pm

I never thought of a life cut… I think I need to spruce mine up!

Marina(Makeup4All)
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 3:57 pm

I actually think about going to the salon next week so wish me luck! :) I am not yet sure what to go for and I still don’t have “my” stylist.
I would like to have a “Demi-Moore-like” hair I guess if only it was that long.

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 6:49 pm

Oh Marina I meant to Tweet you – I found out the secret behind Leighton Meester’s hair as per your request the other day. He does lowlights, not highlights – so your natural hair colour becomes the highlights. That’s how he gets that gorgeous tone on tone look! Genius.

katie
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 4:54 pm

What to do with a long, narrow face that is also somehow petite and hair that is fine and wavy (but not quite wavy enough that it actually looks good). I used to think it needed to be shorter but then I noticed that celine dion (!) and Sarah Jessica parker(whose face isn’t narrow, but still…) look good with long hair….now I am sooooo glad to have long hair (much easier) but can’t figure out the cut! Blunt? Layered? Any tips?????

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 6:57 pm

Ok I’m not a hairdresser but this is my 2 cents. What you want is a cut that makes your face look wider. Straight haired people can easily do bangs and it works well to hide the forehead and give a horizontal aspect to the face… but if your hair is wavy then bangs may not behave. You could do Brigitte Bardot-style (or Sienna Miller-style) longish bangs, angled at the sides and worn slightly parted in the centre. That might be easier to style and still sort of rounds off your face.

OR if you wear your hair quite wavy, and can’t do bangs, then the way you want to style it is to have width at the sides – ie. starting at the cheekbones or even higher. (See SJP here – face doesn’t look narrow at all: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/10/28/this-intrepid-reporter-just-tried-2-trends-as-seen-on-sjp-ombre-hair-and-the-new-brushed-out-curls/) The key is to have a lot of volume – I think that’s why SJP and Celine can pull off the length.

Otherwise if you’re not getting the volume, I would keep it on the shorter side – ie shoulder length or a few inches below, but not, like, boob-length – that will just drag your face down, especially if you don’t have bangs.

katie
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:47 pm

Thank you Michelle. I really appreciate that you actually respond to all of our questions/comments!

Lisa
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 5:38 pm

I need to go to Bill Angst! I have been looking for a hairdresser who can look at my features and body and tell me what would work best for me. I’ve gone to pretty high-end salons and paid a lot of money for cuts and colour, and I’m pretty adventurous with my hair and very open to feedback. But whenever I’ve asked, “What do you think would look good on me?” to any hairdresser, I’ve never really gotten a definitive answer. One of my dreams is to get a “What Not to Wear” style hair makeover where I get turned around and it’s a complete surprise. (Not by Nick Arrojo, by Ted Gibson.) :)

My next hair appointment will be with Bill Angst!! Would you recommend him for both cut and colour?

Thursday, January 27/2011 at 7:03 pm

Everyone does! He’s the best. And the most honest – no BS at all. Recommend him definitely for cut and colour but I personally don’t go for colour (although he has done it in the past), just because he’s pricey! I get Jeff to do it and Bill basically art directs the job anyway, so results are still great.

Not sure if he’s taking new clients right now – I think I heard that he was – but it’s worth a try if you can get in. Mention me if you do! Usually it takes at least a month to get an appointment so I hope you’re patient :-)

PS – totes agree re: WNTW. I never liked Nick’s cuts – he always forced radical change on the poor women. Ted’s a sweetie – have met him and he really knows his stuff, but is also very gentle with his suggestions.

Lisa
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 11:15 pm

Awesome! Thanks!

Arianne
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 8:28 pm

I always look forward to your hair posts, because every time you talk about your hair type, it sounds EXACTLY like my own.

I *love* the photo of your life cut, and I so want that cut myself. My hair is currently layered and looks awful when I don’t use heated tools. :( I really hope to meet my soul-hairstylist soon.

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 4:47 pm

I recommend everyone at Angst!

Tracy
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 9:01 pm

I totally just got my life cut last week. I kept growing my hair long, but it was soooo much work, and work that I was horrible at. I could never get it to look good. So I cut it off and it’s made my life sooo much easier, just like it was before I decided to grow it long.

Jane
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 9:45 pm

I totally agree with Bill! My Life Cut is long with long layers. It’s the only way my hair falls into place and requires the least amount of work on my behalf. I learned, the hard way, after repeated tries, that bangs are not part of my life cut. Once you figure it out, it’s comforting to know you don’t have to search for a new style :)

leetal
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 10:15 pm

I’ve been struggling so hard with my hair! I’m a student so I can’t afford the pricey cuts but still the salon I go to is known as being great in suburban Philadelphia. It always looks great at the salon and then I go home and it just isn’t working. I’ve been having “bad hair days” all year. I need help so bad and I’m dying to find my life cut! I’ve tried a bunch of styles that all look cute… but styling them is a huge problem outside of the salon (and it’s not that I don’t have any knowledge about styling… I’m a huge hair and makeup geek! I just don’t get it :( )

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 4:48 pm

What’s your hair type and face shape, Leetal? And what type of cut do you have now that’s not working?

Makeup Morsels
Friday, January 28/2011 at 12:38 am

Nice post :D Well, I’m not sure if I’m going to stick with my Life Cut all my life, since there’s still plenty of time to switch it up, but I like mine with long and layered with sidebangs. I really only get my hair cut once a year (and somehow avoid split ends), so I just need something low maintenance. I usually go for sidebangs instead of straight ones because I find it much easier to trim sidebangs myself.

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 4:49 pm

I wish I was brave enough to cut my own bangs! Have had so many bad experiences with even trained hairdressers that I don’t touch ‘em anymore. The good thing about Bill is that he does bang trims free in between cuts.

Stefanie
Friday, January 28/2011 at 2:27 am

Not really sure what my life-cut is but I think once I find it it will be mid-length. My closest celeb doppelganger is Mandy Moore so it’s tough to emulate her since like Nicole Richie, she’s also a total style chameleon (loved your hair post on her btw!). Any tips for super thick straight-haired girls? Also which of Mandy’s hairstyles did you like best?

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 4:56 pm

I LOVE Mandy Moore! (Here’s the post for anyone who missed it: http://beautyeditor.ca/2009/05/11/mandy-moore-woman-of-1000-hairstyles/)

As for your sitch… I think you’re lucky enough, if it’s thick, to be able to wear it long and straight and not have it look stringy. Long layers are probably a good idea though, just so it doesn’t look too heavy. I really like the Mandy Moore style where she has long, straight brown hair with bangs sofly parted to the sides.

Kirsti
Friday, January 28/2011 at 5:08 am

Just stumbled On your site and love! I’m an ex-Toronto girl living in hong kong and can’t find anyone who can cut my fine but thick, straight, highlighted blond ( with some weird grays creeping in). Colour is a disaster too. I visit every summer and will book ahead with bill and Jeff. Totally agree with the layers. Once I didn’t run and it was a disaster!! Thanks again.

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 4:59 pm

SO know what you mean – I lived in Australia for a few years and I feel like I had bad hair the entire time. (But I think it was more a matter of not finding the right stylist… unlike HK, they would at least have experience with Caucasian hair.)

Anyway, let me know how it goes with Bill/Jeff when you visit!

Gimped
Friday, January 28/2011 at 2:59 pm

I THINK I’ve found my life cut: the pixie. Variations on length and colour, but I used to wear it all the time. I’m growing it out to try something new — I rocked the pixie look for about 10 years — so who knows. Maybe the NEW style I’m aiming for will be my Life Cut.

I’m trying to figure out if I should venture into bangs or not… How the heck does one know if bangs will suit them, without diving in headfirst? I’ve been through too much hair trauma the last 12 months I don’t think I can take another heartbreak!! I’m a little on the heavy side, so I’m worried a bang might make my face look WIDER … but who knows!

Here’s a pic of my latest cut: http://twitpic.com/3ot49s The cut was done around Christmas, so add another 3/4″ to the length and that’s where I’m at now. I’m growing out all the layers (eww!!) and aiming for the angled bob look — think Katie Holmes/Keira Knightley. I don’t want the front to be any longer than chin length … well, maybe a BIT longer, but def not shoulder-grazing. If I DO try a bang I don’t think I should try it until my hair gets longer. Oh I don’t know!!!! Advice, anyone?

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 5:05 pm

Good question! Straight-across bangs are good if your face is on the long or oval side. They give a horizontal line so it breaks up your face a bit, makes it look more round. But NOT good, obviously, if you already have a round or squarish face.

Side-swept bangs, on the other hand, can flatter a wider variety of face shapes. They’re actually really good to help faces look less round. You just make sure they’re more smooth, not too choppy and layered – you don’t want to add bulk at the sides (which will emphasize the width). It’s more about the arch of your forehead showing on one side and lengthening you. Does that make sense?

Anyway, you kind of already have them from the looks of your photo! As your hair grows longer into the KH/KK bob, you could keep trimming that front section so that it stays that length… maybe style it so it sits a bit more on your forehead. I think it’s really flattering on you!

Gimped
Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 6:08 pm

SO glad I asked before committing to anything!!! Straight-across bangs are definitely out then :)

So those are BANGS happening around my face, not layers?? And I’m not sure what you mean by “smooth, not too choppy and layered.” Do you have a pic? Maybe that would help!

When you say “style it so it sits a bit more on your forehead” …. Do you mean, in the simplest of terms, style my hair so my forehead is more covered?

Thanks (again) Michelle!! And thx for the compliment ;)

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:05 pm

I think they’re bangs – I dunno – how short are they? I like ‘em, just would maybe style more so they’re sitting more on your forehead. A great way to do this is to blow dry it in the opposite direction (and blow dry your bangs first before you do the rest of your hair – that way it doesn’t get the chance to dry in a position that’s off your face). I just think more bang over the forehead looks really pretty and sexy.

Here are a few pics I like – nothing too layered:

Although Jenna Elfman’s cut is layered and it does look pretty cute:

Gimped
Sunday, February 13/2011 at 10:40 pm

I specifically told the stylist NOT to cut bangs so if they are then it’s a surprise to me :) I think the stylist just “shaped” pieces around my face.

I don’t think I could do something too short because of my glasses. I’m sure it would look nice, but the hair would get stuck in and around my glasses and drive me nuts I think :) They’d have to be long enough so they don’t sit on my frames.

Thanks for the styling tips, Michelle!! I’ll try that tomorrow.

Kim
Friday, January 28/2011 at 10:13 pm

So the blunt cut works well on ladies with long straight hair, but what about those who have long, thin, wavy hair? Do we still want a blunt cut? My face is quite round to boot.

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 5:13 pm

I think a shorter length (maybe just past the shoulders or shorter) will help it look thicker, as it does with fine straight hair. When fine hair gets too long, it can really look thin and stringy.

But I actually don’t think blunt cuts work for hair with any sort of curl in it. I think you still want some long layers… and like I said with Gimped above, a side-swept bang would be nice too, in order to de-emphasize the round face shape.

Something similar to Charlize Theron would look amazing: http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/beauty/best/7220/8/celebrity-bobs.html#stop

Jane
Saturday, January 29/2011 at 11:04 pm

I like the idea of a life cut. I have decided after just having mine shorter for the first time again in years, that I like it better medium length. My hair is fine but has tons of body and waves so layers are a must. But short hair is so much work. Flat iron (otherwise I have huge poufy mushroom hair) blow dryer etc.

I can honestly say I have never had a cut that looks great without trying. Not enough curl to be curly nor straight enough to airdry straight. Looks so much better blown out.

Now I am working on growing my hair for a few months to get some length back and then to decide to be fickle and switch up my hairdresser again or go back … decisions decisions!

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 5:16 pm

I agree with you about short hair. Not that I’ve ever had it myself, but everyone has the idea that it’s so easy – meanwhile it takes waaay more product and styling than long hair does.

Sounds like you do need a longer length to help weigh down all that body a bit. But I still maintain that with the right cut (admittedly hard to find) it IS possible for the waves to look good without a ton of styling. Not to push Bill Angst or anything… but he rocks :-)

Jane
Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 5:20 pm

I have heard that alot, and not just from you :) I will have to test it out, if not with Bill because lets face it I can’t afford the price of his cut but with an intermediate stylist.

Alyssa
Sunday, January 30/2011 at 11:48 am

I think the main importance if a good haircut is not the money spent, but as you said spent “happily”. Because all too many times I’ve gone home in an emotional rampage because some fool working at a high end salon who doesn’t left from right, hacked the shiz outta my hair! I too would happily spend 170 on a cut that I could feel more confident, that makes me happy, that I can’t wait to play around with it, that makes it easier to style each day, and the kind that gets you compliments. But as of yet u haven’t found my go to person that just, gets it. And as a result I spend an ass load of money at supposedly good salons to get hair I’m not happy with. Do I need to put myself through cosmetology to not spend money getting my hair hacked?!

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 5:21 pm

You’re preaching to the choir, sista! From what I’ve observed as both as a beauty editor and a customer, there’s no guarantee that paying top dollar at a high-end salon will result in a good cut. I think the only way is through word of mouth recommendations, when you can see their work on other people.

My mom actually found Bill by watching Cityline like 10 years ago. She observed all the hair makeovers and decided he was the only one who consistently made the women look better. (Because soooo many afters were worse than the befores!)

V
Monday, January 31/2011 at 12:28 am

Just wondering… have you tried any of the other stylists at Angst? I’m just considering different options as $150 on a hair cut is a bit steep for right now.

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 5:23 pm

I haven’t personally, but I would recommend everyone there. They just get it – there is no hard sell and they won’t let you leave with anything poufy or tacky. All very natural.

Not sure of their rates, but my mom has had Sandy cut her hair when Bill was away once, and a reader went to Marco with great results.

jude
Monday, January 31/2011 at 4:12 pm

michelle,

is the advice about no layers also applicable to girls with fine hair, but lots of it? when i go to the hairdressers they always say, ‘oh my gosh! you have so much hair!’ but the individual strands are actually quite fine. i’ve got long hair with layers starting just below my ears. not loving it but just not sure what to do with it either. plus i really want to keep it long. what are your 2 cents on this one?!

x

Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 5:25 pm

Is your hair straight or does it have some wave or curl? The layering thing really is more for stick-straight hair…. What is bothering you specifically about your current cut?

jessica ireland
Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 11:29 am

my life cut is probably a bob. i have fine stick-straight hair and i’m also quite low-maintenance, so trying out long hair again for a year drove me nuts. i love that it keeps me looking chic with minimum effort (e.g.: about 3-5 minutes to dry). mine’s similar to keira knightley’s (but blunt all the way around, no drastic going up at the back like posh’s – i feel like that’s dated now). you highlighted some great cuts on here! :)

Karen (healthandswellness.com)
Thursday, March 10/2011 at 3:31 pm

I’ve found my Life Cut…but it’s not the hair I love! Sigh. Alas, my fine hair doesn’t allow for much else and I just need to learn to accept this. There’s a reason every stylist always wants to cut my hair the same way!

Friday, March 11/2011 at 7:29 pm

Your hair always looks good! But what do you wish you had – what’s your dream hair? I could see you going a little longer maybe!

Karen (healthandswellness.com)
Monday, March 14/2011 at 1:15 pm

I’d love to have long, thick hair–I am obsessed with Julia’s hair :)

Sigh.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:28 pm

You and me both!

heather
Tuesday, March 15/2011 at 1:19 pm

you are a gold mine of hair inspiration! i’m growing out my thick, wavy hair from sort of choppy, too-layered, above-boobs length to hopefully much longer, softer and natural looking. something like this: http://www.thecoveteur.com/Hillary_Kerr

only prob is that her hair is thinner and more manageable, most likely.

hairdressers (i’ve never been to a high-end salon) always cut way too many shortish layers into my hair in order to reduce the bulk/thickness of my hair but it ends up looking bulky/puffy up top and then sort of choppy, raggedy, and flippy at the bottom. perpetually annoying to me. do you think my best bet is to keep growing it out so that the layers are longer and softer? my face is long and oval, so i’m also i wondering if i should get bangs again. blunt? they’re currently longish side bangs. help!

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:35 pm

Oh my gosh! THANK YOU for alerting me to the Hillary Kerr piece – I have been e-stalking pics of her because we have very similar hair and also (I think) similar body types… and I love her style.

Have you seen my layers rant? http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/08/11/got-fine-straight-long-hair-like-naomi-watts-dont-listen-to-silly-hairdressers-who-want-to-layer-it/

That was directed at fine-haired people like me (and Hillary) but I have to say I’m not in general a proponent of short layers on anyone. (I will admit to not knowing that much about thick hair, but to me it seems kind of crazy to cut short layers when you kind of need the weight of long hair to make it not pouf up.)

So yeah… I’d say to grow out so that the shortest are no higher than your jawline. And YES to bangs if you have a long face shape. Don’t get blunt, you want them to be slightly angled so they’re longer at the sides. That way you can wear both straight across and pushed aside like Hillary here. Trust me, I have this exact same style!! Here’s a pic of what you want: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/05/28/sienna-millers-new-bangs-i-think-ive-just-found-my-new-haircut/

heather
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 4:23 pm

totally. LOVE those sienna bangs and agree about needing longer layers. no more poufiness! now i just need to find a genius hair stylist here in vancouver…

thanks so much for your advice
h

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:42 pm

My pleasure! Good luck!

Nic
Wednesday, October 19/2011 at 11:27 am

I know my life cut and as an asian with stick straight black hair, it’s got to be long and blunt, but I DREAD going to the hair salon every time because they try to jazz up what I want (which is really just the simplest haircut in the book really), and add layers, or try to thin or ‘texturize’ it which they only inform me of it AFTER it’s been done. I just leave the salon feeling violated every. single. time. UGH! And it’s not just one salon, it’s almost every mid to higher end salon I go to!

Jenna
Monday, January 23/2012 at 8:33 pm

So I know this post is old, but I just have to say THANKYOU SO MUCH for all your hair cut posts. I found your blog around 12 months ago (through this post: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/11/10/reader-question-how-do-i-grow-out-my-botched-overly-layered-haircut/ – yes, even people with super thick hair can have dodgy layer issues!), and since then have had to curl and wave hair to cover up the bad layers, had cheapie cuts to get the layers and thinning to even out, then had one more uninspiring hairdresser experience before a great one this morning! It might’ve even been my life cut (or it might just be the combination of the good hair thinning and the hot weather talking!). Keep it coming!

Shelley
Thursday, August 8/2013 at 3:00 pm

I have fine hair but a lot of it and I am having all the same problems as the ladies above. Its taken me 3 painful years to grow my hair but now it is over layered and over texturized. I just want to cry! Well I read your article and as I am lucky to be in Toronto I have booked and appointment with Bill! I am so excied and not sure how I will sleep for the next week until I can get in to see him. $170 is a lot for a haircut but I am hoping it will change my life!

Shelley