Dark Victory Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Ombre Asian Hair Jamie Chung The Hangover Part II premiere 2011 Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Glossy, thick, sleek, shiny: these are just a few words to describe the follicular advantages that most Asian women I know are blessed with. Jealous? As a naturally dull-, mousy-, flat-haired Caucasian, you bet I am.

But let’s talk colour now. Because for Asian hair, that’s when things can get a bit dicey.

As you know, we’ve been talking a lot about the Ombré hair colour trend—which involves a gradual change in colour from darkest, at the roots, to lightest, at the ends—and I’ve received a couple of reader inquiries about whether the look can be done on Asian hair.

The good news is YES! It can. (And don’t worry, there’s no bad news.) But I thought I’d take this opportunity to pick the brain of our favourite hair colour genius (and the guy who did MY Ombré a few months back), Luis Pacheco, consulting colourist for Clairol and owner of Hair on the Avenue in Toronto.

What I wanted to know was: Is Asian hair harder to colour? (It is.) Can it be DIY’d at home? (It can.) And how do you choose the right shade? Read on…

Why Asian hair is more challenging to colour

According to Luis, it’s because of the “thickness, darkness and concentrated levels of pigment.” That means it can resist holding on to the colour—and if you attempt to lighten it too much, it can go brassy. (Great.)

To avoid that happening, there are a couple of things Luis advises. First, you want to stay within two levels of your natural shade. I know that’s not quite as exciting as a radical change, or even the Ombré look, but as you can see on Miss Lindsay Price here, a just slightly lighter all-over brunette can still be really pretty:

Lindsay Price brown hair Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

It’s also nice on Kelly Hu:

Kelly Hu brown hair Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Now this is a bit lighter still, but I ADORE Devon Aoki’s hair here. (If I’m not mistaken, her natural colour isn’t too different from this anyway.)

Devon Aoki curly hair Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Maggie Q’s shade here is similar, but on her, it’s borderline—maybe a fraction too light.

Maggie Q brown hair Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

And here’s Lindsay Price again… I think this is definitely getting into the “too blonde” territory. The condition of her hair doesn’t look great here.

Lindsay Price blonde hair Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

All of this is to say: lighter shades are awesome, but proceed with caution. Not only do you risk the dreaded brassiness, but too light of a tone on Asian skin can also wash out your skin tone.

How to choose the right shade of colour for Asian hair

So we’ve established that you should only go within TWO levels of your natural colour. What else do you need to know?

Stay away from cool colours—anything with blue, green or violet undertones. Because Asian skin has golden tones, you want WARMTH. “Asian women tend to have golden skin tones, so they look best with warm shades like golds, coppers and reds,” says Luis. “Your safest bet is to choose a warm tone in the gold or caramel range.”

You also need enough colour to get complete absorption. Because Asian hair is so thick, it can make colour application quite challenging. One solution is to buy more than one box of the hair dye you’re using. Seriously—if your hair is very coarse, or long, or both, you can’t expect one measly box to do the job. So you might need two or three to get the best results.

Solution number two: a new product you might want to try is the brand new Nice ‘n Easy Color Blend Foam from Clairol (which we’ve been talking up here and here lately).

Clairol Nice n Easy Color Blend Foam Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Because it’s a foam, the formula gives you “more product volume, and it’s easier to spread,” says Luis. “These two factors combine to help ensure that the hair is completely covered and saturated with colour.”

Pro tip: No matter what colour you use, if you’re covering grey, leave it on for an extra 10 minutes, since Asian hair can also be very stubborn.

Pro tip #2: Asian hair is pretty resilient (even with colour, it doesn’t dry out as easily as other hair types), but you should still make sure to use a good conditioning treatment after colouring. The best ones come in your box of hair colour, such as the ColorSeal Gloss in Nice ‘n Easy.

How to enhance Asian hair with a darker colour

Somewhat less exciting/trendy than going lighter or Ombré is enhancing your hair with a close colour match. “My personal favourite for Asians is natural shiny black or darkest brown,” says Luis.

Think Olivia Munn:

Olivia Munn shoulder length hair Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Or Lucy Liu:

Lucy Liu Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Shades that Luis recommends to get this look:

How to Ombré Asian hair

Okay, now let’s talk Ombré. The only examples of it I could find on Asian hair that even come close were on Maggie Q again. [Update: Since the date of publication, Jamie Chung, at the top of this post, is a newer example of Ombré Asian hair.] Although I’m not even sure you could call this Ombré—it looks more like balayaged highlights at the ends.

Maggie Q Ombre2 Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Here’s another Maggie Q shot. Kind of Ombré-looking, right?

Maggie Q Ombre Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

And then there is this unfortunate Sandra Oh highlighting experiment:

Sandra Oh Ombre Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Yikes. So instead let’s look to a couple of celebs who, while not Asian, have naturally dark brunette hair AND wicked Ombré colour.

Did I say have? Okay, that should be past tense in the case of Ashlee Simpson. This was pretty before she hacked it off and dyed it blonde…

Ashlee Simpson Ombre Hair Color Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Shenae Grimes has a slightly softer look:

Shenae Grimes Ombre Hair Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

To get the look on virgin hair, the instructions are the same as in the original Ombré tutorial:

1. Choose a shade of permanent hair colour that is two (three levels max) lighter than your natural colour. I repeat: when you’re choosing your Ombré shade for the ends, stay away from anything too blonde—it’ll look weird. Stick with a warm, tone-on-tone colour. Think caramel tips! That will look HAWT.
  2. Part your hair in four sections. (Divide it from ear to ear and from the middle of your forehead to the middle of the nape of your neck.) Using elastic bands, section off the last third of the hair length—the ends of the hair in each section.
  3. Apply the colour to the sectioned off ends and let it sit for approximately 20 minutes.
  4. Remove the elastic bands and spread the colour about an inch above the pre-sectioned spot, where the elastic bands used to be. Be very, very careful when you’re working on the degradation of colour. According to Luis, on Asian hair it needs to be a really seamless transition from dark to light. You do NOT want a stripe around the bottom circumference of your hair. Once you’re happy with the blending, let the colour sit for another 10 minutes.
  5. Wash your hair, condition and style as normal.

If your hair already has a dark permanent dye in it, I suggest seeing a pro for advice before attempting this at home—colour cannot lift colour. And if you have existing highlights and want to add a darker colour on top, just follow the steps here.

Get the products

Have your say

Are you a fan of blonde or Ombré on Asian hair—or do you prefer a more natural look?
If you’re Asian, do you or have you ever dyed your hair?
Luis’ last piece of advice: “Never, EVER go blonde.” Anyone with me on this? Case in point:

blonde asian Reader question: Can I colour—or even Ombré—my Asian hair at home without making it go weird and brassy?

Kat
Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 6:06 pm

I’m officially embarassed to admit to watching this, but this last part reminded me of this one episode of Paris Hilton’s new BFF where Paris forced this poor asian girl to dye her hair blonde, as some sort of test of trust. (WTF right? I know.) At first she refused categorically (as anyone in their right mind would), but then revised and did it to avoid elimination. It’s crazy what people will do for money. (and Paris Hilton, apparently.)

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:14 pm

She did not! OMG – so evil.

You know what is funny – back in 2004 or something my friend and I went out for Halloween as Paris & Nicole, except neither of us wanted to be Nicole…so we ended up being Paris & Paris. How wrong we were!!!

Roxie
Friday, December 23/2011 at 11:17 am

NEVER?!!!

Zoe
Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 8:37 pm

Thanks for the great advice! I’ve never dyed my hair before but have wanted to for a long long time because I was scared that it would look off. I really want to ombre it but i’m not sure which colour I want it to fade in to. Some of my friends suggested blue, turquoise or purple (see, they like to lean towards the crazier colours…) and I think it could turn out nice, but I’m not sure? Any advice on this?

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:16 pm

I don’t know that I can advocate the crazy colours! You’re asking the wrong girl :-)
I know Luis says to go with neutral or ash shades (not golden) so probably the best thing to do, if you want the Shenae Grimes-type version, is to go to the store and match your current colour to the box… then move up 3-4 levels lighter.

Makeup Morsels
Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 9:14 pm

I think Maggie Q is so pretty! I’ve got Asian hair, and the one time I tried to henna it, it just refused to take on the color. So then I gave up…

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:17 pm

I would love to henna but so afraid of it!

V
Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 9:22 pm

Great pointers Michelle! Personally, I get highlights put in just because I hate the obvious line that appears when my hair starts growing back in. Highlights are just a bit easier to maintain. Like you recommended, keeping the colouring within a few shades of your natural colour and WARM toned is key or else you will be faced with the dreaded fake wig look. I find coopers and red toned browns absolutely beautiful on Asian skintones

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:18 pm

THIS. The root line was the main thing I really hated about permanent colour, at least when I let a colourist convince me to go solid platinum blonde. Eeks! Not my best look.

Jess
Tuesday, February 1/2011 at 11:23 pm

Great advice Michelle! As someone with Asian hair, I have been searching high and low for images/tips on getting that balayage look, and Maggie Q does it so well.

Thanks again

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:18 pm

My pleasure!

Donna Vitan
Wednesday, February 2/2011 at 3:51 am

Uugh, I really want to achieve that gradual colour and it’s something that I’ve been mulling over for a long time. Thanks for the advice and links, though it seems that the wave and curls add to the texture and allure.

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:19 pm

Yes – I definitely think you the Ombre look works best with a little texture. And no bangs!

Mari Ohira
Wednesday, February 2/2011 at 6:02 am

I did highlights twice: the first one was coppery and didn’t show in my Asian hair; the second one was platinum blonde and it was just terrible – not to mention it dried up my hair. These days, I’d rather go natural.

Interesting that when I was “blond” people always asked me why on earth I wanted to ruin such a beautiful mane of hair – and said that if they could, they’d love to have Asian-like hair. Well, we Asians envy your golden locks as well! I guess we’re just never satisfied with what we’ve got.. ;)

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:21 pm

So true! I’m all for embracing the trends and having fun but you’ve also got to accept what you’ve got and work it!

Mellyjo
Wednesday, February 2/2011 at 2:01 pm

I think it’s really hard to Ombré on your own (read: demarcation line, funny colour). if you want it – go to the professionals.

Virginia
Wednesday, February 2/2011 at 2:54 pm

ook I guess next time I dye my hair at home I’ll buy two boxes since last time when I used one the color it didn’t go all over. Since I have asian hair I leave it in for 5-7 min more before I wash it all out for the color to actually show.
I don’t like Ombre on asian hair because it looks like they’re growing out their natural hair and at the bottom is the hair that was dyed.
Thanks for the advice. Also if there’s any asian related beauty tip you can think of please post since this one helped =)

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:22 pm

Hmmm – maybe I’ll do something on makeup for Asian eyes, since my eyes are kind of shaped that way. I find without a crease to my eyelids it’s very hard to do much with eyeshadow as it just disappears. Mascara and liquid liner and waterproof liner are my BFFs. :-)

Lesa
Wednesday, February 2/2011 at 7:12 pm

Maggie Q’s hair looks amazing and is something I would have killed to achieve a few years ago. But now I’ve given up because trying to lighten black hair is SO high maintenance it’s not even worth it. And for that reason, I would NEVER try at home; only let a pro attempt.

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:26 pm

Oh darn – but good to know :-(

Elle Sia
Thursday, February 3/2011 at 4:30 am
Kat
Monday, February 7/2011 at 6:47 pm

Devon Aoki is actually only half asian, her mother is of german/english descent. So technically… she doesn’t count :P

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:27 pm

True… I guess I just wanted an excuse to post her pic! :-)

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:26 pm

She does! I love her look.

Vivyan
Monday, February 21/2011 at 6:30 pm

So i am really excited to ombre my hair I am asian and I have never died my hair before I want to model my hair off of http://cargocollective.com/closetvisit#937829/Sue-Tsai

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:50 pm

I like it!

Gabi
Tuesday, November 29/2011 at 9:39 pm

awesome!!

monica
Saturday, February 26/2011 at 5:08 pm

cute hair

O
Sunday, March 20/2011 at 7:31 pm

most of the women posted here aren’t full asian…

Monday, March 21/2011 at 12:08 am

Tough to find pics of Ombre on Asian women! If you can find some I will happily post.

Tab
Sunday, April 17/2011 at 11:01 pm

Thanks so much! I’m asian and have never dyed my hair but have been thinking about it the past few months and wondered about the new foam/mousse products. Wanted to get as close as possible to my current hair color which is a dark brown (starting to grey a bit! Yikes). But some girls I know were saying you shouldn’t ever color your hair out of a box so that made me pause. However, after reading this I’m gonna go for it! Thanks again!

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 5:11 pm

My pleasure! If you try it let us know how it goes!

Priti
Thursday, May 12/2011 at 3:18 am

Hi Michelle,

I used to highlight my hair and am trying to grow it out. I love the Ombre look, but how can I achieve it at home if I have almost 6 inches of virgin hair and the rest of my hair is highlighted?

Monday, May 23/2011 at 4:49 pm
Vicky
Tuesday, May 24/2011 at 4:10 am

Peggy Wang is asian and has (had?) ombre hair… it’s blue though. Nonetheless, I think it’s quite pretty.

Nina
Monday, June 6/2011 at 5:25 pm

another good thing. This may not work for everyone but use lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide AND YES FOR asian hair. even though it gives it a brassy look only by the bottom and gradually do like normal hair dye but go softer. condition it it takes away the brass.

Juliette
Sunday, June 12/2011 at 7:03 am

Hi,
I have been DYING to do this since November but I never really took the iniative to do it. I’m half asian but inherited the texture of asian hair, though I have dark brown hair. I’m a bit skeptical to dye my hair at home, but don’t want to get it done professionally since it’s expensive and I keep hearing about how easy-peasy it is to do. I’ve been collecting images in a file on my desktop of my ideal ombre hair looks for the past 3 months. Ideally, i’d like to achieve the looks of Rachel Bilson (http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/36602-get-rachel-bilsons-ombre-hair-at-home/1288127138_rachel-bilson-290.jpg), Lykke Li (at 1:54 in ‘I Follow Rivers’ : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZYbEL06lEU [http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/jjjjjjjjdb/Capturedcran2011-06-12064102.png]), or this blogger’s (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VYjD5ZBmvP4/Tcsqha6EK5I/AAAAAAAAATE/7jHKmCH1tqA/s1600/ombre+hairrrr.jpeg). Those are my favorite looks.
I really want golden tips and reflects, and not just the tips. I like them pretty high (about at the chin).

Here’s a picture of my hair :

As you can see, my hair’s textured and a little messy (it’s not naturally like that) but if i had ombre hair, I’d style it that way. My skin colour is olive, close to Rumi Neely’s, but a bit tanner (http://jbrandjeansblog.com/files/2010/03/image-Rumi-Japan-2.png).

I’ve never dyed my hair myself or by a professional and I don’t really know anything about doing so. If I do my hair, I’ll have help from my friend who dyes hers regularly, though. But in the comments of your previous Ombre hair post, I saw that Luis recommended the Nice N Easy Color Blend foam in #9 (light blonde). What will this color turn out like in my hair? It’s thick, but not coarse and it’s dark brown, not black.

I’d like to do this for prom but am afraid it’ll turn out horrible if it’s not like I wanted…
And I also read not to bleach it, which one of my friends told me to beforehand.. But will it work if I put on the color from my chin to the tips (for example) for a certain amount of time, and then the second time I put the colour a little further down, and continue on and on until I reach the tips. That way there’ll be more colour concentrated on the bottom ? And what do you recommend to do so it doesn’t have a harsh contrast line (ew, like Drew’s)?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Friday, July 29/2011 at 4:47 pm

Hey Juliette – so sorry for the late reply, I’m really behind on all the comments.
I would follow Luis’ instructions exactly in this post: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/21/why-yes-it-is-possible-to-do-your-own-ombre-hair-colour-at-home/ If you do it like that it won’t give you a harsh demarcation line. As for the shade – I would stay within 3-4 shades, check the back of the box to see how light it will go on your natural colour. (It will lighten natural hair so no need to pre-bleach.) If your hair is quite thick you may need to use two boxes. I hope that helps!

Juliette
Saturday, July 30/2011 at 4:37 pm

I actually already did it! haha
and I bleached it because the dye didn’t do anything to my hair.
Result : http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/jjjjjjjjdb/hair.jpg

the picture isn’t too accurate though. All around it’s blonder and the tips too.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 9:35 am

Looks great! You’re so pretty!

Juliette
Sunday, July 31/2011 at 12:16 pm

Thanks! :)

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 4:03 pm

By the way any chance you can post exactly what you used to get that shade? Just got an email from another Asian reader who said the first time she Ombre’d it was too subtle. What exactly did you use to get that shade you have now?

Juliette
Sunday, July 31/2011 at 7:16 pm

I used a blonde lightening kit.
I don’t remember what shade # it actually was, but you pick the one where it says for medium brown to black.
I then did the tips for 20 minutes, then added more for 20 minutes and then continued my way at the top. I tried not to do a harsh line by putting bleach randomly higher than other strands.
The whole process took 3 hours, only because it was my first time doing ANYTHING to my hair and I was too sure about what to do. But there you have it :)

Sunday, August 14/2011 at 4:11 pm

Awesome – thanks Juliette!

Juliette
Sunday, June 12/2011 at 7:12 am
Juliette
Sunday, June 12/2011 at 1:13 pm
jenna
Sunday, June 19/2011 at 9:14 pm

actually, not all asians have a warm undertone. i myself am cool, so it’s wrong to generalize saying asians should stick to warmer colors. also, all asian hair has red undertones in it, which when lightened, become orange and brassy. asians should look to ash colored dye in order to counter the red/orange-unnatural-looking hair that results from bleaching. :)

daisy
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 7:44 am

Hey I have pretty much black virgin hair, do you think i could achieve a honeyish colour at the tips with no bleach? Have used bleach years ago and as youd guess it went all brassy! Thanks :-)

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 7:42 pm

You could try the Nice n Easy instructions here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/21/why-yes-it-is-possible-to-do-your-own-ombre-hair-colour-at-home/ I’m not an expert on this but if the colour doesn’t take, scroll up to read Juliette’s comments above (and photo!) on what she did.

D.
Monday, August 8/2011 at 1:46 pm

I’m so glad there are tutorials like this on the web! For Ombré AND on asian hair! I’ve no idea what I’d do without you guys. I’m going to try this out next week and I can’t wait! I’m going for those caramel tints, like you suggested, tough I’m not sure how it would look with my skin. I have an indian brown skin you see, not very dark but if I stay in the sun for too long my skin darkens. Quick advice before I go for it?

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:41 pm

I actually really love it on darker skin tones! Check out this pic of Ciara: http://www.new-hair-style.com/long-sleek-hairstyle-of-ciara-with-blonde-shades.html
I like that it’s just at the very bottom tips – I would probably do that so that it doesn’t blend too much into your skin. I hear what you’re saying re: the caramel colour, maybe go for something a bit lighter to get a contrast. Either way I would do a few test strands to see how it looks before you take the plunge with your entire head of hair!

Lauren
Wednesday, August 31/2011 at 3:18 am

Hey,
i have black Asian hair, i’ve been looking for something like this/doing this to my hair, but i want it to look natural. Since im getting sick of my black hair. By, any chance do you think this would look good ?
Plus what color should i stick with? theres so many color shade for browns LOL
i’m planning to still keep my hair black and get some what of colors into my hair.
Thanks :)

Marie
Thursday, September 15/2011 at 1:13 am

Hi, girl.
I’m an asian girl and I did ombre lights today. I’m verry happy. It’s looking very natural and soft.
And I want to be blond some day, you pick a very bad look for asian blond, but Sabrina Sato it’s a pretty good example of gorgeous asian blond.
I love your posts, It’s my first comment, because of my bad bad English.

Amanda
Friday, October 7/2011 at 11:53 pm

Asian with black virgin hair here, considering the ombre dye. I’m kind of worried about how it’ll look though…

On another note, that was a bad example of a blonde Asian. I mean, yeah, blonde hair on Asian that really works is hard to come by, but I don’t think it’s impossible.

Case in point. Jessica Jung from SNSD is blonde Asian hotness.

Julie
Thursday, October 20/2011 at 9:03 pm

i read your post. i plan to ombré my hair. i just saw rumi from fashion toast with her ombré hair. i was soooo convinced i should do it

Rebecca
Sunday, October 23/2011 at 11:34 pm

Heyy I’m Asian (Korean) and I don’t have a golden skin tone, more whiter..?
And I have straight dark dark brown hair, (sometimes look black but reddish brown in the sun) and I wanted to get streaks in my hair….I was thinking about pink or blue. what do you think? :) :S

sam
Tuesday, October 25/2011 at 9:49 pm

wait, was there supposed to be a video/tutorial for how to do it on asian hair? i cant see it, if there is supposed to be one. or a link or steps or something:O

Wednesday, October 26/2011 at 9:15 am

The steps are no different from the DIY Ombre process mentioned in the article: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/02/01/reader-question-can-i-colour%e2%80%94or-even-ombre%e2%80%94my-asian-hair-at-home-without-making-it-go-weird-and-brassy/
Just keep these tips in mind for colour selection and how much you use if you are Asian.

sam
Wednesday, October 26/2011 at 11:34 pm

ah thank you:D oh but sorry, I have one more thing I have to ask. In the article above, you were saying to “be very, very careful when you’re working on the degradation of colour. According to Luis, on Asian hair it needs to be a really seamless transition from dark to light. You do NOT want a stripe around the bottom circumference of your hair.”
How can I maximize the chance that the transition will be subtle and flowing; gradual? do you have any tips? this’ll be my very first experience dying my hair, so I’m just tryna be very cautious:D thanks

Anna
Saturday, November 5/2011 at 5:01 am

Finally. Something for asian hair. Yay.

Crazi
Thursday, December 15/2011 at 1:06 am

Well, I’m Asian-mixed. I have bleached blonde right now, and I’m loving it.

Kelly
Wednesday, December 21/2011 at 5:57 am

I got my hair dyed at the salon today, and I wanted a warm, medium brown with caramel-blonde balayaged highlights (so basically a toned-down version of ombre). After 3.5 hours, it resulted in a very dark brown/basically black with blonde highlights that didn’t really look balayaged or ombre! Since my hair was virgin and naturally black (I believe the stylist said it was the 2nd-darkest level, so black that looks dark brown in the light), I was wondering what I can do to make it less cool-toned? Would I be able to use a semi-permanent colour to change the tone and make it warmer, or box dye to lighten it in any way? Since I just shelled out a couple hundred at the salon I’m loathe to get it professionally done again.

Thank you so much!

Caro
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 10:52 am

Actually blonde hair can look good on Asian women. I see some Korean celebs with great very light hair. I think it depends on the person and their skin tone. Not all Asian women have the same skin colouring so I don’t think using the last picture as an example was a fully truthful “case-in-point”. Just as not all colours look good on Caucasians, the same goes. Honestly, I think that a wide range of beauty info for Asian women in Canada is just not available at this moment… it’s kind of illustrated in this article as the author seems to be stretching a bit.

Caro
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 11:03 am

oops, I mean to clarify that not all shades of browns or blondes or etc look good on Caucasian women just because they are Caucasian. As one commenter pointed out, Devon Aoki can look good with blonde hair and she is part Asian. One commenter replied that she is “only” part Asian so it doesn’t count but why can’t it? The lady in the last photo is part African-American too but why does she represent every Asian with blonde hair…? My point is that I’m a little frustrated here, as people seem to be looking at racial identifiers and picking and choosing, rather than actual colour-matching. It’s revealing a bit of a narrow-minded conception of beauty…

Sara
Monday, February 27/2012 at 7:31 pm

I’m 23, asian, and I have NEVER dyed my hair. ..I was always too nervous.. first because my hair grows so fast and second because..well..I love the natural color of my hair and I was scared I could never get that colo back if I dyed it! So, when the ombre style came out.. I was pretty stoked about it! I have yet to get it done..still kind of nervous..but hopefully for spring I’ll be all over it!

soooo
Friday, March 8/2013 at 11:10 am

this article is so offensive. first off, not all asians have the same skintone or undertones. second off, you have super poor examples of…everything. “never go blonde” is such a stupid piece of advice. so white people can, but asians can’t because it “doesn’t fit our skintone”. ridiculous. get an asian writer to give advice about asian hair, not whities.

venna
Saturday, July 20/2013 at 4:08 am

Wooah, calm down! Haha this article was written with the intention of HELPING people, it’s not here to dictate your choices regarding what you should and shouldn’t be doing. The article was written from the writers POV, so naturally there will be some things that you’ll disagree with. It’s difficult to write a general article when there are a lot of different factors that can contribute to the outcome of the dying such as different skin tones for different types of Asians, different hair types etc.

You’re being hypocritical by saying that the article is offensive, and yet here you are calling people ‘Whities’. I’m sure the article was only written with the intention of helping people, so if you disagree with anything written in it, make sure you create a comment full of constructive criticism as opposed to harshly responding to it. I’m sure the writer wouldn’t appreciate such negative comments.

By the way, one Asian dishing out information would be no better because just because you’re Asian does not mean you can write about all Asian groups.

Kaleigh
Monday, June 10/2013 at 4:01 pm

I saw this the other day, I think blonde looks beautiful on her!

kai
Thursday, July 25/2013 at 9:13 am

Except for the first photo, Lucy Liu, and Sandra Oh. All other “Asians” on this article, are half white, or half black (Kimora Lee). Their skin, hair, and eye colour, etc. are different from someone who is 100% Asian. Just sayin’.

Diana
Tuesday, August 13/2013 at 11:33 pm

The blogger girl song of style or Aimee song has a good ombre actually.

nookie
Sunday, September 15/2013 at 9:20 am

I’m sick of white people saying never go blonde to Asians, and dark skinned people!!!! Seriously.
Yes, there are Asians who doesn’t look good with blonde hair, but there are Asians actually rock with blonde hair!
After all, every single person has their own “perfect” figure, and no one should judge them for who they are, and who they want to be.
Maybe he or she doesn’t look good in your eyes, but maybe they’re happy with their own appearance.
So who are you so tell us NEVER GO BLONDE???
I am a blonde Asian myself! And I absolutely love my hair!!!

Alexia
Friday, December 20/2013 at 5:31 am

I really appreciate the usefulness and the good intentions this article has, but I do think it’s a tad myopic to say that all asians should never go blonde, as if they all have the same skin tones and the same facial features.

Hair colour suitability is largely dependent on skin tones and facial features. I have seen caucasian women look horrible as a blonde, and likewise I have seen asian women who do look fantastic with light hair. Granted, the features that statistically dominate the asian race may indicate that blonde hair is largely not flattering, I would not generalise and say this is true for all asians.

It would be a shame to limit your hair colour choices just because you were born a certain race. Besides, our perception of what works or what does not work is largely affected by our environment. Because we hardly see any asians with naturally blonde hair (though they do exist in the mongolia region), we immediately find it unnatural to see a blonde asian. Mind you, some Australian aboriginals are born with blonde hair naturally, and they have on average a much darker skin tone than asians.

Also, I know plenty of asians who are paler than the pale caucasians, who is to say they can’t go platinum blonde??? I am a mixed race (caucasian/mainly asian) and platinum blonde looks awful on my medium skin tone, but I get a lot of compliments with an ashy (cool) dark blonde hair which people often assume to be natural.

Primrose
Friday, July 25/2014 at 12:34 pm

Never go blonde on an asian? Google Guy Tang my dear. Tear that stereotype right off! If women of other races can get away with going blonde so can we. Obviously the asian woman with platinim blonde hair went too light. But to say NEVER go full blonde? I beg to differ.

TC
Wednesday, August 27/2014 at 9:37 am

I’m Chinese and blonde…. I did it after seeing Guy Tang last year.
Asians can go blonde it just takes patience and an understanding of skin colour. I have very cool asian skin so have ash blonde hair.
This “expert” obviously hasn’t a clue if she thinks ALL asians have warm skin and NO asians can go blonde!