The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if you’re a beauty editor…)

Angelina Jolie applying Chantecaille lip gloss Golden Globes

Let’s put aside for a moment the fact that someone in the UK actually thought it would be a worthwhile use of time and money to commission a study on how many different beauty prodz the average British woman carries in her handbag. (Reported in the Daily Mail, of course. Told you they were the Newspaper of Record for Generally Useless Studies.)

That’s not the only ZOMG-worthy revelation in this juicy little news story, though. Unlike Angelina Jolie, who obviously has a minion or two to lug her stuff around (including the Chantecaille Golden Globes lip gloss), the average woman walks around with a whopping £256 (C$407) worth of cosmetics and fragrance in her purse. And that consists of 13 products valued at about £20 (C$32) each.

Wowza.

Now, I’m—obviously—all for enjoying beauty and having fun and making yourself look purty and stuff. And I know things are more expensive (I think) in the UK. But that’s a whole lotta money, no? And carrying 13 products, well, that can’t be good for your posture either.

So now I’ll put on my best Carrie Bradshaw voice: I couldn’t help but wonder… Are we similarly beauty-obsessed here across the pond in Canada? Let’s take a closer look at this “study” and find out—and then I’ll show you what’s in MY handbag.

So here’s how things break down for our British counterparts:

Beauty by numbers The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

Aside from how frickin’ expensive everything is, does anything seem strange to you?

SO MANY QUESTIONS over here. Such as why women would carry around full-sized bottles of all these things if they’ve already put their faces on before leaving the house. Or at least I assume they have, because another Daily Mail “study” that we discussed in great detail last month told us that a full third of women wear makeup every single time they go out. Remember?

Personally, I don’t leave the house without a bare minimum of concealer, blush, mascara and lip balm, so my handbag essentials are really all about the quick, on-the-go touch-up.

But now, based on the fact that they’re carrying things like moisturizer and foundation, I’m wondering if British women are all going to work completely bare-faced, and then pulling a full Stephanie Kaye from Degrassi Junior High transformation in the office bathroom. Do you think?

stephanie kaye The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

Or am I missing something? (And if they ARE applying a full face of makeup at work, then I ask them this: Can you REALLY do a good job on your foundation or eyeshadow or bronzer or even nailpolish application under dim or fluorescent office lighting? I’m just sayin’.)

Anyway, not that I am an expert or anything—I just play one on the Internet—but I thought I’d open up MY handbag to show you what random things beauty editors carry around. Here we go:

LIP PRODUCTS: Ask any beauty editor. It is of vital importance to have AT LEAST three or four different lip products (balm + tinted balm + lipstick + stain + gloss) on your person at any given time. (And possibly one could further break down the balms category into tubes, sticks and pots.) So usually I have more than this, but since I’m taking a temporary hiatus from the bright lip, I’ve pared down. Today, it was…

Givenchy Gelée d’Interdit, $29

This isn’t out until April, so I don’t have a photo, but it looks kind of like this. It’s one of the new hybrid “gloss-balms” I was talking about here. LOVE.

Givenchy lip gloss The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm, $7.99

Brand new (out this month) and gives your lips a great hint of colour. I have Rose.

Burts Bees Tinted Lip Balm The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

LaROCCA Lip Shield SPF 8 Multi-Active Lip Balm, $18

You can buy this line at BeautyMark. A great clear balm for winter—not greasy or goopy.

LaROCCA shield lip balm The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

EYES: Unless it’s a big night out, I rarely pull eye stuff out of my handbag. When I do it’s always some kind of eye pencil, which works as both liner and shadow if you smudge it. (Also space-saving!)  (I don’t bother with mascara, as it tends to clump when you re-apply it— unless it’s the new Revlon one that Gucci Westman talks about here. Can’t wait to try it.) Right now, I’m loving…

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencil, $24

I heart this so much in Delinquent (not shown), a dark purple with little bits of sparkle.

Urban Decay Glide On Shadow Pencil The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

FACE: Bless my Scottish ancestors for giving me blotchy red skin. This—along with my current post-OCM pigmentation battle—is why I cannot be without an array of skin-correcting products. My go-tos are…

Nvey Eco Organic Erase Corrective Makeup, $35.95

Great consistency for both dark circles and blemishes, and I love that it’s also organic.

nvey eco organic erase concealer neutral 300x300 The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

Japonesque Retractable Lip Brush, $12

Makeup brushes stored loose in a cosmetic bag couldn’t be more unhygenic. Ick! I know you’re technically supposed to apply concealer with a proper concealer brush (and I do, at home), but until they start making retractable ones, this is what I use on-the-go.

japonesque lipbrush The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

Pure + Simple Rainforest Pressed Powder Foundation, $49.95

I’m not a big fan of pressed powders for sopping up oil throughout the day (it can look cakey), but if I’ve just applied concealer before leaving the house then I figure I can do one pass of this to tone down redness and be good-to-go for the remainder of the day. It’s also great when I’ve been to my eyebrow-threading lady and need to hide the inflammatory aftermath.

pure+simple pressed powder The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

Vapour Organic Beauty Aura Multi-Use Blush, $32.50

I’m all about the cream blushes lately. (You may recall me praising this line a while back.)

Vapour Organic Beauty Aura Blush The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)FRAGRANCE: I can’t imagine lugging around a big bottle of perfume every day. I collect either tiny roll-on oils or solid perfumes and they are SO handy. Such as:

Tsi-La Organics Perfume Oil, $49

I have a whole set of these—it’s a lovely little line of soft, organic scents, and I like every single one.

Tsi La perfume 213x300 The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

HANDS: Do British women not wear hand cream? Not sure why this wasn’t on the list. The best one for winter is:

Kiehl’s Ultimate Strength Hand Salve, $27.50

An excellent formula that is slightly medicinal and absorbs quickly.

Kiehls Ultimate Strength Hand Salve The average woman schleps $407 worth of makeup in her handbag. Does that sound high to you? (Maybe not if youre a beauty editor...)

GRAND TALLY: $286

Of course, this doesn’t include a whole bunch of other random things such as a nail file (in a protective plastic case so it doesn’t scratch everything in sight), a mirror that turns into a hairbrush, another mirror sometimes, hand sanitizer, Kleenex, etc.

But not bad, right?

(And this is all just in theory, mind you. Don’t hate, but I actually only purchased two of these prodz. But you probably make more money than I do, so let the beauty editors have their perks, okay?)

So now, over to you:

Do you think you carry more, or fewer beauty prodz than the Brits?
What about the dollar value?
Might you get that shiz insured? (I’m serious. That was part of the article, and now I’m considering it. If my purse has $300 worth of stuff then JUST IMAGINE what my home contents insurance really should be. I shudder.)

Michelle (@Lipstickrules)
Monday, February 7/2011 at 9:11 pm

Very interesting post! I don’t think my tally is as high as the study but I think it’s close to yours.

*runs* to check what’s in my heavy purse….

Jane
Monday, February 7/2011 at 9:25 pm

I always amaze myself at the treasures my (always big) purses reveal. No nailpolish though lol. And I love mini atomizers (like the ones they give you perfume samples in at Sephora) for my perfumes. They are very inexpensive & I basically have an entire scent wardrobe in my purse! (and an entire lipgloss wardrobe….and lip balm wardrobe…etc etc)

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:08 pm

Atomizers are great! I don’t think I’ve ever used an entire regular-sized bottle of scent in my whole life!

Funny, I was thinking about concealer wardrobes the other day. And nailpolish wardrobes in today’s post. I think I have a wardrobe for every category!

Beauty Reductionista
Monday, February 7/2011 at 9:27 pm

I agree that these stats are strange. You’d think it’d be full of lippies instead of foundations and perfumes. Decidedly odd.

I just did a tally of my own purse recently because someone else brought it up:

Ecotools Travel Powder Brush $5?
MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation $40ish
Travel size Nivea Creme $2
Tocca Stella Solid Perfume $35
Sephora brand lip gloss in Rosy Glow (birthday freebie)
By Terry lipstick in Vanilla Cinnamon $25 (half price)
Bath & Body Works Liplicious P.S. I Love You gloss in Spring Fling $2
NARS lip gloss in Dolce Vita $30
Clinique Chubby Stick in Whole Lotta Honey $20
Lip Smackers All Natural Lip Balm in Pink Guava $2
——————-
CDN$126 (estimated)

I think whoever did the “study” must have nabbed women who are notorious for lugging around train cases or something. It just doesn’t sound right!

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:09 pm

How great is the Clinique Chubby Stick!?! Love. And Tocca perfume – tres jealouse.

Anya
Monday, February 7/2011 at 10:11 pm

This post makes me feel very low maintenance.

MAC concealer $20
La Prairie cream blush $95 (Don’t judge. I got it at a media event.)
MAC lipstick $15
Korres lip butter $10
Lise Watier blotting papers $15
—–
$155

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:10 pm

Nice! Korres lip butter sometimes finds a home in my purse too. La Prairie sent me a powder blush… I wish I could trade you for the cream. :-)

pria
Monday, February 7/2011 at 10:30 pm

I usually carry about 4-5 lip products in my purse, one powder compact, eyeliner, small body mist, hand sanitizer/ hand cream, tissues, blush. but wow brits really do take their beauty prods seriously.
*on another note i have a rather random question for michelle since you work at home, do you find it hard to meet nice guys? i dont really know what a beauty editors job entails, but im just curious. cause i dont work from home and im having a hard time myself. :)

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:14 pm

Oh my gosh random question! Well the beauty industry has never been an ideal place for meeting guys – it’s ALL girls and gays so working from home doesn’t make a big difference either way. What industry are you in?

Ashley
Monday, February 7/2011 at 10:56 pm

God you people carry alot in your bags! and use some expensive stuff…
I dont like anything in my purse that I dont want to lose even though I have a giant bag, and I like having pretty perma makeup on so I dont have to worry about touch ups as much.
I do carry mascara in my purse because with blond lashes if it flakes at all it looks like i have the worlds shortest lashes. And a sheer lipstick, or five, maybe concealer if I have a bad lurker.
in the winter time a lip balm like a MAC Lip Conditioner or Minted Rosebud Salve. and handcream, which maybe british women dont need as much because of the humidity?
On another note, is there a decent purse hairbrush? my hair is thick/long and they all seem to break or take a hundred years to brush through.

Kate
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 2:15 pm

Mason Pearson child’s bristly brush? Does wonders for my hair.

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:16 pm

Yes! Couldn’t live without my Mason Pearson. It’s really the gold standard and you can buy the small size which is a bit easier for your purse. Fekkai makes a pretty good brush too.

Sara
Monday, February 7/2011 at 11:15 pm

Right now in my Pucci makeup bag:
Chanel blush color-Fandango
Cover Girl Smoothers pressed powder
Nude Nude lips balm
Josie Maran Argan Oil Stick
Chanel Double perfection powder
Josie Maran lipstick color-Birthday suit
Nars Strawberry Fields gloss
Nars blush color-Sex Appeal
Kiehl’s lotion Creme de Corps travel size
L’oreal Voluminous Full Definition mascara
A few MAC travel brushes
Mac eyeliner Teddy
Dior eye show undressed beige
Estee Lauder Maximum Coverage foundation (used sparingly as a concealer)
Stella perfume roller ball
Approximately $320

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:17 pm

How is the Josie Argan oil stick? I’ve been curious about that one. I also want her lipstick!

Ok – also curious about the Creme de Corps body lotion. Are you using that as hand cream or what? :-)

Sara
Wednesday, February 9/2011 at 4:37 pm

I’m a fan on Josie Maran. The Argan oil stick is perfect and the packaging genius. I love having the oil in a solid for throwing in my bag because the liquid drops are messy. The stick has a light natural scent and a sheer silky texture (not oily) I swipe it on my cheeks to moisturize and protect my skin from the brutal winter wind. Also good for lips, cuticles and hair.

Creme de corps is my everyday body/hand lotion. I absolutely love how thick and rich it is and leaves a nice shine on the skin. Also unscented.

Thursday, February 10/2011 at 9:38 am

Nice – now I REALLY want that argan oil stick!

Gimped
Thursday, February 10/2011 at 10:46 am

I think I want that stick, too!!

Makeup Morsels
Monday, February 7/2011 at 11:40 pm

ohh I like this post! Let’s see what I had today…

Milani Brow Pencil
2 Shiseido Therapind Oil Bars
Ole Henriksen Lip Balm
Clarins Rouge Hydra Nude Lipstick in Nude Rose
Koji Lash Curler
SkinFood Salmon Dark Circle Concealer
Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Hand Cream
Mirror (gwp)
Plastic brush/comb foldy thing (snagged from a hotel)

So…that comes out to about $85 I think? I don’t really carry that much with me, it’s mostly lip products

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:20 pm

Oooh I love that you listed stuff I’ve never heard of eg Milani, Koji, SkinFood. Particularly curious about SkinFood – I just looked up that product and they mean Salmon the fish not the colour, right? SUPER COOL. (I assume it’s not fishy, yes?)

Makeup Morsels
Wednesday, February 9/2011 at 9:05 pm

hahaha yes! It’s not fishy at all, but the salmon tones counteract purplish dark circles. It’s my HG concealer :)

Thursday, February 10/2011 at 9:39 am

Wow, is it? I definitely need to find this one online then. Love quirky weird stuff like that and so good it actually performs.

lindsay
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 12:44 am

wow! i think im the winner hahah! or maybe i should say loser :P

i only every carry a lip balm/gloss, depending on the day- but usually its lip smackers, dr. pepper! hahah! which cost a whopping 1.50 ;) however dont judge, you need to tap that potential, the cheapest best tinted chapstick/balm ever! it gives me the perfect touch of red and the more i reapply the better for my lips :)

also just fell in love with covergirls new tinted balm, which i think you mentioned in a previous post? i got coral, it was surprisingly subtle (was nervous about the brightness of the orange!) loved it!! wish i would have bought more colors as i just moved to Australia and i dont think they have it here :(

this also makes me think that i could be in need of more touch up during the day… i didnt know everyone carried this much! oops!
very nice post :) :)

Sophia
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 6:53 pm

I’m with you, Lindsay – I have a tube of chapstick and that’s usually it. Maybe a lipstick/stain on a good day. Sometimes if I’ve got a chip in my nail polish and no time to touch it up before heading out, I’ll take the colour with me and touch up when I know I can let it dry properly (otherwise I will stare at the chip all day).

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:21 pm

I loooove Dr. Pepper! So know what you mean about the red tint – it’s great! Wore it for years before I amassed my beauty editor product collection :-)

Glad you like the CG one too, it’s awesome. They are global so maybe (hopefully?) it will come to Australia soon. (BTW – where are you? I used to live in Sydney!)

Barb
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 8:52 am

Did you do a review on Nvey concealer? I am always on the lookout for a great undereye concealer-

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:24 pm

I don’t think so but would really recommend it… I should do a concealer post soon. Colour is so important and on me it’s really good – very neutral, not too yellow or too pink. I like the consistency as well – it’s thick enough to give coverage but not cakey, and yet it still spreads nicely for around the eye area. Also like that it’s organic.

Cle de Peau also makes a good one that everyone loves, but it’s pricey. Benefit has a really good selection of different formulas as well.

Jane
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:41 pm

Lancome Effacernes Undereye Concealer! Creamy, gentle and waterproof. Can’t. Live. Without.

Kate
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 2:13 pm

Right now I have in my bag:

Bobbi Brown Foundation – liquid and stick
sephora green primer (doesn’t work very well)
sephora silicon color free powder (which is good)
bobbi brown blush duo
lancome mini juicy tube
clarins pink lipstick
rimmel lipliner
body shop lip scuff
little tin of vaseline
lancome brown quad of eyecolour
lancome black eyeliner
origins mascara and underwear for lashes thing
ancient body shop eye brow make up i bought in 1996!
brown and eye brushes
blusher brush
Kheils perfume
loreal liquid eyeliner
bobbi brown neutral eye shadow
nails inc nail varnish

and the cost? well I realised how well i do because the only things I have actually purchased are the cheapest drug store items! Also, i don’t carry this every day… but I suppose its what i need to carry to feel like I put a face on for day and evening! And do lug around a little more often than I should. The total amount I spent is about £20-30! Yoowzer…

Oh, and the Daily Mail is my guilty pleasure at work. The newspaper is truly awful in terms of politics but great for trashy stories when I need a break from work. And my work was in it today!!! Check it out:

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:26 pm

OMG! Do you work at the gallery? (Or with the lady who made Will & Kate out of meat??? Hilarious!)

Gimped
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 4:23 pm

My purse right now looks like this. A lot of it is lip stuff – when I’m feelin’ blue I do a little gloss therapy.

Revlon ColorStay Mineral LipGlaze in Eternal Blossom
NARS lip gloss in Misbehave
Guerlain Kiss Kiss Liplift
DuWop Private Red
Avon Glazewear in Plum Dazzle
The Body Shop lip liner in Mauve Berry
The Body Shop Sheer Lip Color in #05
The Body Shop Colourglide Lip in Velvet Wine
CoverGirl Outlast Lip Stain in Teasing Blush
Burt’s Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm
Victoria’s Secret lip gloss in Strawberry Fizz (freebie, and yummy!)
CoverGirl TruBlend Pressed Powder in Fair
Benefit’s Some Kinda Gorgeous (sample size freebie)
The Body Shop Facial Blotting Tissues
Sephora Retractable Lip Brush
The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Blemish Stick
The Body Shop Soft Hands Kind Heart Hand Cream
Kleenex purse packs

Total: $210 (approx)

I really don’t get why the Brits are carrying around half the stuff they are either. Foundation? Perfume? Nail polish? I have a lot of real estate in my purse, but I’d rather save it for more useful things like an umbrella. At least lip prodz don’t take up a lot of space.

I, too, don’t carry eye prodz. I just make sure to use good products and primers to make ‘em stay put. I wear glasses so applying any kind of eye makeup requires a super magnified mirror — you know, those scary ones that can make your pores looks awful — which also makes re-application later almost impossible. How many ladies rooms have you come across with good lighting AND a 10x zoom mirror?

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:29 pm

YES! So do you wear contacts or do you just use your super-magnifying mirror to apply your eye makeup at home? I am blind as a bat so when I’m not wearing contacts I find it pretty much impossible to do anything but basic mascara.

PS – you weren’t kidding about the lip prodz – that’s a lot! :-)

Gimped
Wednesday, February 9/2011 at 9:58 am

I don’t wear contacts at all — I think I look funny without my glasses :) I rely on my mirror completely, which means when I travel I look like poo. I’m not carting THAT around with me, too.

I have a lot of lip prodz cuz I would rather keep them in my purse than at home. So that list is pretty much all of my lip schtuff. It’s the one thing that does need to be re-applied so why not just carry them with you.

Thursday, February 10/2011 at 9:40 am

Schtuff! Another word I am adopting! :-)

Liza
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 6:29 pm

I don’t carry a lot because I’m always trying to lighten my purse. But I do need between three and four lip product options in my bag at any one time. In fact, even though this office is a beauty closet with furniture in it, I have been known to buy a balm or gloss if I somehow (puzzling I know) manage to leave the house without a single lip item.
I like Sara’s list. Very fancy. Of course, if you’re going to carry a Pucci makeup bag, you don’t want to insult it by filling it with too much drugstore product, right?

Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:31 pm

You buy it? Oh noes – I feel so wrong doing that when I have like 10,000 others waiting for me at home. But hate hate hate when I forget a lip product in my bag. Feels naked. That is my OCD.

Kat
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 10:34 pm

Reading all the posts made me realize I really do need to keep what I carry in my purse to a minimum. I’ve been robbed before, and I was literally sadder about losing my makeup bag than my cell phone, CDs, and even the brand new purse itself.. (not to mention the window of my car. Yes, Downtown Montreal is ghetto like that I guess)

So from now on: Too Faced Lash Injection sample size, Lise Watier Rouge WoW in Le Nude (got a double), a cover girl long-lasting lip duo, and a Lise Watier Portfolio corrector palette. Oh, and the Boscia blotting papers. I pulled the Lovely body lotion, the bottle is huge, and it’s almost empty anyways.. I need a new, pocket-size scent!

Tamara
Wednesday, February 9/2011 at 12:01 pm

The total doesn’t strike me as terribly high, as I’ve seen people pull out massive (or multiple) makeup bags from their giant purses.

As much as I love beauty products, I don’t have a regular makeup bag.. and I just swap things out as I need them. Might have something to do with my general preference for a medium sized purse too.. LOL.

Chelsea C
Wednesday, February 9/2011 at 1:55 pm

I used to carry a lot of stuff in my purse, then I had children and that all changed. Needed room for wet wipes and nappies. The risk you take carrying these things is breakage. Your once nice compact of blot powder or blush will end up in crumbles. Not a good thing. I can’t remember exact prices, but here goes: I personally carry a schwack of lip glosses – my guilty pleasure (Mostly Stila and some Smashbox about 8 @ $10 – $22, Blue Blot papers (Shoppers Drug Mart $5.99), Cover FX Blot Powder ($30 ish – I have been lucky so far that this hasn’t broken, as my last one did), Clinique T-Zone Mattifier ($18 ish), 3 Revlon Colorstay Lipliners (clear, sand and pink $12 ish), Smashbox Lipliner ($18 ish), Cheek Gel (Sweet Leilani $12), Quo compact – size of my palm and 1″ high- with gel eyeliner 4 eyeshadows blush/highlight duo w/nice brushes ($10 from Shoppers Drug Mart end of season sale) and Cherry Blistex ($1.99). I have these items because it never fails, I am running around and I didn’t have enough time to add some color to my face. And/or for touch-ups. I do love lip glosses and I can never decide what color to put on so I change it up through-out the day. One final comment – I would think British Women carry so much make-up as they don’t go home after work and need to go from their day look to a night look. From what I know, the Brits love to socialize with friends and family in the bars/pubs, which close early. So no time to go home to freshen up. Perhaps these Brit Gals anticipate not going home at night and take their arsenal of make-up with them so they can look perfectly pretty in the a.m. rather that that “10 Beer Girl” look.

Friday, February 11/2011 at 4:11 pm

Yes that theory totally makes sense – especially for London where the commute between work and home is verrry long & expensive! I suppose I’d carry more prodz then too… although I used to just leave a makeup bag (and facial wipes) at work. But yes, if I was planning on not sleeping in my own bed I’d be taking that makeup bag everywhere!!

Cathy from ChickAdvisor
Thursday, February 10/2011 at 11:05 am

Having hand cream in my bag is as important as my wallet/keys! Don’t British women get dry hands??

I just checked my purse and I have barely anything with me today – I actually just emptied it out last night:

-Biore blotting strips
-Maybelline Fit Me Concealer
-Burt’s Bees Lip Balm
-Shiseido Perfect Rouge Matte Lipstick
-Mary Kay Satin Hands cream

Meeta
Saturday, February 12/2011 at 9:48 am

I’m in the UK and I carry a hand cream around as my hands get so dry. What I carry:
Origins Make A Difference hand cream, Burts Bees Lipbalm, 2 lipglosses & a lipstick (changes almost everyday), MAC blot powder, Stila Creme Bouquet roll-on, Guerlain Terracotta Blush & Sun, Quash hand sanitiser. I used to carry many more lip products (about 5 or 6) but have cut down a lot of what I keep in my bag.

Friday, February 18/2011 at 6:55 pm

Good to know! (about the hand cream) I found it so strange that hand cream wasn’t mentioned in the study!

opinionated
Monday, March 21/2011 at 3:30 pm

NO the calculation is wron. u should not add up the costs and take that as the answer. u need to weigh those by the % of women carrying the item e.g. perfume contributes 79%*50= 39.5 to the total cause 79%of women carry it!!. So the total cost of make-up in woman’s handbag is really not as high as headline states!!!!

Monday, March 21/2011 at 5:06 pm

Ah, gotcha. Beauty editors aren’t very good at math!