Oribe hair

Fact: Nothing feels better (sexy, glamorous, and like you could take on the world, Mary Tyler Moore-style) than Big Hair. As in the bouncy, smooth, shiny kind that you get when a really great hairdresser blows it out at the salon.

Also a fact: The master of said Big Hair is none other than Oribe, who only needs to use his first name since, as the world’s first (?) celebrity hairstylist, he’s been doing hair for 30+ years (!!) and counts Jennifer Lopez, Drew Barrymore and Alicia Keys as clients.

But forget the stars! For beauty editors, meeting someone like him is kind of more thrilling than interviewing a celeb. (Really, it is. That time I got to “chat” with Christina Aguilera for her perfume launch? Kind of agonizing—although at least she wasn’t in her frightening brown blush phase at that point.)

Anyway, when Oribe was in town a little while ago to present his eponymous line of hair products, I had to bust out my vid-cam to record his Hair Wisdom. (Not caught on camera: when he told me—TWICE!—that I looked like a young Nicole Kidman. BLESS. No wonder the stars love him.)

And you will too. Here’s the vid:

And here’s a fun shot of Oribe at work with J.Lo. (Cut from the video: The part where he said he loved working with celebs, but that you can “become a handmaiden” sometimes. Oh HAI. Just who could he be talking about?)

Oribe with Jennifer Lopez Video: The great Oribe—hairdresser to J. Lo—on his signature style, finding the right cut and how to look (and feel) glamorous

Oribe was also the man responsible for Anne Hathaway’s hair on this recent Vogue cover, just FYI. He’s a busy guy!

We didn’t talk too much about his product line in the vid, but I have to tell you: it’s AMAZE.  First of all, it’s gorgeous—have you ever seen packaging like this?

Oribe hair products Video: The great Oribe—hairdresser to J. Lo—on his signature style, finding the right cut and how to look (and feel) glamorous

But I also know the contents actually work because my hairdresser, Bill Angst, was one of the very first to carry it in Canada—and he NEVAH carries hair products. Now, you can buy it at Holts and BeautyMark.ca along with other independent salons. (Call 1-888-ORIBE-99 for locations.)

Besides the excellent volume-building Dry Texturizing Spray that he mentions in the vid, also check out the Masque for Beautiful Color, which launched last month:

Oribe masque for beautiful color Video: The great Oribe—hairdresser to J. Lo—on his signature style, finding the right cut and how to look (and feel) glamorous

Have you tried any of Oribe’s prodz yet?
Don’t you wish he could do your hair?
Well, I asked him and he charges $400 per cut. As per my Life Cut post, I could actually almost justify that. Almost. Could you?

Mia
Friday, February 11/2011 at 2:46 pm

I tried a volumizing spray from his line a while back, when the line was new at Holt Renfrew.
I ended up throwing it out, sadly (since it was so costly) because it did NOTHING. I’m fine with spending big bucks on products that do what they claim (hello Kerastase) but this stuff was just not worth the money. And I found the packaging overly done and wasteful.
Hopefully the other products live up to the hype and the price.

Friday, February 11/2011 at 3:07 pm

Oh no! I don’t have that one so have not tried… that’s disappointing seeing as Oribe is all about big hair. Do you have a volumizing product you like better?

I for one cannot complain about the packaging… I love it.

PS – Kerastase is best for people with thicker, coarser hair I think. I used it when I had a lot of colour damage, but I find even their volume line to be a little bit heavy for everyday use.

Ilsie
Friday, February 11/2011 at 3:36 pm

John Frieda Luxurious Volume products are my best friends. I have very fine hair and those products are the best. I have tried expensive ones from Sephora and do not live to the hype.

Try the spray and mouse, they do wonders. They’re light and non sticky and the price amazing!

Friday, February 18/2011 at 6:35 pm

John Frieda definitely has some great stuff! My mom swears by the blonde line.

Gimped
Friday, February 11/2011 at 3:39 pm

I’m ALWAYS on the hunt for volumizing prodz. Right now I’m using Ojon’s volumizing shampoo/conditioner and the new brush-in mousse. They’re OK, but like I said I’m always looking. Styling prodz that give me some lift at the root, and something that will give me a bit of a piecey look without weighing down my hair. And it MUST last more than an hour!!! None of this va-va voom tease in the bathroom, then supreme flatness like 20 mins later.

If there are things in his line that I need to try PLEASE let me know!!!

Friday, February 18/2011 at 6:37 pm

I think Ojon stuff might be a tad heavy, even if it’s supposedly volumizing, what with the Ojon oil which is their raison d’etre. I’m going to give my Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray more of a test-drive… but it IS expensive. What volumizing prodz have you tried so far that have failed you?

Gimped
Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 10:41 am

Too many to mention, Michelle :) But here’s a select few

Mark Anthony Instantly Thick shampoo/conditioner and balm: worked, but then realized it was stripping the colour out of my hair. Balm was OK, except it didn’t hold for very long … and it’s no longer produced.
Pantene Color Preserve Volume shampoo/conditioner: left my hair looking oily
Kevin Murphy Anti Gravity: didn’t work :(
Living Proof Full Thickening Cream: didn’t work
AG Plastique: is okay, but left my hair feeling sticky
Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam: total waste of money

I only had sample sizes for the KM and LP prodz, so it’s posssible I was skimping on product application. The rest I could do without, esp the Aveda product.

The Ojon stuff I’m using now is just okay. It seems to work great some days, and horrible other days. But what I DO like about it is how my hair looks and feels: super soft and I have some shine back!

I don’t want to put prodz in my hair that’ll make it feel crusty and gross, so I’m hesitant to try sprays. If you know of any that fit the bill please reco them — I’ll try just about anything :)

I think volume hair prodz need a post on your blog ;)

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 6:26 pm

Wow you’ve tried a lot of stuff! And yes I know I’ve gotta do more on volumizing. I feel like I’m constantly searching too!

In general I agree with your conclusions – Pantene and Ojon are known to be on the more moisturizing end of the spectrum, and to be honest volumizing shampoos don’t do all that much compared to styling products. The only volumizing shampoo that I swear by is Tresemme’s 24-hour Body. I just worry that your hair might need moisture with the damage.

Anyway! I think it’s mostly about the styling products (as well as how you blow-dry – which should be upside-down or lifting at the roots with a round brush).

I think part of the problem might be that there are 2 types of volumizing prodz. Roof-lifting stuff vs. thickening creams/mousses etc. To get a lift at the roots you want something that really gets in there – my mom and I swear by Kiehl’s Super Thick Volumizer, it has a great nozzle: http://www.kiehls.ca/Super-Thick-Volumizer/613,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=hair-styling-aids I think Tresemme makes a similar one: http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Volume/24-Hour-Body-Root-Boost-Spray/ I really think Tresemme is the best drugstore hair line.

For thickening – these are the products that you run through the lengths of your hair – not at the root. I have the Living Proof and don’t mind it, but probably any mousse will do (as long as you don’t use too much). Another trick: have you ever tried a sea spray? John Frieda makes one, as does Bumble + Bumble… they also bulk up the hair.

I hope that helps!

Gimped
Friday, March 18/2011 at 8:58 am

Thanks, Michelle!

I try to use a deep conditioner at least once a week to help with some of my leftover damaged ends. The damage is almost gone (yay!) but that’s cuz it’s been cut off.

The volumizer/thickener thing has always been a tricky thing for me to figure out. I really need both cuz my hair is so fine and limp. Where can I find the Kiehls stuff? I might give it a whirl.

Sea spray? Never heard of it. Googling now …

Thursday, March 24/2011 at 10:53 am

Gimped – Kiehl’s is at Holt Renfrew and they also have a couple of free-standing stores. I think it’s around $20… whereas the Tresemme is probably under $10.

Marina(Makeup4All)
Friday, February 11/2011 at 6:40 pm

He looks like an amazing pro, I would love him to give me some hair tips, heh. Thanks for sharing!

Jane
Saturday, February 12/2011 at 10:37 am

OK- these products look AMAZING! Adore the packaging and cannot wait to try. I love stuff that looks elegant and stylish in my bathroom. Love the dark bottles. I use Batiste dry shampoo as a texturizing spray and at $8 a bottle I probably won’t replace that lol. But I will pay almost anything for an effective hair mask/deep conditioner, gentle shampoo and leave in conditioner. Look forward to trying them. I wonder what they smell like and if they have silicones…

Friday, February 18/2011 at 6:40 pm

Oh yes I remember that you are a Batiste lover! You can’t beat the price. If you’re ever in the US there is one called Psst! which is similar (and similarly cheap).

Apparently Oribe conditioners do contain silicones but they are “ultra-lightweight” ones.

Eileen
Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 11:43 am

I know I’m adding this comment very late, but Oribe is far from being the first celebrity hairstylist. Hairstylists such as Kenneth (American), Sasson (English), and Alexander (French) were huge international celebrities in their day and there were a number of others of more local renown such as Jose Eber (French, but shot to prominence in Beverly Hills). Check out the 1975 Warren Beatty/Julie Christie movie called “Shampoo”. It satirizes the stardom that many hairstylists had in the sixties and seventies.

Friday, February 18/2011 at 6:42 pm

Ahhh yes thanks! That’s why I added the (?) when I said that, silly me I should’ve remembered all those 1960s dudes.

And OMG re: Jose Eber! I totally remember him from my childhood. Found him on Youtube, he’s still wearing that hat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokBR-GbZAk

Allison
Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 12:23 pm

I tweeted at him if his products contained parabens or harmful sulfates. His response: no sulfates. So…parabens then.
When he makes a clean line I will most definitely try it!

Marie
Friday, July 6/2012 at 7:59 pm

I have never bothered to review a product unless it was worth spreading the good news about – Oribe is one of those jack pot products I’ve taken the time to share with you. I started going to a new salon which carries Oribe. I assume his products work better on thinner hair that needs more attention like mine. This assumption is drawn by 1. People who haven’t had good things to say happen to have thicker hair 2. J.Lo loves this stuff and has thin hair (she has hair extensions for volume) 3. I’ve tried many many professional grade products and this has saved my hair. It smells so amazing too! Heck sometimes I spray the dry shampoo spray for the scent. I’d be first in line to buy the Oribe perfume. People have asked me what perfume I’m wearing after using his prods. A must try! Now let’s beg for a Oribe perfume! xoxo