New York F/W ’11: And… we’re off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup you’ve ever seen

New York Fashion Week Fall 2011 Diane von Furstenberg red lipstick

Um, guys? It’s Fashion Week. If you’re immersed in the fashion and beauty biz, then you already know that (duh!), but for everyone else—I think I forgot to mention this very important fact, what with the Grammys and my vid with Oribe and this new review opportunity goin’ on. Things actually kicked off last Friday, but like NYLON beauty director Holly Siegel says in this vid, we beauty pundits need to simmer on the intel for a bit before the trends start revealing themselves and we can talk about ‘em.

And today I am officially ready to talk, because there are three trends I’d spotted that you need to know about: red lips (HAWT), strong brows (hallelujah!) and wicked, wicked silver eyes. Not worn all together, mind you, but each individually awesome in its own right.

Ready? Let’s do this thing.

SPOTTED: Kick-ass red lips at Diane von Furstenberg

NYFW FW11 Diane von Furstenberg 2 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seen

Swoon.

NYFW FW11 Diane von Furstenberg 3 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seen

If ever a show made me want to wear red lipstick RIGHT THIS SECOND, it’s this one. (And, you know, Diane is kinda becoming known for her OMGlips on the runways—remember the fun fluoro pink she did for S/S ’11?)

The highly covetable colour was achieved via M.A.C lip pencil in Cherry and a new lipstick, called Runaway Red, which will be available this fall. Getting the edges really precise is key with a colour this bold, so make sure you use a lip brush to apply.

NYFW FW11 Diane von Furstenberg 4 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seen

Also: I know we’re talking about lips here, but how great is the eyeshadow? That cool wingy thing at the outer corners really reminds me of Diana Agron’s fab makeup at the Grammys, and oh dear—I sense a more detailed how-to than what I mentioned here is needed, because I think we’re all gonna want to wear a version of this real soon. For now, if you feel like attempting on your own, know that the shade is a black metallic called Keep Your Cool (also from M.A.C), and it was applied with a wet angled brush to the outer corners of the eyes. On the inner water lines is Chromagraphic Pencil in NC15.

SPOTTED: Bold brows at Alexander Wang

NYFW FW11 Alexander Wang 1 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seen

Just like Diane’s sorta known for doing lips, our man Al here has a thing for brows. And I say Hallelujah! Even though I’ve experimented with brow-bleaching myself, it was getting a little bit ridic seeing all of those models sans eyebrows… although Fashion Week just started and I have no doubt their reappearance is imminent.

There are two things I like about the strong-brow look. One, full brows automatically make you look younger. I promise. So PLEASE let yours grow out a bit if they’re borderline over-plucked, because (no offense) skinny brows are wrong wrong wrong.

NYFW FW11 Alexander Wang 2 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seen

And two, a strong brow is possibly one of the easiest ways to make your face look polished, even if you’re not wearing much other makeup. (That and the ol’ concealer at the inner corners of the eyes trick I bang on about all the time.)

Another cool thing: the shape here has been made deliberately boyish—that means square and straight, instead of arched. Maybe you want to try it, maybe not, but if you do, the product used to fill them in was not a brow powder but M.A.C’s Carbon eyeshadow. For more full-brow advice, check out this Twestion Time post answered by makeup artist Greg Wencel, who always gives the BEST tips.

SPOTTED: The coolest silvery metallic eyes EVAR at Derek Lam

NYFW FW11 Derek Lam 1 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seen

Crikey! That’s some impressive eye makeup, no? And as I suspected, the artiste responsible was Mr. Tom Pecheux, who is Estée Lauder’s creative director (you might remember him from the Blue Dahlia collection last fall).

Anyway, that means all of this fabulousness is Estée Lauder. (Surprised? Me too.)

Here’s how it looks front-on:

NYFW FW11 Derek Lam 2 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seenAnd with a different eye shape:

NYFW FW11 Derek Lam 3 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seen

Sadly, the shades aren’t out yet (they don’t even have names, but will arrive on counters in the fall). But if you’re feeling brave and want to play copycat (I sure do), what Pecheux did was swirl together metallic silver and black cream pigments to get a silvery-blue grey, which he then applied in an extended cat’s-eye shape. On the lips is another new colour for fall, Vanilla Truffle Nude Matte Lipstick.

I also wanna give the hair a brief mention. I’m sure I’m not the only straight-haired type out there who falls into a blah, boring rut of wearing it wherever it falls when we step outta the shower. But pulling just the top section straight back is SO pretty:

NYFW FW11 Derek Lam 4 New York F/W 11: And... were off! First up are hawt red lips and big, bold brows, plus maybe the coolest metallic eye makeup youve ever seen

What do you think of the silvery shadow—too hard to DIY or are you game?
Have the Diane von Furstenberg shots renewed your faith in red lipstick?
And what about brows—do you agree that a bold brow is both face-framing and youth-enhancing?

Gimped
Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 5:42 pm

Those reds are AMAZING!!! It’s helps that the models have gorg lips, too. I’m so jealous …

Brows are such an important part of the face. I didn’t realize this until I found a fantastic brow person (Megan @ Benefit Brow Bar is a miracle worker). If I don’t have time for anything else I try to at least fill in my brows — if I don’t I look so dead. They don’t necessarily need to be “bold,” but polished for sure. They are definitely worth taking the time to fuss over.

Tracy
Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 6:50 pm

Estee Lauder is sure changing under his direction! I love everything that he’s done so far. They aren’t an old lady brand anymore that’s for sure!

Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 11:54 pm

Agreed! Some of the packaging has been hit and miss lately (Michael Kors stuff in particular) but they’re def changing their image. The best thing they’ve ever done though was the Tom Ford collab… that was vintage in a VERY good way.

Jane
Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 7:36 pm

Wow! Those lips! And I love that hair style- pulling back the top/middle section really lifts the face. I’ve done this when I’ve been in a pinch for a “do” and it looks polished & pretty. Nice!

Sophia
Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 8:10 pm

Love love love alllll of these. Great post as always!

It looks to me like the models’ lips at DVF have been redrawn with the lipstick. In the first and second shots, the lipstick looks as though it’s outside the natural lip, and in the third shot it’s drawn well within the natural lip line. Maybe to create a consistent shape for all the models? Is this a common thing to do and I’m just out of the loop?

Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 11:56 pm

Hey good catch! I just did a quick Google and found confirmation that the liner was used to re-draw the lips – sorry I missed that! And here I was being jealous and thinking wow, those models have the most gorgeous plump lips I’ve ever seen!

Kat
Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 8:22 pm

Been rocking the silver for a while, I have a large silver cream pen eyeshadow (thanks to Mrs. Watier, I know, I’m a LW whore..), and it’s SURPRISINGLY EASY to pull off!! By itself, it looks great for the day, then just a touch of black liner and mascara is enough to transform it into a glam eye for night, I heart this trend already!

I also noticed the Chanel thing (pink blush higher on the cheekbone) was back on the runway at Vivienne Tam, it’s just so pretty and effortless, like a new spin on a good ‘ol classic. I hope this trend catches on, I mean not to diss on the bold red lip, but let’s be serious.. a red lip is not a “trend”, it’s a staple.

Wednesday, February 16/2011 at 12:00 am

Cool! LW has some great stuff, I will not deny it! So how are you wearing the silver shadow – just from lash to crease or all the way around the eye or what? Inquiring minds want to know! It’s been a while since I wore silver (esp. for day).

Just had a peek at VT – pretty!!! I hope I can find better pics tomorrow because I want to do a post on girly, pretty makeup (eg this + Marc Jacobs + Carolina Herrera).

Kat
Wednesday, February 16/2011 at 1:38 am

For day I tend to wear it just on the lid up to the crease, with just a tad of mascara. Looks kinda like a regular grey, really, only it reflects more light. This “pen” I have (sorry, it’s so worn out I can’t read the name of the actual product anymore) reminds me a bit for the chubby sticks was it? Anyways, it’s a cream shadow in a stick, and on the other end of the “pen” there’s this nice cream liner in a dark charcoal, blends in perfectly to create a night look. A bit more mascara, a bit of a rosy lip, and out the door!

Surely it can look outrageous if you wear it with living false eyelashes like KK, or God forbid, with glitter.. urgh. But no one reading this blog would ever think of doing that…. right?

Kat
Wednesday, February 16/2011 at 2:01 am

Oh and… there was pretty makeup at Marc Jacobs?! All I saw was huge sunglasses.. :P j/k

Friday, February 18/2011 at 4:59 pm

Oh nice! That sounds lovely. Definitely inspiring me to find some silver shadow. I used to be quite in love with one from Thierry Mugler that was stupidly expensive but a really gorgeous texture: http://beautyeditor.ca/2009/11/30/editors-picks-november/

Kat
Tuesday, February 15/2011 at 8:27 pm

Keep forgetting to link da website…

Lesa
Wednesday, February 16/2011 at 1:57 pm

Killer brows also happening at Oscar de la Renta today!

Friday, February 18/2011 at 5:00 pm
Skybluesky
Friday, February 18/2011 at 9:05 am

Yay for including Asians in the pictures, haha. I have loved red lips since I started reading your blog last year, and yes, I agree that a lip brush is crucial.

Dark metallic eyeshadow sounds hot, but I think for me, I might do a metallic eyeliner instead.

Brows frame the face. Whenever I get my eyebrows done, I find that I need much less makeup when I go out. Two months ago, I made the mistake of doing a walk-in appointment at my regular salon but with a different person…came out with significantly thinner eyebrows that were two DIFFERENT shapes!!! I went back and my normal person fixed it for free. Now they’ve grown out and still look pretty good…I went to her for the first time since browgate and she just trimmed and cleaned them up, and they look great!

I love my thick eyebrows! I think they do make you look younger, because as you get older, your brow bone is more exposed. The eyebrow helps to hide that.

Friday, February 18/2011 at 5:03 pm

Skybluesky! How’s it going? I missed you!

You know what, I noticed a lot more Asian models this Fashion Week, which was nice – I like to show how the eye makeup in particular can work on different eye shapes (talked about that a bit today: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/02/18/new-york-fw-11-winged-eyeliner-full-brows-and-copious-amounts-of-blush%E2%80%94these-are-a-few-of-my-favourite-things/)

And oh my gosh, I share your fear about someone messing up my brows! BROWGATE – hilarious! (But I’m sure not for you, at the time.) My eyebrow lady just announced last time that she is pregnant so I’m already worried about what I’m going to do without her.