New York F/W ’11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades you’ll want to try at home!

New York Fashion Week Fall 2011 Jenni Kayne nails

So far this Fashion Week, we’ve been focusing on makeup. And since we still have London, Milan and Paris to check out, I can’t promise I won’t push more crazy eyeshadow on you again (boy, that didn’t go over well yesterday). But today I want to switch things up and talk about a subject that we can all embrace: NAILS!

I wrote a story in FLARE a few months ago where I mentioned that nails are the new “It” accessory. Yep—forget designer handbags. These days, showing off your digits is what girls do. And I’m afraid the stakes are only getting higher and higher. Based on the manis at New York Fashion Week, if you truly want to impress, you’ve gotta do some nail art. (I KNOW. At least it’s cheaper than a Balenciaga.)

Here are the top 10 looks. PLUS—if you’re a Plain Jane like me and ain’t got the skillz to draw shapes and stuff—I found three cool new colours you might wanna try. (PS. Don’t forget to check out Essie’s advice about finding your signature colour!)

1. The Half-Circle Mani at 3.1 Phillip Lim:

NYFW F11 3.1 Phillip Lim 5 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

FASHION’s beauty director Lesa tweeted this one from backstage at the show (you really should follow her on Twitter) and it was love at first sight for me. Remember the half-moon mani from the S/S ’11 shows? Well, this might be a slightly easier DIY job because you’re just drawing circles—not following the exact shape of the moons.

Prodz used: CND Desert Suede for the base and Midnight Sapphire for the circles.

2. Glittery Squared-Off Tips at Vivienne Tam:

NYFW F11 Vivienne Tam 4 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

I might have to eat my words about pointy tips coming back into fashion, because I actually noticed more than a few squarish shapes (but LONG squarish) this time around. Glitter, however, still holds strong—particularly in red—so at least I was right about something.

Prodz used: Incoco French Manicure Glitter Tips in Ruby Shoes (includes base and top coats).

3. Clear Tips at Behnaz Sarafpour:

NYFW F11 Behnaz Sarafpour 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

So here’s another trend prediction: loooong nails. (Not the best news for peeps like me that are banging away all day on the computer, AND wear contact lenses.) Here, the look was inspired by the show’s custom-designed Manolo Blahniks (hence, “Manolo Manicures”) and achieved with clear tips, which look aMAZing.

Prodz used: CND Blackjack for the nail beds with clear French tips.

4. The Red Glitter Half-Moon Mani at Badgley Mischka:

NYFW F11 Badgley Mischka 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

This one is incredibly glam—I’d totally dewit for a schwanky night out. The inspiration was equal parts Mad Men and Old Hollywood, and note the shape: long and oval (much more wearable than long ‘n pointy, right?). But there’s still a bit of an edge, because the base colour is a sheer black with chunks of red glitter.

Prodz used: Lippmann Collection polish in Believe for the half-moons and Ruby Red Slippers on the rest of the nail bed. (Lippmann does INCREDIBLE glitters, by the way. I’ve been wearing Bad Romance, a “blackened fuchsia” almost non-stop since January.)

5. Pointy Blue “Stained Glass” at Jen Kao:

NYFW F11 Jen Kao 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

Okay, I think this one is best left to the professionals. (And the matching gold eyebrows? Please no.) Anyway, the effect they were going for was “stained glass” with gilted, almond-shaped gold tips. Fancy.

Prodz used: CND Midnight Sapphire as the base, tipped with Gold Chrome, and then accented with drops of Gold Pearl, Iced Blue Shimmer and more Midnight Sapphire.

6. The Calligraphy Manicure at Prabal Gurung:

NYFW F11 Prabal Gurung 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

Here’s another one for the true nail artistes. Created by celebrity nail guru Jin Soon Choi, these square-shaped talons were dressed up with Asian-inspired calligraphy strokes.

Prodz used: Prabal Gurung for Sally Hansen polish in Crinoline (launching this fall) as a base, and detailed with Sally Hansen Midnight in New York.

7. Baroque Nails at Jason Wu:

NYFW F11 Jason Wu 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

This collection took inspiration from Versailles—so it was fitting that the manicures were deep, rich and sophisticated. Again, we’ve got that almond shape goin’ on and the two tones. Notice a theme yet?

Prodz used: CND Dark Ruby with a layer of Bloodline on top, plus Gold Chrome for the tips.

8. The Modern French Mani at Preen:

NYFW F11 Preen 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

Finally! Something I think I just might be able to manage at home. Now, we all know (or should) that traditional French manicures are iffy territory these days. (And if you tell me that you French-pedi your toes, I don’t think we can be friends.) HOWEVER. On the fingertips, in high-contrast colours and with sooper-fine tips, a neat, short French mani looks surprisingly awesome.

Prodz used: Zoya Nail Polish in Dove with Caitlin on the tips.

9. The Shady Lady Manicure at Monique Lhuillier:

NYFW F11 Monique Lhuillier 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

Another twist on the short-ish French mani: a nude base with, again, the finest of tips in black.

Prodz used: CND nail polish in Silver Chrome topped with Desert Suede and then Dark Amethyst (launching this fall) on the tips.

10. The Fluro French Mani at Tibi:

NYFW F11 Tibi 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

Should you wish to further dial up your French mani, howzabout some hot-pink tips? I love the contrast with the nude nail bed.

Prodz used: Dashing Diva neon pink polish on the tips.

And now, if you don’t like to get TOO fancy, three new solid shades that I think you’ll dig. Okay, they’re going to take a bit of mixing—so let’s hope someone whips these up in single bottles real soon. The other thing to notice is that these are all matte, so if you don’t have one already, it might be time to invest in a mattifying top coat…

Crème de Menthe at Costello Tagliapietra:

NYFW F11 Costello Tagliapietra 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

Prodz used: A blend of CND Brilliant White, Bicycle Yellow, Green Scene and Silver Chrome, and then finished with Super Matte Top Coat.

Mauvy Griege at Catherine Malandrino:

NYFW F11 Catherine Malandrino 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

Prodz used: CND Silver Chrome and Brilliant White with drops of Asphalt, Putty, Desert Suede, Eclectic Purple and Bicycle Yellow for the base, and then finished with a top coat of Super Matte.

The Perfect Peachy Nude at Jenni Kayne:

NYFW F11 Jenni Kayne 1 New York F/W 11: The top 10 manicure ideas straight from the runways—plus 3 cool shades youll want to try at home!

Prodz used: CND Desert Suede layered with Copper Shimmer, and then washed out with a coat of semi-sheer patina Rose Water and topped with Super Matte. UPDATE: A few peeps are also asking about the Jenni Kayne lip shades, which I agree are fabuloso! They are M.A.C Chromagraphic Lip Pencil in Processed Magenta, Magenta Pencil and Magenta Madness Pigment.

What do you think of these Fashion Week nail trends?
Which one is your favourite? (Personally, I’m loving the Tibi. Because just like Elle Woods, hot pink IS my signature colour.)
Might you be brave enough to try a DIY?

Sophia
Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 3:23 pm

Love everything about that Jenni Kayne look – nails & make up. So wearable!

Marina(Makeup4All)
Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 3:44 pm

I love the lips from the first photo so much, would totally wear them! I also love the look and nails from Jason Wu.

mona
Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 3:56 pm

Ohh its gorgeous! btw do you know the shade of lipstick used in Jenni Kayne?

Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 4:20 pm

I was trying to find this out – it’s definitely M.A.C but from what I’ve read it was a custom-blend of a couple of pencils. I don’t know the names though, so let me email the PR and see if she can tell me – I love the lips too!

Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 5:07 pm

Okay, I’ve got answers! The Jenni Kayne lip colours were: Chromagraphic Lip Pencil in Processed Magenta, Magenta Pencil and Magenta Madness Pigment! I’ll update the text above as well.

mona
Wednesday, February 23/2011 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for finding out :)

Anna W
Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 5:27 pm

I love love love the Fluro french mani, and so simple! Also very excited to say my nails almost match the creme de menthe! Mine are just a little bit less pastel.

Virginia
Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 7:02 pm

Wow i feel super plain after looking all the nails cuz none of the design attracts me. They just don’t look pretty to me at all especially the half moon. The short nails with french tip in gray and black doesn’t look nice on short nails. I just like one color on my short nails like Mauvy Griege.

Thursday, February 24/2011 at 5:20 pm

Well the good thing is that anything goes these days! Honestly, I’m blown away by all the choices. Will be interesting to see what comes out of Paris and Milan – but I hear you, I like my nails pretty short as well, and I’m not really one for blinging out with decorations. (Although the moon mani I just got yesterday is neat, for a change: http://twitpic.com/43ai1s)

Virginia
Thursday, February 24/2011 at 6:02 pm

So yesterday I took a chance and did the half moon on my nails: peach with light pink. It turned out pretty good. I guess I needed to see it from another point of view, on my nails lol.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 7:21 pm

Glad to hear it! I, on the other hand, am not even 7 days into my moon mani and I’m already over it. Might need to experiment with other colour combos, but I just feel like it doesn’t match my outfits. Looked really weird with stripes the other day! :-)

Ashley
Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 7:07 pm

Love the Prabal! so cool. I think it would be super hard to do it yourself though. I love his clothes though too did you see the show?

Thursday, February 24/2011 at 5:21 pm

I love that the inspiration was Miss Havisham!!

Lesa
Tuesday, February 22/2011 at 11:13 pm

Thanks for the shout out!

Thursday, February 24/2011 at 5:22 pm

Ok good – glad that was cool with you! I never know whether people are ok with me using full names online!

Jane
Wednesday, February 23/2011 at 9:28 pm

The first photo is so beautiful in every way! LOVE the lippy and nails. And, you had me at Mauvy Greige and Perfect Peachy Nude…the crazy nails are also really cool – I’m just not the crazy nail kind of gal but I would love to go to parties and see these in real life! I think keeping them to blacks and beiges makes them a neat twist on conservative elegant manis.

Oh & I am now getting a neon pink because my chic and gorgeous 15 year old MUST HAVE The Fluro French- so fun! But, the matte mannequin hands, the pink lips- wow. I think I might even do the mint…

Thursday, February 24/2011 at 5:27 pm

Yes! What I like about the fluro French is that it’s just this little kick of colour on otherwise bare nails. The only thing is that I think the tips would chip super fast on me…. moons are probably easier. I did a clear base with red moons (Revlon Cherries in the Snow) yesterday: http://twitpic.com/43ai1s

Adele
Wednesday, February 23/2011 at 10:01 pm

I just want to say that I appreciate how comprehensive your posts are. I look forward to reading them :)

Thursday, February 24/2011 at 5:27 pm

Thanks Adele! I appreciate you reading! xo

Gimped
Friday, February 25/2011 at 8:35 am

The half-circle mani is cool; but I don’t think I like the nude/black combo. The Clear Tips one is nice, too, but I think too trendy for me. But I’m LOVING the Modern French Mani! Any idea what salons in Toronto would do these looks? I’m not skilled enough to do them myself.

I just Googled Lippman’s Bad Romance. VERY cool! But do you find it hard to apply?

Mattifying top coat?? I didn’t even know that existed! Do you have some examples, or is CND the only one? And where would I find it?

Monday, February 28/2011 at 7:27 pm

Tips! They’re in the east end and have developed quite the following for their nail art… that’s where I had my moon mani done last week. http://www.tipsnailbar.ca/

Going to try and attempt (and then post about) a home job soon, so stay tuned – apparently you can DIY with those French manicure strips or even circle stickers.

Bad Romance isn’t at all hard to apply – 2 coats and you’re done. I love it.

Apparently Joe Fresh makes a matte top coat! Probably that’s the cheapest option to try the trend. Canadian Beauty did a review: http://canadianbeauty.com/swatch-joe-fresh-matte-top-coat/

Gimped
Thursday, March 10/2011 at 6:40 pm

This just landed in my inbox: The LACE mani!! The vid is done at Tips Nail Bar, too http://bit.ly/i5TAb5 This looks uber cool. Ever tried?

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:49 pm

Pretty! But oh wow, too much work for me. Tips does great stuff though – I got my moon mani from Leeanne!

Gimped
Friday, March 18/2011 at 9:03 am

Definitely too much work for an at-home attempt, but I might try it out at Tips!

BTW, you wouldn’t happen to know of any good nail places in the west end, would you? :) Tips is on the subway line which is great, but something closer to home would be better.

Thursday, March 24/2011 at 10:57 am

Yeah, Tips is more of a destination place if you want something special – if you are in the west end it’s a bit out of the way for a regular mani/pedi.

I’ve been to Donato’s out at Square One and they’ve been ok, but kind of expensive. Also had my nails done once at Salon Daniel at Bloor & Islington – not bad but can’t remember the price. My fave is probably Lucky Nail in Yorkville – it’s cheap and they do a great job!

Melissa
Friday, February 25/2011 at 12:53 pm

Just tried the new colour Naked from Deborah Lippmann, and I must say I heart the nude trend coming up this spring! It’s like a step up from clear for those who want fresh nails, without the fuss.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 7:28 pm

I think nudes are going to be really strong for the next few seasons, what with all the colours we’ve had in the past few years! Suddenly they look really fresh again.