Celebrity Hair Changes Lately So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut… and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends don’t work on civilians

Claire Danes slicked back hair So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

Well, we’re about halfway through coverage of Fashion Week (which really should be called Fashion Month), and while we’re waiting for all of Milan’s beauty trends to reveal themselves, I thought we might take a short breather.

Because while we weren’t looking—we’d been focusing our attentions on all the 16- and 17-year-old runway models whose collagen stores we want to raid immediately—those sneaky celebs got up to some hair hijinx.

Yes they did! I’m sure you’ve heard, by now, about Jennifer Aniston’s new lob and new blondification—and so we must parse. But wait, there’s more! Ginnifer Goodwin decided to dive into the undercut trend, while Claire Danes, along with January Jones, attempted to replicate some of the hairstyles worn by the aforementioned 16- and 17-year-old models.

Did they pull it off? That’s what we’re here to discuss.

First up, a close-up of the Aniston’s lob:

Jennifer Aniston lob So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

A Twitter friend pointed out that Jen was JUST quoted in Allure as saying that she’d never give up her length. Huh? I also recall that in the Brad days, she had a similar cut and said she hated it.

And so my cynical mind immediately wonders if it’s a case of the old bait and switch. Is she distracting us with the hair in order to hide something she’s done to her face?

I can’t really tell if anything is different from the front, but possibly the cheeks look a little puffier from the side. Maybe?

Jennifer Aniston lob 2 So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

Anyway, I do like it—it’s not like it’s that radical of a change, after all. Perhaps a bit too blonde, but that could be the lighting.

Next up is Miss Ginnifer Goodwin, whose Life Cut is definitely short hair (see: here, here and here). But is it the undercut? I’m not sure.

Ginnifer Goodwin undercut So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

We first saw this trend on Rihanna, Mel B., Alice Dellal, Carmen Electra and Cassie last year. And while those peeps went pretty radical with it, Ginnifer did a more understated version.

Honestly, I think she can pretty much pull anything off since her skin (and brows!) are so utterly perfect. But I still prefer her more femmy and Audrey Hepburn-ish, like how she wore her hair for the 2010 Globes.

Now, before I show you our next celebrity hair-changer, I need to show you this:

LFW F11 Richard Nicoll 1 So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

That’s from the other day at London Fashion Week, the Richard Nicoll show.

Now, people like Petra Nemcova—who is a, you know, MODEL—can actually do a version of this for real life and somehow look amazing.

Petra Nemcova slicked back hair So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

Claire Danes, however, cannot.

Claire Danes slicked back hair 2 So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

Sorry Claire, but it just looks like you didn’t bathe. Are you guys with me on this one?

I actually can’t decide which is worse, the look above (from the 2011 Costume Designers Guild Awards), or January Jones’ little updo (and makeup!) below:

January Jones updo So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

Jesus, January—you could scare small children! In all of our discussions about yellow and orange eye makeup, we never evah said it could be worn with a red lip. Please examine Rachel McAdams and try again.

And as for the hair, it’s yet another example of why things like this…

Bottega Veneta updo So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians

… are best left on the runways. (Actually, I like the model’s ‘do better.)

But even with so many #beautyfails in the attempt to go from runway to real life, there was one shining star. And that was Demi Moore:

Demi Moore 2011 Costume Designers Guild Awards So Jennifer Aniston got a lob, Ginnifer Goodwin got an undercut... and Claire Danes discovered that some Fashion Week trends dont work on civilians
It’s a fishtail braid! Just like we were talking about yesterday. And it’s perfect (because it is not too perfect).

I’m not altogether sure if it works with such a fancy dress, however—but compared to Claire and January, this wins the Hair Prize of the Week for sure.

What do you think of all of these celebrity hair shenanigans?
Are you a fan of Jen’s lob and Ginnifer’s undercut?
What about the runway hair attempts by Claire, January and Demi?

Beauty Reductionista
Thursday, February 24/2011 at 4:37 pm

I can’t think of a celeb more dull than Jennifer Aniston. This cut is also very zzz. Even though January Jones looks terrible, I give her props for taking risks and actually entertaining us.

Someone needs to find out what Ginnifer Goodwin uses on her skin to get that kind of complexion. Amazing skin! So jealous!

Thursday, February 24/2011 at 5:17 pm

Yeah I want to know that too! Just Googled it and she says it’s because of her vegan diet. http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2009/09/25/ginnifer-goodwins-skin-secret-going-vegan/ Must be different from what Alicia Silverstone eats because she looks downright sickly!

Beauty Reductionista
Saturday, February 26/2011 at 1:36 am

Ooh, thanks for looking that up! Okay, I’ll have to find another way since I can NEVER become vegan. Going to read you cod liver oil post again. ;)

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:52 pm

Haha same here! I never was vegan but I definitely didn’t used to eat enough meat – since my ND started making me eat more protein (specifically animal protein) it has made a huge difference in my energy levels and I think skin too.

Meghan
Thursday, February 24/2011 at 9:13 pm

Hmmm. I have to say, I’m not a fan of the slicked back at the roots only look from the Richard Nicoll show. I even think it looks gross on the second model. All I see is greasy roots, and in my mind I can almost smell the unwashed hair. Yuck. I think Claire Danes did the trend pretty well actually. The rest of her hair doesn’t look puffy and light like the models, so it doesn’t automatically make me think greasy roots. Maybe looking uniformly greasy is key to pulling it off. Hehehe. (I agree though – this trend is not for civilians.)

I’m also not a fan of the fish tail braid. Sorry…to my eyes it looks like a large, flat, (kind of misshapen) animal tail growing out the back of her head. Not for me unfortunately. :)

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:58 pm

Yeah… my feeling about “wet look” hair is just WHY? Every single person would look 10 zillion times better with a freshly-washed, bouncy blowout.

And wow I’m so surprised at how few of you guys like the fishtail! Maybe it was this pic of Amanda Seyfried that made me covet it: http://www.bellasugar.com/Pictures-Amanda-Seyfried-Wearing-Braids-8398931 She wears it a lot looser.

Ashley
Friday, February 25/2011 at 1:34 am

wow its just all so bad! Jen is way to blonde, she is one of those people that looks way better brond although i think you are right that there may be some fillers or something going on there. not a fan of the undercut. ever. she is just way too cute for that. and the greasy (90′s ish?) hair just say no. and january jones? seriously?

on another note lovin the fishtail braid. its fab. i saw a girl do it at a wedding this past summer and i still remember how cute it looked and i have been trying to figure it out. she did it with a short strapless dress and dior heels which I am sure helped but i thought it actually looked really good with the fancy outfit. are there any tutorials??.

Ashley
Friday, February 25/2011 at 1:40 am

nvm looked at yesterdays post again. duh.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 7:00 pm

No worries – I’ll post the link here for anyone who missed that: http://www.bellasugar.com/How–Learn-Fishtail-Braid-2772862

Lindsay
Friday, February 25/2011 at 2:31 pm

Eesh. I agree with you on Claire Danes. Looks like she’s doing that no shampoo experiment.

But I lurve Ginnifer Goodwin’s hair. So rockstar. And I love her makeup in that photo. Her green eyes really pop. So natural and pretty! I posted about it yesterday too.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 7:01 pm

OMG! She’s totally doing no ‘poo! (And what I imagine I’d look like too , if I tried it.)

Hey – did you get a new URL? I’m coming over to visit!

Cathy from ChickAdvisor
Friday, February 25/2011 at 2:32 pm

I’m loving Demi Moore’s braid. I’m totally trying that this weekend!

Monday, February 28/2011 at 7:01 pm

Ok I hope you took pics! Good fishtail braiding tutorials needed!

Kristen
Sunday, February 27/2011 at 2:32 pm

I am loving Ginnifer’s new ‘do. It edges up her look and makes her look not so much like a precious doll. But as you say, she can pretty much pull off anything! And I’m a HUGE fan of the Rihanna short-hair days, so I’m frankly a bit biased.