Milan F/W ’11: Wanna look younger? This little Prada trick is just the ticket! (Wanna look older? Gucci and Fendi have just the colour for you.)

Milan Fashion Week Fall 2011 Prada hair and makeup

There are lots of things you can do to look younger—some advisable, some not. When you wear this fruity fragrance, for example, people think you’re younger by eight to 12 years. And a recent German study recommends surrounding yourself with older people so that you look younger in contrast (nice!). I’m not going to say Botox and fillers, however, because if you’ve read this article—or checked out Madonna’s visage anytime since 2005—you know that “the new new face” is usually just as old-looking as the original one.

Anyway, there’s one more thing you can do to shave years off, and it’s even easier. You won’t have to go shopping. You won’t have to find new friends. And I would nevah suggest that you needed to visit a plastic surgeon.

Nope, this one’s actually FREE. And the makeup artist Pat McGrath, who is the main reason that the Milan and Paris shows are always so exciting, knows all about it.

Check it out in action at Prada this week:

MFW F11 Prada 4 Milan F/W 11: Wanna look younger? This little Prada trick is just the ticket! (Wanna look older? Gucci and Fendi have just the colour for you.)

Did you spot it?

The models are actually mascara-less.

It’s an old trick of mine, too, at least for weekends, and I swear it works. Plus! Confirmation that a younger vibe was what Pat was going for: the theme for the look was “sophisticated schoolgirl.”

You’ll also notice that the eyeshadow-up-to-the-eyebrows thing that I talked about the other day is happening here, too. (Same model, different lighting.)

MFW F11 Prada 1 Milan F/W 11: Wanna look younger? This little Prada trick is just the ticket! (Wanna look older? Gucci and Fendi have just the colour for you.)

Believe it or not, the shadow is CoverGirl, but a hand-blended rosy brown, which was accented with a soft beige eye pencil. And you know what? While it’s not exactly orangey, it certainly echoes the look we saw in New York, particularly Rag & Bone.

There’s also a case of déjà blush, just like at the Marc Jacobs show: it’s applied down and out towards the hairline to mimic a natural flush. Voilà:

MFW F11 Prada 2 Milan F/W 11: Wanna look younger? This little Prada trick is just the ticket! (Wanna look older? Gucci and Fendi have just the colour for you.)

Oh! And did I not just call it that low ponytails will be a trend? I love when everything starts to come together like this.

HOWEVER. If, for some inexplicable reason, you feel like looking older, not younger, then I suggest you get acquainted with the colour burgundy.

Now, don’t get me wrong—I love me some burgundy on my nails, or in a wine glass. But as was confirmed when I interviewed Chanel’s national makeup artist for an anti-aging story in this month’s FLARE, it’s an instant youth zapper. Sucks the collagen right out of you, dontcha know?

Here’s what I mean, at Gucci:

MFW F11 Gucci 1 Milan F/W 11: Wanna look younger? This little Prada trick is just the ticket! (Wanna look older? Gucci and Fendi have just the colour for you.)

Eeks! Those lips!

Again, this was a Pat McGrath show, so they’re CoverGirl. There’s a darker shade around the edges and a lighter one in the centre—I’m guessing both are from the new CoverGirl lipstick line I talked about here. And just like the S/S ’11 Gucci show, the finishing touch was a slick of high-shine gloss. Oh, and the mascara is CoverGirl NatureLuxe, with one zillion coats.

MFW F11 Gucci 2 Milan F/W 11: Wanna look younger? This little Prada trick is just the ticket! (Wanna look older? Gucci and Fendi have just the colour for you.)

I dunno, guys. While I appreciate the whole “’70s chic” vibe, I’m deathly afraid of these dark lip colours and what with the lack of blush, feel like this would make me look like a Goth. Sorry Pat.

Weirdly, I find burgundy on the eyes, at Fendi, a little more wearable:

MFW F11 Fendi 1 Milan F/W 11: Wanna look younger? This little Prada trick is just the ticket! (Wanna look older? Gucci and Fendi have just the colour for you.)

Not that I’d actually go this extreme, of course. But I think the pinky lip gives the burgundy a bit of freshness compared to the Gucci look.

And, well, the makeup is Chanel, so there’s that. This colour was achieved by blending two shades from the forthcoming Illusion d’Ombre eyeshadows, with Chanel Eye Kohl in Clair on the inner lids. Again: all the way up to the freakin’ eyebrows. It’s a thing, I tell you.

Oh, Fashion Week. Tell me:

Were you aware that by going mascara-less, you could lose AT LEAST the back half of the 2000s?
Are you coming around at all to the idea of eyeshadow all the way up to your eyebrows?
If you had to choose just one look, would you do Prada, Gucci or Fendi? (Personally, I’d just take the leather goods and call it a day.)

Rosie
Friday, February 25/2011 at 2:57 pm

I LOVE the burgundy lip look! It’s actually extremely wearable in real life and now I’m definitely inspired to buy the new CoverGirl version. Currently I have the Desire lipglass by MAC which is similar in color but obviously extra glossy and it’s fantastic!

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:40 pm

Hmm maybe it’s because it’s so matte in those pics, I’m having a hard time. With normal lashes and maybe some fresher skin+blush, it’d probably look really pretty! Glossy sounds nice too.

Marina(Makeup4All)
Friday, February 25/2011 at 5:45 pm

I actually LOVE the Gucci lips and I would definitely wear them. Well, I actually do wear such dark shades :) I even like the clumpy lashes in this look just wouldn’t wear them in real life.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:41 pm

I think my lashes sometimes look like this except it’s unintentional! :-)

Sara
Friday, February 25/2011 at 7:56 pm

I’m surprised by how much I really like the mascara less look. I’ve been so trained to put on mascara everyday but this really does look younger and fresher. I’m going to try for the daytime along with the cool messy low ponytail.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:41 pm

I like it too! It’s a nice palette cleanse.

Makeup Morsels
Saturday, February 26/2011 at 12:00 am

hmmmm interesting about the no mascara thing. I would’ve never thought that! I think a burgundy lip can look just fine if it’s blotted, with a little bit of lipbalm applied on top.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:42 pm

Yes – that’s how I would probably wear those CG lipsticks for daytime – I love the blot and balm trick!

Beauty Reductionista
Saturday, February 26/2011 at 1:43 am

You’re bang on with this post. I’m all about the Gucci look lately but the Prada look does really come in handy when trying to look older, esp. in the winter when makeup gets more intense anyway. I’m one of those unfortunate 30-something women who still gets carded now and then. It’s a ****ing pain. If ugly lipstick will get me some extra respect, so be it.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:44 pm

This made me laugh out loud! How funny about getting carded – I think a lot of thirtysomethings would happily trade places with you!

katie
Saturday, February 26/2011 at 1:22 pm

I don’t think looking younger is the end-all. I’d rather look pretty at any age and I think most people look prettier with mascara. I’m not into dark lips on myself but I do think the look at Gucci is beautiful.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:47 pm

Oh I’m not at all saying that we have to consciously try to look younger all the time (or ever!) – just that, as Sara mentions above, we’re so trained to automatically put mascara on every morning… Sometimes it’s kind of neat for a change to just go au naturel; I think more of us can pull that off than we think. (I’m actually very much a minimal makeup person.)

Agree that Gucci is beautiful, I just think for real life it could come off a bit heavy.

Meeka
Saturday, February 26/2011 at 9:05 pm

In the “same model, different lighting” shot that girl looks like a really young Uma Thurman O.o Not so much in her other shots though. Definitely Prada is the most wearable of the three for me, I’m also not a fan of the burgundy lips. Burgundy eye shadow is fine with me just not like that. I’m really digging the Prada hair though, I love the way they’ve done that pony!

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:48 pm

She does look like Uma Thurman! That crossed my mind too.

Sophia
Sunday, February 27/2011 at 12:22 am

It’s hard for me to picture how the no-mascara trick would work since that model is already so young looking, with her beautiful, dewy skin, minimal (minus the shadow) makeup, and overall “innocent look,” but I can definitely see why little eye make-up and a glowy complexion is very youthful

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:50 pm

I think if you skip the mascara, you also need to do nice, glowy skin with some blush to make it work. And probably you should have big eyes to start with.

Raylene Barton
Wednesday, March 2/2011 at 2:43 pm

Loving this look – its my favouraite of all!! Burgandy lips and eyes!!

Gimped
Friday, March 4/2011 at 8:21 am

If I HAD to pick I’d go with the Prada look … but I don’t know if I could give up my mascara. The look is definitely pretty, but I think I’d have to put on at least one coat of mascara. Maybe something brown instead of black so it’s not as “obvious”. And I’m definitely not a fan of the to-the-brow eyeshadow thing. Too much!!

But really, I agree with you, Michelle. I think I’d rather have a purse from any of these designers over their makeup ;)

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 3:26 pm

I know what you mean – I often go without mascara, like on a weekend, but I don’t know if I would feel finished if I also did it with tons of eyeshadow! Brown mascara is a great idea though.

Gaelle Lehrer Kennedy
Friday, March 4/2011 at 10:51 am

Finally, some good, creative advice on makeup! So many women overdo their makeup in hope of looking younger, when it actually makes them look older and emphasis every flaw.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 3:27 pm

Totally! Sometimes you see people with 7 colours on their eyelids and I wonder… WHY?? I like showing the runway shots because they’re great for inspiration, but I think for real life just taking one or two elements works great. And it’s nice to see this less is more approach at Prada.