Best of the 2011 Academy Awards Brushed-out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

Natalie Portman 2011 Oscars

Natalie Portman 2011 Oscars 2 Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

Well that was awkward. Wasn’t it? I don’t know where I mustered the fortitude to get through the entire show, but wowie zowie—when Billy Crystal came on, I was really hoping he would just take over.

Ah well. James Franco, despite needing some concealer—stat!—is really nice to look at, and Anne Hathaway DOES have nice hair.

In fact, in the absence of any notable makeup experimentation (like all the fun lips and seksi eyes we saw at the Globes and SAGs), nice hair was really the beauty theme of the night. (Okay, yes, there were possibly a few wrong moves involving Ken Paves-style hairpieces, but we’ll get to all the bad stuff in my next post.)

For now, here’s who killed it on the red carpet, beauty-wise. I’m so excited because that brushed-out curls thing that I’ve been talking about? It has officially arrived.

BEST BRUSHED-OUT CURLS WITH A TWIST: Natalie Portman

Natalie Portman 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

Not a literal twist, mind you. But a pinning-to-one-side, which I’m always a fan of. (She kept the barrette sort of hidden, unlike Mandy Moore during that musical number, if you recall. Ick.) And the hair itself—from the honey brown colour to the soft wavy texture—is all kinds of amazing. Makeup’s excellent too.

Some did not like the earrings, but I’ve got a thing for tassels, so I will allow them. Once again, Miss Perfect Portman rules the red carpet.

BEST OLD HOLLYWOOD WAVES: Amy Adams

Amy Adams 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

I’m so obsessed with Amy Adams lately. Possibly this is because I’ve been hearing from a few colourists lately that I should dye my hair strawberry blonde. And even though I also hear a lot that I look like Nicole Kidman, I think Amy is the better celeb to emulate, non? I’ll keep you posted on how this turns out.

Anyway, ignoring the unnecessary accessorization with this necklace, I think Amy looks gorgeous here. Again, the brushed-out curls: with a deep side-part, they’re a nod to Old Hollywood but with a modern (read: soft, touchable) texture.

HEALTHIEST, BOUNCIEST, MOST RESILIENT HAIR: Anne Hathaway

Anne Hathaway 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

So she was the cringiest Oscars host evah. She at least got one thing right: her hair held up real well through all of those costume changes. Yes, it’s exactly the same as at the Globes, but when it works, why change it? Many points also for the colour job.

BEST UPDO: Mila Kunis

Mila Kunis 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

I think we’ve seen this hair on Mila a few times now, so it would’ve been nice to see something a little different… but with that delicate lavender dress, there was really no other way to go. Super-slick, too-tight updos are one of my beauty pet peeves, so I love that she does the updo right: low and loose and softly waved and kind of like she did it herself (although we know she most definitely did not).

Sure, there are echoes of Taylor Swift here, but I think it works.

MOST SLEEK: Gwyneth Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

Too bad about that country performance—but I liked Gwynnie’s red carpet look. Aside from that weird butterfly thing or whatever it was on her hip, I thought the dress was a stunner. And what other hair could you wear with it, really? This loose, stick-straight look, along with the subtle makeup, is really modern and doesn’t fight with the outfit.

Skin, however, isn’t looking the most fresh. I could also do with less self-tanner.

BEST POST-PREGNANCY GLOW: Penélope Cruz

Penelope Cruz 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

Must be all those hormones still cursing through her system. This woman looks incredible! But then again, she always does. What I can’t get over—in fact, with ALL of these brunettes—is the hair colour. Whoever is doing their highlights is doing a bang-up job. Pené also excels at that kind of makeup that is there but not really detectable. A yummy mummy indeed.

BEST WINGED EYELINER: Jennifer Hudson

Jennifer Hudson 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

Jennifer Hudson could’ve easily ended up on my “worst” list because of all that shimmer on her arms, back and chest—what was THAT all about? But I’m gonna try and ignore, because I really like what she did her with her makeup. The winged liner on the upper lids is crazy gorgeous, and I love it paired with the tangerine gloss (doesn’t she have amazing lips?).

MOST AGE-APPROPRIATE: Hailee Steinfeld

Hailee Steinfeld 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

Once again, Hailee nails it in terms of what a 14-year-old girl should wear to the Oscars. No, I wouldn’t endorse this particular hairband for anyone out of their teens, but on her, it’s adorbs. Makeup’s great too—I love that they went with the mauve lip and kept her brows full and natural.

MOST TRADITIONALLY SEKSI: Jennifer Lawrence

Jennifer Lawrence 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

I feel kind of meh about this look, not that there’s anything I can point to that’s specifically wrong. (Although I DO think she needs more breast support.) Maybe it’s just her awkwardness on the red carpet—it was really apparent when they showed shots of her trying to pose just before old pro Reese Witherspoon strolled in, completely at ease. That said, I think she had better hair than Reese—brushed-out curls again for the win!—and quite nice smokey eye makeup. I think, as we see more of Jen, she’ll get better at this.

BEST HIDING OF BANGS: Sandra Bullock

Sandra Bullock 2011 Oscars Brushed out curls for the win! Natalie Portman, Amy Adams and yes, Anne Hathaway, take home the beauty prize at the 2011 Oscars

As much as I love Sandy, I wasn’t going to put her on my “best” list because, quite frankly, I’m not all that into this look. (Dress too low-cut, lipstick colour/texture is slightly odd, boring hair…) However, just comparing it to the heavy fringe disaster at the Globes, I feel that I have to give her some credit for sweeping all her hair back. At least we can see her eyes this time.

Did you watch the Oscars last night?
Who do YOU think had the best hair and makeup?
Is Miss Perfect Portman starting to get on your nerves too?

Lisa
Monday, February 28/2011 at 1:43 pm

I wasn’t planning on watching Oscars, but I somehow got sucked in! Odd considering how bad the hosting was. :) I totally love the brushed out curls look too. So soft and pretty. As a brunette myself, I am LOVING these perfectly coloured brunettes. Many years ago I was traumatized when a stylist put light blonde highlights into my med/dark brown hair. I thought- why don’t they train stylists to also make brown hair lighter and pretty- without making it blonde? THIS is how highlighting and colouring on brunette should be done. I may even print this page out and bring it to my hairdresser for future reference.

Natalie Portman is starting to really annoy me- but I really enjoy her hair and makeup. I wonder what brand of makeup she uses since she’s vegan? I use mainly vegan products too but sometimes I find sometimes vegan brands don’t get the colours right on some eye and lip shades. Thought her lip colour was so pretty.

I also loved Mila Kunis’s whole look, and Cate Blanchet’s whole look too. Also loved Helena Bonham Carter for always staying true to her style.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:26 pm

Ohhh yes – I’ve been discussing this very problem (re: highlighting brown hair) with Marina from Makeup4All. Once fashion week is over I’m doing a post about it – but just briefly, here is some food for thought. I interviewed my fave celebrity hair guy, Charles Baker Strahan, a few weeks ago (he does Leighton Meester) and he says the secret is to lowlight not highlight. So instead of trying to get dimension on brown hair by adding blonder pieces, you actually go darker with lowlights and use your natural colour as the highlight. Does that make sense? I think that’s why these ladies all look so natural and amazing.

As for Natalie’s makeup, it was all Dior (which makes sense, given she’s the face of the fragrance). But def not vegan. Here are the prodz used:

SKIN: Capture Totale One Essential serum to prep Natalie’s skin. Nude Natural Glow Foundation in #020 and #030 and Nude Hydrating Concealer in #002 to even out her complexion.

EYES: One Color Eye Shadow in Gold Touch, Two Color Eye Shadow in Purple Look, and Five Color Eye Shadow in Extase Pinks, plus DiorShow Waterproof Mascara in Black and Iconic Mascara in Navy Blue.

LIPS: Addict Lipstick in Infamous Pink and Addict Ultra-Gloss in Apricot Cloche.

CHEEKS: DiorBlush in Peachy Keen.

Beauty Reductionista
Monday, February 28/2011 at 2:23 pm

I LOVE and COVET Anne Hathaway’s hair. And was it glitter on her falsies last night? Maybe she was wearing the new L’Oreal glitter mascara that kept getting promoted during the commercials.

I wasn’t really impressed by anyone’s makeup last night. Basically seemed to consist of a split between the traditional red lips and awful medium tone colours.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:33 pm

Yes! I forgot to talk about those lashes – they didn’t show up in the still photos but watching live, they really glittered. Diamond lashes, apparently – here’s what they look like: http://www.luckymag.com/blogs/luckyrightnow/2011/02/did-anne-hathaways-diamond-las.html

Mia
Monday, February 28/2011 at 2:40 pm

Penelope Cruz is the most gorgeous creature and she never, ever puts a foot wrong.
Hailee Steinfeld has been looking perfect at every event (not just for a 14 year old – lots of others could take tips from her) and I’m happy to see her always looking age appropriate.

Gwynnie’s hair along the part almost looks grey…

I’m also pleased to see these un-airbrushed closeups because it’s good to see slebs with normal looking skin! I won’t feel so bad next time I’m all done up to go out… won’t have that overwhelming feeling that I don’t measure up.

Monday, February 28/2011 at 6:36 pm

Oh I feel for Gwynnie – my roots look like that too, it’s because the natural colour is so ashy. This is why I dye mine all the time… but yeah, kinda weird that she wouldn’t spring for a fresh colour job.

Agree that looking at them up close is a huge self-esteem boost! Well, except for Miss Perfect Portman… she’s annoyingly flawless even magnified x1000.

Kat
Monday, February 28/2011 at 7:57 pm

OH dear, I felt SO sad for Anne Hathaway… I was expecting her to be so glamorous and classy, but she ended up being a giggly, annoying summer camp counselor type. Eek!! What was it with the “WOOOHOOO!” everytime she was done presenting someone, like holy crap woman!!!? I didn’t check the reviews this morning, but if I was her, I wouldn’t either, for fear of spending the next two months cocooning with a truckful of chocolates, re-watching the ceremony and feeling sorry for myself. Gwyneth must’ve been sorta relieved, she wasn’t the worse fail of the ceremony (although, really not that far behind Anne and Kirk..). Also is it me, is it the picture, but Gwyneth’s pores look HUUGE!?

That being said, Mila Kunis, OMG! How hot was that dress?! I kinda agree with you on the hair/makeup, but she’s beginning to give me that Taylor Swift beauty-rut impression. I guess I just wish she’d stay away from the black liner once in a while, y’know? A little gold (or something) wouldn’t hurt the gal.

I must also give props to Celine Dion (!), I was surprisingly fond of her hair!! Her makeup was kinda boring though, like most of her songs. (“ohnoshedidnt!” Yes. I. Did.) Luckily she sang someone else’s.

Kat
Monday, February 28/2011 at 8:24 pm

Oh, and did they need to emphasize so much on the “young and hip” thing?!? I say next year, go for a nice compromise, and ask Sandra Bullock to host. Wouldn’t she be great?

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:23 pm

Totally agree – everyone was down on James Franco, but I found her “woo hoos” way more aggravating. (James doesn’t aggravate me at all, in fact. Yes, he’s a douche and a stoner, but a good-looking douche stoner.)

I also agree re: Mila Kunis rut (her Paris Fashion Week look was the last straw for me) and oh yes – forgot about Celine! She looked good, you’re right.

Meeka
Monday, February 28/2011 at 8:28 pm

Nope, not getting bored of Natalie, she is always stunning and I appreciate it. I also <3 Mila Kunis HUGE. She's my celeb girl crush, that girl is gorgeous! She does have a bit of a beauty rut happening but what she does works on her so well I can see why, and that dress was awesome. I agree with most of your comments above, I think the only one I don't so much is Sandra Bullock. I saw her picture and was all "oh no, just no", I'm not even sure I can say exactly what it is that's so wrong but I don't like it.

Gimped
Friday, March 4/2011 at 8:38 am

I watched the show, and was unfortunately disappointed by the hosting. I think Anne would have been great if she hadn’t been trying so hard to overcompensate for her lame co-host. James Franco was likely just nervous, being a nominee and all, but the Academy should have been aware of that and chosen someone else.

Anyway, Anne I think is actually my winner for the evening. She rarely gets things wrong, which makes her stunningly gorgeous all the time (insert jealousy here). I could not believe her hair!! There were 7-8 dress changes through the evening (all of which were stunning) and every look had a new ‘do … that looked fab. Oh to have hair like that — and her colourist is amazing! Her face: always looks so fresh, and when she’s going for something dramatic it’s not in-your-face.

Gimped
Friday, March 4/2011 at 8:39 am

Sorry, Meeka! I clicked the wrong “Reply” button. It’s early … :)

natalie4natalie
Monday, July 16/2012 at 7:11 am

n portman MUST stop taming her eyebrows, which are by a million miles the most expressive in the world. they have about ten stages of kink/change of direction that can mean ten levels of depth of emotion. in the pic here she’s plucked them to death and is in danger of becoming BLAND. n portman, FREE YOUR BROWS! APPLY MAXICROP AND SHELVE THE TWEEZERS!