Milan Fashion Week Fall 2011 Emilio Pucci hair and makeup

There are some beauty rules that should never be broken. Such as: 1) Always make sure your foundation is an exact match to your skin tone, or 2) Always take your makeup off before you go to bed. (Right? I mean, duh.)

But the one about having to CHOOSE a feature—eyes or lips, but not both—has good intentions behind it, but isn’t necessarily meant to be strictly followed. It’s risky, yes, but impossible? No.

Understandably, lot of peeps get the eyes + lips thing wrong, hence the standard advice to avoid, avoid, avoid. (See: Sharon Stone at the Oscars.) But then there are others—most recently, Miss Nicole Richie—who manage to pull it off perfectly.

That said, I still have reservations about doing this myself, since I don’t have any Oscars ceremonies to attend to in the near future. For some reason this look always ends up translating into black eyeliner with red lipstick, which is a little bit harsh.

That’s why I was delighted to see models at Emilio Pucci and Jil Sander doing this up in a whole new, exciting and slightly softer way.

EYES ‘N LIPS VARIATION #1: Black liner with PINK lips at Emilio Pucci:

MFW F11 Emilio Pucci 2 Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)

Fun, dontcha think? Because that candy pink lip isn’t anywhere near as scary as a red.

The shade is called Girl About Town, and it’s from M.A.C:

MAC Girl About Town Lipstick Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)On the eyes, you’ll notice a bit of the tear duct dippy thing we talked about yesterday, achieved with M.A.C Eye Kohl in Smolder (lower waterlines) and Tarnish (along the lower lash line, drawn blunt and square).

Heck, with the wing coming from the lower lash line—not the top, as you would expect—we could even file this one under new and fully sick ways to wear your eyeliner.

MFW F11 Emilio Pucci 3 Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)

Also? You know those family portrait places they used to have in random malls where you could dress up in Old-Tyme Western costumes like this?

saloon family photo Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)

Well, that’s what the Pucci show reminds me of—in a good way, mind you. (I always used to beg my parents to let us do that, but we never did. #unfulfilledchildhooddream)

Do you see it?

MFW F11 Emilio Pucci 4 Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)

And now for something completely different…

EYES ‘N LIPS VARIATION #2: Red lips with JADE eyes at Jil Sander:

MFW F11 Jil Sander 1 Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)

Okay, so we get to keep the red lip here, but instead of black liner, it’s a blue-green. Gutsy!

I’m not sure if I’d be brave enough to do this for fall, the season for which it’s intended… but with a tan, in the summertime? Quite possibly I might dewit.

After all, it does kind of seem like colour-blocking, for the face, is becoming a bit of a trend. Remember this at Donna Karan?

NYFW FW11 Donna Karan 2 Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)

Eeks! I like the Jil Sander version much better, thank you.

The green is just a teensy tiny hint—it’s Chanel Stylo Yeux Eye Pencil in Jade—as you can see here from another angle:

MFW F11 Jil Sander 2 Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)

The lip is super bold, and super matte: Chanel Rouge Allure Lipstick in Enthusiast.

MFW F11 Jil Sander 3 Milan F/W '11: So you know that rule about not emphasizing your eyes AND your lips? Here are 2 new ways to break it (and not look like a freak)

Okay, now over to you:

Do you follow the rule about choosing eyes or lips, but not both?
Would you try the Pucci or Jil Sander look? (Or neither?)
Did YOUR parents ever take you to Klondike Katy’s Old Tyme Family Portrait Studio?

Stefanie
Thursday, March 3/2011 at 5:48 pm

That first look is kind of misleading… Girl About Town is WAY more vibrant than it appears on the models. It looks like it was just tapped onto the lips with a fingertip and then heavily “watered down” (I don’t know the proper term…) with gloss. When applied regularly this lipstick is my go-to STATEMENT shade and it’s pretty bright

Thursday, March 3/2011 at 6:26 pm

I think they used M.A.C Lip Conditioner with it, so yes, a bit toned down. But definitely more colourful than the standard nude you always see with this type of eye makeup!

Lisa
Thursday, March 3/2011 at 6:08 pm

No blush? That the secret?

Thursday, March 3/2011 at 6:30 pm

I can’t find a complete product run-down for the Jil Sander look, but yes – appears to not use any blush. Makes sense – that might fight with the two bold colours happening elsewhere.

But definitely blush for the Pucci one – the colours used there were M.A.C Cremeblend Blush in Ladyblush and Posey.

Sara
Thursday, March 3/2011 at 6:44 pm

I know this is about makeup but I love the messy hair at Emilio Pucci. I would wear Jade eyes with red lips from Jil Sander, very pretty, and I have this Chanel Ombre D’eau liquid shadow in #81 Ocean from last spring. It’s more of a shimmery green than a Jade.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:07 pm

Same here! It comforts me to see that bedhead is acceptable.

Beauty Reductionista
Thursday, March 3/2011 at 7:42 pm

The blue eyes/red lips combo is super gorgeous on these models but I can’t see it going well in real life for anyone…

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:08 pm

Maybe on people with absolutely flawless, wrinkle-free skin. (But they don’t really need much makeup anyway, so it’s hardly fair!)

Meghan
Thursday, March 3/2011 at 8:06 pm

I think the key to these eye + lip looks is having dramatic eye with a less intense lip. If it were a deep red color it wouldn’t fly. The lip color can be bright and fresh but not deep, or else it overpowers the face.

I love all the looks you’ve featured today! I love the jade eyeliner with bright red lip and I’m totally diggin’ the smudgy liner under the eye that wings up. Awesome! I want to try this look out tomorrow!

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:08 pm

I love the lower-lash line wing too! Who knew there were so many ways to apply eyeliner!?!

Kat (Ramblingbeautyaddict)
Thursday, March 3/2011 at 8:17 pm

I really like the jade and red lips! I’m def gonna give this one a try

Tracy@Beauty Reflections
Thursday, March 3/2011 at 8:43 pm

I love it all! Especially the jade eyeliner/red lip combo. How about a blue eyeliner/bright pink lip combo? I think I’m getting the hang of it!

Adele
Thursday, March 3/2011 at 11:34 pm

WOW, I love that Jil Sander look! I don’t think I’d ever wear it, but it’s gorgeous to look at. (And I want that gorgeous skin…)

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:10 pm

Same here! I think Style.com did a feature on that particular model on their blog, apparently she has the best skin in the biz!

Gyudy
Friday, March 4/2011 at 4:24 am

I often wear purple eyeliner and bright coral lips. Love it!

Gaelle Lehrer Kennedy
Friday, March 4/2011 at 10:55 am

When your young you can get away with any trendy makeup and look fashionable. When your older, it’s called bad taste.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:11 pm

It depends on the trend, but yes, in general as you get older you want to stick with more classic looks.

Mimo
Sunday, March 6/2011 at 7:00 am

i will try the pucci look 2morow ! but i was dien 2 know the shade of lipstick they used so thank u !

Susanne
Sunday, June 19/2011 at 7:29 pm

So in the very first picture of the Jil Sander blue eyeliner & orange/red lips – is that the same Chanel Jade eyeliner or a different color blue. I thought that in Allure, it said the lip color for that model was MAC’s So Chaud. I really really want to know what the name of the blue el the first model wearing is actually wearing.

Friday, July 29/2011 at 4:34 pm