Paris Fashion Week Fall 2011 Nina Ricci makeup

Remember my rant about medium tones not being flattering? I still stand by it—with a caveat that in makeup, “medium” usually means a boring, milquetoast, “dusty” or “tawny” rose with far too much brown in it.

And this is why my philosophy to date, specifically with lipstick, has been to focus on either Bright! Loud! Look At Me! shades like fuchsia, red, berry or orange… or to go to the other extreme, which is nude, nude, nude. Nothing in between.

But you know what? I think I forgot about our old friend, pink. NOT rose. NOT fuchsia. But bubblegum, sorbet, salmon or candy pink. I wouldn’t put these shades in the “medium” camp, because they’re kinda sorta bright (ish). But they’re definitely not as bold as the pigments I usually gravitate towards—and this, I think, makes them incredibly versatile for all kinds of skin tones.

We saw pink already at Pucci, Vivienne Tam and Donna Karan (although I’d never suggest pairing with orange eyeshadow). But the real showstopper is the look at Nina Ricci, which had beauty eds Tweetin’ up a storm this morning.

PFW F11 Nina Ricci 2 Paris F/W '11: The world needs more pink lipstick—and today, beauty editors are buzzing about this one (at Nina Ricci)

Are you loving it? I swear this looks just as good on the blonde and Asian models, above, as it does on this brunette beauty:

PFW F11 Nina Ricci 4 Paris F/W '11: The world needs more pink lipstick—and today, beauty editors are buzzing about this one (at Nina Ricci)

And now for the bad news.

I wasn’t at all surprised to learn that this was a custom-mixed pigment—the best colours always are,  it seems!—created by makeup artist Pat McGrath, who matched it to a piece of fabric from the collection.

And I was reaaaaally hoping it would be something we could buy from CoverGirl. Please, CoverGirl, make this up and sell it toute de suite!

You’re going to love the nails, too, but again, they’re a custom mix. Boo.

PFW F11 Nina Ricci 3 Paris F/W '11: The world needs more pink lipstick—and today, beauty editors are buzzing about this one (at Nina Ricci)

So what CAN I tell you about? Well, we can talk about the eyes, which have CoverGirl eyeshadow in Tapestry Taupe, along with brown mascara.

And I just raided my archives to see what shades we might be able to use to achieve this look.

For the lips, I’m thinking Chanel Rouge Allure Lipstick in Génial:

chanel genial lipstick Paris F/W '11: The world needs more pink lipstick—and today, beauty editors are buzzing about this one (at Nina Ricci)

And for the nails, OPI Nail Polish in My Chihuahua Bites!

OPI my chihuahua bites Paris F/W '11: The world needs more pink lipstick—and today, beauty editors are buzzing about this one (at Nina Ricci)

or Zoya Nail Polish in Elodie (this is actually one of my all-time favourite summer shades)

zoya elodie Paris F/W '11: The world needs more pink lipstick—and today, beauty editors are buzzing about this one (at Nina Ricci)

But I’m sure you guys have tons more shade suggestions, so why don’t we crowd-source this problem…

Are you a fan of the Nina Ricci pink?
Do you have a shade like this—for lips and/or nails—in your collection? Do tell!
Do you like the pink worn bare-faced, like this, or with the heavy eye like yesterday at Pucci?

Jane
Friday, March 4/2011 at 1:50 pm

Ohhh! Sooo pretty! This is totally my kind of look, very wearable in Real Life.

My first thought looking at that lip colour was the new Bobbi Brown Rich Lip Colour in Bikini Pink- dying to try it. And the nails…maybe even OPI Red My Fortune Cookie, a nice orange red! How cute is the red/pink combo!

You’ve really got me intrigued with the Zoya Elodie, even the name is so pretty.

Jane
Friday, March 4/2011 at 2:25 pm

Oops nope wrong lippy. Bikini Pink is waaay too pale. I fully endorse any and all Chanel lippy recos… =D

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:43 pm

I lurrrve Red My Fortune Cookie! If you like that one you’ll heart Elodie – it’s actually one of the favourite shades of green manicurist Jenna Hipp. (Which makes me feel validated.)

Jenny
Friday, March 4/2011 at 1:55 pm

OO LAH LAH! You always have the best taste in lip colour! I LOVE the colour! Please let us know if you find a cheaper alternative because I would love to wear this for spring! :)

Stefanie
Friday, March 4/2011 at 2:09 pm

Just showed this to my coworkers and we are all OBSESSED with it. COVERGIRL PLEASE MAKE THIS SHADE REAL.

Stefanie
Friday, March 4/2011 at 2:10 pm

and I agree with the comment above: please keep up posted if you find some more info on similar colours

Syndee
Friday, March 4/2011 at 2:15 pm

This is a great challenge! I can kind of achieve a similar shade with Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy (that just really rolls off the tongue!) lip gloss in Creamsicle.

It’s a nice orangey-pink at a good price if you want to try that something close to that shade before making a bigger investment.

thechicstorm
Friday, March 4/2011 at 2:28 pm

Chanel Rouge Allure in Charme. So pretty, even if it is a bit sparkly.

michelle
Friday, March 4/2011 at 2:51 pm

cover girl lip perfection in fairytale is a pretty good dupe for chanel genial :DDD
as seen here:

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:45 pm

NOICE! And wow – that was a lotta swatching! Thanks for the find, it looks like a near-perfect match!

Arianne
Friday, March 4/2011 at 3:00 pm

Marcelle Rouge Xpression in Paris Rose! It’s a dead on dupe. :)
I posted swatches here: http://www.glittergeek.ca/2011/02/marcelle-rouge-xpression-lipsticks-team-brights/

Stefanie
Friday, March 4/2011 at 9:05 pm

amazing, that one looks perfect

Jenny
Sunday, March 6/2011 at 9:31 am

OO! just checked it out on your blog and the swatches are great! Especially since you have a yellow undertone like me so I can fully compare :) thanks arianne!

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:47 pm

Awesome – thanks Arianne! I feel like it’s maybe missing the slight chalkiness but pretty darn perfect!

sheri
Friday, March 4/2011 at 6:04 pm

maybe Revlon Matte in Mauve It Over? I don’t have it with me right now, so can’t do a swatch.

Ashley
Friday, March 4/2011 at 10:23 pm

for the nail color Revlon Coral me Wild seems quite close. its my new
i cant think of anything close to the lip color unfortunately :(

Meghan
Saturday, March 5/2011 at 2:21 pm

Ooooohhhh! I love the Zoya nail polish shade in Elodie. Is it in stores yet or do we have to wait to buy it? The shade looks very similar to a honeysuckle type lipstick shade I mixed up on my blog using OCC Lip tars and M.A.C. Lipmix’s : http://wp.me/pHXFO-3F
I think this polish would the be perfect accompaniment. Thanks Michelle!

I am so excited about the pink lipsticks headed our way for the Spring. They look so feminine and beautiful. Very wearable colors that I can’t wait to see people sporting. What’s awesome is that they seem to look good on everyone! Foolproof color = happy me.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:50 pm

It’s an oldie, from The Hills collection. It’s still on their site so they still sell it!

And can I just say that I love your lipstick mix? I do that with a few Cargo ones I have – to tone down the orange I mix it with pink… and to make the red more of a poppy I mix it with orange!

skybluesky
Sunday, March 6/2011 at 10:55 pm

Michelle! Dahling, I’ve missed you! I’ve been busy with a new job and a bunch of other stuff.

Ok, enough off topic stuff. I love the pink lips! I like corals on me, but it’s still in that family of colors…ish. Bobbi Brown has a new lipstick collection that I’m in love with (rich lip color spf 12). Guava, Sweet Nectar, and Soft Coral are all coral-y colors. There are pinks, too, but I haven’t checked those out too closely…yet.

I love that color of nail polish! I’m the same way…I’d rather get a bold color if I’m going to waste my time and energy painting my nails or spending money on a manicure.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:53 pm

I hear you! Drop by anytime :-)

Just checked out the Bobbi lipsticks and you’re right, lots of coral! As per comment above, one thing I do to tone it down is to mix with a pink. Makes it less scary :-)

Sophia
Monday, March 7/2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve been wearing Joe Fresh sheer lip crayon in Candy lately and luuurve it. It’s got loads more colour than I thought a *sheer* colour would have. It was like $6 or so.

When I want to go matte, I’m addicted to Revlon Matte Lipstick in Pink About It. Also a cheap find!

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:55 pm

Just looked that up – nice colour! You can’t beat $6. All the beauty eds are wearing their matte lipstick in Fuchsia.

Gimped
Friday, March 25/2011 at 10:19 am

Sophia and Michelle,

I just tried finding the Pink About It and Fuchsia shades on the Revlon website and I can’t find them :( Are they no longer avail??

Saturday, March 26/2011 at 11:08 am

Not sure about Pink About It, I haven’t tried – but Fuchsia is in the Colorburst line: http://www.revlon.com/Revlon-Home/Products/Lips/Lipcolor/Revlon-ColorBurst-Lipstick.aspx

lorisf
Monday, March 7/2011 at 2:32 pm
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:56 pm

Like it! A bit more red.

Michelle
Monday, March 7/2011 at 6:09 pm

Did you know that Rimmel actually has some of the most awesome colors for this look? I just picked up “Nostalgia” , “Just So” & “Celeb”. I had “Airy Fairy” which is pale but still good.

Check it out. Under $5. a tube.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:57 pm

I did not! (And also had no idea Rimmel was so cheap – it’s seriously $5?)
Good to know!

elise
Tuesday, March 8/2011 at 8:50 pm

Try Revlon’s lipstick in Pink in the Afternoon! It’s a bit warmer (and not as light) as the first photo. It actually looks very similar to what the lipstick looks like on the asian model in the second photo. Amazing shade! Absolutely cannot get enough of it.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:58 pm

Looked it up – so pretty! You guys rock – so many amazing recos in this post now. Thanks everyone!

Elodie
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 4:10 am

Yay, my name is such a pretty shade! =)

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 5:29 pm

It is! Definitely one of my all-time favourite nail polish colours… I return to it again and again. (Celeb manicurist Jenna Hipp hearts it too!)

Circosan
Monday, October 31/2011 at 3:02 pm

Try CoverGirl Lip Perfection lipstick in #260 Heavenly (paradisiaque)—-I believe this is the perfect salmon-sorbet medium pink you are looking for!! It’s perfect (no shimmer, no frost, opaque but not cakey/drying). I love this look (on blog), and this is my go-to lipstick for this look :)

ellen
Thursday, March 13/2014 at 7:55 pm

These aree all nice but my fav “in your face” pink, with no purple was Opi Chiuaua bites lipstick; discontinued, naturally. Does anyone know of a good match for this it is a bright deep pink but with neither purple or red overtones. Looks like relish polish color all dahlia-ed up. except for lips. it is unapologetically deep bright pink