Paris Fashion Week Fall 2011 Chanel makeup

As everyone knows, Chanel is the ne plus ultra in beauty (as well as fashion—duh!). My heart may belong to YSL, product-wise, but in terms of setting trends, Chanel gets the edge just about every time.

This is why it always gets its very own post, come Fashion Week. There is so much we need to discuss! Not only does the brand bang out a few things we’ve already seen in New York, Paris and London—making them big-time trends fo’ realsies now—but they also do brand new stuff with their very own special Chanel twist. Mais oui!

This time around, it’s all about the metallics, specifically a silvery gunmetal shade that made its way on to the eyelids (more about the application in a sec) and, mixed with some green, on the nails. You. Will. Love.

FO’ REALSIE BEAUTY TREND #1: Eyeshadow all the way up to the eyebrows.

PFW F11 Chanel 4 Paris F/W '11: Chanel says the colour of the moment is gunmetal—in both eyeshadow and nail polish—and so we must listen. We must!

As Randy Jackson would say, check it out, check it ouuuut. While the full-on eyeshadow thing was a tad scary at 3.1 Phillip Lim, and doubly scary when done in orange (like at Thakoon), silver is infinitely more wearable.

This particular shade is called Épatant, and it’s from Chanel’s new Illusion d’Ombre cream eyeshadow collection, which debuts this fall. (We saw the prodz first at the Fendi show, which ALSO featured eyeshadow all the way up to the brows, but in purple.) The shadows will come in trios, and the other two colours in this palette are Mirifique—a shimmery black which was used at the outer corners of the eyes—and Émerveille, a shimmery white that went at the centre of the top and bottom lids. Purty.

FO’ REALSIE BEAUTY TREND #2: Eyeshadow underneath the lower lashes.

PFW F11 Chanel 1 Paris F/W '11: Chanel says the colour of the moment is gunmetal—in both eyeshadow and nail polish—and so we must listen. We must!

Yep, this is another one that’s important for any future eyeshadow application, laydeez: please apply it all the way around the eye.

Because these are cream shadows, Chanel’s Peter Philips used his fingers, but he says you can also use an angled brush for an eyeliner effect.

FO’ REALSIE BEAUTY TREND #3: Black eyeliner.

PFW F11 Chanel 3 Paris F/W '11: Chanel says the colour of the moment is gunmetal—in both eyeshadow and nail polish—and so we must listen. We must!

So remember all the new and fully sick ways to wear eyeliner that we saw in Milan? Well, the take-home message is that it kind of doesn’t matter what you DO with your eyeliner, you just need to wear it. In black.

The Chanel interpretation comes courtesy of the cream eyeshadow, Mirifique (applied with a brush and just ever-so-slightly winged out at the edges), plus Chanel Le Crayon Yeux in Khaki Platine on the waterlines.

FO’ REALSIE BEAUTY TREND #4: Chunky mascara.

PFW F11 Chanel 6 Paris F/W '11: Chanel says the colour of the moment is gunmetal—in both eyeshadow and nail polish—and so we must listen. We must!

I know not all y’all are gonna like this one, but I’m feelin’ it. I am. We saw it at Gianfranco Ferré, and then Chloé, and now here. So it’s happening, folks. BOOYAH! Time to stock up on some L’Oréal Paris Voluminous (which is the bomb, by the way).

And now for a couple of brand new, super-special things that we HAVEN’T seen before!

The hair is awesome blossom—low side buns adorned with pretty hairpieces and with loose, longish side bangs in the front.

From the back:

PFW F11 Chanel 5 Paris F/W '11: Chanel says the colour of the moment is gunmetal—in both eyeshadow and nail polish—and so we must listen. We must!

And from the front:

PFW F11 Chanel 7 Paris F/W '11: Chanel says the colour of the moment is gunmetal—in both eyeshadow and nail polish—and so we must listen. We must!

And the nails… oh my goodness, the nails. This is the new It colour, Graphite, which will be out this fall (and sure to require waiting lists).

PFW F11 Chanel 8 Paris F/W '11: Chanel says the colour of the moment is gunmetal—in both eyeshadow and nail polish—and so we must listen. We must!

Hand-mixed to match the gunmetal eyes, it’s an iridescent green-gray that alternatively reads as pewter or gold, depending on the way the light hits.

It’s also more subtle than last season’s Black Pearl, and I like it very, very much. Le sigh.

UPDATE: Found a close-up!

Chanel Graphite nail polish 2 Paris F/W '11: Chanel says the colour of the moment is gunmetal—in both eyeshadow and nail polish—and so we must listen. We must!

Are you feeling the F/W ’11 beauty look from Chanel?
Do you think this gunmetal colour would allow you to do all these crazee things with your eyeshadow application?
What about the nails—will you be joining the wait list for Graphite?

Lindsay
Wednesday, March 9/2011 at 2:23 pm

Loving all of this.

Virginia
Wednesday, March 9/2011 at 3:27 pm

wow I’m loving everything about this post. I can’t wait to try to do all of them.

shelby
Wednesday, March 9/2011 at 5:20 pm

woop woop, minus chunky mascara, these are all ways i’ve been wearing my eyeshadow for a looong time.

Wednesday, March 9/2011 at 6:55 pm

Way to lead the pack! How do you feel about the chunky mascara? I feel like I do that half the time unintentionally… :-)

Beauty Reductionista
Wednesday, March 9/2011 at 5:33 pm

I’ve never put myself on a waitlist for a nail polish but Graphite WILL be mine! Loving all the looks. The shadows are to die for. To me, it really makes up for the less than creative summer collection.

Wednesday, March 9/2011 at 6:56 pm

Isn’t it gorgeous? I wasn’t feeling the dark green but this paler version is such a nice neutral. Chanel does it again!

Kat
Wednesday, March 9/2011 at 7:23 pm

As Shelby says, basically! I won’t need to shop much of anything beauty-wise to achieve all of that, this eyeshadow is basically a blend of all the colors in my eyes, therefore already favorites! Plus I’ve been having a shockingly hard time achieving anything less than chunky with my new Falsies mascara, so.. there ya go. That and about a gazillion pink lipshticks later, I’m all set to emulate the Chanel looks! Yay! :D

Somehow the nail color seems the least appealing.. I see glitter in there, and that’s a trend I just can’t get to work for me. I got a glittery, green-ish nail polish last year, although darker than this one, and I wore it like.. once. It’s cool, sure, but not very wearable. And hell to remove! (glitter… errrhhhm.)

Friday, March 11/2011 at 7:20 pm

LOVE Maybelline Falsies! Great suggestion – why didn’t I mention that instead of Voluminous in the post? :-)

Re: the nail polish, I think it’s more of an iridescent quality than actual glitter. But I know what you mean about glitter being annoying. HOWEVER – I was recently been surprised and totally delighted by the glitter in Deborah Lippmann’s line. There is one in particular called Bad Romance that you should check out – it’s a black-ish base with purple sparkles (sounds gross but is really gorgeous on) and it is both easy to apply AND remove. You don’t at all get that gritty feeling… it is a technological wonder!

Meghan
Thursday, March 10/2011 at 4:38 pm

Oh, Chanel. Just when I think I’m satisfied with my burgeoning nail polish stash you come out with something new to covet. I have been twirling around with Black Pearl on my fingers, so yes – I will be putting my name down for their new multi colored gunmetal creation too! I want to see swatches of it now on nails!

Friday, March 11/2011 at 7:22 pm

I just found a close-up! Updating the post now.

katie
Thursday, March 10/2011 at 6:52 pm

This shadow looks similar to the ombree perlees palette- which is beautiful and one of my favorite pieces of make-up- though I am not daring enough to wear so much shine all the way to my brows! Perhaps this shadow is less shiny that the quint. Love the polish! Black Pearl is a little too blue for my liking; I think I will like this much better. Love the hair clip/ornament; would love to find something like that w/o paying chanel prices for it… Looks very effortlessly elegant.

Friday, March 11/2011 at 7:23 pm

I would try Forever 21 for the hair accessories – they have some really cute stuff and it’s all around $10!

Jane
Friday, March 11/2011 at 8:27 am

I LOVE Black Pearl with its miraculous greenish-black hue, this Graphite looks absolutely gorgeous….

Friday, March 11/2011 at 7:24 pm

Posting a close-up now – it’s actually more gold than I thought (hence post title a bit inaccurate, oh well!).

gilla haddad
Monday, March 14/2011 at 12:46 am

I loved every thing i”ve seen!!!

Gimped
Tuesday, March 15/2011 at 11:45 pm

PLEASE tell me that the to-the-brow shadow thing is for lighter shades only, and that we’re not gonna start seeing darker shades applied the same way — THAT could get very Hallowe’en-ish.

Shadow on the lower lids always look nice … but again it’s one of those hard-to-stay-put things. Even after applying a primer I find that it still likes to migrate … or just disappear. Is there a trick to applying this stuff? And are creams the way to go vs powders?

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 1:42 pm

There was burgundy shadow-to-the-brows at Fendi but no, I don’t recommend that for real life. Same with the green at 3.1 Phillip Lim – a bit too much. I think it was done best at Chanel and also Prada – more in today’s post about that! http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/03/16/fw-11-now-that-all-the-fashion-weeks-are-dunzo-lets-recap-with-the-top-10-prettiest-beauty-trends-you-should-try%E2%80%94like-right-now/

For underneath the lower lashes, yes, do a primer, but if you find it’s getting all smeary then you’ll probably want a waterproof or at least long-lasting shadow. YSL is my favourite for the latter… for waterproof there is less selection but I’ve used Dior Eye Show for years and very happy with it. Usually the waterproofs are a cream texture. If I’m not mistaken I think Benefit and Clinique also have them?

Another thing you could try would be to just use a waterproof eye pencil or even one of those gel eyeliners, and apply it thickly so that you get the look of eyeshadow but with more staying power.

Hope that helps!

abeer
Monday, September 12/2011 at 4:47 pm

wait list for graphite!!?! its sold out everywhere already! i managed to grab a bottle at the airport in scotland last week!! I am in LOVE with it!

abeer
Monday, September 12/2011 at 4:48 pm

I also got epatante, mirifique and illusoire!! :faint: I’ve never splurged this much on Chanel makeup all at once!