Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on-trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

Paris Fashion Week Fall 2011 Valentino hair and makeup

While I’m no stranger to experimentation with hair colour—I’ve been everything from platinum blonde to strawberry to chestnut brown, and even Ombré—I am incredibly lazy when it comes to styling. Maybe it’s because I’ve found my Life Cut and am therefore pretty satisfied with how my hair falls, even when I let it air-dry (which is 99 percent of the time, if I’m being really honest here). Occasionally I will do a side bun/braid, or a top knot… but my go-to thing is either wearing it all down or just throwing the top parts back in a mini clip, and this needs to change.

Especially because there is a whole word of hair accessories out there, as the last gasp of Paris Fashion Week has reminded me. I’m talking about headbands, ribbons, low ponytails, sleek buns and a half updo that makes the one I’ve been doing look like doodoo.

Now, if you’re worried that I’m going to recommend some complicated 42-step tutorial, please don’t be. For once, there’s actually nothing too complicated about these looks, and I’m confident that every single one of us could successfully DIY.

So on that note, here are four new looks—with four corresponding hair accessories that I highly suggest adding to your beauty toolkit.

HAIR ACCESSORY #1: THE BLACK RIBBON OR HEADBAND (at Valentino)

PFW F11 Valentino 1 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

Hot damn, I love the hair at Valentino. It’s kind of Grecian, don’t you think? (And Lord knows I love ancient Greece—it’s provided me with much inspiration for Halloween costumes over the years, as well as the excuse to smash plates and drink copious amounts of Ouzo while wearing a pink toga at this place.)

Anyway! The inspiration was not, surprisingly, drunken backpackers in Corfu, but the 1960s—which, like I said, are closing in on the heels of the ’70s trend we’ve been enjoying lately.

I knew immediately that the man behind this look was Guido Palau, because I’ve interviewed him before and he lurrrrves headbands. And when you look at these pics, what’s not to love, really?

PFW F11 Valentino 2 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

You could actually do a real ribbon or (for a better hold) just a stretchy, thin black headband—I’ve got tons of them from Goody and they’re great.

Notice that the hair was backcombed at the crown for height before it was gathered into the ponytails. (And before that, it was blown out using Redken Velvet Gelatine for thickness and bounce.)

PFW F11 Valentino 6 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

The ponytails, as we saw in London, were low—and so as not to fight with the main accessory, had hair wrapped around the elastic bands to conceal them.

PFW F11 Valentino 4 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

And then, for the final look, Palau pulled out some soft tendrils on either side of the centre part:

PFW F11 Valentino 3 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

HAIR ACCESSORY #2: THE MINI BOBBY PIN (at Louis Vuitton)

PFW F11 Louis Vuitton 2 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

The hair at LV was styled into super-slick, super-tight ponytails… but check out the back:

PFW F11 Louis Vuitton 1 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

Once again, we have the covered-up elastic. And so I must alert you to the tool you need to achieve it. Not regular bobby pins, but MINI ones:

Goody mini bobby pins Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkitAgain, Goody makes these too, and they’re particularly excellent for this type of work because unless your hair is very thick, a longer bobby pin will show. They’re available in different colours to match your hair—noice!—but just remember to criss-cross them, otherwise they won’t hold.

HAIR ACCESSORY #3: THE GOODY SPIN PIN (not really at Stella McCartney… but it could be!)

PFW F11 Stella McCartney 1 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

I know I JUST talked about this one in my top 5 beauty editor’s picks of the week on Friday, but I need to mention it again. Even though these buns—by Eugene Souleiman—were achieved with the old-fashioned bobby pin, you could totally use the Spin Pin (in its regular or mini incarnation) to get this look.

Unlike the buns at YSL, which were a little too difficile to DIY, these ones are deliberately imperfect. And nicer-looking too, don’t you think?

PFW F11 Stella McCartney 2 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

No prodz used here, just a deep side part and a slightly rough texture at the crown (achieved with fingers—that’s it!).

HAIR ACCESSORY #4: THE HAIR COMB (at Miu Miu)

PFW F11 Miu Miu 1 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

Do you remember the hair comb? It was kind of a big deal in the 1980s:

tortoiseshell hair comb Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkitAnd guess what? It might be making a comeback, because check out the back of the half updo at Miu Miu:

PFW F11 Miu Miu 2 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

I guess this means I have to upgrade! You can buy these tortoiseshell puppies from (again) Goody. This was another Guido Palau creation: hair was prepped with Redken Wax Blast 10 High Impact Finishing Spray Wax to give it a piecey finish, and then swept up on either side of the centre part.

PFW F11 Miu Miu 3 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

Now ladies, there was just one more hair accessory that made the rounds at Paris Fashion Week, specifically Alexander McQueen:

PFW F11 Alexander McQueen 1 Paris F/W '11: Hair accessories are your friends! Here are 4 supremely useful and on trend ones to add to your beauty toolkit

But I wouldn’t DARE recommend that you fashion a helmet out of silver and black Goody hair barrettes. No I wouldn’t. Please don’t try this one at home, kids.

Anyway! Tell me:

Are you a regular user of hair accessories or a lazy beeyotch like me?
Might you be inspired to test-drive one or more of these looks?
Isn’t it sooper exciting that a hairstylist as famous as Guido Palau uses drugstore hair accessories? So, you know, you have a backup in case you can’t afford the stuff they used at Chanel.

Sophia
Monday, March 14/2011 at 5:37 pm

Ahhh this has me longing for me longer hair. I went the way of the bob and blunt bangs in the fall. It’s long enough now to pin it into a low chignon so I might get myself some of those Spin Pins, but I don’t think any of these other looks would look right on me. Saddiez :’(

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:10 pm

Hey I love blunt and bangs! You just don’t see that much on the runway because for a model, long hair = most versatile = biggest number of jobs.

You could totally play with the texture though – and even part your bangs in the middle so you show more forehead… the centre part is HUGE. I do that all the time just because I’m too lazy to get bang trims every other week.

Ashley
Monday, March 14/2011 at 10:04 pm

I <3 haircombs! i have been wearing them for-ever because for super thick, long hair they actually hold unlike their whimpy bobbypin counterparts. glad to see something easy to wear is actually in. one on either side does a cute volumized half up or you can do one on one side like the emma stone do' you liked. Does anyone know of a cheaper spray hair wax? I loved the John Freida for blondes one but they discontinued it :(

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:14 pm

Same here! I used to wear them sometimes but lost them, so I am definitely going to re-invest.

For spray wax I think this line is pretty inexpensive: http://www.sallyhershberger.com/styling_genius.html

Ashley
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 10:19 pm

that seems perfect but where does a person buy that?

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 1:41 pm

Shoppers Drug Mart!

Meeka
Monday, March 14/2011 at 11:13 pm

I was not aware there were mini spin pins out there O_o I have thin hair and I find the normal ones are a bit too long for me. Also, I should be investing in mini bobby pins. I’m not a fan of headbands but that headband/low pony combo at Valentino looks gorgeous. I seriously dislike the back picture from Miu Miu, it looks bad messy and much too 80′s, although I could be convinced to try the combs again :P

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:15 pm

I think the Emma Stone version as Ashley suggested above would be a good way to wear a hair comb without looking too 80s! http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/03/10/fw-11-if-you-ever-score-an-invite-to-fashion-week-in-paris-hey%E2%80%94it-could-happen-you-should-do-your-hair-and-makeup-like-these-celebs/

Vero
Tuesday, March 15/2011 at 7:07 pm

Definitely LOVE the hairband/ribbon thing…I used to rock it but found they always slipped backwards and off and ruined my ‘do! But I kept all my bands, so I guess I just have a sweet spot for ‘em! I also did the bob/bangs thing but I’m growing the hair out now (I concentrate very hard on it) and will try to see what I can churn out.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:16 pm

I know what you mean. The stretchy ones have better hold. I have a nice, not-too-thick, not-too-think one from Goody that I like. But with Goody you kind of have to hunt around… I feel like their stuff is hit and miss at Shoppers.

Gimped
Tuesday, March 15/2011 at 11:16 pm

Are there any hair trends for shorter shoulder-length-ish hair?

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:27 pm

Good question! Definitely the centre part but I know we talked about that before and it’s not necessarily right for all face shapes.

I think you want to pay attention to texture – it’s still a bit on the slightly bedhead-ish side with that solid (not piecey), brushed-out thing I’ve been talking about. And not stick straight, like at Chloe there was a bit of a bend in the hair (although you don’t want to start the waves too high up on the head). http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/03/08/paris-fw-11-its-official-i-want-to-look-like-a-chloe-chick-read-70s-haute-bohemian-not-a-ysl-girl-60s-chic%E2%80%94what-about-you/

Oh wait – I found one pic of a shorter-hair model, from Chanel! Uploaded it for you: http://beautyeditor.ca/wp-content/uploads/PFW-F11-Chanel-9.jpg

Gimped
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 4:36 pm

Thanks, Michelle!

Lauren
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 4:58 pm

I like that the new headband trend is a little more grown up. I’ll try it and see if it makes me look older than 14 this time.

xoxo
Lauren from ChickAdvisor

Rosie
Monday, March 28/2011 at 3:18 pm

I absolutely ADORE the Valentino pony and have been doing it at home ever since you posted this. The stretch headbands constantly slip off my head but I found a nice very thin one that works just as well. I was hoping you could comment on the Valentino makeup here – I want to try that at home as well! It looks like she’s wearing the lightest possible touch of gray shadow, but I’m not the expert. How can I achieve such a gorgeous, subtle look??

Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 6:46 pm

Awesome! Where did you get your headband?

As for the makeup – let me ask the PR if they can find out the actual shade names… I believe it’s all CoverGirl. The eyeshadow is a gray/brown, not sure about the lips. They might be custom-mixed shades as Pat McGrath often does that for the runway. I do know the foundation and mascara are CoverGirl NatureLuxe (a new line).

Rosie
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 6:58 pm

The headbands I found were also Goody products – just a simple, thin black headband to achieve a similar look. I just can’t stand the stretch ones slipping off all the time. But a ribbon would probably achieve the best “sweet” look.

Wednesday, March 30/2011 at 3:57 pm

Cool! Love Goody stuff. I heard back from the CoverGirl PR and they don’t have info on the shades yet… but to me it looks like you’d want to do a soft grey/brown taupey shade for the entire lid and underneath the lower lashes, with maybe a bit of extra definition around the crease. Then that sorta spidery black mascara on top and bottom lashes, and possible some black liner on the upper waterlines to add definition. Doesn’t look like they’re wearing much blush…if at all… and the lips might be bare too – although if they could make a lip product like what that first model has I’d be first in line to buy it!