F/W ’11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, let’s recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

New York Fashion Week Fall 2011 Ralph Lauren makeup

We made it! Fashion Month is officially ovah for another six months, and wasn’t it grand? So much easier to help ourselves to the bird’s-eye Internet version than, as I said, having to get all dressed up in front of Anna Wintour and have people diss your attempt to be fashionable. (I STILL maintain that Emma Stone looked amazing, by the way—even if I was the only one who enjoyed her hair and makeup.)

Anyway, now that we’ve taken it all in—virtually, of course—it’s time to simmer down and think about What It All Means. Yes, we ponder life’s big questions here at BEAUTY EDITOR HQ.

As you know, I always like to jump right in and start predicting beauty trends left, right and centre right while they happen. But a little perspective is always good. Can I call six days perspective? Probably not, but I’m going to tell you about what I think were the top 10 beauty trends anyway.

Disclaimer: I mean the PRETTIEST beauty trends, of course. Sure, there was an androgynous thing happening at Dolce & Gabbana, but I’m going to assume that if you are reading a beauty blog you do not want to look like a man. AMIRITE?

Oh, and before we start, two more things. First, skin. It was very, very, natural. Not dewy, not shimmery, not too matte, just normal, real skin. So yay! You don’t really have to do anything on that front.

And brows: they are no longer bleaching the shiz out of them. Which I assume you weren’t doing at home anyway (although I did).

Okay, now let’s continue.

TREND TO TRY #1: BIG, FAT, JUICY RED LIPS

LFW F11 Temperley London 1 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Temperley London, Ralph Lauren, Diane von Furstenberg, Jil Sander

Why you should care: Whereas we saw tons of different lip colours on the spring runways—and remember, spring hasn’t even happened yet, so we can still get to wear them!—I think the colour of choice for fall was bright red. And double points if you have big fat lips to wear it with (although I suspect some of these looks were achieved by drawing just outside the lip line… which I can’t really recommend for at-home). My absolute favourite was the Temperley London look (above), with Ralph Lauren (at the top of this post) coming a close second… although Jil Sander’s colour-blocking take (with the teal eyeshadow) was also a very cool little micro-trend.

TREND TO TRY #2: THE LOW BUN

PFW F11 Chanel 3 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Chanel, YSL, Stella McCartney

Why you should care: Last summer was all about the top knot, but now the low bun is having a moment. (It’s also less man-repelling, just FYI.) I thought Chanel did it best, all loose and soft, instead of the super-tight YSL version. (Sorry YSL. You know I love your makeup.) To find out about the perfect bun-creating tool, check out this vid.

TREND TO TRY #3: NIFTY NAIL ART

NYFW F11 Jason Wu 1 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Vivienne Tam, Behnaz Sarafpour, Badgley Mischka, Jen Kao, Prabal Gurung, Jason Wu, Preen, Monique Lhuillier, Tibi

Why you should care: It’s funny. New York was all about the fancy nail, but then London, Milan and Paris—with the exception of Thierry Mugler’s Gaga Minx—kind of dropped the ball. But no matter, because there were already more than enough options outta NYC. My faves were at 3.1 Phillip Lim (dots not moons), Jason Wu (above, for a fancy-schmanzy special occasion) and (more realistically for a DIY), the colourful French manis at Tibi and Preen.

TREND TO TRY #4: BLACK EYELINER, 592 WAYS

NYFW FW11 Marc Jacobs 5 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Giorgio Armani, DSquared2, D&G, Marc Jacobs, Vivienne Tam, Emilio Pucci

Why you should care: Honestly, there were so many creative and beautiful techniques that it doesn’t really matter what you do with your black eyeliner—as long as you wear some. Probably the easiest to DIY were the Marc Jacobs (above) and Vivienne Tam versions—or the Pucci, because sometimes the path of least resistance is to just put on as much as you can and call it a day. The double-line Giorgio Armani one might be best left to the pros.

TREND TO TRY #5: EYESHADOW THAT’S (WAIT FOR IT) ALL THE WAY UP TO THE EYEBROWS

MFW F11 Prada 1 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Prada, Chanel, Fendi, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Rag & Bone

Why you should care: You knew I was going to mention this one. And I maintain, based on Real Life Case Study Emma Stone, that it can actually look great. As long as you do it in a similarly pale colour, a la Prada (above) or Chanel. I don’t think I want to see anybody in real life rocking the Fendi.

TREND TO TRY #6: THE LOW PONYTAIL

PFW F11 Valentino 3 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Valentino, Prada, Burberry Prorsum, Diane von Furstenberg, Vera Wang

Why you should care: Isn’t it nice to see the humble ponytail finally getting some respect? So many of us are guilty of just throwing our none-too-clean hair back with a grubby elastic… but this style can look all kinds of amazing with a little TLC. Valentino (above) did it best with the volume at the crown and the ribbons.

TREND TO TRY #7: WARM, EARTHY TONES

NYFW FW11 Rodarte 2 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Rodarte, Vera Wang, Rag & Bone, Burberry Prorsum, Chloé

Why you should care: Rodarte (above) was really the poster child for this look, with that bronzy brown shade on the lips and the nails. And guess what? Yes, I had a “medium tones” rant—which was completely ignored by these designers, obvs—but because I am such a beauty victim, it looks like I might just be embracing this trend after all. If you’re not down with it (and believe me, I understand), try a deep brown like at Vera Wang.

TREND TO TRY #8: PINK LIPS

PFW F11 Nina Ricci 2 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Nina Ricci, Jenni Kayne, Emilio Pucci, Donna Karan

Why you should care: We’re still going strong with pink lipstick, folks, and while I was previously enamoured with Jenni Kayne-style hot pink, I’m now finding myself drawn to the Nina Ricci salmon. But honestly, I love them all—you simply cannot be in a bad mood when you wear pink lipstick of any kind. Unless it’s shimmery.

TREND TO TRY #9: SPIDERY LASHES

MFW F11 Gianfranco Ferre 1 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Gianfranco Ferré, Gucci, Chanel, Chloé

Why you should care: Even though it’s true that you DO look younger when you skip mascara—like we saw at Prada—the chunky lash thing is something everyone can do to make their eyes stand out more. I mean, think about it: you don’t have to learn any complicated eyeshadow techniques or have the right colouring, etc. Everyone looks good in black mascara! I thought the Gianfranco Ferré look, above, was TO DIE.

TREND TO TRY #10: THE CENTRE PART

PFW F11 Chloe 3 F/W 11: Now that all the Fashion Weeks are dunzo, lets recap with the top 10 prettiest beauty trends you should try—like, right now!

Seen at: Chloé, Burberry Prorsum, Ralph Lauren, Temperley London

Why you should care: With a few noteworthy exceptions (like Chanel), the centre part was the way to go this season, whether hair was worn down or pulled back. My number one—on many levels—was the Chloé show, where the models had long, centre-parted hair with a bit of natural-looking bend to it. But the centre-parted low buns at Temperley London and Ralph Lauren were super-purty too!

So tell me…

What was your absolute favourite, can’t-wait-to-try-it beauty trend from the F/W ’11 shows?
Which trend(s) do you think you’ll be quietly ignoring?
Did you almost forget that S/S ’11 hasn’t even happened yet? Because I’ll just remind you, we still need to do our bright lips—particularly orange—and all of those colourful shades (like turquoise!) on the eyelids.

Lipschtick Blog
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 2:15 pm

I. am. obsessed. with. pink. lips. and. spidery. lashes.

Super fierce.

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:43 pm

I think I’m gonna do the spider for my next vid. (Now that I feel the pressure to look half-decent for y’all.)

Kat
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 7:53 pm

I just love all of it. All of it, even the damn eyeshadow to the eyebrowz, and I too thought Emma Stone was very pretty. And who cares if it’s not spring yet! It’s technically officially starting on sunday anyways, so less than a week, for realz, let’s be trend-setters! :P

On a totally unrelated note.. I was checking out the post about the nail art, and it just struck me.. Doesn’t the model that has the Pointy Blue “Stained Glass” nails at Jen Kao look like Kirt from Glee? Maybe I’m just crazy.. lol

Friday, March 18/2011 at 3:54 pm

OMG she does! (Is she actually a she? Not that there’s anything wrong with that of course…) Those gold eyebrows really creep me out.

Ashley
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 9:38 pm

Lovin’ the lipstick. Pink and orange. In fact I wore pink today in honor of the chinook we are having here out west. Also diggin’ the earth tones, cool 70′s vibe.

Quitely Ignoring: center parts, seriously way too unflattering on most of us with longer hair. Can lean kinda hutterite-ish? Am I right? I like my side part thank you very much

Friday, March 18/2011 at 3:56 pm

Ha! Yeah – centre parts are harder to wear. Although I think a nice compromise is the way Sienna Miller does it (and I attempt to copy) – bangs that are longish on the sides, and then parted in the middle. You get a similar look but much softer.

Kamila
Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 10:14 pm

I’m loving bright pink lipstick! The Nina Ricci version reminds me of Marcelle’s Paris Rose which I got a few days ago

skybluesky
Wednesday, March 23/2011 at 1:57 pm

Love the red lips, pink lips, center parts, and black eyeliner. I love pink lipstick–I usually prefer to have it be slightly sheer or have a sheen so it’s not over done and clashing with my skin tone. My mom recently went on a trip and she bought me a NARS lipstick in “Roman Holiday,” which is a light pink with an opaque finish…too light and blue-toned for me, but I mixed it with a coral lipstick (that was too…coral-y) and it is the perfect pink on me! That suggestion you have me a while ago really made a big difference!

Friday, April 1/2011 at 11:23 am

Pretty! So we are basically doing the same thing – I’m adding more pink to the corals so my pinkish skin can handle them… and you’re doing the reverse!

Nicky
Saturday, March 26/2011 at 1:22 pm

I think Im gonna skip on the nail art. But Im totally into that low bun!

Gimped
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 10:31 pm

I am super excited about the pink lip … but I am having such a hard time finding the right shade :(

My attempts to find Joe Fresh’s Matte Lipstick in Fuchsia have failed, so I’ve moved on to other things.

I’ve grabbed a salmon-y shade (Rimmel’s Nostalgia), a fuchsia shade (Nars Funny Face), and a bright pink (CoverGirl’s Lip Perfection in Temptress) … and none of them are screaming ME. Salmon is not me (pretty in the tube, weird on me), the fuchsia seems really screaming, and the bright pink is a little too bright I think.

Now keep in mind that I’m used to downplaying the lip with gloss cuz I like to focus on my eyes, so it could just take some adjusting. I try to stick to corals and berrys when choosing a gloss, but that’s not really on-trend for spring …

How do I find the right shade of pink for me?? Can provide pics if necessary. Help!!!!!!

Friday, April 1/2011 at 11:30 am

Oh noes! Joe Fresh fail. They have such great stuff but really need to get it together in the actual stores… I keep hearing about how they’re always sold out of stuff and the displays are a mess. Ugh.

Remind me – is your skin more on the golden side?

I find it’s actually harder to get a medium pink that I like vs the bright colours like fuchsia… sometimes the salmons and candy pinks can look a bit chalky and weird.

What about trying a stain? I think you’d like the ones from Tarte because they come in lighter shades too, and they’re not drying (although you could wear a gloss or balm on top). http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-item-lipsurgence-natural-lip-tint
Maybe you could go to Sephora and try out the rose or light pink and see how you like it. I have the bright pink and it’s pretty intense so probably not for you.

Gimped
Saturday, April 2/2011 at 11:18 am

Hey Michelle

Joe Fresh is AWESOME … when you can find stuff :) I’ve been very happy with their lip and nail prodz (my recent mani with their Berry polish lasted nearly a week … and I use a computer all day!!), but I haven’t had the chance to try any lippies cuz they’re sold out or have limited selection.

Golden? I don’t think so, but I could be wrong. People tell me I have undertones of pink. Here’s a pic of me from around Xmas: http://twitpic.com/35yqlu … and yes, I really am THAT pale :)

Thursday, April 7/2011 at 7:24 pm

You look great in that pic! Ok, so if you have pinkish skin then I’m familiar with that (that’s my undertone too :-) )

You got the Joe Fresh fuchsia right? How are you liking it?

I’m wondering if you’re not liking the bright lip because of your glasses. Do you always wear them? I find that I never like a bright lip with mine (when I wear them – I usually wear contacts) because it sort of fights with the darkness of my frames.

Gimped
Friday, April 8/2011 at 9:19 am

*blush* I can’t take all the credit. That was after my Estee Lauder makeover :) And might I say it was probably the best one I’ve ever had at a makeup counter. The woman really knew what worked for my skin. Woot woot for EL at The Bay Eaton Centre!!

The Joe Fresh lippie is not too bad. Much less pigmented than the other fuchsias I’ve tried in my desperate attempt to find an alternative, which is good. I think it could grow on me, but I’ve only worn it once. I’ve had one of those “I can’t be bothered with my face” weeks. I’m also struggling with what wear it with in my wardrobe. Thanks for your suggestions on that BTW. I’ll try pairing it with one of my new spring outfits. Maybe that’ll change everything.

Unfortch I do wear my glasses all the time. Not a contact lover. Plus with my prescription they’d cost a small fortune.

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 12:00 pm

Yes and maybe as we ease into summer and you either get a bit of a tan or self-tan it might be easier to wear… sometimes the contrast against pale winter skin can be a bit hard to pull off.