Big Red Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not-so-natural) redheads

Amy Adams redhead makeup Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

I’ve been obsessed with Amy Adams lately, and my Christina Hendricks fixation goes way back. But now, may I share the latest bit of breaking news? It’s just been announced that Amy will play Lois Lane in the upcoming Superman remake. I like this casting a lot better than, say, Teri Hatcher… but I’m not gonna lie, that opinion is 100 percent based on her hair colour, which I am once again slowly inching toward. (Although I’ll probably stop at the strawberry, since I don’t really have the colouring to properly fake it.)

But if YOU can pull off faux red—or if you’re lucky enough to be a natural—then this post is for you! While I’m obviously totally jealous of your hair colour, there are definitely some makeup challenges that come along with it.

Here’s the q from reader Jessica:

“I’m a blond gone red, and would love some makeup tips. I tend to stay pretty basic—fill in my brows a bit, brown liner, mascara because I love my long lashes, sometimes some lipstick, sometimes liquid liner if it’s a special occasion. But I’d love to try some different party looks, and love Michelle Williams’ no-makeup looks where the eyes are defined in a way but not obviously, with glowy skin. But I’m concerned with my red hair that I can’t pull that off.”

Actually? I think you redheads can pull off a wider variety of looks/colours than you think.

Christina Hendricks red lip Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

This touches on the philosophy that Giorgio Armani’s Reza Zaimeche shared with us in this vid, about how he thinks there are no colour rules anymore for makeup. (Your makeup base? Yes. But not the rest.) More recently, celebrity colourist Marie Robinson told me that the same thing applies to hair: you can choose any colour, but it’s about finding the tone within that range that works for your particular skin tone.

So that’s my first point—be brave! And just try experimenting with colours that you find yourself drawn to.

But of course, I always have a few additional pointers… with helpful visual examples not just from Amy and Christina, but also Isla Fisher, Bryce Dallas Howard and (the formerly red) Emma Stone!

How to prep your skin for makeup if you’re a redhead

Isla Fisher Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DO: Make sure you’ve selected the right foundation colour and have concealed any areas of discolouration, and especially redness (it will fight with your hair).

DON’T: Try to hide your freckles, if you have them. Look for a sheer foundation and match it (and your concealer) to your actual skin tone, NOT the darker freckle tone. Otherwise you’ll look silly and kind of like a reverse Eagle. See how Bryce’s freckles are showing through, below?

Bryce Dallas Howard Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DO: Wear a peachy blush. This is especially important if you have brown eyes and your skin is more on the warm side (like Isla’s), but even blue-eyed redheads with more porcelain or cool-toned skin (like Christina, Amy and Emma) wear the peaches well. Pink is much trickier—as you can see above, it’s giving Bryce a very ruddy-looking complexion and sort of sits on top of her skin instead of blending in. #BlushFail

DON’T: Wear bronzer. Or at least go easy on it. Sweeping generalization here, but to me, it’s too close in colour to your hair, and I think what’s prettiest about redheads is emphasizing that gorgeous contrast between the hair and the skin.

How to play up your eyes if you’re a redhead

Emma Stone red hair navy eyeliner Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DO: Have fun with colour. As demonstrated by both Emma and Isla, navy eyeliner looks a-MAZ-ing when used to line the lower inner rims. (In fact, I’m not even a redhead and I replicate this look quite often.) But soft browns, taupes, bronzes and even muted greens and purples would also be pretty, in either shadows or liners.

DON’T: Wear black. I just think it’s too harsh for most redheads’ colouring. See what I mean?

Christina Hendricks SAG Awards Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DO: Wear black mascara. Lots of peeps say that redheads (and blondes, for that matter) should stick with browns, but I’m a firm believer that everyone’s lashes look better in black.

DON’T: Forget to fill in, or even tint, your eyebrows. Despite what we may have seen on the runways in seasons past, you don’t want them to disappear from your face. Nor do you want them to clash with your colour, if you’re a faux redhead. Most salons will tint your brows free of charge if you ask while you’re getting your colour done. Don’t let them do a perfect match, but just enough to cut the ashiness and harmonize with the hair on your head. (Proceed with caution if you tint your own eyebrows at home… it’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye.)

Amy Adams Oscars 2010 Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DO: Be careful with cool-toned shadows, like Amy is wearing above. (And she’s also proving my point about black eyeliner.) Paired with the cool-pink of the lipstick, it’s just not harmonizing with her skin tone.

My advice: If you go cool on the eyes, do warmer cheeks and lips to counteract it. Here’s another shot of Christina to show you what I mean.

Christina Hendricks grey eyeshadow Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

She’s got grey eyeshadow as well, but does it with a warmer lip.

How to play up your lips if you’re a redhead

Amy Adams makeup Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DO: Make a soft peach or pink lip gloss your go-to. As per the blush, peaches are generally easier—but see how great Amy looks, above, with the barest pop of sheer pink? The lips are still very soft, and the rest of her makeup is warm, so it works. (Also notice the black mascara!)

Emma Stone red lips Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DON’T: Be afraid of red. A bright, bold, highly-pigmented red is easiest to pull off if you’re working with an darker auburn hair colour like Emma’s here. When your hair is closer to the lipstick colour, it’s trickier… but if you can borrow some of Christina’s beauty confidence, it definitely CAN work…

Christina Hendricks Golden Globes 20101 Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DON’T: Wear full-blown orange. That’s probably the only colour that I suggest you banish from your makeup bag, simply because it’s too close in tone to your hair colour. Instead, go for warm reds with a hint of gold, like Amy is wearing here:

Amy Adams red lips Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

DO: Steer yourself toward berry-pink shades instead of the fuchsias and hot pinks. Like we saw above on Amy, above, such cool colours are harder for redheads to pull off. Going with something in the same pink family, but with a hint more red in it, will improve things times a billion. Check out this lip on Christina and you’ll see what I mean:

Christina Hendricks pink lips Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

And here is one final example on my girl Amy.

Amy Adams berry lipstick Channeling Amy Adams or Christina Hendricks? Makeup tips for natural (and not so natural) redheads

Whew! That was a lot of makeup. And, er, probably enough photographic documentation of Amy and Christina to last the next six months. I’ll take a breather from my obsessions for the next little while—promise!

Have your say

Are you currently—or have you ever been—a real or faux redhead?
What is/was your go-to redhead makeup look?
Who’s your favourite red-haired celeb?

Tracy@Beauty Reflections
Monday, March 28/2011 at 10:34 pm

My daughter has bright orange/red hair and looks fantastic in MAC Lady Danger! Great tips!

Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 6:37 pm

That’s an amazing colour!

Catherine
Thursday, April 17/2014 at 9:41 pm

I’m a 22 year old, natural redhead with strawberry blond hair and blue eyes. I’ve almost always worn black mascara (just one coat) and black eyeliner. I have a few lipsticks but I always shy away from them. I prefer lip balms (I have enough for an army!) Most of the time though, I go out without any makeup. Which isn’t so bad. :)

Catherine
Thursday, April 17/2014 at 9:46 pm

Oh and my eyebrows are a very pale blond color. I’ve never tried filling them in. Any tips as to which color I should try, and how to do so? Thanks!

Ashley
Wednesday, March 30/2011 at 1:54 am

i have what i would call light auburn hair which i highlight a gold blond but these things still seem to matter. I mean even if you switch up your hair color, your natural coloring still stays the same. peach blush, scarlet/coral lips, gold and copper shadows, brown liners, etc. I am glad someone agrees with me about the still wearing black mascara thing though. orange seems ok because i am now blond though

Friday, April 1/2011 at 10:20 am

Yes I think the warm tones are a safe bet for most redheads!

Kelly
Tuesday, May 31/2011 at 3:04 pm

Amazingly helpful post! My concern is that I have golden-red hair, medium complexion, and hazel (brown-green) eyes. Whenever I wear browns on my eyes (like a standard chocolatey liner) it looks like a big brown mess. I’ve been told to try plum liner, but it fails to make my eyes pop. Any idea what brown/neutrals will look better?

lee
Saturday, June 11/2011 at 10:34 pm

kelly,you have to try hunter green liner,
not only will it bring out the green in your eyes,
which is always good for redheads(faux or not;)
but it will def make eyes POP!

Friday, July 29/2011 at 4:49 pm

Hey Kelly – not sure if you saw this post but I don’t think there are set rules anymore: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/04/26/newsflash-there-are-no-more-colour-rules-when-it-comes-to-makeup-and-maybe-even-hair-too/
If you find brown isn’t doing it for you, maybe go with a cool colour like navy or grey. The contrast with your warm hair should look great! I am a huge fan of navy liner.

Kayla
Tuesday, September 13/2011 at 3:29 pm

AHHHHH I LOVE THIS POST. I’ve been perusing your blog for a long time now, and somehow just stumbled upon this one.

I’m a natural ginge myself, with my hair color caught between strawberry blond-esque and auburn depending upon the time of year. Growing up, I wasn’t allowed to color my hair and struggled to find makeup that would be comparable to that of my brunette and blond friends. Quite frankly, I still struggle. At 24, I’m just now getting comfortable with playing in different color palettes; for YEARS I stuck with my standard gold/neutral eye shadow and brown mascara…that’s it. I’m just now experimenting with color, but am struggling with eyeliner. I would LOVE to make my blue eyes pop, but am lacking the basic know-how for eyeliner. If someone could help a sista out, I’d greatly appreciate it!!

Emily
Friday, November 11/2011 at 9:03 pm

This post is amazing. I dyed my hair auburn back in January and have loved it up until this last week when it just seems nothing looks right. My skin is really “cool” (super pale, pink undertones, bright blue eyes) but now that my hair is more “warm” (a dark auburn), I’m finding it’s hard to have the right combination of warm and cool colors. I used to wear all cool colors, but now they often clash with my hair, and I’m having the same trouble with makeup! These pictures and tips have helped clarify things A TON (and have decided to make me stay a redhead!) but any other advice for my particular combination would be really appreciated!!

haylee
Tuesday, January 3/2012 at 3:09 pm

I am a natural redhead, more so on the darker side, and i usually use black eyeliner on my bottom lashes (only place I use eyeliner) and I use gold/copper eyeshadow (all over) with a shimmery gray in the crease. I have green/hazel eyes and occasionally use an emerald green instead of the gold/copper.

niki
Monday, February 20/2012 at 11:02 pm

i am a natural redhead. It’s kind of in the middle with blond natural blod streaks and i have a lot of freckles from being in the sun from when i was so little. I’ve been reading a lot about how to make my make-up look better. Honestly IM TIRED OF BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A few months ago i tried a light shiny green. I’m almost 15 and the green looks great. A lot of people have commented on it saying it is pretty. I have a problem with being insecure about my looks so its a real confidence booster. I do agree with some of the tips but i honestly do no think red heads should try bright red. It just clashes with your hair. I do have problems with finding a good look to go with my naturally curly hair though. Any tips ?

Orla
Thursday, March 8/2012 at 1:36 pm

Great tips and comments I’ m irish and have natural bright red hair with blue eyes and I was looking for tips on make-up for my eyes especially and I love the ideas as I’m sick of using the same black mascara, foundation and light pink lips so thanks for all the tips! :)

Stephanie
Saturday, March 17/2012 at 10:29 am

Thank for a great blog feature :-D I’m a redhead – with blue/green eyes – and these are my top everyday makeup choices (I do get a lot of compliments on my makeup, so I hope these are useful).
EYES: Benefit Eyeshadow in ‘Buckle Bunny’ or Bobby Brown in ‘Rose Gold’ or No.17 Solo Eyeshadow in ‘Statuesque’ or Rimmel mono eyeshadow in ‘Tribute’ (basically these are all a bronzy-rosey-gold). My cult mascara is Diorshow (original) in Black and Brown – depending how intense I want to go. I also use Bourjois liquid liner in Black or Brown.
LIPS: Pink lipstick – Estee Lauder Signature Lipstick in ‘Chelsea Rose’ (for a natural lip). Orange lipstick (actually the right orange can look amazing!) – I go for Estee Lauder Lipgloss in ‘Orange Poppy’. Red lipstick – love, love, love Dior Serum Lipstick no.855 Carmine Crystal. Finally, hot pink!!!! I would never have considered it, but a was persuaded by a girl at a beauty counter that it would look amazing – the one I went for was a lip lacquer – Lancolme – La Laque Fever in ‘Lancolme Rose’.
CHEEKS: Benefit cheek powder in ‘Coralista’ – gorgeous! I also like a subtle pink – you cannot beat MAC’s Well Dressed!
FOUNDATION: I like good coverage – and if I want a bit less I just make sure I have a good moisturisers and use less foundation. My favourite is Estee Lauder Double Wear – I use ‘Pale Almond’ – it warms my skin up without making me look orange or too pale. But of course you need to find your own match :0)
EYEBROWS – MAC’s eyebrown pencil in ‘Lingering’ – fab!
Steph x

rebekah
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 7:39 am

I am a natural redhead from south Africa which is quite unusual :-) I have almost black brown eyes and very pale skin, and my hair is a very light red, i hate to say it is closer to a light orange color… I’m a true strawberry blonde :-) my usual makeup consists of a light foundation and powder with purplish/pink lipgloss. I love playing around with eyeshadow and my normal color is a milk chocolate base with a barley gold topcoat. I usually wear brown eyeliner behind my bottom lashes and brown mascara top and bottom. Ive been thinking about using blush but as I’m so pale I don’t know if it’s a good idea… any suggestions?

Emily
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 8:17 am

To Rebekah- I too am really pale, and for blush I use Benefit Dandelion. It’s perfect! It goes on really light, but if I want more color I can put on more layers until it’s more color. And it smells really good! :) Hope that helps.

Aro988
Sunday, March 25/2012 at 8:17 pm

im a natural redhead and i love using metallic on my eyes. gold eyeshadow and smokey liner. I use a dark brownish-black mascara and keep my cheeks and lips natural

Anita
Saturday, April 28/2012 at 7:01 pm

I have natural red tones in my hair but have recently gone for a bright copper, inspired by Christina!

Never tried navy eyeliner, and haven’t worn green eyeliner since having this haircolour…definitely in need of a new look as brown/plum shadow or black liquid eyeliner just isn’t cutting it anymore!

Must say though, I have a gorgeous coral eyeshadow that works amazingly well considering it’s a pink/peach tone. Really makes blue eyes pop against the copper colour.

Lina
Wednesday, May 2/2012 at 11:12 pm

I was born strawberry blond that turned into a beautiful copper color as I got older. I am fair skinned with green eyes. I love color but have found the best look to complement my hair and skin is the following:
I use Nivea Visage Tinted Moisturizing Day Cream in fair to medium, it gives me a healthy natural look without the heaviness of foundation. I normally do not wear blush but if I am going out I have found that a light peach blush works well. I usually line my eyes very lightly with black and follow up with a dark teal. I use a color called green velvet by Medusa on my lid which I also put lightly along my lash line. In the crease I go with a dark copper and bring it out to the edge of the liner and slightly under my bottom lashes. The top I have a very light green shadow by Sephora. People at Sephora thought it would not look good but after it was on they had to agree it looked amazing and made my green eyes really stand out. For variety I will use light yellow shadow on the top lid with a plum on the lid and a gray in the crease with plum liner…it sounds like a strange combination but I get a lot of compliments on it. The key is to make sure you blend the colors so you can not tell where one stops and another starts.
My lips I usually go with a light lip gloss for shine. I have been known to use a candy apple color which looks good with my hair color. My mascara: I use one from Avon 24K gold-it is a gold-black mascara with just a hint of gold in it so it helps to set off shimmering eye shadows nicely.
The colors are vibrant and bring out the natural beauty perfectly.

Steph*
Monday, May 7/2012 at 12:28 pm

I am a natural red head. Bright auburn hair! I am definetly a different kind of red head! I have almost a medium skintone. Its almost a yellow color but my face is very red. I really struggle with foundation. I have never been able to find a foundation that matches my skintone. If it matches my yellow skintone it seems like the red comes through under my foundation and looks blotchy. . Or if I find a foundation that helps to blend and help to the red in my face to go away it does no look natural against my neck and chest!! Can anyone give me any helpful tips??

Intotheredblog
Saturday, June 2/2012 at 3:28 am

I really love this post, it’s a great reference guide for redheads. And finally something that appreciates that some of us are cool toned. Love it xx

Bonnie
Sunday, June 3/2012 at 9:13 am

What is the name of that pink lipstick that Christina is wearing in that photo. I love it and have to have it!!!

Bonnie
Sunday, June 3/2012 at 9:21 am

It’s Bonnie again, forgot to mention I am a natural redhead too, coppery blonde and like to go a semi- permanent shade darker sometimes as that way I do not get roots and spend less time and money on maintaining the color, although red stills fades faster than other shades. Always get lots of compliment on my hair colour, and I love wearing gold/pink eyeshadows
and Posie Glow By Benefit on my cheeks. Haven’t found quite the right foundation yet, but keep trying and I love the right shade of pink on my lips and that is why I know that colour Christina is wearing would be perfect for me.

kayleigh
Tuesday, June 19/2012 at 11:03 am

what great tips! im a natural redhead with grey eyes. i use bobbi brown skin foundation in alabaster, for powder ive found estee lauder double wear in shell 11 goes well with my skin tone. for cheeks either lancome rose or NARS orgasm. lips i love bobbi brown hot pink for daytime or ruby red for night. recently i purchased bobbi brown pot rouge for lips and cheeks which is a good all rounder. eyes i use lancome rose de bonheur palette and YSL faux lash mascara. lastly erase paste in fair by benefit is fab for covering the blue under my eye (and any spots!) hope this helps any fellow redheads out there!xx

desirae
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 12:17 pm

Im a natural red head and i tend to go with browns on my lids and then a little blue eyeliner on bottom but black on top and then lots of mascara because of my short eyelashes my hair is more blonde form of red

Marissa
Sunday, September 2/2012 at 7:35 pm

I am a natural strawberry-blonde, but experiment with many colors as far as hair and make-up. I found a very fun eye shadow trick that looks great with a bright red hair color. You use an orange-ish metallic colored base on your lids, add a thin line of a teal color to the lash line (twice as thick as a liquid liner line so that you can just see a hint of it after you put on your liner. Then I either use a liquid liner or my favorite, gel liner. Top it off with the BLACK mascara, like you said above, still looks great with any color hair, on the top and the bottom of the eye. :) I’ll include a couple of links of me with bright red hair, sorry for the terrible lighting.

Angie
Saturday, November 17/2012 at 6:43 pm

Thank you so much for this info, I’m an auburn, was born strawberry blonde, I have green hazel eyes & pale skin, I wear glasses which can be a real problem for applying make up as I find it hard to see when I take them off :) I use Henna on my hair to bring out the red more as I find my light auburn hair colour just a little boring lol.. but I have found it hard my whole life to choose good make up so haven’t bothered with it much but at nearly 30 years old I’m finding I want to add some pretty to my face.. up till now I’ve used a light coloured mineral powder as its quick and easy & goes on nicely, if going out somewhere special I add some gold leaf powder to my eye lids (my brother bought this back from india for me & I love it) I go very sparingly on the eye liner as I can’t see well enough to get it neat, then just add some basic black mascara to my top eye lashes, I don’t add any colour to my cheeks as I have a natural pink tone to them already that shows through my powder.. I have never successfully found a lipstick colour that really works for me so tend towards adding some clear lip gloss to bring out my natural lip colour. lately I’ve tried playing with adding more lip colour but it just scares me & I end up blotting most of it off to just a stain… any suggestions for a nice fun lipstick would be appreciated..

Tere
Friday, June 14/2013 at 1:03 pm

Angie, I think you might like Clinique Chubby Sticks. They have two types, one typed called “intense,” which is more highly pigmented. I think if you like a neutral color Curviest Caramel would work for you; it’s pink but with a brown base. There are lots of both cool and warm shades. My favorites for a “barely there” look is Curvy Candy and Whoppin’ Watermelon. For a deeper berry shade I like the intense Broadest Berry. There are also several coral/pink shades. I think you’d like them.

Amanda
Thursday, December 6/2012 at 2:39 am

I just dyed my hair auburn. I am a natural blonde so it was quite a transformation. My inspiration was Emma Stone. I find her to be beautiful and talented.

I’m loving the color, but the maintenance is a bit much. Love the makeup!!

Ann
Saturday, January 5/2013 at 3:27 am

I have more of a light brown, slightly red color, but some may not consider it red. I also have very pale skin and I’ve found that for eyeshadow mauves, corals, and purples with more red than blue work best for my eyes. I try to stay away from black eyeliner and go more for a dark brown or dark purple and my eyes will still pop. As for lipstick, I like berry colors and if I do a red, I like it bright, nothing too dark.

Faye
Saturday, January 12/2013 at 7:14 pm

This has been really useful, thank you.

I am a natural red-head but have really struggled with make-up over the years as it seems the older I get, the darker auburn my hair becomes.

What I found interesting in the images posted here is the different colour shades of eyebrows. Mine are still quite fair (although I pencil them in using a ‘blonde’ eyebrow pencil), but now as my hair is more auburn than ‘ginger’, I am considering getting them tinted a dark brown (nearer black)! I wish I could post a picture here for your advice!

I really like the blonde on the end of Nicola Roberts hair as posted above- possibly my next venture after the eyebrows!

Thanks for a useful post- Faye

Tangie Smith
Friday, January 25/2013 at 8:32 pm

I’m a natural redhead. I always wear peach blush and sheer foundation. I don’t have many freckles on my face though. I did when I was younger but they have disappeared over the years. I hated them back then but now I miss them!

I always wear black mascara. I don’t usually wear eyeshadow or eyeliner. If I do, I stick to browns and neutrals, sometimes greens. For my lips, I always wear browns. I like peach too. And I love glossy lips, not matte.

Lately, I’ve been wanting to try a light pink lip gloss but I don’t know if I can pull it off. I hope I can. I need a new look. I love nude lips too but I need some color since I’m so pale.

My favorite redheads are Julianne Moore and Jessica Chastain. And the model Cintia Dicker is breathtaking. I love Emma Stone with red hair too. It really works for her!

Marie
Monday, January 28/2013 at 7:28 am

Fantastic article; wish I came across this article 30 years ago! Through much trial and error, learned (the hard way) what make up tips and shades work best with my coppery red hair and dark brown eyes. Your suggestions were spot on!

Visitor
Saturday, March 16/2013 at 9:09 am

To my opinion cool colours would actually suit to Christina H. but that red hair doesn’t. Her overall coloring is not warm by nature. If you cover her hair in the picture with a pink lipstick you can notice it. In terms of color analysis she is probably a Summer type.

Abigail
Sunday, March 17/2013 at 8:20 pm

Thank you! I just -literally- just dyed my hair an auburn shade, I’ve been searching for tips on makeup and this one helped the most, thanks again

Alison
Wednesday, April 3/2013 at 12:31 pm

I’m a natural redhead and wear black liner all the time and am told I am one of the few redheads who can pull it off. So I wouldn’t say it’s a don’t, I would just say know how to use it and if you can use it or if you’ll look better in a softer color.

Janelle
Thursday, May 16/2013 at 5:16 am

I’m blonde and dye my hair red with henna. The colour is suuuuper bright, but I’m still often asked if its natural. I don’t wear much makeup during the day (filled in brows always, maybe mascara and coverup), but to go out I’ve rocked the bright red lips (Chanel Coco Rouge #25), hot pink (CoverGirl in Fairytale), and otherwise subtle cat eye liquid liner or a mauve metal smokey eye. I’ve found that the stronger the lip colour the better, as long as the colour doesn’t clash. I do have maroon tones in my hair though, so they can carry the colour.
But DO try going bright! The beauty in being a redhead is lighting up the room. Colours look amazing on us, own it!

Alison Wells
Wednesday, July 17/2013 at 8:28 pm

I am strawberry blonde with blue eyes and very pale skin. I have been a redhead my whole life and I’m against dying. Also in the sun my hair streaks: red,orange and yellow-ish blonde. My go to make-up is colors that are either brown or a very very light pink so you can’t it’s there. I’ve tried red lipstick before but because my hair isn’t bright it didn’t look to good. So I’m a big go natural or go home kind-of girl. I just go into black mascara but I look sad when I wear it because I have very dark circles under my eyes most of the time and when I wear black it makes it darker. So I stay with my browns most of the time. But your post was very interesting and it was just what I was looking for so thank-you I hope to try some of these ideas out if I haven’t already :)

Alison Wells
Wednesday, July 17/2013 at 8:31 pm

I just saw a bunch of spelling errors so here is the fixed version: I am strawberry blonde with blue eyes and very pale skin. I have been a redhead my whole life and I’m against dying. Also in the sun my hair streaks: red,orange and yellow-ish blonde. My go to make-up is colors that are either brown or a very very light pink so you can’t tell it’s there. I’ve tried red lipstick before but because my hair isn’t bright it didn’t look to good. So I’m a big go natural or go home kind-of girl. I just got into black mascara but I look sad when I wear it because I have very dark circles under my eyes most of the time and when I wear black it makes them darker. So I stay with my browns most of the time. But your post was very interesting and it was just what I was looking for so thank-you I hope to try some of these ideas out if I haven’t already :)

Lissie
Sunday, July 21/2013 at 9:55 am

Thanks!! I am a natural redhead… Also I have green eyes and am EXTREMELY pale. The color tips are great! Especially about the black mascara. Everyone always tells me brown but always good to have new info! My problem is always that my eyes either look way too dark, or like I forgot to put makeup on that day… Any suggestions on a good in-between?

Heathyr
Thursday, August 1/2013 at 2:30 am

Hello Michelle,

Forgive me, I’m a bit confused I think. I have read many articles on beauty tips for redheads. Some say only use warm or neutral colors because red hair is warm in tone, others say cool or warm depending on skin tone and eye color. You seem to be advocating the use of both (except base of course). I am very interested in your suggestions. I am a natural redhead of medium copper,I think. I have green eyes that can appear quite bright. My skin is definitely pale and cool toned with a lot of red in my cheeks. Help! I often wear raisins and plums on my eyes, a bright sheer pink on my cheeks and light lilac to a medium bright purple on my lips. I think I really need help in toning down my red cheeks and getting a softer glow. I get compliments all the time on my coloring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ang
Sunday, September 8/2013 at 8:27 pm

When “Enchanted” came out, everyone told me I looked just like this girl in the movie. Since then, Amy Adams has been my style idol. ;)

Alex
Sunday, December 15/2013 at 11:37 pm

Hi,
I stumbled across your blog while looking for some new makeup tips for red heads. I am a natural redhead. I think my hair is considered to be a darker copper color. I WEAR BRONZER! lol, and it looks great. I also use self tanner everyday on my face. It can be pulled off if done right, no one even knows that i am wearing it. It just adds a bit of color to darken up my pale skin, which is my trick for makeup colors. I wear all colors, but the shade must MATCH your skin tone, like you said. Also, black mascara is definantley the way to go, I was always terrified to wear it, but I pair it with a black/brown liquid liner from wet and wild, and it looks fine. I like to wear a lot of purples, purple looks AWESOME on redheads; greens, gold, brown, my staple is a champagne color that i often mix with other colors, like pink to get a sort of peachy color. It tones down the pinky shade, and makes it nicer with the red hair IMO anyway. I also wear my favorite lipstick from NYC color (the cheap brand whatever the name is) called plum tart, this is by far the best lipcolor i have ever found for me, and guess what. They stopped making it!! Unbelievable. Apparently it wasnt a good match for the rest of the population, I cant seem to find any other color that fits. It was a nice brown/reddish pink color. Not too brown, not to pinky red
best color ever for redheads, i think.

Sophie
Saturday, January 4/2014 at 11:16 pm

I just recently dyed my hair L’oreal Hicolor in Sizzling Copper (http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-dye/SBS-500268,default,pd.html ) , from medium brown hair. My eye brows are light brown, but now it looks weird with my hair tone. I don’t know what to use for my eyebrows, I didn’t expect my hair to be so light. I just want something to make then look natural, so when I fill them in they wont look so different from my hair. Please help! I don’t wanna look like a fool haha :)

Jen
Wednesday, March 19/2014 at 12:34 am

For Sophie – I use two products to tint my brows each day. I dye my hair copper (feria 74) and redheads assume I am also a natural redhead all the time, so it works! I use Colormark touchback in light auburn, the one with a sponge tip. And I use a revlon brow mousse – or any spoolie brush might do. I rub the spoolie on the Colormark to pick up red and then use the spoolie to tame my brows. Probably using the brown brow mousse dilutes the red in a good way. Careful, the dark auburn is really dark, not for coppery hair.

Jen
Wednesday, March 19/2014 at 12:35 am

I meant: there is a light and dark auburn shade and you only want the light. Sally beauty doesn’t have light anymore but Amazon sellers do.

Vanessa Scali
Saturday, April 5/2014 at 2:38 pm

Just stumbled upon this article and was pleased to see I was responsible for six of the makeup images you choose to feature! V :)

Saturday, April 5/2014 at 3:38 pm

Vanessa I am such a fan of yours! I love the makeup you do on Christina Hendricks – just wrote about it the other day actually: http://beautyeditor.ca/2014/04/03/mad-men-season-7-premiere/ Thanks so much for stopping by! :)