Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full-blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

Olivia Munn hair bob

As much as I try to adhere to my Life Cut mantra, it’s tough to be in the beauty biz without feeling occasional longings for the trends you let pass by. One of those was the “lob”—a.k.a. long bob—that was big news around 2007, 2008, and continues to trickle down through the celebrity ranks (most recently, Jennifer Aniston).

How refreshing it was to see formerly scraggly, too-long, extension-ridden locks given a modern, crisp, healthy-looking chop! Not that I embraced the cut myself—hair above my collarbones makes me look 12, and not in a good way—but damn, it looked fresh on the red carpet.

And now there is a 2.0 version. Introducing the bob—and the celebs who wear it best…

Olivia Munn has been going shorter and shorter and I am liking it better and better:

Olivia Munn bob Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

Also top marks to her fuchsia lippie. That part’s important, actually, because this length doesn’t do plain well. (Nothing against librarians or accountants or TV anchorwoman, but you do start to veer into that stereotype if you don’t make a little effort with your makeup.)

Here’s a recent Keira Knightley pic—see what I mean about that?

Keira Knightley bob Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

Where is a Chanel makeup artist when you need one, huh? (Although I can see she’s trying to do that tear-duct eyeliner dippy thing I told you about during Milan F/W ’11. Needs a touch-up.)

Anyway, let’s focus! With a bit more hair serum to calm down the frizzies, and attention to detail on the makeup, doesn’t she look incredible?

Keira Knightley Never Let Me Go Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

Keira is quite the fearless hair experimenter—maybe even in the ranks of all-time great Mandy Moore, although she doesn’t really play with her colour. Like Olivia, she’s done a tousled bob, which is how I think it works best.

Speaking of which, that’s exactly how Scarlett Johansson opted to style hers at the Oscars:

Scarlett Johansson 2011 Oscars Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

As I said at the time, I’m not really over the moon about the casualness of it for such a high-falutin’ event—but I DO think it’s a fab look for just about any other occasion. It’s a little grittier, a little messier than Olivia’s and Keira’s bobs, I think because of the shattered ends.

So. What does this all mean? It means that even if you’re not ready to chop your hair above your shoulders—and I don’t blame you—it might be time to at least consider freeing yourself of a few extra inches.

Call it a backlash after a decade of bad hair extensions. Right now, shoulder-length (or shorter) cuts are very much in style, and it looks like they will be for some time. (Which is good news if you are a late adopter like me, in both haircuts AND jeans.)

Need more evidence? These celebs haven’t gone as short, but they’ve definitely gone shortER.

Kirsten Dunst:

Kirsten Dunst Art of Elysium Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

Olivia Palermo:

Olivia Palermo Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

Rashida Jones (how gorgeous is she here, by the way?):

Rashida Jones haircut Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

And, of course, Jennifer Aniston:

Jennifer Aniston lob1 Move over, lob—Hollywood is embracing the full blown bob! Which means you really should think about cutting your hair

Are you a fan of the bob, or do you prefer the lob?
Would you ever wear your hair in any of these styles?
Which celeb do you think looks the best?

Makeup Morsels
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 6:31 pm

omgosh Olivia Palermo’s hair looks so very healthy! I think I prefer either the bob or long hair though, not the biggest fan of lobs. I love how Keira Knightley’s bob looks when it’s styled into loose waves~she’s gorgeous in general! gahh if only I had her cheekbones lol…

Friday, April 1/2011 at 12:11 pm

I know, Olivia has, like, crazy healthy hair!

Liz (Beauty Reductionista)
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 6:32 pm

These are difficult lengths to maintain. My lazy and broke ass cannot deal! Faves: Palermo and Knightley.

Friday, April 1/2011 at 12:13 pm

True! Needs frequent trims plus shorter hair (both straight and curly) can do weird things, shape wise, when there is less length to weigh it down. You have to be prepared to use styling prodz and tools.

Nicky
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 6:37 pm

My hair is 4 inches below my shoulders and I thought last week about getting a haircut. You just convinced me! Wont go for the bob since my face is roundish and it tends to make me look *fat* so I think I’ll go for the lob! What do you think of dégradé? Sorry, dont know the english word for that… layered maybe?

Friday, April 1/2011 at 12:15 pm

Hmm I don’t know that term – if it means layered then no, I’m not a huge fan (at least for people with fine/straight hair): http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/08/11/got-fine-straight-long-hair-like-naomi-watts-dont-listen-to-silly-hairdressers-who-want-to-layer-it/

I really like Olivia’s “lob” because the ends are really sharp, pretty much all one length with some slightly shorter pieces in the front.

Alana
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 7:28 pm

Nicky just mentioned the first thing I think of when it comes to bobs – I feel they seem to work best on super-skinny girls with high cheekbones (ahem, Keira). Correct me if I’m wrong Michelle (you are the expert anyway!), but some face shapes should reconsider the bob, yeah? For example, Kirsten Dunst is skinny too, but I think her cut makes her look kinda heavier than usual – and she hasn’t even done the ‘full’ bob. (Also, this makes me wonder – are there any specific cuts that would make one’s face look thinner??)

Friday, April 1/2011 at 12:18 pm

Yes I think round faces need more length to thin out the face… lob is better than bob in this case!

I also like sideswept bangs for round faces – check out this pic of Kirsten Dunst. Looks better, no? http://www.bellasugar.com/Beautiful-Bangs-Your-Face-Shape-Part-I-Round-712102

Alana
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 7:30 pm

PS – Olivia Munn totally gets my vote. I have no idea who she is, but she is absolutely gorgeous!

Friday, April 1/2011 at 12:19 pm

Apparently she hooked up with Justin Timberlake while he was still with Jessica!

Julie
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 8:54 pm

Loving- got a few inches off my damaged long hair I’d been growing for my wedding into a lob. My hair has never looked or behaved better!

Chiara
Tuesday, March 29/2011 at 9:14 pm

My all time favourites are Olivia Palermo and Keira Knightley, but for some reason short hair it’s not “my thing” (believe me, I have tried).
I have discovered your blog about two weeks ago and I’m hooked!
I’m a nineteen year old girl/young woman from Argentina, my original hair colour is dark brown and I have thick black brows (like Camilla Belle, for example) and oval dark hazel eyes. My skin is really fair/pale (I have done some research, and I’m almost positive that I have a cool complexion) and I have a strong european heritage (mostly italian). Not the tipical “chica latina” as you may call us. The thing is I don’t know how to apply make up on my eyes; I used to wear brownish eyeshadows, but I ended looking like one of those vampires from The Twillight Saga (not cute or appealling at all). I need some celebrity inspiration right now and I can’t find it anywhere! Also I would like to know which colors should I wear, which shapes will make me look the best, etc. Could you help me? Thanks alot!

PS: I apologize if there is any grammar mistake!

Audrey
Wednesday, March 30/2011 at 1:51 am

I have similar coloring and I have found that there are a few eye makeup looks that always look great:
- Peachy gold shadow with a light brown shadow in the crease of your eyelid
- Grey smokey eyes
- Winged black liner

P.S. Your grammar and English are great! Good for you, I so wish I could learn another language well!

Chiara
Wednesday, March 30/2011 at 8:03 pm

Thank you Audrey! I’m a huge fan of black eyeliner and smokey eyes, so I’m definitely going to use your makeup tips! You should try to learn another language well, it’s a great way to meet people from other countries and cultures!
I came here looking for help specially because one of my best friends is throwing a party on Saturday and I want to look great! I haven’t decided wich makeup would look good with my outfit yet (I’m going to wear black lace shorts, pumps, a silk t-shirt and a black velvet jacket with silver jewlery), and I would love to know which celebrities have cool skin like me (apart from Michelle Trachtenberg) so I could copy their makeup tricks and get some new ideas!

Friday, April 1/2011 at 7:14 pm

Megan Fox? Again, she seems to do mostly liner + lashes. Although that reminds me, I loooove navy eyeliner underneath the lower lashline. Check out the pic of Emma Stone in this post: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/03/28/reader-question-channeling-amy-adams-or-christina-hendricks-makeup-tips-for-natural-and-not-so-natural-redheads/

Friday, April 1/2011 at 7:10 pm

Hi Chiara! Your English is great. I know what you mean about brown eyeshadow – I don’t usually like it on myself either. Do you have a photo anywhere? That might help… but in the meantime some thoughts:

- Pretty much everyone can do simple eyeliner either in soft black, grey, navy or brown – right alone the upper lashline with lots of mascara. Probably go for a pencil… liquid eyeliner can look great for the upper lashline but is a bit trickier to work with. Some inspiration here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/02/18/new-york-fw-11-winged-eyeliner-full-brows-and-copious-amounts-of-blush%E2%80%94these-are-a-few-of-my-favourite-things/ and here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/03/02/milan-fw-11-introducing-the-tear-duct-dip-plus-3-more-new-and-fully-sick-ways-to-wear-your-eyeliner/

- If you are feeling really brave try lining the inner rims – both upper and lower – with your eyeliner pencil. I’m wondering if the reason you’re having trouble with eyeshadow is because your brows are so strong. If you look up photos of Camilla Belle, she doesn’t really do a lot of eyeshadow – mainly it’s tightlining around her eyes with eyeliner and perhaps a tiny bit of contouring in the crease with a taupey shade. Example here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2009/11/25/get-the-look-camilla-belle-2012-premiere-los-angeles/

- If you do want to wear shadow with your pale skin I’d go for a lighter coloured one than the brown… what about a soft grey or silver? Maybe something like this but obviously not as dramatic in the application: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/03/09/paris-fw-11-chanel-says-the-colour-of-the-moment-is-gunmetal%E2%80%94in-both-eyeshadow-and-nail-polish%E2%80%94and-so-we-must-listen-we-must/ I would just apply it from the lashline up to the crease.

- I also swear by this Dior cream shadow in Undressed Beige, which is waterproof so doesn’t crease – http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P177722&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=1073 It has a bit of shimmer but is so neutral, it goes with everything.

I hope that helps a bit!

Virginia
Wednesday, March 30/2011 at 1:50 am

I’m also one of those people who do what’s in months later. I don’t think I’ll do this long bob yet since I just got my blunt fringe with long hair that took a long time to grow. So maybe when I’m done with the fringe I’ll do the bob..hopefully it’s still in.

Alyssa
Wednesday, March 30/2011 at 1:51 am

I’m sorry I actually must agree with you about Rashida. For as beautiful as she is that hair does not do her justice it looks very unkempt and scraggly. I love all the other examples though, and I did notice that they all have something else in common: they are one lenth. I think that really aids in the healthy appearance. Layers I kinda feel like are done?

Friday, April 1/2011 at 7:16 pm

Oh really? I love Rashida there! Okay, maybe she could use a bit of hair serum.

As for the cuts – YES – I am a life-long advocate of all-one-length cuts. Hate layers with a passion. Did you see this post? http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/08/11/got-fine-straight-long-hair-like-naomi-watts-dont-listen-to-silly-hairdressers-who-want-to-layer-it/

Also it’s true, blunt ends are more on trend right now… as predicted by Kevin Murphy here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/29/video-celebrity-stylist-kevin-murphy-tells-us-what-kind-of-hair-we-need-now/

Alyssa
Wednesday, March 30/2011 at 1:55 am

Oh and I second Nicky and Alana! I would do the bob in a heart beat if my face was thinner. :(

Sophia
Wednesday, March 30/2011 at 1:24 pm

I went Olivia Munn’s length in the fall (with bangs) and it’s since grown to Kirsten Dunst’s length and I’ve had it trimmed up once. It has got to be the easiest hairstyle I’ve ever had (one length, no layers, straight bangs) which is probably why I had something similar when I was a kid, haha.

It felt really freeing to cut off my long hair, but I do sometimes get bored. My hair is naturally very straight and won’t hold a curl, so I don’t have a lot of choice with texture. It’s only now long enough to put up in a low bun. I’m tempted to go back to the bob for the summer though, it’s so nice to have it off my neck.

Ana
Thursday, March 31/2011 at 1:57 am

Yikse that is the ugliest photo of Rashida I’ve ever seen and shes normally a pretty girl.

Olivia Palermo has the shinest hair and that haircut suits her so well. It still manages to look long even though it is a bob.

Friday, April 1/2011 at 7:17 pm

Ok I must be alone here on the Rashida love!

Kate
Thursday, March 31/2011 at 5:01 pm

Really pretty when styled…but I think my hair is too fine to pull this off.
I would look like Keira in the first picture – i.e. like Kurt Cobain.

Friday, April 1/2011 at 7:20 pm
Dani
Thursday, April 7/2011 at 9:39 am

I’ve been growing out a pixie cut for the last 5 months, this is definitely giving me some inspiration! I can’t wait until it’s Olivia Munn’s length :)