Brass Monkey Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

Mischa Barton brassy hair Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

I don’t know if my blonderexia is spreading or what, but over the past few weeks, I’ve received a number of reader pleas for help with blonde hair gone brassy.

And you know what? In the same way that the Hair Club guy is not only the president but also a client, I’m not only a brassy hair fixer-upper, but a sufferer too.

That’s right—not even 24 hours ago, the talented Alain Larivée, Canadian creative consultant for John Frieda, kindly informed me that I maybe kinda sorta had a wee tinge of brass developing in my colour. Yep, and I just had it done, too. But see, that’s the thing about brassiness. It operates in stealth mode, creeping up on you ever-so-slowly if you’re not careful, and sometimes it takes an expert to point out that yes, Houston, we have a problem. (Although you would think that somebody could’ve informed Mischa Barton, above, before hers got to this point, right?)

You and I don’t have to suffer the same brassy fate. When you’re a blonde, you’ve got to be vigilant, always vigilant, to protect your colour. So from one blonderexic to another, here’s how.

Brassy hair tip #1: Go forth and buy yourself some purple shampoo

When you colour your hair, you’ve got a little rainbow of colour molecules (red, yellow, blue) deposited into the hair cuticle. Because they’re the smallest, it’s the blue ones that go MIA first, leaving you with mostly red and yellow. And you know what those shades produce… orange! So purple shampoos and conditioners are freakin’ genius. Being the opposite of orange, their violet pigments shut that brassiness down, restoring your colour to its former glory.

Probably the least expensive option around is the Sheer Blonde Tone-Correcting line from John Frieda, which is what Alain used on my hair yesterday. There’s a shampoo:

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Colour Renew Tone Correcting Shampoo Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

And a conditioner:

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Colour Renew Tone Correcting Conditioner Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

Although they say you need to use ‘em three times to see results, I SWEAR that when I met up with a friend last night, she told me (unprompted) that my hair looked blonder. (Meaning better, of course.)

Other purple shampoo options include this one from Joico:

Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

This one from Matrix:

Matrix Total Results So Silver Shampoo Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

(Yes, it’s “supposed” to be for grey hair but it works just fine on blonde.)

And this one from AG:

AG Hair Sterling Silver Toning Shampoo Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

Brassy hair tip #2: Alternate your purple shampoo with regular colour-protective products

You only need to use the purple shampoo a few times a week. (You don’t want your colour to go too far the other way and turn purple, after all.) Alternate it with shampoos, conditioners and masques specifically for colour-treated hair but without the violet pigment. They’ll help nourish it and ensure your locks look soft, healthy, hydrated and shiny.

One of my favourite colour-protective collections is from Matrix. There’s a shampoo:

Matrix Biolage Color Care Shampoo Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

And this softening conditioner:

Matrix Biolage Color Care Conditioner Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

Kérastase’s colour line is the crème de la crème—pricey, but I have yet to meet a hairstylist who doesn’t sing its praises. The shampoo is super-creamy and nourishing:

Kerastase Reflection Bain Chroma Riche Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

And the conditioner is oh-so-rich and indulgent:

Kerastase Reflection Masque Chroma Riche Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

But there are tons of options out there—just look for the words “for colour-treated hair” on the label.

Brassy hair tip #3: Invest in a shower filter

Woman in shower Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

Another thing you can do to protect your $150-a-pop blondification investment is to make another investment: in a good shower filter. Besides the fact that the chlorine and iron deposits in our water are probably not the nicest stuff to imbibe, they can also make colour fade and look dull. And the iron, specifically, can add to the reddish, brassy tones.

It’s a good idea to use a clarifying shampoo to get that shiz outta there, and then install a filter like the one I’ve been using from Jonathan Product:

Jonathan Product Beauty Water Shower Purification System Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

It’s a two-step filter that takes out chlorine, synthetic chemicals and heavy metals, replacing them with healthy, pH-balanced potassium ions. Both skin and hair feel softer and hair colour lasts longer—hooray! It should last about six months or so.

T3 has also recently come out with their own version, which sounds even more amazing:

T3 Source Hand Held Shower Filter Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

The handheld filter has eight different spray settings and features a chemical filtration process that transforms chlorine into harmless elements too large to be absorbed into hair and skin. They say that after after 10 washes, hair shows a 64 percent reduction in frizz, a 28 percent increase in body, a 47 percent increase in “comb-ability” and a 28 percent increase in shine. Love these stats!

Brassy hair tip #4: Go back to the salon for a toner

woman hair salon rinse Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

Most of you who already colour or highlight your hair blonde will be familiar with toners—usually, colourists apply them all over as the final step in the process in order to tone down brassiness and sort of help all of the tones in your hair to harmonize together. They’re gentler (semi-permanent instead of permanent colour) and deposit pigment instead of lighten, so you don’t need to worry about damaging already-coloured hair.

Although they come in all kinds of shades, in this situation your hairdresser will be using one with a violet or blue base (same principle as the shampoo) to brighten and restore your colour. Expect to pay around $40+.

Brassy hair tip #5: Try an at-home brass banisher

You can also do the toner thing at home, thanks to this brass-eliminating product from our friends at L’Oréal Paris:

LOreal Paris Colorist Secrets Brass Banisher Brassy hair: You haz it. But here are 5 neat things that can help restore your formerly blondelicious locks

It’s ammonia-free and can be safely used in between colourings… but just to warn you, reviews are mixed (and that’s why I chickened out of trying it myself). You may want to check out Makeup Alley before you take the plunge, because some peeps are saying “I LOVED IT!” and others “HOLY CRAP THIS SUCKS!” It’s hard to say whether it was a user execution thing, or if the product might produce iffy results on certain hair colours… so I’ll leave it with you to decide.

Get the products

Have your say

Are you a fellow blonderexic?
How diligent are you about taking care of your colour?
Tried any of these anti-brassiness products or tips?

Mary
Tuesday, April 5/2011 at 6:09 pm

Does anyone find that brassiness also occurs in their brown hair? Especially if you’re like me and dye your hair at home? After awhile, reddish tones appear in my hair and I was wondering if anything can help with this issue?

Vivian
Tuesday, April 5/2011 at 9:29 pm

I know what you mean, I just bought the Aveda’s Clove conditioner… report back soon ;-)

Courtney
Saturday, January 7/2012 at 8:57 pm

I had dark brown hair and it was very very long! I used Clarion,, Born Blondel (2 of them Bc my hair was so long) and it turned out major Blondel, orange and barely died the rest od my hair!!! It looks horrible..I cant even go out the house its tthat bad…..what can I do??????

wendy thibodeaux
Monday, January 9/2012 at 11:53 am

Courtney,
You have two choices either find your self a professional colorist to fix the oops, or go get you a box color that is brown make sure it has a warm tone meaning a little red in it (if the color you choose does not have enough red it will turn green on your blonde) and cover up the opps yourself. I would not suggest you try to fix it with more bleaching products yourself. To get the best result you will need a professional and it will take at least a two step process to really fix the problem. I suggest any time you try to color you hair yourself to stay within 2 shades of your natural color this will save you from a major opps that is hard to recover from.

Cher
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 7:44 pm

I recently used the born blonde maxi just one bottle i have short hair my hair done the same thing i just threw two boxes on my hair of l’oreal 7 1/2 A Medium Ash Blonde…It toned it down A WHOLE LOT so i do not look like I have came out of a box of crayolas and can go out in public…Longer hair you may want to use 2 or 3 boxes…but it will darken it slightly not to much but it washes out alot of the orange and brassiness….The next step in this adventure…I have no IDEA lol but im going to sallys tomorrow at some point,,and speak with them and then stop by a salon.. I would prefer to do it at home but if i eventually have to pay i would rather..That is my advice to anyone with dark hair…Its worth paying the price..

JC
Friday, January 27/2012 at 5:11 pm

>>WARNING! Do not use Born Blonde Maxi if you have previously colored hair. <<

I used this (I have natural dark brown hair–level 2 with a previously dyed dark brown) and it resulted in a two toned color. My roots (which were virgin/no haircolor) turned a brassy yellow and my ends (starting at the point where the hair had been previously dyed) turned orange. I left this on for the maximum time limit of 90 minutes.

If you do end up with brassy hair, use a toner and purple shampoo to diminish it. If you have orange hair, you want to use a blue based toner (Wella Color Charm Toner Grey Lady–now called Pale Ash Blonde #T14) and if you have bright yellow hair, you would want to use a purple based toner (Wella Toner White Lady–now called Lightest Ash Blonde #T18). Remember toner only adds color into the hair cuticle–it does not lighten it.

Learned all of this after this happened to me, hopefully this info can save you from an expensive headache. So yes, if you have previously dyed hair, reconsider using this product or perhaps use a haircolor stripper which may help to strip the preexisting dye (Loreal Color Oops is AMAZING–though do a strand test first and rinse out for at least 20 min). Oh also don't make the mistake of dying your hair a black. I chose a black (Feria midnight? starry sky?) and it turned my hair a bright navy blue!!! Removed it with Color Oops–strand test is important) and my hair is a beautiful honey blonde (the blue in the hairdye neutralized the orange).

I am not a professional hair colorist (as you can tell), but wanted to let everyone know of my personal experience and my new-found knowledge. Best of luck! <3!

crystal
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 11:04 pm

this just happened to me too. same hair dye and also the same results. they lie on that box and they are full of crap! i’m so upset i look like a orange headed freak.

Sharon
Friday, June 14/2013 at 12:40 pm

I ended up with orange/brass color after semi-perm. color of “Warm Brown”….After 4 or 5 washes, it faded to this orange shade. I now use a “Temporary” color, called Fancy Full….I choose the brown shade and I wash my hair in evening, and put on the Fancy Full…allow to dry and rinse lightly with warm water in a.m. This tones down all the orange. At least I can go out in public….I am going to let it grow out and eventually get a short cut to get it off. Fancy Full temporary rinse is your answer. All the Best,

Angelina
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 9:49 am

I used the same exact thing and my roots are all this platinum blonde and the rest of my hair is basically orange. I was SO disappointed!

Shannon
Thursday, December 13/2012 at 7:06 pm

Any box bleach will do that, depending on hair — permanent dyes do not bleach the same as natural. What I do is I use a stripper like L’Oreal Oops first to pull as much as possible (mine has usually been in forever and is resistant to lifting, most won’t need the whole thing:). Then I bleach the already dyed section. Then I rinse it out, deep condition and dry it, and then bleach the whole thing — usually that gets it pretty even. I usually go for a slightly darker blond that can cover any mistakes as well.

As a caveat: I have INSANELY STRONG hair that can take a pounding. Do not do anything requiring a lot of chemicals unless you KNOW yours is strong enough.

May
Thursday, July 25/2013 at 6:19 pm

What you got to do is use the same product that it made you have the platinum roots and orange hair. The reason why it ended up like that is cause you probably choosed a dye that is for already natural blonde women who just want to lighten them, these dyes contain peroxides, titaniums, etc. It acts like a bleach but slowly (depending the type of box, Garnier has Light+ and Light++).
By using the same product you will re-bleach and dye the hair again. Only this time start without the roots. Leave the roots for the end when all the rest of your hair has already become lighter. This is cause your roots will get lighter much faster and easier. Once you done this you will still have slightly lighter roots and pretty sure some brassiness. Its common due to the bleach.
Then apply a platinum or ash-gold blonde (I recommend ash) made for brown hair (boxes always come with the depictions). This will tone down your roots and even the rest of your hair nicely.
You will have a very decent blonde now.
If you want to fix it with the time what you got to do (after letting your hair rest for a week) is use a toner in shampoo.

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 12:57 pm

Hey – good point! Brown hair can look brassy too, it’s just when any hair colour has too many red tones. These tips should all still help! Natural Instincts makes a Brass Free specifically for brunettes as well: http://www.clairol.ca/en-ca/naturalinstincts/BrassFree/index.jsp?gclid=CLWUndjAoagCFQ5-5QodzFrMIQ

Brenna
Friday, March 9/2012 at 4:35 pm

Can I go to Sally’s and buy a toner and put it in my hair myself? My hair is dyed with a few highlights but it is all fading and blending in with each other, so they are not a problem but the brown dyed hair I feel is getting brassy and I want my hair to be a few shades lighter

North
Sunday, April 1/2012 at 12:25 am

My favorite toner at Sally’s is a Clarol product called baby beige. It’s great for toning darker hair that is turning orange or brassy highlights

North
Sunday, April 1/2012 at 12:34 am

Correction it is made by L’Oreal not Clairol, but the name is Baby Beige and you get it at Sally’s. Read the reviews, everyone loves it!

Sandra
Sunday, September 11/2011 at 4:44 pm

I have light brown hair that is currently light brassy brown hair. I’m going to try the purple shampoo as I don’t have $40 for a visit to the salon for toner. It should work the same way I am told or go to a beauty supply store and they can direct you to a toner to try. Good Luck!

Leibniz
Tuesday, March 13/2012 at 9:17 am

Toners r great n only cost about ten dollars at sallys just be.careful if u have any pltinum the toner could mk.it grayish but ash blonde toner will turn orage hair a better color

Jacquelyn
Monday, August 26/2013 at 3:29 am

This happens to me as well. I’ve since learned to use only colours that have ASH in the name. Dark ash brown, medium ash brown, etc. Our hair has certain pigments that down do well with colours with the word ‘natural’.

Debbie Lickteig
Wednesday, December 11/2013 at 6:08 pm

I have medium brown hair and I struggle with brassiness/orangey hair most of my adult life! There just seemed to be something different about my hair the NO ONE could color correctly. I have been reading this blog, and I decided to try L’Oreal excellence toner in Baby Beige on my now light/medium light brown hair with highlights which, as usual, turned orange and it is the best result I have seen in my hair in my 28 years as an adult!! I approached this toner as follows, and please remember that I have absolutely no color experience what so ever – but I am tired of spending 100$+ on my hair color and getting the same orange brassy color! Ugh! I initially mixed 1 oz baby beige with 1 oz 15 vol developer and placed on my roots since I have the challenge of GREY hair as well :( I know that I should have done a strand test initially but I didn’t have enough time… I let the 15 volume mixture sit on my roots alone for about 13 minutes, during which time I mixed up the rest of the toner 1:1 with 20 volume and placed on the rest of my hair (the brassiest part) for the duration of the 25 minutes total – and the results were amazing! Significant toning down of my orange – more than I have ever seen even with salon attempts. I was VERY conservative on my approach the first time, so when I refresh I will keep the overall 20 vol color on my hair for an additional 3-5 min and see if it isn’t perfection!!

hairdresser
Friday, February 21/2014 at 3:29 pm

Find a medium to light ash blonde and dye it over top using 10 volume developer. It will get rid of brassy and red tones and give your hair a brighter look without going lighter.

katie
Thursday, April 17/2014 at 11:38 am

I have found a great solution to this problem. Color Wow makes a mousse that takes the orange, brassy tones out of brown hair. I got it for my sister and she loves it because it takes the icky orange out of her hair and keeps it from coming back. At first she was worried about a mousse but it is alcohol-free and doesn’t make her hair sticky or crispy. It really helps her hair hold a style. Hope this helps!

Elle Sia
Wednesday, April 6/2011 at 10:44 am

Can someone tell me what brassy hair means? I’m not sure if it’s what I think it means.

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 12:59 pm

It’s when your hair has too much of a warm (reddish, orange, yellow) undertone.

Alyssa
Wednesday, April 6/2011 at 4:00 pm

Ya could you maybe post a picture of “brassy” hair and golden hair? I’m not sure I know the difference? Is it tone? (also, I’ve seen your hair in your bids and definitely do not think it’s brassy!)

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 1:01 pm

Ok, so Mischa Barton’s hair above is definitely brassy (another clue is the dark roots – so clearly it’s not being taken care of well since she got it coloured). Contrast with how it looked here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/11/09/lets-give-mad-beauty-props-to-mischa-barton-who-has-not-looked-this-fresh-and-gorgeous-in-a-looong-time/

Also check out the last two pics here of Mandy Moore: http://beautyeditor.ca/2009/05/11/mandy-moore-woman-of-1000-hairstyles/ The bottom one is definitely brassier (although I don’t think it’s terrible).

Alyssa
Thursday, April 7/2011 at 12:58 am

I meant vids.

Emily
Thursday, April 7/2011 at 1:51 pm

I got my hair bleached blonde last Wednesday and although it felt soft and great when I left the salon, it is now dry and lacklustre. Can you recommend any shampoos/conditioners I should be using. I wish they had used dye instead of bleach, but I was unaware of the damage bleach causes, so I allowed it. My hair is pin straight, shoulder length and thick. I bought the purple toner John Frieda shampoo, so it won’t end up brassy, but I need something to moisturize it. I’m in dire need of help!

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 1:13 pm

I would alternate the purple shampoo with something more moisturizing/reparative to help with the dryness, as well as masques once a week. I don’t think you’ll find Schwarzkopf’s Essensity products moisturizing enough. Kerastase is pricey but really, really good especially for hydration. I’ve also had good success with Redken’s Extreme line – there is a protein treatment that is particularly good for damaged hair. Also Phyto and Philip Kingsley make amazing masques.

At the drugstore I like John Frieda – they actually have a new damage-repair line that is also volumizing: http://www.johnfrieda.ca/en-CA/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Full-Repair/Full-Body-Shampoo And you know, Pantene is pretty good. This is a great and inexpensive weekly treatment: http://www.pantene.com/en-CA/hair-care-products/product/damaged-hair-treatment.aspx

Cherry
Wednesday, December 28/2011 at 11:00 pm

I dye my hair way too much, recently from black to my natural blonde so I know all about dry hair!! A favourite of mine is, warmed baby oil, put the bottle In a warm bowl of water, and then apply it to dry hair. I then wrap my head in clingfilm and try to leave it on for around twelve hours. Wash out well with your usual shampoo and you’ll have really silky soft hair!!

Ashley
Friday, April 8/2011 at 9:24 pm

I am always concerned about using the toners and such as I also pay alot to get a reddish blond color put in thats closer to my natural. It seems like the warmth in the honey blond also goes away when I tone so I am not entirely sure if I should be toning or not. any suggestions?

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 1:16 pm

You mean toning at home with the brass-banishing products? I know what you mean – I get toner at the salon and it’s a very important step in adding the strawberry colour to my otherwise boring blonde. I would probably stick to the salon toners if the exact shade is important to you because from what I’ve read in the reviews, these products can really change the shade.

Samara
Thursday, April 28/2011 at 12:03 pm

Hi,

I currently have the ombre effect in my hair, but my ombre is a mix between grown out badly done highlights, and toners to re-blanace the shades of brown and blonde. My gradation is subtle and natural looking, but my blonder ends are becoming orange and brassy. Will the John Frieda Sheer Blonde Color Renew work in my half brown half blonde hair?

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 4:43 pm

Yep it should! Brassiness isn’t just in blonde hair although it’s more noticeable. A purple shampoo should help to maintain/correct your colour overall.

Sam
Tuesday, May 17/2011 at 1:21 pm

Hi recently attempted to lighten my roots by using XXL blonde :-/ Ive now ended up with white roots and yellow hair and brassy tones. What should I do?

Will the John Frieda Sheer Blonde Color Renew work remove the brassy tone and make my hair look more natural and an equal shade?

Friday, July 29/2011 at 5:18 pm

Oh no! Any anti-brassiness shampoo will help with the brassy tones but you may want something stronger eg a toner (at the salon) or a demi permanent colour all over. Sounds like you need to see a pro though!

Shelly
Wednesday, June 22/2011 at 12:37 am

My natural hair color is dark brown, and I just bleached the underneath blonde and dyed the top darker brown. I bought the John Freida purple shampoo and conditioner to remobe brassiness from the blonde, but if I get the on my brown will it change that color?

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 10:38 pm

It will neutralize brassy tones in both the blonde and the brown… so in the brown it could remove some of the warmth.

aver
Thursday, July 14/2011 at 5:02 pm

can you use some purple dye and developer instead if you dont want to bother with going out to buy the shampoo? i plan on bleaching my hair and dying it purple anywho.

Amber
Tuesday, July 26/2011 at 9:38 pm

My hair is a natural strawberry blonde (a light orange). I have been bleaching it for years now with a full head of highlights and it is a golden blonde. I dont mind the colour but am getting bored with it and would like to draw out some of the golden-ness/brassy-ness. Also the top of my hair is quite white (as this is where most of the highlights are) which i do not like. I went to a hair salon and spoke to her about bringing the colour all together and making it a more even, natural looking blonde. She found a light ash blonde demi-perminent colour which i could use as a toner to achieve what i requested. Do you think this will be effective at creating what I want? Can a toner tone naturally brassy hair or only brassy hair achieved through hair dye?

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:54 am

I’m not a colour expert but yes, it sounds like that will work well – toners work on both natural hair and existing colour. (I get a red one put in my hair after doing all-over colour and it pumps up the copper tones so I end up with a more strawberry-ish blonde.) It should also tone down the white-ish parts at the top of your hair.

Funny that you have the hair colour I want naturally! :-)

Julie
Monday, August 1/2011 at 12:54 pm

I’ve recently had the brazilian keratin treatment put on my hair and have been told that I need to use sulphate free shampoo and conditioner, which is fine, except for the fact that my hairdresser didn’t know of any purple shampoo that is sulphate free. Do you happen to know of any?? I can’t get by without silver shampoo!

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 8:03 pm

I think this is the only one but no idea if it’s available in Canada… http://pravana.com/f/mid/4
Otherwise you might have to do toners at the salon to neutralize the brassiness.

Tatyana
Wednesday, November 30/2011 at 9:03 am

Julie, use Purple conditioner(they all sulphate free) instead of shampoo.

Kitty
Tuesday, January 10/2012 at 8:26 pm

You can buy a purple vegetable dye like Special Effects Wildflower or Manic Panic Lie Locks and mix a bit in with your shampoo. Then voila, whatever shampoo you had is now purple.

Shannon
Thursday, December 13/2012 at 7:12 pm

Manic Panic has a specific toner as well for giving you a whiter blond.

lynne summerfield
Saturday, November 16/2013 at 9:28 pm

philip kingsley silver shampoo and conditioner is an excellent product and sulphate free

Aj
Monday, June 2/2014 at 7:05 pm

Sally’s has a new line and I love it! It’s called Blond Brilliance. It comes in a few different toner colors. Lilac is what I’m using to cancel the orange and yellow from bleaching my dyed black hair back to my natural light blonde. It’s a shampoo toner and is free of Sulfates, Propylene Glycol, Parabens, Animal by-products, and DEA.

Kaitlin Ladd
Saturday, June 14/2014 at 1:31 pm

Wen,nany of the wen products!!! THEY ARE FAB, i thout it was a load of crap till i tried them!! Hope this helps

andrea
Saturday, August 6/2011 at 1:11 am

hey i have a question. i dyed my hair a medium golden blonde. and even though thats the color i wanted it, i think its a little too much for my skin tone, its tooo golden! so would the purple shampoo help me control that?

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 7:05 pm

Yes or you could use a more neutral or ash-coloured toner – the latter will give you a more dramatic result, just depends on how much of the gold you want to cut down.

Verity
Monday, August 8/2011 at 8:45 pm

I used to have dark brown hair but I just recently bleached my hair and then dyed it strawberry blonde. I’m wondering if I should use the John Frieda purple shampoo to minimize the redness in my hair or if I should use the go blonder lightning shampoo instead. I want my hair to be more blonde and less red but I don’t want my hair to be stripped of the color it currently is.

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:35 pm

I would do a purple shampoo like John Frieda’s… or try Artec if you can find it at a salon or beauty supply shop (apparently it’s being discontinued). They make colour-depositing shampoos so will be a bit stronger than drugstore stuff.

Emily
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 1:20 am

I bleached my hair two days ago then did a toner that same day because my hair was yellow now it has somewhat of a brassy undertone but I’m working on getting rid of that and for the most part its light ash blonde now. My main concern is how do I avoid getting roots in a few weeks, my hairs naturally medium/light brown. Is there a way to avoid roots without dying my hair again?

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:39 pm

Just touch up your roots only – not the rest of your colour. Maybe look into a root touch-up kit, i.e.: http://www.clairol.com/niceneasy/roottouchup/shade_palette/index.jsp

sarah
Wednesday, August 17/2011 at 8:14 pm

Help me i have no idea what to do….. my roots r brassy and the rest of my hair is white…. i want to be blonde not white! how do i tone down the white and the roots to be the same colour?… a blonde colour

carmen
Saturday, December 31/2011 at 12:00 am

put a blonde dye in -the shade you want. this will give you an all over colour so long as the shade you choose is not lighter than your roots. no need to tone as the colour will do this for you.

Elisabetta Lebrun Garland-Harper
Wednesday, August 24/2011 at 12:02 am

Help! Since I moved back to Charlotte, N.C., I have paid well to have my hair highlighted with a ‘beach blond’. i.e. Farrah Fawcett, Christie Brinkley, etc. ( as the sun and surf easily does if I have the chance.) Yeeeesssss, I update celebrities of this decade and up! Also, who is the Farrah Fawcett of this ‘day’ and the best color example for newbies?!! In this instance I mean the celebs w/ the modern ‘Farrah’ cuts? After cut and color advice, do you or anyone know an great hair stylist in Charlotte, N.C.? Or the Charlotte area, including S.C.! 4) I purchased the ‘just blond’ from Peter & Moore in England. Does it damage the hair? The shampoo left my hair like hay and the conditioner stung my eyes big time. I have never seen my hair such an entire mess! Hang on to your 2 step water purifier! Have you noticed that some towns are horrible on the hair. Read about the acid vrs. alkaline in the body! You will be drinking the water, also. I want one, especially in Charlotte, N.C. Thanks!!! (yes, the products are x-tra moisturizing)

Justine
Wednesday, September 14/2011 at 6:32 am

I have natural strawberry blonde hair. In the winter my natural color can turn very brassy/faded,what products would help to counteract my brassiness? I`m asking because I love my color naturally. I also have green eyes. Should I forget about finding products and dye my hair a more intense shade of red? I appreciate your feedback. PS. I have a fair to medium skin tone.

Denise
Tuesday, October 11/2011 at 12:29 pm

I am one of those bad people that use Sunin on my hair. It also started to look brassy. I am not sure what to use because hair dressers get made when they find out that it is caused by Sun in. Any ideas????

Lesley
Tuesday, March 6/2012 at 4:55 pm

Sun in contains metallic salts which do not go well with other types of hair colour. I used it years ago and decided to go back to brown however the metallic salts reacted with the brown dye and my hair ended up transparent and like chewing gum. I had to pay a hairdresser to come to the house and fix the mess I’d made. My hair needed to be cut short as a result of this. I was told that I should have used a red dye first to return pigment to the hair cuticle before attempting to use a brunette dye. If you want to remove the brassy tones I would bite the bullet and seek professional help unless you want it all cut short.

Alex
Thursday, October 13/2011 at 2:56 pm

Is brassy hair bad looking on everyone? Are there any people whose skin tone and eye color can actually handle brassy colors? I ask because I have medium tone neutral skin and hazel eyes, and get compliments on my light golden brown hair that actually could be called brassy brown. My mom had a lot of red in her hair, and so do two of her sisters. So is it bad, or just only looks good on some people? Do some people just fight a losing battle when they should be taking advantage of the red tones in their hair?

sisa
Tuesday, December 20/2011 at 12:19 am

red tones in blonde hair looks “unprofessional” I suppose you could take advantage of it by simply going red or a strawberry blonde.

Shannon
Thursday, December 13/2012 at 7:15 pm

There’s a difference between fake “brass” and strawberry highlights. It totally depends on the color, the amount, your skin tones, etc.

kristen
Friday, October 14/2011 at 3:50 pm

can i use blue shampoo for my dark brown hair that tends to turn brassy? if i coloured it blonde and didnt like it would it be difficult to dye dark brown again? (as in, will the colour fade and leave me with somewhere funky in bewtween)

Shannon
Thursday, December 13/2012 at 7:16 pm

No, you should be able to go darker again with no problem, providing you didn’t do something really odd.

Jen
Friday, October 14/2011 at 4:58 pm

So, if I was trying to correct brassiness myself( my colorist just came down w food poisoning) would I use the violet toner powder first and then an ash blonde or visaversa? My brown roots are too reddish and the blondes too yellow

jane parkin
Wednesday, October 19/2011 at 6:17 am

I have dyed my hair from dark brown to blonde i used bonde highlights and it went brassy in places so i used another the next day and it went brassier i put the siver shampoo on and corrected it abit but some of my hair is darker how do i make the dark bits lighter

Madison
Friday, October 28/2011 at 9:56 pm

I’m a swimmer and my hair is straight up gold. I Got it colored brown and it always goes back to gold and brassy. My hair is naturally a darker blonde and when it got lighter from the pool is when I started to dye it. The color lasts about 2 weeks but fades fast. I have terrible roots and have not colored my hair in over a year because it just ends up worse than before. Is there anyway to fix it!?!

carmen
Saturday, December 31/2011 at 12:12 am

change your product. a colour should last longer than 2 weeks!. don’t buy supermarket/cheap dyes -buy the professional. what are you using? are they semi or permanents? professional products will leave your hair in better condition (though being a swimmer will give you more challenges than someone else)

Shannon
Thursday, December 13/2012 at 7:19 pm

Fix? Not so much. But I have a friend who uses an oil treatment on her hair BEFORE getting into the pool and then puts her cap over it with the oil still in — she swears it protects it from the water because it has to make its way through the oil first. Just don’t do it thick or you’ll annoy your pool.

Marian
Sunday, November 6/2011 at 1:05 am

it is Never a good Idea To go
Blonde with boxed toners or colors. The reason is
Because anything boxed at a drugstore is not specific to your hair needs or problem!
which is why some people hate the results,and some people like
Them.. You need to Be bleached at a certain tone for purple
Shampoo to work-if your blonde is
Uneven (example- white on the roots and dark blonde with brassy on the ends) you’ll end up with grey roots and dark blond hair-get it? If you plan on going blonde you
Should at least See a stylist For thee first time …and there are stylists out there who will refresh/toneyour hair for free between retouches! (not $40) hope this helps
some people. You also Shouldn’t put color on top of color when you retouch it at home.

Mariah
Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 2:47 am

So I had my hair like a dark red but got tired of it so I dyed it brown n u were still able to see the red in thy sun so I went n bought a light ash blond hair dye my hair light up a bit I continue dying my hair light ash blond n I like it I got rid of the red but now in the sun it looks gold blond I dont know what to do to take off the gold..??
Would a purple shampoo take off the gold???

carmen
Saturday, December 31/2011 at 12:15 am

yes, i would try it. the purple will give you an ash/cool colour -the opposite of warm/gold

Jane
Friday, November 11/2011 at 9:44 am

Michelle- I just had a keratin treatment that has left me brassy *cries* I will likely go to the salon for a toner AGAIN ( I was there 2 weeks ago, sigh) but am very curious about the L’Oreal Brass Banisher. Is it strictly a toner or is a built in with a colour? Have you used it?

Btw- the cheapest and BEST purple treatment by far is Shimmer Lights. No one else has such an intense violet concentration in their shampoo/conditioner. It was launched in the early 70s when ashy blondes were the rage. I have tried every violet shampoo on the market and always go back to Shimmer Lights. Available at Sally’s.

Amy
Friday, March 2/2012 at 11:04 pm

They also sell @ Sally beauty supply a generic version of Shimmer Lights. Same ingredients…it’s in a white bottle w/ black lettering. Same ingredients just cheap. Shimmer lights is the best, I’ve used other purple shampoos that do not do anything to help my color.

Blaire
Tuesday, November 22/2011 at 2:04 am

Hi,
Ok so for the past few years i have been switching my hair from straight black to blonde…. I would get my hair highlighted and the perfect blonde color then I would decide i didn’t have the extra 100 bucks to put towards my hair since my hair is a natural medium brown and i would go get box color and dye my hair back black. Recently ( Within the past 3 months) I started getting my hair heavily foiled blonde. Well i have been about 4 times and my hair is blonde but it has those horrible orange brassy streaks which are slowly going away but i want them gone as fast as possible because i can’t wear extensions because its like 2 to 3 different colors. My stylist doesn’t leave me under a dryer after she highlights and my color doesn’t stay on that long because my hair has been threw alot and she wants to keep it as healthy as possible but still give me the results that i want but its just taking way to long. What are brass minimizers i can use ( purple shampoo, toners etc.) that are HIGHLY recommended “price is not an issue” and that does the least damage like won’t ruin my hair as far as bleaching does. My hair is getting healthier but has been very processed. Thank you <3

zoe
Sunday, March 11/2012 at 1:13 am

What did you end up doing to get rid of your orange brassy streaks?

Aj
Monday, June 2/2014 at 7:25 pm

I posted earlier for someone with somewhat of the same problem. Which I have struggled with four weeks at a time before finally finding what I needed. Sally’s various it for around $8-$10. It’s called Blond Brilliance. I used it in Lilac to counteract the yellow and orange from bleaching. It is a shampoo toner, that is actually good for your hair! It is sulfate free (amongst other horrible things for your hair), and contains coconut oil, & Acai extract for strengthening and extra nourishing during the process. I know this is late, however after giving up trying to go back to my natural blonde, & just dying my hair dark brown, I have finally found something that helps! & I hope this can help others for future reference! There is also a conditioner from this line as well if wanted! :)

Anni
Thursday, November 24/2011 at 5:54 pm

Hello! I am very glad I have found this article as I´ve had quite a disappointment at my last date with the hairdresser. I go to quite a good salon and usually the colour and cut is always perfect. I am very clear that I want a very ashy blonde without any golden tones. So far they´ve done it fine but this time I have a few golden streaks in between my ashy highlights, especially in the front. I think they have not applyed a toner after coulouring (maybe forgotten?). Anyway, I have bought a silver shampo and conditioner and ordered Fudge Whiter Shade of Pale, hoping I can get the ashy tone back myself. Question: Should I go back to the hair salon and complain or can I (safely) change the tone at home?
Many thanks! Anni.

zoe
Sunday, March 11/2012 at 1:14 am

How did you fix your orange streaks?

leanne
Tuesday, December 13/2011 at 2:20 pm

Hey…i just went from dark dark brown to a light brown with blonde highlights but my roots r yellowy looking a lot brighter than rest of my hair. I bought a silver shampoo that i hav to use twice a wk…..does anyone know if this will help? Am scared to use it lol. Paid 110 to get my hair done aswell!!

nikki platinum
Thursday, December 15/2011 at 4:40 pm

hi I have platinum hair which is not easy but I’ve been at it for some years now and I’ve started to perfect it lol I do my regrowth at home then go the beauty college and they tone it fo 20$!! awesome and don’t worrie there are teachers that watch over so they don’t fugde up so if ur pinched for cash I would suggest this route but beware toner works best when te blonde is as pale as u can get it which may require another bleaching hope this helps my fellow blonderexias :)

sisa
Tuesday, December 20/2011 at 12:16 am

hi! Iam a BLONDE-arexic ( SP?).
I do my hair myself and I notice its just not as even as I want it to be.
It is a honey blonde . I am going to start off with the purple shampoo! I am extremely dedicated to taking care of my blonde hair. ( deep conditioning weekly, all color friendly hair products. etc)

Rebecca
Saturday, January 7/2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi. My name is Rebecca and I am a Blondeaholic. For about 10 years now I’ve colored my own hair and found that if I alternate between “ash” and “natural”, tones at level 8 blonde (L’oreal Preference), I can avoid the brass without ending up green from too much ash. The side bonus to alternating tones was that it also gave me very nice natural looking highlights without the extra processing…even my hairdresser admitted she knew she couldn’t do any better in a professional setting and stopped harrassing me for using the “crappy” box colors on the agreement that I would stop talking about it out loud in the salon LOL!
However, I moved into a new apartment a year ago and the hard water here has really f-ed up my process. I had to go to level 7 blonde to try to hide the issues, but that’s not working so well either and I prefer to be lighter. I switched to the professional versions of my color from Sally Beauty Supply and that didn’t help. My hairdresser clarifies for me now and said she’s never pulled out so much blue from someone’s hair, even in swimmers.
So I am just THRILLED, literally bouncing in my seat to find this blog and will be trying the shower softener IMMEDIATELY (well as soon as I can purchase it)….I didn’t realize I could add just to the shower like that. I can’t fix the whole water system because it’s an apartment but…yay!
I did start a vinegar/water rinse before final conditioning which seems to be helping combat hard water build-up. It’s something I recall doing as a natural blonde, pool-rat child. Easy peasy and cheap. Clarifying shampoos scare me because I’m color treated and they make my hair feel SO rough after. If anyone can comment on that, I’d like to hear more about why it feels like that, and which ones are safe for colored hair? I have Redken Clarifying.
I will remember the purple shampoo for sure. Once I fix this hard water issue I still have my natural tendency to go red/brassy. Thanks for that too!
GO BLONDES! We rock.

Shannon
Thursday, December 13/2012 at 7:26 pm

When mine has been really touchy, like when I’ve gone through a lot of color changes on hair I’m trying to grow out, I use a Brita pitcher — I’ve also taken it with me when traveling when my hair is lighter.

jessi
Sunday, January 8/2012 at 6:21 pm

So i have med. to dark brown hair. I recently went to have it dyed dirty blonde with it being a little darker underneath. I ended up with brassy strawberry blonde and light redish brown
underneath. I spent a lot of money on my hair and its not what I wanted. I started using purple shampoo and Ive notice a slight difference but not enough. What can I do for it thats not to damaging and not too expensive.help:(

Yasmin
Wednesday, January 11/2012 at 3:25 am

Hey Jessi…
I had dark dark brown, almost black hair from years of dyeing it. I used a Loreal Prelightener kit and it went really bright fire red yellow… MAD! I was at a bit of a loss so I put a Loreal Light Golden Blonde through it. It was still really brassy and red… not as bad as the day before.

I found this:

Bought 4 packets (long thick hair) and it worked a charm… 45 minutes and bam… it’s more a light blonde/brown now and I love it. It wont damage your hair, it will condition it, mine feels great!

I also just bought some John Freda Blonde purple shampoo and conditioner as I’ve heard the brassyness can come back over time. But the toner was the quickest cheapest fix.

Beth
Friday, January 13/2012 at 5:34 pm

My hair is naturally medium ash brown, I lightened it with Clairol Brass Free, but ended up with brassy looking hair anyway. Now that the roots are starting to come in there is a noticable difference in my hair color. I look best in cool colors purple,pinks etc. and the brassiness looks just plain bad on me. Will the purple or gray shampoo work for me? Do I need to follow up with the same conditioner?

Jen
Saturday, January 14/2012 at 11:20 am

Hey, a few months ago I went from dark brown/red hair (dyed) to blonde, it took a while of being orange and strawberry blonde but I finally got there! But now I have a problem with the roots of my hair, they go blonde in some places but in others I have a really orange yellow colour! I use John frieda purple shampoo and alternate between Andrew bartons shampoo to nourish my hair, my hairdresser said he could put a spray on my hair which will make it lighter for the bleach or toner but I was too impaitient to wait until I got paid so so I bleached it, and it went that colour. I haven’t spoke to my hairdresser yet, but I’ve bought blonde dye (loreal preference) to make my roots look blonde, but I’m not sure if it will work!!! Has anyone got any tips or ideas on what I should do?!

J
Tuesday, January 17/2012 at 7:09 pm

Hey, I dyed my hair dark brown and naturally it is like dark blonde, and I’ve been letting the dark color fade, but now that it’s faded, it’s pretty brassy orangish and I don’t like that color at alllll on me! Is there anyway to get rid of the brassiness without re-dying it?! Is it OKAY to use a purple shampoo even if your hair is brown??? Or blue shampoo? Please let me know someone! Lol thank you!

kortny
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 7:43 pm

Um, you’re not supposed to use violet fer a brassy orange base, you use blue. We’re going through the color & lightening in school right now and it even states that BLUE gets rid of brassy orange, and that violet is used for canary yellow tones and hues.

Miriam
Friday, January 20/2012 at 2:35 pm

Used born blonde from clairol two days ago which turned my natural medium to dark blonde hair yellow with some orange. Already used shimmer lights to get some of the orange/yellow out which did very little. Question which toner/semi permanent light brown would not turn my hair green? Warm?

Deena
Sunday, January 22/2012 at 11:29 pm

Hi all, for years I’ve had my light brown/dark blond hair highlighted. I wanted a change and to save some $$ so I decided to dye my hair all one color blond. I went to a professional and had him do the initial dying. He used equal parts of a color and 40 developer. Now 3 weeks later, I followed up with dying the roots and it is a little ginger, orange or brass (not sure what to call it) color on top. Just a little. My question is would a toner work? I was thinking about trying a blue violet based one like Wella’s Ivory lady. If this is right then I need to know what # developer to mix with, do only roots and how long to keep it on?

Nini
Monday, January 23/2012 at 9:40 pm

I’m mixed but my hair is curly like an Afro. I’ve been relaxing my hair for years but recently tried a Keratin treatment and I love it!!!
My hair has never been so silky nor looked better… Except For one thing. Even tough I’m in my thirties I have nice black and white hair. I don’t color it because it looks great.
Ever since I started to use Keratin my white hair has turned orangy-yellow!
What can I do to get rid of the yellow? I tried Fancyful without success and baking soda as well. Help!!!

hope
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 3:37 pm

Yellow out by bantu..check your nearest sallys

lisa
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 1:42 pm

I had dark brown hair and i used born blonde maxi to try and go back to being a blonde and now the top of my head is a little white and yellow and the rest of my hair orangey red and i was wondering if i go to a professional will it fix the problem im wanting to go to a light ash blonde Please could use the help thanks!

J
Thursday, February 2/2012 at 12:02 am

So then where do I get the blue shampoo, Kortny? I can’t find ANY!

Holly
Saturday, May 5/2012 at 10:47 pm

You can buy silver toner that comes in a blue colour. La riche directions do a silver, its semi-permanent. You can get it on amazon.

Bre
Saturday, February 4/2012 at 11:43 pm

hi, so I colored my hair reddish brown and I got tired of it after a month and dyed it medium golden brown, instead it made my hair look even more red. I heard that dying it an ash color it would get rid of the red, so I waited a while to let some of the color fade away but it didn’t, so I dyed my hair light ash brown and that did not make one difference. Can anyone help me? Is there a shampoo that gets rid of red tones in natural brown hair? or some other product? Please! Im so tired of having red hair….

Lisa
Wednesday, September 25/2013 at 4:17 pm

I have 2 products on at home all the time that I’ve used for colouring mishaps in the past. They are the Aveda Clove and Aveda Black Malva conditioners. I’ve had overly reddish brown hair before too, and used Black Malva mixed with a bit of Clove and it’s been a lifesaver!! Try those. You could just do Black Malva alone, but it is super dark. I’ve done that once before and people thought I had dyed my hair black. It does fade- but still, kinda sucks if you don’t want pitch black hair. Clove is a reddish brown and lighter, so it might not bring down the redness as much as you would want if you used it alone. But mixing would be key. Let it sit for a bit on your head too to really soak in. They’ve my Hair Colour 911 remedies for years now! (Luckily it’s been a while since I’ve needed them, but their still sitting there just in case. :))

bree
Tuesday, February 7/2012 at 3:05 pm

I have brown hair with blonde highlights and have been using sun in and lemon juice for a few weeks like every few days n my hair is alot lighter and it made all my hair lighter like I was hoping for but it has a brassiness color to it almost like a tint of orange and I have my certificate in cosmotology but I was wondering if the purple shampoo or a toner would work better?? I just recently did a peek a boo in my bangs n it turned out brassy as well and I know a toner would work to get the brassiness out of that but I’m wondering about the rest of my head w the orangy color??

Janet
Wednesday, February 8/2012 at 12:37 am

Ok, so I’ve always got highlights, my hairdresser never wants to color my full head blonde like I want it. I’m also sick of spending do much at the salon, so I just dyed it with a clairol professional color from Sally’s, it was a neutral blonde, and I used t14 wella toner that the lady suggested, so my dilemma is even after toning it my roots are orange, then where I had highlights is a grayish purplish almost white color. Idk what to do!!!!!! I just bought a box of born blonde ultra blue. Is it safe to use it???? Will it turn my old highlights more blue???? I want to color my whole head because I gave orange streaks also going thru my hair. I’m a messssss!!!!!!!

veronica
Thursday, February 9/2012 at 4:28 pm

I used John Freida hair color for the first time yesterday I picked up 6gr thought it would be medium to light brown and low and behold its dark rd tones I am a 69 year old lady and I have fair skin so I look terrible I called up John Freida phone line and was told to get a clarifying shampoo it will take the color out I am going to Scotland in the uk in two weeks and I am sure my family will be asking what have you done have you any other suggestions I can use to take away the harshness they told me I should have used 7n again would appreciate any help in choosing a color I will say one thing it really colored my grey and I do like the product
Thanks in advance
Veronica O’ Carroll

Helen
Wednesday, February 15/2012 at 8:14 am

Hello
I have literally just got back from the salon looked at my hair and seen brass going through it. I am not happy when I pay a lot for blonde highlights. Will this JOhn frieda purple line you are talking about definitely work, as i cant afford to buy things that aren’t going to help!?

Janet
Sunday, February 19/2012 at 12:24 am

Sally’s sells a brand called GVP (generic value products) I started getting their purple shampoo and it works just as good, same ingredients as clairol shimmer purple shampoo. And it’s around $5 a bottle

Clarissa
Thursday, February 16/2012 at 2:58 pm

I have blonde hair-I DO NOT DYE IT—BUT—I have moved where we have well water so now my hair looks red not blonde, so do I dye it back to my real color–then get a good shampoo and then we will have a filter on my shower–?? What are the steps–in what order do I need to go about this?? I don’t really mind the reddish color–but I really do have blond hair and would love to keep it that way–not moving anytime soon….Thanks for any advice girls..

Sharmeen
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 5:42 am

Hey! I have bleached blonde very damaged hair,which used to be jet black! The hairdresser i go to has tryed twice to put pieces of brown through my hair but failed! Does anyone know why this is?

Patty
Thursday, February 23/2012 at 8:20 pm

I have light brown hair mixed with some gray, and use Loreal lightest natural blonde. My hair immediately goes brassy. I use purple shampoo a few times a week. The result is the root area remains brassy and the middle area turns almost white. Instead of uniform brassiness I end up with patches and streaks. I can’t afford to have my hair professionally colored. Help!

Kate
Monday, February 27/2012 at 6:03 am

Hi,

My hairdresser did my hair yesterday, I wanted to go a more golden colour and it’s absolutely what I wanted for the most part, except for the roots which have gone a slightly brassy, orange colour. I’m going to go into town now and pick up something to help and was just wondering if you had any suggestions? My friend who is a hairdresser suggested a tone correcting product that she uses sometimes on her own hair and I was just hoping to get a second opinion?

Thanks!

Hope
Monday, February 27/2012 at 3:57 pm

hi everyone so my hair is crazy right now my roots are about 3 inchs of brassy orange and the rest of it is medium brown idk how to fix it and i dont have the money for a salon whats the best way to fix it (im trying to go a dark red) but if i have to do something else befor that im all ears please help!!

Amy
Tuesday, March 6/2012 at 9:31 pm

Purple shampoo! Shimmering lights is best from Sally’s beauty supply. Leave in roots for a few min. Then due hair blonde, try lightening it also do I suggest Clairol hi-light in a blonde shade, depending what tone u want they have 5 colors–warm tones, golden…cool tones, blue or violet-base such as 12AA ultra-cool. Mid with 40 developer since your “lifting” color. Ask the lady at Sally’s before u buy if these seems ok bc I can’t see your hair from the computer!!! Good luck!! :)

Amy
Tuesday, March 6/2012 at 9:33 pm

Purple shampoo will remove brass and hi-light will lift your color and “deposit” color too, it’s like using bleach n toner in one step. Don’t forget 40dev (all this stuff is at Sally’s)

Donna Poe
Thursday, July 25/2013 at 1:39 am

How long would you leave the toner on your hair?

emma
Wednesday, March 7/2012 at 9:32 am

i recently bleached my hair and it has gone a light brown colour but is quite bright i am wondering what can i do to my hair to make it blonder i don’t really want to bleach my hair agian but if it is nesacerry i will i only left the bleach on it for 45 minutes please help

Kim
Wednesday, March 7/2012 at 8:43 pm

Hi I dyed my hair about a week ago using a lot of bleach and dye. The final die I used was belle ash blonde, my hair looks really nice but my ends are brassy, my roots are fine but the ends are just abit annoying, I’m using Aussie colour shampoo and conditioner and use the 5 min miracle conditioner.
My hair is not as dry as it was so I highly recommend the Aussie stuff but I want to get rid of my brassy ends and I don’t want to use semi toners cuz I don’t want to mess up the hair colour to much.
I was just wondering if the John frida blonde shampoo and conditioner in the purple bottles will sort it out and lighten it abit more to match my really nice colour on the top half of my head.
I have chin length hair and it’s extremely thick.
I would absolutely love some advice on what I should do with my brassy mid-length to ends hair :) thanks xx

Amy
Thursday, March 8/2012 at 12:23 am

@kim- u should pick up shimmering lights purple shampoo. Violet is the opposite color of brass; so it knocks it out of your hair. Use once a week to keep brass tones away. Don’t leave on longer than 5min

Amy
Thursday, March 8/2012 at 12:24 am

It’s by L’oriel in Sally’s

mel
Wednesday, March 14/2012 at 3:20 pm

Hi my hair is a died lloreal casting mahogany colour so sligjt red/brown. im wanting to to the lloreal casting honey blonde can anyone advise me of any box dyes i can by to get this colour. i was thinking of getting the xxl live platnium blondr n puttin that on first and i thought that may come out blonde on the roots and ginger thr rest of my hair and then apply the casting honey blmnde. can anyone tell ne if this will work at all or advise any other dyes that eill work.

DEBORAH JOHNSON
Saturday, March 17/2012 at 9:16 pm

L’Oréal Paris, who make the Colorist Secret Brass Banisher…DOES NOT WORK!!!!! a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY AND TIIME!!!!

Amy
Tuesday, March 20/2012 at 5:02 pm

Hi I have naturally dark blonde hair but is is VERY warm, I went to the hairdressers to have it dyed a lighter shade like it goes in the summer. They bleached it and it went canary yellow, so I went to a different one and they dyed it 7.1 but it keeps going bright ginger after 3 weeks or so. I’ve had it dyed numerous times but nothing works. What shall I do to go back to my natural colour (between 7.1 and 6.1)? Thanks.

maggie
Wednesday, March 21/2012 at 8:40 pm

I just used hair dye remover and didn’t immediately dye my hair the color i wanted, I decided to wait only because i was afraid my hair would not do well with the double process. The hair dye remover left my hair with red tones, some yellow and brown. I have two questions is it ok that i didn’t dye my hair immediately? and when i do decided to dye my hair (light brown almost blonde) will it take or will I have brassyness?

Emily
Sunday, April 8/2012 at 6:00 pm

Please help me two day ago i put bleach in my medium to light brown hair and it went oange im thinking of useing a tonner but im scared if it wont work can some one let me know how to get rid of it my mum has the purple shampoo and conditioner but it not really changing it so what toner could i use? please help

Darla
Monday, May 14/2012 at 8:32 pm

To get the orange out to blonde, you need to reapply bleach, don’t take out until you get pale yellow. Then you can tone if you want.

SharonR
Wednesday, April 11/2012 at 6:12 pm

Interesting that you would recommend L’Oreal Colorist Secret Brass Banisher. I used it last week and it did NOTHING to banish the brass – $14 literally down the drain; oh well, at least I know now. I bought the John Frieda purple shampoo today and am hoping it will work better.

jordyn
Thursday, April 12/2012 at 1:00 am

Hi I use the sheer blonde shampoo conditioner and spray and stopped then my hair got really dark so I used it all a lot in a week to get the color back. Later that week I spent a lot of time in the sun and now my hair is very thin and I feel like it is falling out and I used to have medium thick long hair. What should I do? Is it bleached? Or just damaged? PLEASE HELP

Karen
Thursday, April 19/2012 at 12:13 pm

I have had to use some medicated dandruff shampoos to try to get my scalp under control. I just use them on the scalp and coat my hair in conditioner to protect it. Just yesterday I had to start using a prescription anti-fungal (Stieprox) and does it damage the hair and turn blonde and brown reddish!! My scalp already feels better and my hair isn’t shedding too much, but my hair color is just not right!!! I have to use this stuff 2-3 times a week until the scalp heals. Does anyone have some advice for correcting the hair color and dryness of the hair?? I don’t want to go back to the salon for a while and pay alot of money to fix it if the shampoo is going to ruin it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tina
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 2:10 pm

I use self toners all the time and I love them, not only does it tone down the brassiness in my highlights but in my reddish brown hair. I hate my red tones so it fixes all of it!

Karen
Tuesday, April 24/2012 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Tina, I will give that a try. Where do you get yours at?

Janet P.
Wednesday, April 25/2012 at 7:47 am

For years I have used Revlon Roux #16 Hidden Honey fanci-tone, it has been discontinued. I was told to use Wella Charm Dark ash Blonde or Dark intense ash Blonde and that should match my old color I used to use. Is this so?

Janet P.
Friday, May 18/2012 at 10:38 am

Will you please reply to my question about Roux #16 hidden honey fanci tone being replaced by Wella Charm Dark intense ash Blonde. Thank you. Janet P.

Sophia
Friday, May 18/2012 at 10:21 pm

Is Fanci-tone that rinse-out toner? If so, Wella Colour Charm is not the same – it’s way more like boxed colour. Your best bet is probably to call Revlon and ask what they’d advise as a substitute.

aNON
Thursday, April 26/2012 at 11:38 am

Can a professional gives us the insider tips of what we need to purchase at a beauty supply store?

The above is a rhetoric of crap we already know. We want the inside scoop.

impossiblegirl
Saturday, May 5/2012 at 5:38 pm

The Loreal Paris “brass banisher did NOT work on my hair. I used Feria “Anti-Brass” bleach twice, and STILL super brassy. I’m not going to buy the violet/blue shampoo…any other at home suggestions??

Sophia
Tuesday, May 15/2012 at 12:10 am

I’m not sure if the cost of the purple shampoos is what’s putting you off (it put me off), but if it is, I found a cheap and equally good shampoo at No Frills of all places. I think Loblaws/Superstore sell it too and surely others. The brand is Finesse and it’s called “Silver Beauty.” Shampoo and conditioner are $4 each and the difference pre and post shower is amazing.

Otherwise, use a toner – you could try Wella’s White Lady which they sell at beauty supply stores. They have a few shades to choose from depending on what type of colour you’re trying to eradicate (yellow/orange).

I’m not a professional – take this advice at your own risk – it’s just what’s worked for me and I’m fairly light blonde (and do it all myself).

grace
Sunday, May 13/2012 at 2:24 pm

i bleached my hair recently and my pony tail is orange!!! :( and very damaged any products you can reccomend?

Sophia
Tuesday, May 15/2012 at 12:11 am

I read that Shoppers sells a conditioning mask that is purple tinted to counteract brassy tones. I think the brand is Ice Cream and the colour was Silver. I’ve never used it, but the person writing about it said it was really moisturizing and worked well to get rid of orange tones.

Jules
Monday, May 14/2012 at 5:59 pm

I had boxed my naturally blonde hair black for about 4-5 years. Just yesterday I had gone to the salon for 5 hours and had a color correction done and highlights and it is a nice light color now, but due to the red tones in the black die I do have some coppery undertones and the ends of my hair are fairly dry. What do you recommend?

Cyndy
Monday, May 21/2012 at 4:50 pm

May hair is a mousy brown. I had it died red with lighter red highlighs. It is now very orange, Will the blue/purple shampoo help wit red hair? Thank you for your help.

Emily
Wednesday, June 6/2012 at 11:26 pm

i had darkish brown and redish dyed hair so i bleached it and of coarse it went orange and heaps brassy so i went out and bought a light brown to cover up and it worked and then i waited a while and bought a lighter brown betweeen blonde and brown and somebits went blondish then i used a blonde toner and it sort of made the blondish bits blonder so i dont know wether to get blonde highlights put through the top where it is darker or just re-dye blonde if anyone knows can you please help?????

sarah
Wednesday, August 8/2012 at 9:03 am

i have platnium hair and left my roots for a while to come threw as my hair bit damaged and now ibe done my roots with bleach its gone a bright yellow:( do i buy hair dye to go back over my yellow roots?

Tash
Tuesday, August 21/2012 at 8:27 am

I just had blonde “peek-a-boos” put in my hair last night, and she never put the toner on it.. it was really weird. I was happy but left feeling sort of disappointed. My sister had her hair done last week with the same girl, had blonde highlights put in her hair, and she did the toner (really well I might add). I was wondering if she didn’t put the toner in my hair, because I also have red and brown in my hair, but then she told me that I could use the ‘purple shampoo’ :/ so weird.

I’m going to buy some ‘purple shampoo’ today, and probably try it out tomorrow. My hair doesn’t necessarily look “bad”, but it’s not at it’s full ‘blonde’ potential either.

helen
Thursday, September 13/2012 at 12:12 pm

i do not tint my hair have nice gray hair that is getting yellow streaks in it only use matrix so silver help what can i do ? need to get rid of this yellow thanks

Rach
Wednesday, November 14/2012 at 5:20 am

Brilliant article, thanks so much for posting!! :-)
My hair was very yellow and brassy after a recent home dye job but I shampooed twice with the John Frieda shampoo you recommended then used the John Frieda conditioner from the same range and already it looks 90% better – almost all brassiness gone – it will look 100% better once I’ve used it again tonight. Thank you for your helpful advice – I love my hair again! :-)

lisa
Wednesday, November 28/2012 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for thw info, really helped

Ashley
Monday, December 17/2012 at 3:15 pm

I use Wella Toners from Sallys. I usually mix a beige and a ash together to go after the yellow and orange tones after bleaching. I use a 20 v developer with the Wella T18 and t11. I only use half of each so I can re-tone later if need be.

sarah evans
Saturday, January 5/2013 at 10:34 am

thank you so much for advise am going out to buy products now and give them a try.

lillyona
Monday, July 1/2013 at 11:40 pm

PLEASE HELP …. Whats the best PURPLE SHAMPOO
to get rid of BRASSY med/light orange hair ./ with yellow roots?

I do not want to re – bleach it… I would like my hair to be white or silver very light with no yellow tones can anyone help? thanks

PS. If the purple shampoo does not work how long should I wait to re – bleach. Its been 4 days I have already bleached my hair 2 times in 2 weeks …. I use protein and moisture treatments my hair is alittle damaged
but not falling out?

Rebecca
Tuesday, May 20/2014 at 11:15 pm

Having gotten highlights oodles of times on my brunette hair, most color depositing shampoos and conditioners have been useless (used Shimmer Lights, Goldwell, Artec, KMS, Bumble & Bumble, Ardell purple deposit packet) and they pretty much have been useless. In the past, I’ve had good results with Schwartzkopf Color Mousse in Iceflower. It’s taken out excess warmth in my hair but has never dried it out or made it green, blue and/or purple. Although if you’re light blonde to platinum, I’d recommend going with their mousse that is violet-based but I forget which color that is (iceflower is blue violet and light blonde tones could gather bluish purple undertone I think).

A hairstylist recently recommended Tressa Watercolors Shampoo for me cause the blue in the toner(s) I added to blend in my highlights has been obliterated (or simply didn’t exist in those toning colors) so the highlighted part of my hair has looked like someone tinkled on them (sorry … best way I can describe it) and the non-highlighted part has looked like the ugly grimy reddish gunk that builds up on old and worn pipes. I just washed the other day with the Hazelnut color, which has a blue green base to counteract reds and orange colors in light brown hair (I believe there’s another shade to counteract excess warmth in dark brunettes too). I was skeptical but I have to say I was really impressed having noticed the darker part of my hair actually looks a nice cool brown again without any trace of gray green undertones (I’m always afraid of ash/green going the other way around cause I made the mistake of having ash-based highlights. They looked green-gray and made me look sick). I did this five days ago and the cool brown still appears to be holding up despite simply being a color support shampoo. Unfortunately, the Hazelnut Watercolors hasn’t done much for my yellow blonde highlights. They also have a Violet version and I’m waiting for that one to arrive. If it’s anywhere near as good as their Hazelnut version, then that’d be great.

Emily Pascale
Monday, July 8/2013 at 9:44 pm

HELP!!! So every single time I have ever tried to go blonde the hair from my scalp to about 6 inches from my scalp always comes out extremely orange looking. at home and at salons. we’ve tried colors with purple bases, purple shampoo, bleach (which by the time it gets rid of the orange my hair is breaking off and extremely thin) different stylists suggest it may be because of a medication I take for a neurological disorder called Lamictal since it is only on the top of my head while the rest of my hair colors perfectly. today we tried with purple shampoo and toner and the orange got worse on my scalp and the rest of my hair is like a platinum purple lol. My goal is to get rid of this orange on the top of my head and soon because I am a model and have a video shoot for a movie soon and a university interview!

Anne
Saturday, August 17/2013 at 12:59 pm

I’ve also heard of people washing their hair in diluted apple cider vinegar to remove the mineral deposits from hard water. What about a swimming shampoo, as it is designed to remove chlorine?

Lisa
Wednesday, September 25/2013 at 4:11 pm

I use all John Masters products on my hair since it’s super eco friendly and just amazing on my hair. He has an Apple Cider Vinegar Clarifier Rinse that I use. I have medium/dark brown hair with highlights in a couple of colours, and last time I saw my colourist he was impressed with how un-brassy my highlights had gotten. He kept on commenting on how great my colour held up. I’m not sure if it’s the Clarifier Rinse I’d been using, or my lack of hair washing in general (haha!) but I feel like the rinse played a part in it, since it is supposed to seal in colour and balance hair.

June
Friday, November 1/2013 at 11:58 pm

I fucking hate your face. I fucking hate how you use “haz” you lol cat loving twat

Whit
Saturday, November 23/2013 at 1:20 am

@June: You’re rude…”lol”. @Editor of article: I’m on a budget and went to a salon. Sadly, I went in with dirty blonde trying to go close to champagne blonde and left with most dark brown ends, lots of orange and blonde on top, but the “toner” they used turned my roots WHITE. And I don’t mean white as in pale blonde, I mean white as in albino white, crayon white, snow white, this page’s background white. Any advice as I spent all I had on that salon visit? Thanks!

Choimin
Thursday, April 24/2014 at 2:39 pm

IMHO the true test of a color safe shampoo is on red hair dye. I have had years of experience trying to keep auburn on my naturally white hair (yeah, I know it’s a losing battle) and Shielo’s Color Protect Shampoo / Conditioner is the best. Shielo is better than what my salon uses and better than Matrix.

R Porterfield
Wednesday, May 28/2014 at 8:31 pm

So what’s the difference between brassy and reddish-blonde or strawberry blonde because i can’t tell and the author’s pic looks pretty brassy…..

Kay Tay
Tuesday, July 1/2014 at 12:50 pm

Hey all,

I dye my hair a whole lot, from black to brown, to recently using the born blonde maxi. I’m having the same experience as the rest of you with the brassiness but I used it for an ombre so I plan on using the john frieda purple shampoo and hopefully that helps. I did want to share though for those of you experiencing dryness that there is a solution! I use coconut oil by Palmer’s (3.99 for a bottle) and it really does help to soften up any dryness from color or heat. Also, I deep condition at least three times a week with an olive oil based deep conditioner. It comes in a big tub and you can usually find it in the ethnic care hair section of Walmart ( I have mixed hair) but it works really well on hair that’s been dried out with bleach or any other hair dye! I leave it on for like 15 minutes with a shower cap then rinse it out, and it really brings back the softness especially to the ends! hope this helps!