Hate plastic surgery and injections? That’s because you only notice them when they’re done badly (unlike on these celebs)

lip injection

Not to sound like I’m advocating tinkering with your face or anything, but it’s the strange irony of the cosmetic enhancement biz that the people we recognize as having had “work” done are attracting attention for all the wrong reasons. You only notice bad surgery (hello, Bruce Jenner), bad filler (remember Lisa Rinna’s lips?), bad veneers (sorry, Hilary Duff) and bad Botox (Nicole Kidman—duh!).

But I’ll bet you a lifetime supply of lipsticks that many (if not most) celebs and public figures have done some dabbling in the plastic arts. We just don’t realize it. They visit the best doctors, all on the sly, and quietly get their noses refined or gums reshaped or wrinkles smoothed out—and the general public is none the wiser. In fact, it’s funny: we tend to idolize celebs because we think they’re born beautiful… but ARE THEY REALLY? If you can get your hands on some Before and Afters, you might feel pretty good about your own non-enhanced features. (Another irony.)

Also? If you DO think you might want to tweak a few things that are bothering you—I, for example, have just had gum reshaping and a couple of veneers placed—then there’s no better place to look than Hollywood if you want examples of great work. So whether you’re just here to gawk or are maybe kinda sorta thinking about a procedure, let’s take a peek at a few of the best cosmetic makeovers in the business.

All photos courtesy of GoodPlasticSurgery.com:

LEIGHTON MEESTER BEFORE AND AFTER

Leighton Meester before and after Hate plastic surgery and injections? Thats because you only notice them when theyre done badly (unlike on these celebs)

Wowza! All I can detect is a nose job, but what a difference it makes, non? I can personally vouch for the power of this type of surgery (not that I’ve had rhinoplasty, mind you!) because I had images of my face taken with Vectra, a special type of camera that allows plastic surgeons to show you, in 3D, how your face would look after certain refinements. I’d never do it, but after seeing myself with a thinner, shapelier nose, one could definitely make a case for it. Janine at BeautyGeeks did a post on this system a while back, and you can see the pics it gives you here.

HALLE BERRY BEFORE AND AFTER

Halle Berry before and after Hate plastic surgery and injections? Thats because you only notice them when theyre done badly (unlike on these celebs)

Well, well, well. I’ve been saying over and over that Halle doesn’t look any different from 10 years ago (or more)—but it seems there IS one glaring difference. Again, it’s the nose. She was still gorgeous “Before,” but do you see how the very slight refinement has elevated her face into movie star territory? Her lower lip, apparently, was reduced too.

KATE BECKINSALE BEFORE AND AFTER

Kate Beckinsale before and after 2 Hate plastic surgery and injections? Thats because you only notice them when theyre done badly (unlike on these celebs)

More rhinoplasty here, but also witness the transformative power of veneers and gum reshaping. Oh, and brow plucking—but you just need tweezers for that! Anyway, Kate’s work isn’t so radical that it makes her look like a different person. There’s still a cuteness there, but it’s a perfected cuteness.

BETHENNY FRANKEL BEFORE AND AFTER

Bethenny Frankel before and after Hate plastic surgery and injections? Thats because you only notice them when theyre done badly (unlike on these celebs)

Definitely some cheek filling going on here, and you have to admit it looks good, doesn’t it? She looks less tired but not plastic and fake.

RACHEL ZOE BEFORE AND AFTER

Rachel Zoe before and after Hate plastic surgery and injections? Thats because you only notice them when theyre done badly (unlike on these celebs)

More filler and Botox. But because the doc left some wrinkles on the forehead and around the mouth, it’s not like she’s trying to be 25 again. This makes for a much more believable, natural effect.

So the lesson here, if you’re considering any sort of facial refinement? Research, research, research. There’s not necessarily a direct correlation between how much you spend and the results you’re going to get, but I think it’s safe to say that you should avoid making a decision based on price alone. Surgery especially (although it can happen with fillers too) can have a masculinizing effect on women and a feminizing effect on men, so Before and After pics are critical.

Here’s a vid from a while back with more tips on injections specifically.

Do you agree that most public figures have had very skilled and subtle work done?
Have you ever considered a surgical procedure or needles?
Which one of these celeb “Befores” are you most surprised about?

Erin
Wednesday, April 6/2011 at 5:19 pm

I find it very disappointing that Leighton Meester has had a nose job, simply because I think she was perfectly adorable before and she is still so young! Even though the knowledge that they’ve all had work done is supposed to be comforting because it means I don’t look so bad after all, I find it upsetting. I would prefer if those people had all the privileges of being famous because they were superhuman-ly beautiful. Also, I find that I scrutinize every actress on TV lately, suspecting they have recently had some work done. My most recent study: Naya Rivera from “Glee.”

Still, informative post. Thanks.

Elaine
Wednesday, April 6/2011 at 11:33 pm

I tried googling Naya Rivera a few weeks ago because she looks SO different this season from last season. and not in a good way. Lips, Nose, and it kind of looks like she had her chin done too. Although I can see how some stars look “better” (for lack of a better term) after, Naya looked way better before.

Thursday, April 7/2011 at 7:35 pm

Do you have any link(s) to before and after comparisons? I can’t seem to find… and since I don’t really watch Glee, I can’t see the “difference” everyone is talking about.

Thursday, April 7/2011 at 7:34 pm

I SO agree with you. It’s like it takes the mystery and aspiration out of it to know that these people are all kind of… average.

I can’t find Naya before and after pics but from the way the search terms come up on Google there are a lot of other people looking as well! Hmmmm…

Erin
Friday, April 8/2011 at 5:41 pm

I can’t find actual before and after pics, side by side. Here is a high school photo:

Here is one from when “Glee” began about two years ago:

And here is one from a recent episode of “Glee”:

I have spent more time than I’d like to admit scrutinizing pics like these, trying to figure out if there is a definite change or if it’s just a matter of growing up and different makeup. It’s more like a gut feeling when watching the show that something is different, particularly when it comes to her lips and cheeks. That said, I do think she’s a beautiful girl–I certainly wouldn’t mind looking like her–so if she did have something done, I don’t think it has adversely affected her appearance.

(Sorry all those links are to lame websites.)

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 12:46 pm

Oh wow, she does look different! Definitely the lips… hard to say re: cheeks. I really hate lip injections… they never, ever look good.

Katie
Wednesday, April 6/2011 at 6:19 pm

britney spears has had a great nose job!

Thursday, April 7/2011 at 7:35 pm
Liz (Beauty Reductionista)
Thursday, April 7/2011 at 2:00 am

I had no idea about Leighton Meester! I think her chin is pointier and cheekbones are higher as well, unless she lost a lot of baby fat, but it does look like a very subtle change in bone structure.

The others were obvious to me for a while, most notably Halle Berry. People got upset at me when we were watching the Oscars and I said her face was done. Ugh.

How come you left out Jennifer Aniston? ;)

Thursday, April 7/2011 at 7:37 pm

Oh RIGHT! Her rhinoplasty was the most dramatic of all!
I think it’s gone done in size even more since that pic…

fleur_fleurie
Thursday, April 7/2011 at 4:58 am

Although in many cases the after-pics were really better than before, I could not tell that the first girl actually had improved herself. I think she looks much-much better with her authentic nose which goes slightly up in monroe`s style. The “after” nose, frankly speaking, looks worse – its edge is clearlydropping!

Thursday, April 7/2011 at 7:38 pm

I see what you mean. And don’t people’s noses drop with age? She will probably need more surgeries later in life to keep it from drooping.

Riley
Friday, April 15/2011 at 9:40 pm

I think the first pic of Leighton is actually her “after”. Her nose was muuuch wider in old shots. Like here : http://i51.tinypic.com/s41bmq.jpg

Saturday, April 16/2011 at 12:07 pm

Maybe she’s had multiple surgeries!

Gaelle Lehrer Kennedy
Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 10:15 am

Cosmetic surgery when performed by a gifted “natural” surgeon can look more natural then using makeup to hide what you don’t like and what makes you feel insecure. When choosing a surgeon ask to see at least 12 of their clients that have had the same procedure you desire.

Kathy
Friday, December 2/2011 at 6:02 pm

I think Halle looks completely different….her nose and her lips. She definitely looks so much better since her younger days…she was always attractive, but now she’s stunning!! Good for her!

Jane
Wednesday, March 27/2013 at 6:13 pm

Because you don’t want her to look black? A larger nose and fuller lips are traits of her African heritage, but changing those made her better…. Oh ok