Video: Is it spring already? Here are 5 makeup essentials to invest in now

Diane von Furstenberg spring 2011

Folks, it’s ovah.

Winter, I mean. Just last night I finished tucking away my wool sweaters, tweed jackets and approximately 751 pairs of black tights. And then I looked at my pale white legs—which will now require MUCH more diligent exfoliation, hair removal and self-tanning—and thought, “Oh, how I’m going to miss you, black tights.”

But you know what I’m not going to miss? (At least until July or August, which is when I’ll have to start writing about it again?) Winter makeup. Goodbye, matte skin. Goodbye, plum and berry lips. Goodbye, heavy eyeshadow. Instead, I am ready to welcome gently flushed cheeks, well-groomed brows, dewy skin, loooong lashes and of course, my favourite eyeliner in the waterlines.

So is Urban Decay’s global makeup artist, Eric Jimenez, who was in town a few weeks back to present the brand’s new spring offerings. I asked him to tell us about the top five makeup essentials for spring (Urban Decay products or otherwise), and what a coinkydink! They’re all from my current pet favourite beauty categories. Here’s the vid:

In particular, I highly recommend checking out the Afterglow Cheek Tints and 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils—both are tops!

There’s just one more “essential” in my book that Eric didn’t talk about…

DIANE VON FURSTENBERG SPRING RTW 2011 BEAUTY 005 runway Video: Is it spring already? Here are 5 makeup essentials to invest in now

Bright lipstick! Which you may recall is a HUGE spring trend from the S/S ’11 shows. They’re not really Urban Decay’s bag, but there are loads of lines that have ‘em. Three to try: Revlon’s ColorBurst lipstick, Cargo’s Plant Love and Tarte’s amaaazing lip stains.

Which makeup items are you busting out for spring?
What have you given a time out until next winter?
Do you think you’ll invest in any of these?

Alyssa
Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 1:26 pm

I’ve been busting out the self tanner/bronzer non-stop! I’m also really liking softer shades of eyeshadow (lavenders, emeralds) instead of the usual fall/winter plums and grays.

Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 5:53 pm

Yes to the lavender eyeshadow! Totally digging that as well.

Jen
Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 1:42 pm

Do you know what the lip colour in that second runway shot is? Of my 342 tubes of bright lip colours (hazard of the job, you’ll agree), I don’t believe I have one precisely like that.

Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 5:56 pm

Haha! Yep, it’s M.A.C Pro Chromagraphic Pencil in Process Magenta… no idea if they still sell it though.

Mellyjo
Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 2:33 pm

so cute – he said ‘eyelash fall-age’ – love it!

Sophia
Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 4:27 pm

So not ready for naked legs, but excited to fully embrace bright lip, clean skin and nearly-naked eyes. One thing he mentioned that I never understood is multiple coats of mascara – this has never ever worked for me, and I wish it would since my lashes are short and thin. It just gets crusty and clumpy.

Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 5:58 pm

I know what you mean. Have heard this from multiple sources before, not just Eric, but it always makes me clumpy too. I wonder if he just means applying your multiple coats in quick succession without waiting for it to dry in between… which, if true, means that I must put on something like 57 coats!!!

Meg
Thursday, April 21/2011 at 8:44 am

I didn’t realise that you’re “supposed” to let mascara dry between coats, so I’ve never done it, and I think it makes my lashes look lovely. You do have to be sure to use your lash comb before moving on to the other eye, though, because otherwise you can get killer clumps.

Alyssa
Friday, April 22/2011 at 12:11 am

I’m able to layer throughout the day w/o clumpiness with loreal voluminous collagen. May not work for others but it’s worth a try! I also love using the tip of the brush vertically! (this is my hg mascara and trust, I’ve tried em all, high and low end)

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 2:32 pm

I love L’Oreal Voluminous! A makeup artist favourite too so you have good taste. :-)

Zahra
Wednesday, April 20/2011 at 10:48 pm

I have really dry, dehydrated skin and try to wear as little foundation and concealer as possible, in order to minimize the dry patched that inevitably show up by 3pm. should I use a primer (and if so, which one) or a tinted moisturizer (which one)?

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 2:44 pm

Great question! Primers and tinted moisturizers accomplish different things so it’s not really an either/or situation. I’d first of all recommend you use a hydrating serum underneath your moisturizer – there are some recos here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/01/24/winter-sux-anyone-else-sick-of-this-whole-living-in-canada-thing-but-heres-my-rx-for-soft-smooth-flake-free-skin/

Then you have the option to do a primer on top as well, which can help your tinted moisturizer (or foundation) go on smoother and adhere better to your skin. You just want one that’s specifically made for hydrating instead of mattifying. I really like the CoverGirl + Olay combo serum/primer. Cover FX makes something similar: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P191321&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5880

As for tinted moisturizer vs. foundation, it really just depends on the coverage level you want because there are definitely super-hydrating foundations out there as well (just go for a cream formula and look for the words “hydrating” etc on the label). Otherwise Laura Mercier is well known for great tinted moisturizers… I also really like Josie Maran’s, which I’ve been using lately. If you layer on a serum + regular moisturizer + primer + tinted moisturizer that should definitely give you the hydration you need… if it’s too greasy then you can probably skip the regular moisturizer step.

Oh and throughout the day if you get dry patches a colourless balm is great for touch-ups. Eg Dermalogica Barrier Repair or this little stick from Guerlain: http://www.guerlain.com/int/en/base.html#/en/home-soins/soin-catalogue/super-aqua-serum-hydrating-care-presentoir/super-aqua-day-cooling-facial-stick.html

Nomadic D
Thursday, April 21/2011 at 7:34 am

what do you think the lippy is in that first photo? i’m loving the way it manages to be both neon and soft at the same time.

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 2:46 pm

That’s from the DVF show – M.A.C. Chromagraphic Pencil in Process Magenta and Neon Pigment in Magenta Madness.

C. Kent
Sunday, April 24/2011 at 9:35 pm

Great vid. So glad that spring is here. I think I might keep my warm clothes within reach for a few more weeks, but the bright lipstick is definitely coming out asap.