Blake Lively red hair TIME 100 Gala

Holy hair dye! Did you see this one coming? Blake Lively debuted some red-hot new locks at the Time 100 Most Influential People party the other night, joining Drew Barrymore—who went over to the fiery side a few weeks back—as well as a very long list of celebs who’ve dabbled in the colour over the years (most recently, think: Emma Stone, Hillary Duff and Khloé Kardashian).

Now I’m officially on Red Hair Watch, because clearly there is something in the air, dontcha think? (Or maybe it’s just because I, too, recently went for a strawberry-ish hue inspired by Scarlett Johansson circa 2008.)

Anyway, whenever a celeb makes a radical hair transformation, it demands our attention, so let’s compare and contrast—and then I wanna hear who YOU think wears red best.

So this was the old, blonde Blake:

PFW F11 Blake Lively Chanel 2 Whoa! Blake Lively just jumped on board the red hair train—but does she wear it as well as Drew Barrymore?

There’s a reason everybody lusts after Serena van der Woodsen’s hair. She makes a REALLY great blonde.

But now we have this:

Blake Lively red hair 2 Whoa! Blake Lively just jumped on board the red hair train—but does she wear it as well as Drew Barrymore?

No word yet on whether it’s for a role… [UPDATE: It IS for a role, the movie Hick.] but if I chillax and let myself free-associate this look, here’s what comes to mind right away:

Jessica Rabbit Whoa! Blake Lively just jumped on board the red hair train—but does she wear it as well as Drew Barrymore?

Unfortunately, Jessica Rabbit has oodles of sex appeal, and Blake Lively kind of… doesn’t. (Sorry Blake, but it’s true.) I think that’s the biggest reason why the red doesn’t work for me here—it just isn’t meshing with her personality. Then there is the problem of the colour itself, which I think this maybe a little TOO red, a little too fake-looking and a little too close to both her skin tone and the peachy eyeshadow she used to always wear up to her eyebrows.

Now let’s check out Drew Barrymore’s interpretation of red. Just to refresh your memory, here’s the look we were starting with—an Ombré whose 15 minutes were definitely up (as I observed with mine too):

Drew Barrymore CoverGirl 50th anniversary party Whoa! Blake Lively just jumped on board the red hair train—but does she wear it as well as Drew Barrymore?

And here’s the new auburn shade:

Drew Barrymore red hair Beauty Detox event Whoa! Blake Lively just jumped on board the red hair train—but does she wear it as well as Drew Barrymore?

Can you say peaches-and-cream gorgeousness? I think what I like best about the new shade is what it does for her SKIN—although the way it makes her green eyes pop is also quite delicious. This is the power of colour, peoples. When it’s the right one, it brings all of your best features into the spotlight. The slightly darker shade is a tad more natural-looking than Blake’s… although I would like to see even more of a dark auburn.

For me, Drew wins this round. But I wanna know if you agree:

Are you loving Blake’s Jessica Rabbit-toned hue?
Or do you prefer Drew’s darker, auburn tresses?
Have you ever gone red? Are you considering it?

Nomadic D
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 9:06 am

WOW. Did not see that one coming at all! I totally agree with you, I think that Blake’s color is clashing oddly with her skin color and her eyeshadow staple. I actually love bright orange hair like that, but I just don’t think it’s working on her. Drew, however, looks STUNNING. Best hair on her ever, I think. I’m a bottle red myself, and I love to see other people take the plunge, even when it doesn’t always work out for the best, it’s just so fun!

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:37 am

Yep, I think it’s one of Drew’s best colours too! Although she switches it up so often, we should enjoy this while it lasts. :-)

Megan
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 9:07 am

I am liking Drew MUCH better on this one. I loved Blake before……. I don’t know, maybe it will grow on me but first impressions aren’t so great! Thanks for sharing :)

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:40 am

I’m wondering if it will “settle” as it fades a bit… just looks like it needs more blonde tones in it to be natural-looking. (Although now I see the news has come out that it IS for a role, so probably natural-looking is not the point.)

Corinne
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 9:56 am

Drew is definitely the winner here. I had a wow moment seeing her in auburn.

As for Blake, she really needs to lose her orange eyeshadow. However, I wonder if the bright red background also contributes to making her new hair color look slightly off.

However the more I look at it, I realize,somehow, there’s something about her being a red head that works for me! Maybe its because it differentiates her from oh-so-annoying Serena!

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:42 am

Hee! Glad you mention that (the eyeshadow) – I don’t know why, but it drives me crazy. Huge beauty pet peeve there.

Thomas
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 10:50 am

Drew looks so much better than Blake with the red! It’s so much more natural for her skin tone, whereas Blake’s looks like it’s obviously come from a bottle! Also why would you get rid of such a nice blonde colour??? It’s so hard to find the perfect blonde!! I think the problem is it’s too close to her skin tone… Plus, I actually can’t tell if it’s just me, but does the red age her quite considerably? I honestly can’t tell.

In England it was a HUGE thing over winter to have red hair, ever since Cheryl Cole dyed her’s red. Literally EVERYONE had red hair over here. I myself bought the exact shade she used, and it was really great for my skin tone! Unfortunately since it was a semi-permanent I had to keep topping it up on a weekly basis, so it was time to ditch it for me. So I’m not SO surprised that it’s gone over to America, however In England the style was to have very vibrant, cherry hued colours.

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:45 am

I just had to Google Cheryl Cole, I see what you mean about the cherry! She wears it well. It’s such a shame that red is the hardest colour to keep up.

Emily
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 11:28 am

Blake looks sort of miserable/uncomfortable with her new color – I agree, it’s not a good personality match for her (she’s such a golden retriever)!
Drew is an amazing chameleon – looks fantastic as usual.

Nomadic D
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 11:35 am

golden retriever! that’s hilarious!!

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:46 am

Oh em gee!!!! I heart you forever for the golden retriever reference.

Just found a quote where she says she doesn’t feel like herself as a redhead, so yeah – I assume she’s fully aware that it’s not her best look.

Ashley
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 2:15 pm

I have always loved drew best as a red head, because of her I have even thought of dying it that shade myself. its funny comparing the two because my hair is currently closer to lively’s original blond which was fantastic, why wreck? i must agree with the people of above and cut her some slack because of the flaming red background might be throwing the color off but it looks a little ketchup-ish? very sad. some strawberry highlights might have been better. thats what i just got but the problem is they fade over the blond and look like you have red roots. dunno lets hope its for a role and we all see serena as a blond again

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:51 am

Oh yes – I was soooo sad when a friend of mine with natural, gorgeous light blonde hair decided to become a redhead a few years ago. It never looked right and took a long time to get it back to blonde. I guess I can’t fault anyone for experiementing because it IS fun – but at the same time, if I had hair like that I wouldn’t even touch it! I mean, I spend $1000s at the salon just in hopes of getting something similar :-)

Elaine
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 4:27 pm

Blake’s hair is the exact colour of ketchup chips…

Sophia
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 10:40 pm

Kat
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 7:45 pm

The red background probably doesn’t help, and that blue dress probably ain’t helping her case much either. I mean we get it, orange and blue are complementary colors, but she already rocks the combination on her eyes, like.. ALL the freakin’ time. The dress to me was just an overkill. I feel that on a neutral background, with darker lipstick and (coughs) a better dress, it would look great. Everything’s just a little too monochrome on this picture, and did I mention the color of that dress sucks?!

Drew Barrymore, however, doesn’t suck. At all. ♥ Red hair and green eyes is the perfect combination, and I’m so very jealous.

Kat
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 7:51 pm

Oh and BTW, after little (to no) research, I found out it’s for a movie called Hick. Ick!! :P

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:53 am

Thx – I updated the post!

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:52 am

I don’t mind the dress that much… on January Jones or someone with more of a cool blonde, Grace Kelly type of look, it would probably be fine. But yes, here it is hurting my eyes.

Meeka
Wednesday, April 27/2011 at 8:35 pm

I love Drew’s color! I often sport that shade of red myself so I may have a soft spot for it lol. But it does look fantastic on her :)
I’ll reserve judgement on Blake until I see a better picture. Immediately I thought “You can’t tell with that background.” It looks like an odd shade and I’m not sure about it on her but a lot of that could be because of what she’s standing in front of. It’s too bad you couldn’t get a different picture.

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:53 am

Haven’t seen any others come through yet but agree, would be nice to see against a more neutral background.

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:57 am
Abbie
Friday, April 29/2011 at 11:28 pm

Its a lot darker in other photos I’ve seen. In these photos its nearly the same colour as her skin. I do wonder more than anything how she keeps her hair so healthy.

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:57 am

These have not been retouched so perhaps that’s the reason? Not sure.

Re: her routine, I just found this, but can’t seem to find any specific product recos for home care:

To maintain Lively’s signature Gossip Girl blonde, O’Connor lifts her base color one shade from her natural hue and does a gloss treatment every 5-6 weeks, paints in highlights every 3 months and adds lowlights every 3 or 4 months.

heather
Sunday, May 1/2011 at 6:15 pm

look what i just found from last night: http://dlisted.com/node/41767/images/spl273407_003.jpg

scarjo’s gone red too!

Wednesday, May 11/2011 at 11:35 pm

Oh my goodness! So terrible! Good to know it’s also for a role… I like her best with the strawberry blonde – thought that was her ultimate.

Kharina
Sunday, May 1/2011 at 6:23 pm

Blake’s colour reminds me of me in the 90′s – had bleached it and gone pillar box red, only to wash away after 2 washes leaving me with this horrible yellow and my normally dark brown hair. After a trial of henna, that was the colour. Sorta a patchouli smelling hippy red. In other words, not sexy at all.

Wednesday, May 11/2011 at 11:37 pm

OMG – I love “patchouli smelling” – that adjective tells me enough! Am so scared of henna even though I love the idea of it…