Celebrity Makeup Inspiration Bored with your makeup? 3 new and fun looks to try this weekend, courtesy of Anna Kendrick, Eva Mendes and Fergie

Anna Kendrick Time 100 Gala

It happens every year. As winter draws to a close, I realize that I am both a) terribly bored with my wardrobe, and b) seriously lacking in something—anything!—to update my look for the next season. And it’s the same thing with makeup. One day, you’re coasting along nicely with your typical wintery berry lip and taupey eyeshadow… and the next, you’re just not feelin’ it.

This is not to say that I’m recanting my post about the makeup essentials every woman should own. Just like those magazine articles on wardrobe investment pieces, the basics still form the foundation (zing!) of your entire look. (Although I always disagree when fashion editors advise more turtlenecks, white dress shirts and pantsuits—just the thought of waking up to that closet absolutely terrifies me.)

But my point is this: tell me if you haven’t purchased an absolutely outrageous pair of shoes (or so you thought at the time) that have ended up elevating every outfit and garnering more compliments than you thought possible. Well, the same thing goes for eyeshadow, and eyeliner and lipstick—except you might not even need to buy something new, just switch up the way you apply it.

Thankfully, celebs tend to go first with these things, so here are three lovely ladies that should help kick off some springtime beauty inspiration…

The Celeb: Anna Kendrick

The Look: Bronze eyeliner under the lower lashes

Anna Kendrick Time 100 Gala 2 Bored with your makeup? 3 new and fun looks to try this weekend, courtesy of Anna Kendrick, Eva Mendes and Fergie

The Lowdown: How gorgeous is THIS?!? At first glance, you don’t notice any makeup at all, actually—just the twinkling around her eyes. Except the twinkle comes from bronzey eyeliner, applied only on the bottom and not along the waterlines but underneath the lower lashes. I never would’ve thought to do this, but I think it’s absolutely genius. It’s perfect for those of us who can’t or won’t wear tons of eyeshadow, and I lurrrve how it brings so much light to her eyes. Pair with black mascara and a bit of brown shadow at the outer corners and upper lashline. It would work well with a gold or even silver, too.

The Celeb: Eva Mendes

The Look: Creamy coral lipstick

Eva Mendes Last Night premiere Bored with your makeup? 3 new and fun looks to try this weekend, courtesy of Anna Kendrick, Eva Mendes and Fergie

The Lowdown: So you might not be down for orange lipstick. I get that. But may I suggest this kick-ass coral shade instead? It’s as close to universally flattering as you’re going to get: not too orange, not too pink and will work with a wide range of skin tones. Also notice the wonderful way Ms. Mendes has paired it with a RED dress, which is a variation on the expert colour-mixing we witnessed with Cameron Diaz’s pink lipstick and red dress (although yes, Cammy was looking a bit less than fresh there). If there’s a lipstick shade for summer ’11, this is it.

This post has tons of reader product suggestions if you’re in the market for this colour (most of them on the pinkier side, but many readers suggested corals). You can also easily mix the shade yourself: I’ve had great results layering Cargo’s Plant Love lipsticks in Maria and Evangeline.

The Celeb: Fergie

The Look: Extreme winged eyeshadow

Fergie Beauty Detox Solution event Bored with your makeup? 3 new and fun looks to try this weekend, courtesy of Anna Kendrick, Eva Mendes and Fergie

The Lowdown: Like, whoa. This is so NOT me, and yet, I totally want to try it. It’s kind of the “go big or go home” version of the winged-out eyeliner look that we all know and love… this time, done with eyeshadow in an exaggerated (but still precise) point that extends up toward the temples. Notice how the wing is thick and angled all the way from the lower (not just upper) lashline. This is key, I think, to getting the look right—you want it to be strong and bold, not too flicky and feminine.

Obviously it’s not a look for the makeup novice (or the timid), but there IS one fairly easy way to cheat the look. You’re not going to get that artful curl at the top, but the effect will be pretty much the same. What you want to do is apply your smoky eye as normal, except concentrating the colour at the outer edges of course, as far out as you dare to go. THEN, the secret is to take away the product at the edges using eye makeup remover, applied in one diagonal swipe. Yep! That’s how you can achieve a perfectly straight line without the fuss of having to practice drawing it on yourself.

Last thing: whatever you do, please don’t emulate Sarah Jessica Parker’s “interesting” use of bronze eyshadow:

Sarah Jessica Parker The Normal Heart Bored with your makeup? 3 new and fun looks to try this weekend, courtesy of Anna Kendrick, Eva Mendes and Fergie

Yikes.

Are you feeling bored with your makeup lately?
Which of these three makeup looks is your fave?
What creative things have YOU been doing with your makeup these days? If you tell me you’ve been wearing SJP-style shadow, we can’t be friends.

Thomas
Thursday, April 28/2011 at 6:05 pm

WOW. I love Sarah Jessica Parker, I really do… But how did she her makeup artist ALLOW her to go out in public like that? And is it just me, or is she wearing orange lipliner?! Not a good look. Anna Kendrick’s look is so gorgeous! Just goes to show that less really is more.

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:27 am

Good catch! She IS wearing orange lipliner – I didn’t even notice, I was so blinded by the eye makeup. I’m guessing the shadow had to be deliberate and they were going for something “edgy.” #epicfail SJP – please see Anna K.

Meghan
Thursday, April 28/2011 at 6:43 pm

Love the bronze eyeliner, could help me since black liner makes me look ill. Any suggsstions for bronze eye liner brands?

Thomas
Thursday, April 28/2011 at 6:47 pm

I don’t know if this brand is sold where you are, but Barry M do slightly more dramatic glitter bronze liquid eyeliner – http://www.beautyfragrances.co.uk/products/Barry-M-Make-Up-%252d-Barry-M—Glitter-Liquid-Eye-Liner—Bronze—6.html

Thomas
Thursday, April 28/2011 at 7:12 pm

Just seen another one by Sephora in a eyepencil, Copper Electro – http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P170103

Elaine
Thursday, April 28/2011 at 7:30 pm

Urban Decay’s 24/7 liners have a few great metallic browns and bronzes

MAC’s Powerpoint eye pencil in Bountiful Brown is my personal favorite for colour, but the pencil is a lot stiffer than UD so it’s all about preference!

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:31 am

I second the Urban Decay reco – they have great staying power. The colour you want is Baked.

There is also a great bronze in the Yves Rocher waterproof liners I recommended in this vid: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/04/15/video-my-top-5-editors-picks-of-the-week-new-skincare-oil-controlling-primer-and-super-cheap-waterproof-liners-that-work/ It’s $12 so half the price of UD.

Arianne
Thursday, April 28/2011 at 9:02 pm

Meghan, you HAVE to get this Sephora waterproof pencil in Flashy Copper. It’s as creamy as the Urban Decay ones, and lasts just as long. :)

meghan
Friday, April 29/2011 at 8:59 am

Oh thanks, it’s half price online too :)

Nomadic D
Friday, April 29/2011 at 2:36 am

One of my all time favorite eyeliners is MAC eye khol in Powersurge. Try it, it’s perfection!

Lea
Saturday, April 30/2011 at 6:12 am

Hi,
Estee Lauder has a really nice eyeliner, Double Wear (Stay in Place Eye Pencil) in Bronze.

Nomadic D
Friday, April 29/2011 at 2:34 am

I’m a big fan of both the bronze eyeliner and the bronze eyeshadow look, I do ‘em both a lot, especially in warmer weather, but SJP is looking pretty scary to me. A shade too orange maybe? blech. Eva’s looking beautiful, absolutely. But the Fergie look to me is just a toned down Amy Winehouse, and we know that’s not a good thing.

Saturday, April 30/2011 at 11:34 am

I think the problem is mainly her skin itself, unfortch. Her eyelids are quite crepey, which obviously happens with age – and when you put something with any sort of shimmer or iridescence on top it only emphasizes it. If she wore a matte colour it would’ve looked way better. Perhaps the camera is picking it up more than in person.

Re: Fergie – I forgot to mention we saw a version of it before on Diana Agron. http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/02/14/grammy-awards-11-forget-gaga-and-minaj%E2%80%94has-lea-michele-ever-looked-this-fantastic-props-to-bffs-gwyneth-and-beyonce-too/ Do you still hate it because I think it looks kind of awesome!

Nomadic D
Saturday, April 30/2011 at 12:14 pm

No, the Diana Agron version is awesome, I’m with you on that. I think it’s because it’s more blended on the lid while staying sharp on the bottom edge. Like a smokey eye with a twist. Fergie’s just doesn’t work for me though, no matter how much I squint, I still just see a toned-down version of Amy Winehouse.

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 2:59 pm

Haha! Yep, I can see the Amy. Up close Fergie’s skin sorta resembles Amy’s as well… Say no to drugs!!

Nomadic D
Sunday, May 1/2011 at 3:45 pm

ha! that’s right kids, just say no!

Nicky Bromow
Friday, April 29/2011 at 3:06 pm

Spring is always time for a big haul for me, I am waiting for my Sephora colorplay eyeshadow palette to get going with fresh, inventive new looks! But the shipping takes forever to get my stuff here in Canada! I cant wait to ”colorplay”!

Tanya
Friday, May 6/2011 at 8:04 am

Oh, bronze liner is gorgeous! Thank you for the brilliant idea.
I also love coral lipstick (as well as coral blush, coral clothes, coral bags…), wear it for quite a long time and very happy!

daniel