Cannes ’11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now let’s all get on board!

Gwen Stefani The Tree of Life Cannes 2011

When you look at Gwen Stefani on a red carpet, you can appreciate why a celebrity like, say, Jennifer Aniston for example, will never be a beauty editor favourite.

Gwen is so exciting! So on trend! So willing to try new things—like ditch her signature red lipstick and slicked-back hair in favour of hot pink, vinyl-finish lips with ’70s disco-girl hair!

LOVE. Especially because the hair is the street version of a runway trend we first saw at Marc by Marc Jacobs for spring—and once it trickles down to celebrities, that means the time for us civilians to play copycat is now. (You do remember that I’ve been banging on about brushed-out curls—as opposed to piecy flat iron waves—for a while now?) It’s time, folks. Here’s what you need to know.

First, a quick look back at the original hair trend at Marc by Marc:

Marc by Marc Jacobs 2010 Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!

And here’s a slightly less curly version with more sultry makeup:

Marc by Marc Jacobs spring 2011 Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!

So obviously, unless your hair is close to this naturally, we don’t need to go QUITE as dramatic with the curls and frizz. (Who has the time?) Gwen’s texture is actually perfect.

And how do you get it? Well, not with these:

Conair Ion Shine Hot Rollers Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!

The thing with hot rollers is that most of the rollers are fairly big, which means they’re great for soft bouncy waves and retro hair looks like the ones that we’ve been seeing lately on other red carpets. But you would need to have an entire set made up of the four smallest ones in order to come close to the curl-tightness you need here… and even then, it would be hard to achieve because the heat won’t be evenly distributed along the hair shaft.

This is better:

rowenta proflatiron Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!If you’re handy with a flat iron, curling iron or something like the spiral iron I talked about in this vid, you can definitely achieve these tighter curls IF the barrel is small enough. (The curls will also last longer, FYI.) It’ll take you a while to do your entire head, so be patient, and work in small sections for best results. Also don’t start the curl until a few inches from the scalp—see how Gwen’s hair is flat on top? That’s the key to the ’70s look.

By far the easiest way, though, is with a bunch of these:

bobby pins1 Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!

and one of these:

Hermes scarf Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!

Yep, I’m talking about old-fashioned pin curls. I did ‘em one night on damp-ish hair before I went to bed, rolling and pinning small sections of hair all over my head before wrapping with a scarf, and I SWEAR the effect was far better (and easier) than working with heat tools.

Here’s a vid I came across that might help, if you’ve never done them before—as you can see, she uses big sections and doesn’t roll very tightly, but you can adjust the technique with smaller, tighter and even twisted sections if you want to get Gwen’s look.

Once they’re dry and set, take out the pins and brush, brush, brush! Then you can play with pinning back just the top parts, and you should end up looking like this:

Gwen Stefani Cannes 2011 2 Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!
Now all that’s left is to do your eye makeup (you might not want to go this heavy) and your great big shiny hot pink lips.

I was on a press trip last week to Montreal where you just KNEW beauty editors were in attendance because there were three women sporting these lips. In what other crowd would that happen? May I suggest the very reasonably priced Joe Fresh Matte Lipstick in Fuchsia (photo courtesy The Glitter Geek)…

joe fresh fuchsia lipstick Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!

… Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick in Fuchsia…

Revlon Colorburst Lipstick Fuchsia Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!…or NARS Lipstick in Schiap?

NARS lipstick Schiap Cannes 11: Gwen Stefani would like to show you The New Curls and The New Lip—now lets all get on board!

Slick on your most high-shine gloss on top, and you’re set!

Do you like Gwen’s new look?
Or do you think she should stick with her signature red lips and straighter hair?
Think you might try this trend—the curls, the lippie, or both—or is channeling the ’70s not for you?

Arianne
Tuesday, May 17/2011 at 12:51 pm

Oh gosh, I just saw this photo of Gwen on another blog and am so very in love. :) Thanks for the link love!

Monday, May 23/2011 at 6:10 pm

My pleasure! x

Thomas
Tuesday, May 17/2011 at 12:54 pm

Wow. I must say, personally I LOVE flat iron curls, the whole Ivy from 90210, beachy wavy hair thing is what I do every time I style my friend’s hair. But this is so glam, in a ever so slightly messy way! It’s like, not grunge (because who actually LIKES grunge anyway?? Or scene. So ugly) but you can so see it transitioning straight from Cannes to a nightclub! Very rare. Although I have to add – why does she look so old in the first picture, yet fabulously tanned and thirtysomething in the second?

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

Monday, May 23/2011 at 6:11 pm

Just the lighting! These aren’t retouched. Glad you love the hair too! I’m obsessed with it.

KF
Tuesday, May 17/2011 at 4:16 pm

Finally! Gwen wears something different than a red lip.

Tualetinis popierius
Wednesday, May 18/2011 at 8:09 am

I agree completely. And now she looks really great.

Kaite
Tuesday, May 17/2011 at 7:00 pm

(Not so) lucky for me my hair does this naturally. I guess that’s good at the moment since it’s in style but the rest of the time it’s super frustrating lol. Oh well I guess for now I can at least embrace it and give my hair a break from the heat styling…silver lining right haha.

Monday, May 23/2011 at 6:12 pm

Hey I’m jealous! You don’t like? Even if you flatten out the top and pull the front pieces off to one side, like Gwen did here? I lurrrrve this look.

Nomadic D
Wednesday, May 18/2011 at 9:14 am

I LOVE the hair!! And yes, pin curls are the way to go. My grandmother used to do them on me when I was little and I’ve always loved them. Mostly too lazy to do anything with my hair these days, but I agree that it’s much easier and more effective than messing with rollers and/or curling irons. Love pink lips too, though it’s kind of freaking me out how in the first photo it looks like she went outside her natural lipline. I hate it when people do that. And yeah, I agree with Thomas, that first photo is not flattering at all, makeup so caked-on and dull-looking. The second one is much better, but I’m thinking this is because it’s slightly less focused and there’s warmer light on her face.

Monday, May 23/2011 at 6:14 pm

Well she IS 41. But yeah, it’s just different lighting and no retouching – you can see what a difference it makes! I agree, I wish her lipstick was slightly less overdrawn.

Beauty Lover
Wednesday, May 18/2011 at 1:16 pm

Love the hair. Love the lips. But, am I a bitch to say that her face looks cakey and her eyes look wrinkley.

Sorry! Just sayin’.

Monday, May 23/2011 at 6:15 pm

I know, I know – we were all thinking it. I still forgive her, I love the overall look so much.

QuiteLight
Wednesday, May 18/2011 at 3:31 pm

I’m sorry, I find the hair terrifying. I’m at a loss for words. Why would anyone want their hair to look like that?!

Monday, May 23/2011 at 6:17 pm

Oh really? Do you not even like the runway versions? http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/hair-articles/runway-hairstyles-spring-2011

QuiteLight
Tuesday, May 24/2011 at 1:13 pm

No, sorry! I think it’s Interesting, in a visual sense, but not attractive. Gwen’s is MUCH better than the runway versions; the runway versions looks frizzy & crispy to me. Gwen’s at least has some definition, and it is nice to see curls again.

But I’m not a fan of the ’70′s looks in general, and am tired of seeing them rehashed repeatedly whenever designers are feeling uninspired. Show me something really new!

Melissa
Thursday, May 19/2011 at 11:25 pm

So quick question — is Gwen’s cupid’s bow really that wide and shallow? Or is it a case of bad lipstick application or (dare I say) bad plastics? I’ve just never noticed it so much before, and it looks unusual.

Monday, May 23/2011 at 6:21 pm

Possibly it could be filler… otherwise her MUA drew an exaggerated lip shape to make her mouth look fuller for the red carpet. If you Google Image Search her, especially older pics, her upper lip is pretty thin naturally. But I agree, it never looked this off with the red lipstick.