Hairs on your face (including that ‘stache) are best removed with thread, not wax. Or you could use this tool, which is the BOMB.

moustache woman

So I’m having a mini-crisis here, and it has to do with my eyebrows. You see, my esthetician (or as I call her, “my eyebrow lady”) is about to go on mat leave. Until September, tomorrow is the last time she’ll be wielding a piece of thread in her mouth to coax my eyebrows into shape. And even though she’s only taking, like, four months off, I’m already nervous and worried and not at all sure I can trust her replacement (who, let’s face it, would have clients of her own if she was anywhere near as good at doing brows—right?). So the search begins, because I am one of those people who requires monthly professional brow maintenance and (as you might have gathered) I am super-picky about who does it.

Anyway! Since facial hair is top of mind for me right now, I thought it HIGH TIME I did a post on my philosophy when it comes to this area of female grooming. Let’s talk about brows, let’s talk about moustaches, let’s talk about peach fuzz. This is what I advise.

FOR YOUR BROWS, TWEEZING AND THREADING ARE BETTER THAN WAXING.

eyebrow tweezing Hairs on your face (including that stache) are best removed with thread, not wax. Or you could use this tool, which is the BOMB.

Besides the fact that it’s always freaked me out to get hot wax slathered so close to my eyes, there are a few other problems with wax as a facial hair removal method:

1. Obviously the biggie is that it can be IRRITATING. I used to require tons of concealer and powder post-waxing session just to calm down my skin, which would be red for hours. I’d also often get little bumps or even breakouts in that area, which is sort of a buzzkill when you’ve just plonked down $30 to make your brows look nice.

2. There is also the issue of tugging and pulling at the delicate skin, which they say over time can cause WRINKLES. Whoever “they” are, I’m going to take “their” word for it.

3. And of course, if you are using prodz like Retin-A, your skin will PEEL RIGHT OFF with the wax. Yowza! I’ve done this, and it’s highly unpleasant.

Threading, on the other hand, doesn’t come with these problems—and with the right practitioner, can be way more precise than wax. You kind of need to see it in action to understand how it works, so check out this vid:

Let’s all just ignore the fact that they are threading those chicks’ brows waaay too thin. A full brow is a stylish brow, folks. Which is why you really need to take the time to find a good esthetician. And why I’m in a panic, but yes, we talked about that already.

Anyway, my lady has been doing a combo of threading and tweezing* on me for maybe six years now, and I’ve nevah evah had anywhere close to the irritation I got with waxing. The only potential problem is if your esthetician pushes down too much with the thread—she could leave you with diagonal thread indentations, which take a couple of days to go down. But trust me: an expert won’t do this, so if it happens, go somewhere else.

* Tweezing only is actually ideal, if you can find someone who does this. I know there are quite a few NYC brow gurus who work this way because they say that even threading isn’t precise enough. Then again, they also charge US$50 and up.

But enough about brows! Go forth and find yourself a good threader lady. And if you have additional facial hair removal needs, keep reading…

UNLESS YOU LASER OR GET ELECTROLYSIS, I RECOMMEND THIS BAD BOY FOR YOUR ‘STACHE.

Epicare Hairs on your face (including that stache) are best removed with thread, not wax. Or you could use this tool, which is the BOMB.

This is called Epicare, and it’s basically a flexible metal Slinky-like device that you bend and roll to remove hair right from the root, like this:

Epicare woman Hairs on your face (including that stache) are best removed with thread, not wax. Or you could use this tool, which is the BOMB.

I never touch my upper lip (because my eyebrow lady promised to notify me when “I need to,” and also because apparently once you start you can’t stop?!), however I HAD to try this. Super easy and fast, and as long as you can deal with the mild pain (oh man up will you?) it’s an amazing hair removal method because it’s basically like at-home threading. Except without the thread.

I would never do my brows with this—it’s not precise/controllable enough—but for anywhere else on the face, it would be amazing! Here’s a vid showing how it’s done:

You can order it from here; just $14.99 and they ship free in Canada.

A quick word on other facial hair removal methods: I’m obviously an advocate of permanent methods such as laser or electrolysis, if your situation warrants them. But say no to bleach please—even though Sally Hansen and Jolen and Andrea make really easy-to-use home bleach kits that I’ve used on my arm hairs, for example (although now I just epilate)—they can irritate AND you’re still stuck with a ‘stache. Just a blonde ‘stache. Using wax or a depilatory (which removes hair just slightly below the skin’s surface) is better, but you do still risk the irritation problem, as well as becoming a victim of this term in the Urban Dictionary.

(Although BREAKING NEWS! I can’t tell you much about it yet, but a mayjah brand is coming out with a breakthrough non-irritating depilatory kit this fall. More on that soon… But for now, my pick is definitely Epicare.)

Do you wax, thread or tweeze your brows?
What about the rest of your face—if you need to take care of business, how do you dewit?
PS: Hit me up in the comments if you know of a good threader in the Toronto area! Actually, make that all of Canada—readers need to know!

La La
Wednesday, May 25/2011 at 7:10 pm

this is SUCH a timely post as I have been wanting to discuss brows for sometime now! being black i have certain unique brow issues (re. stubborn, stubborn curly brow hair) add to this that where i’m from in africa women normally use small razors to do their eyebrows and because my mother was a proponent of this method and of course passed this tradition down to me, i now have sort of sparse looking brows…anyways…i’ve totally done the threading thing and been to numerous brow specialists and even considered having them tattooed on…there is NO one who does my brows better than a woman named cathy at l’attitudes in the eaton centre…seriously…they are very precisely waxed and then she meticulously tweezes the ones which the wax can’t pick up…she is the only brow woman to ever realize that thick eyebrows when you have an eyebrow hair texture like mine look horribly unkept if not enough hair is taken off she just gets it and i adore her…i totally get your feelings about your brow guru…if mine ever went away i would go into high anxiety mode… i can’t even imagine how you’re feeling…i will keep my fingers crossed that her replacement is as good as she is or that you’ll find someone wonderful in the interim…i’ve had my brows threaded by natalie at gee beauty in rosedale and she did a wonderful job (they were just a little bit on the thick side for my taste but to be fair she was squeezing me in and we didn’t have much time to discuss my brow vision)

wow and i can’t believe i just typed all of this with such fervor regarding eyebrows..i am so sad

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:09 pm

No eyebrows are important, maybe the most important thing on your face! We totally share the obsession.

I used to go to Gee — they have a great space — but unfortunately left me with those thread lines on my face every time…. :-(

Zahra
Wednesday, May 25/2011 at 7:15 pm

I’d HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the ladies at the Benefit Brow Bar at Holt Renfrew if you’re from Toronto. Those girls are genius and helped me bring my brows back from the land of Over-Tweezed. I’ve never had a better eyebrow grooming experience!

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:09 pm

Remind me, do Benefit wax or just tweeze only? I know Gimped raves about them as well.

Zahra
Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:45 pm

They wax, thread and tweeze. Most pain free experience I’ve ever had :)

Gimped
Tuesday, May 31/2011 at 10:34 pm

They thread? REALLY?!? I know they tweeze, but I didn’t know about the threading. I would love to go back to threading (I know waxing isn’t the best idea) but I don’t trust anyone else to touch my brows except the Benefit gals.

Jess
Wednesday, May 25/2011 at 8:18 pm

Just ordered the epicare – exactly what I never knew I needed!

I have the most amazing brow lady in Sydney, Australia – she just tweezes and like Zahra – has brought my brows back from the land of Overtweezed. Brows really are so important, they just frame your whole face and make you look polished.

Lindsay
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 3:27 am

hey! im in wollongong, where abouts in sydney is this lady, i must see her :)

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:12 pm

Yay Australians! I used to live there (Sydney) so I totally know where Wollongong is. I used to get my brows done at Ciao Bella in Darlinghurst, are they even in business anymore?

Lindsay
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 3:26 am

ive always just tweezed my own (and i think i do an olright job, my mom is always begging me to do hers haha ;)- but this makes me curious, does it really make that much of a difference getting them professionally done? i dont have much to work with, i pull out one wrong hair and it seems that im back to slimtown :( i try to fill them in with pencil a bit… what do the brow gurus advise for getting thicker brows? ive heard using like a rogain/hair club for men product (ridiculous?!), does that work?? always been a bit scared to try :S
not sure why they stay so thin, i swear i never tweeze anymore- they have nearly stopped growing! boo. maybe i should find a brow lady??

Claire
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 11:21 am

Lindsay, I’m in the same boat as you. I have sparse, medium blonde, and slow-growing eyebrow hair. I only tweeze away the stuff that’s really out of place but don’t have enough to really make a good contour. If not for the help of makeup, it almost looks like I have no brows at all. Would love some advice on how to thicken up without getting scary bushy, Michelle!

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:17 pm

Here’s a post I did last year on how to get fuller-looking brows with makeup! http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/07/02/twestion-time-how-can-i-get-fuller-eyebrows-like-jessica-stam/

Otherwise as I said to Lindsay, your options would be an over the counter lash enhancer applied to the brows… or Latisse by prescription.

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:15 pm

Yes I think so! I’m a big proponent of professional shaping – at least the first time and then some people can just maintain at home. Some of us however still need to go every month because we just can’t replicate the look ourselves. (I think it has to do with taking some hair off the top of the brow, which can be tricky, and also trimming… I can never DIY properly.)

Re: growing your brows – definitely try one of the lash enhancing mascaras (a clear one) on your brows as they can help restore the hair. (The Urban Decay MUA talks about that in this vid: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/04/20/video-is-it-spring-already-here-are-5-makeup-essentials-to-invest-in-now/) Otherwise Latisse is supposed to work on brows! I just started using it so will keep you updated – am putting some on my brows where they are a bit sparse so fingers crossed!

Nomadic D
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 5:01 am

I’m a huge threader. I absolutely love it. I have very full brows and never used to do much with them, but on the urging of a friend of mine in nyc I had them threaded and I am totally hooked. I always say to not change the shape or thin them out at all, just clean them up, and I’ve never been done wrong, no matter where I go. They get all those teeny tiny hairs that are so fine even wax won’t get them, and you wouldn’t think it’d make such a difference but it really cleans up and brightens your entire face. I also get my upper lip threaded, which I have mixed results with, sometimes the irritation goes away in an hour (I have super sensitive skin), but sometimes I get really irritated and have to deal with breakouts that last 3-4 days. I think it may be connected to my menstrual cycle, to be frank, but I haven’t quite figured out the magical formula.

I am FASCINATED by that epicare thingie! You actually tried it? How much did it hurt? How well did it work? (though I’m guessing you don’t actually have much hair to worry about) Maybe I should give that a go… I’m curious but I’m also kind of a sissy about pain, especially the self-inflicted kind

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:21 pm

Well it’s not painless but I didn’t think it was terrible either… pretty much exactly like using an epilator, if you’ve ever done that? (Although maybe epilating has given me a higher pain tolerance now, not sure!) I thought it worked really well – it removes a bunch of hairs at once so you don’t really need to go over the same area. And it’s fast!

Nomadic D
Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:29 pm

I used an epilator for a few years before I went laser, and I was ok with it, but that was on my legs, not my delicate face! At that price I guess it’s worth try though…

Thomas
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 11:34 am

I actually used to wax just the middle part between my eyebrows to avoid that unfortunate, stereotypically male unibrow look. It made my skin go horrible and dry, it was awful, so now I tweeze. MUCH better! I have actually seen the threading, there is a whole sort of standalone mini salon in the middle of my nearest shopping centre, and it looks really strange! Still. I guess it must be good!

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:23 pm

Good call on the tweezing! I don’t think guys need to thread if they’re just doing unibrow stuff. And overly shaped brows on men really just scare me.
Case in point… this guy: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/fashion/perdis-takes-on-the-trump/story-e6frfn7i-1111116848455

LMC1971
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 12:05 pm

I’m a life-long “do it yourself” tweezer. Recently, I felt like I could use some professional intervention LOL so I did lots of net research and came across Irena @Robin Barker as being the best threader in the city. I’ve been to her twice and I absolutely LOVE the results….she is the first and last person I will let touch my brows. Best, LMC191

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:25 pm

Thanks! I keep hearing great things about Irena – so she’s probably who I will try next!

Lesa
Saturday, May 28/2011 at 12:55 am

IRENA!!! It’s time you check her out, yo!

Alyssa
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 12:45 pm

My only complaint with threading is as you’ve stated, it’s impossible to find a woman who leaves them thick (the video is a great example of that!). And my problem with waxing is that I too get those red pimple-like bumps around my brows after. What works for me is that I’ve found a woman who strongly advocates a thick brow (she’s turned me down if she felt my brows weren’t in need of help!), she uses some kind of wax that has neva eva irritated my skin, and I only go maybe once every 3 months and pluck my own one or two stray hairs once a week. Keeps my brows shaped and full and my wallet full too!

As far as moustaches and body hair, well I’m a quarter middle eastern so don’t get me started on that!

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:26 pm

I know, right? I think I had a bad dream last night about that video and wondering if the replacement brow lady will make my brows all anorexic like those poor girls’. Yikes!

Alyssa
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 12:52 pm

oh and I highly reccommend Michelle at got beauty in sugarhouse, Utah!

bevfred
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 1:49 pm

You might want to try Natalie at Gee Beauty.
Great for eyebrows,cool place, but a little pretentious.

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:27 pm

They left me with deep thread marks, unfortch. (From pressing too hard.) Would take a couple of days to go down, so really annoying. I also always found it a bit off-putting to be on that brow chair in the middle of the store. I like a private brow experience!

Ann
Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:47 pm

I agree! Getting my brows done in front of strangers was weird. I didn’t think she spent enough time on my brows either. I’ve never gone back.

Elaine
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 2:17 pm

this might seem like a weird suggestion but i have only gotten my brows waxed once to get a good shape, and then maintained my brows by myself.every other morning (yes, three times a week) i find the little stubbly pieces and only pluck those with tweezers. this way i keep my shape and don’t massacre my own brows because i’m only pulling the hairs that aren’t supposed to be there. They stay nice and thick!

this might be a way to ride out the 4 months without your beloved brow master!!!

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:29 pm

I SO wish I could do that… but the DIY never turns out properly for me. I do maintain at home still, but I need the expert trimming and shaping. I can always tell when the 4 weeks are up and I’m due for an appointment because my brows just look… off. I know, I’m picky!

Chelsea
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 8:40 pm

How have I never seen this Epicare thingie yet! Thanks for nothing, Allure magazine.

I’m getting one pronto since waxing makes me break out, and my hair is too light and fine for lasers.

Thanks, Michelle!

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:30 pm

My pleasure! Let me know how you like it!

skybluesky
Thursday, May 26/2011 at 10:31 pm

I understand your pain of having to find a replacement person…the thought of finding someone else to fill that void is harrowing! I am not being sarcastic…I think I told you around the winter holidays that I was busy so I made an appointment at my usual salon, but with a different person…and ended up with two different eyebrows…two different shapes and two different thicknesses. Thankfully, my regular lady saved me and my eyebrows.

She keeps my eyebrows the way I like them…nicely groomed but naturally thick. She uses a soft wax and she buffers my skin with aromatic oils (lavender and/or jasmine?) before applying the wax. Then she spends a lot of time tweezing and trimming my eyebrows. She’s great and her technique is finely honed.

I’m about to move across the country in a few months so I will have to find a new person and make an appointment when I visit my parents’ home during the holidays. I know that I could just maintain the shape myself, but I have thick but sparse Asian hair…my eyebrows are caterpillarish without outside intervention.

I’ve heard lots of great things about threading, but I wouldn’t want too much taken off my brows!

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:33 pm

Oh my gosh you’re moving across the country? That’s exciting!! Except the panic about beauty services :-) I swear this is why I don’t move to another city/country… I’ve been there, done that, and I can’t handle the wrong people touching my face/hair.

Good grief re: the two different eyebrows. Between that and the threading video I’m getting a little anxious here. :-)

skybluesky
Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:35 pm

Nooo don’t get scared…you might find someone better than your usual brow groomer! :D

I’m moving to Denver, Colorado…so I will be getting much better access to all my beloved products!

Susie
Friday, May 27/2011 at 10:45 am

I love Irena at Robin Barker salon in Yorkville. She trims, threads, and then tweezes to make sure you’ve got the perfect brow. It’s about $35.

Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:33 pm

That’s two votes for Irena! And I know a few editor friends love her too. Done!

Gimped
Tuesday, May 31/2011 at 10:37 pm

Keep us posted on how it goes, Michelle! I’d love to know more about it.

Hanna
Friday, May 27/2011 at 2:40 pm

Who is your eyebrow lady now, Michelle? I’d like to add her to my eyebrow rolodex and book her when she gets back from mat leave!

Sunday, June 26/2011 at 2:07 pm

Her name is Anita and she works out of Dr. Motakis’ office (plastic surgeon on Avenue Rd). But I just tried Irena at Robin Barker and she is AMAZING… bit pricier but I have never experienced such attention to detail, and she gave me a slightly softer shape.

frecklesspeckles
Friday, May 27/2011 at 5:53 pm

I can’t stand the pain so I shave on a regular basis using those mini brow shaver… i wonder if it has any side effects?

Sunday, June 26/2011 at 2:08 pm

But don’t you get stubble? I don’t find threading painful at all…

Grace
Monday, May 30/2011 at 3:59 am

I gots one of those (well two actually, one’s a backup)! Although I think mine are called episticks :) Perfect for the stache area, I agree! For eyebrows I find that the traditional tweezers work the best for me…cheap too :)

Jenn
Monday, May 30/2011 at 11:39 am

Debbie at Concepts (Hudson Bay Centre) threads and does a nice job – maybe a little thin but talented. She also despises missed hairs so she gets in there and tweezes like a woman possessed if she happens to miss anything. She also has great techniques for reducing the pain level through precise finger placement (yours, not hers) above and over the eye. That was my problem with Gee Beauty’s brow services – it felt like she was cutting off my skin and I have a HIGH pain threshold.

La La
Monday, May 30/2011 at 8:02 pm

i thought i was the only one who found my threading experience there to be a little more painful than expected….and i definitely have a high pain threshold…i mean…i actually enjoy being tattooed and can sit for 2-3 hour sessions of that with NO problem but my threading session actually had me cringing just a little bit

Sunday, June 26/2011 at 2:09 pm

Yes Irena does that too – makes you help stretch the skin with your fingers so she can really get in there.

Morgan
Monday, May 30/2011 at 12:36 pm

Ellie at The Brow House in Leslieville is also amazing. They don’t wax there (unless you want them too) They only tweeze and ‘get’ the whole full brow thing (with a name like Brow House, you have to be on top of eyebrow trends, right?)

Gimped
Tuesday, May 31/2011 at 10:46 pm

I wax my brows and am in the process of lasering my upper lip.

My brows … I never knew what a good brow looked like until I started going to the Benefit Brow Bar. I also had no idea they were so screwed up either! lol!!

My lip … I never used to touch it, but have a few hairs that are annoying and bother me so I snagged a deal on one of the deal sites for half off the laser lip treatment. I’ve got 2 sessions left, but you won’t be able to tell how effective it is until after you stop your treatments altogether. I did laser on my underarms at the same place — thought it was all gone, then after my final appointment when the hair had more time to grow out I noticed there wasn’t nearly as much removed as I had hoped. There WAS a decrease. 90% like the woman said? Definitely not. I’m hoping the lip doesn’t do the same thing, otherwise I’ll be investing in one of those Epicare things. This better not turn into a mistake!!!

Sunday, June 26/2011 at 2:13 pm

Yeah I don’t know about laser… I tried it a few years ago (on bikini/underarms) but bailed after 4 sessions as it was so painful and I would have needed way more sessions (since my hair and my skin are fairly light… more contrast is better). I think technology has improved since then but I’m not sure about lasers getting every last hair – it’s more an overall “reduction.” For upper lip I think something like electrolysis might be better as it’s more precise.

Kharina
Wednesday, June 1/2011 at 5:51 pm

I’ve done my own brows since the age of 18. I can say with pride that they are awesome brows, so awesome that the Benefit Brow Bar girls say they don’t need touching. I pluck mine and lightly trim (they grow very long, I’m practically a schnauzer). I love them. :)

Sunday, June 26/2011 at 2:13 pm

Lucky you!! I wish I could do my own… I don’t have the skills.

marta
Wednesday, June 8/2011 at 9:16 am

I pluck mine every day. I mean it. They never stop growing. It took me 10 years to get them into an acceptable shape and now I love them but geez they are high maintenance! Plucking every day and trimming weekly. I loved the ‘schnauzer’ comment haha I named mine ‘Shrek’ brows, so you get the idea.

Chris
Thursday, June 16/2011 at 10:12 am

This little gadget is AMAZING — I ordered it as soon as I saw your review – can’t believe how well it works – so cheap – AND it saves me $15 every 6 weeks for a quick upper lip threading! I ordered the little storage pouch too – very handy. Thanks so much for the info ……..

Sunday, June 26/2011 at 2:14 pm

Hooray! Glad you like it!

Jenna
Saturday, June 25/2011 at 7:29 am

I ordered one of the epicare devices from a US company (on your advice – you should get commission on all these orders!), still awaiting for it to arrive (damn you, Chilean volcano ash!) Can’t wait to see how it works. I usually wax my ‘stash, and it removes hair really well,but it does cause breakouts.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:04 pm

Let me know how it goes!

Jenna
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 4:44 am

My mail arrived today! I find its easy to use (though I’m a little un-coordinated, so I can already tell I’ll get better with use). It removes the hair well, and with practice I’m sure I’ll get better! It does cause some redness when the hair is pulled out, but it subsides within 5 mins, which is good. I can definitely feel the difference on my skin too – waxing pulls at it, but there is no pulling on the skin (just the individual hairs). The pain is not bad, and different to waxing. This feels more like pinching, or plucking, and with waxing you feel both the hair removal, and abrasion on the skin. I think it will take a little getting used to, but over time I won’t notice it as much. Thanks for the tip! I’m glad I have this cool device!

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:31 pm

Awesome – glad it’s working for you!

alecia
Saturday, September 3/2011 at 4:18 pm

Threading is a great alternative to waxing. I use Retin A too and had the horrid experience of my skin being ripped off my face getting my chin waxed.

Lauren Taylor
Tuesday, September 6/2011 at 11:19 pm

I have the Bellabe, which is made in USA. Customer service is great. I ordered from their website. What’s nice about the Bellabe is that it comes in a tube so I can store my Bellabe after each use. It works great and I use it on my upper lip, chin and the peach fuzz on my cheeks. My hair is growing out finer too.

Sarah Feldman
Sunday, January 8/2012 at 1:42 pm

Best threading i’ve ever received – Petals Esthetics on Yonge Street in Thornhill. Your brows will look like a million bucks.

Chelsea
Thursday, August 8/2013 at 5:44 pm

I actually hugely disagree that people should avoid waxing. When done properly waxing is just as effective as threading. Tweezing is fine for maintenance but for people with lighter hair it is great to clean the fine light hairs for percision. I am an eyebrow expert and have worked as a trainer for a top company. The people who are not trained give people like myself a bad name. Through the technique, products and methods I use, my clients NEVER leave with irritated skin.

The end result is a beautiful brow with the same precision a threader can achieve (yes it IS possible!) with lines that enhance the frame of the face. AND NO overtime it will not cause wrinkles.

Whatever you chose to do is great- it’s your choice, but remember there are pros out there who know how to create the best frame you desire safely, comfortably and effectively!

Here is what I do to ensure results:

1. Wax Tempture:
People generally react to waxing because the wax is head MUCH too hot. This causes an instant irritation, can cause blisters and lift the skin. My wax pot is on a scale of 1 to 10 and I NEVER heat it hotter than a level 3. This is a huge way to perform a gentler wax.

2. Wax Application:
Many aestheticians apply the wax thicker than it should be like the way would butter bread. This can cause bubbles beneath the skin and wax and between the wax strip and wax. This bubbling can unnecessarily pull at the skin and cause a reaction or lifting. Wax should be applied by the stick at an angle that ensure it is paper thin and NO air bubbles. This also ensure going as close as possible to the brow and therefore create perfect lines. It should then easily pull hair from the root with ease and comfort.

3. Size of Sections Waxed:
Most people wax the brow each brow in 3 sections. Waxing the brow in such large sections prevents their aesthetician from holding the skin taught so it doesn’t pull. By breaking apart each brow into 5 small sections, this ensure that the skin will easily be held taught. It also helps to ensure an accurate shape.

4. Products Used:
The best products used to facial hair are cream based waxes. The ones I prefer to use are titanium dioxide waxes. You want a wax that adheres to the hair NOT the skin.

5. Sanitation, Hygiene and Safety:
When waxing you are pulling the hair from the follicle, so these practices are critical! If poor practices are in place such as double dipping, poor hygiene and sanitation, these can be a reason why you have reacted as well. An aesthetician should use a new stick EACH time they dip it into the wax pot and apply it to skin. You should also use a new wax paper each time!

6. Pre and Post Care:
A consultation should always be conducted to ensure that it is SAFE to wax. When using retinol and acutane you should NOT wax at all. After skin treatments such as micro, laser and peels you should postpone your treatments or NOT wax at all.

Also prepping the skin with an antiseptic such as witch hazel is great to clean the skin before and after. Some people like a soothing cream with aloe post treatment.

I came across this blog doing some research so it’s great to see opinions where people like to go in the city!

Enjoy your brows!

Irene Smith
Sunday, July 6/2014 at 1:43 pm

I had my eyebrows done with electrolysis 30 years ago and they still look as good as they did then. But it didn’t work so well on my chin. I don’t have much of a moustache, but my chin is covered with dark hair. It has been getting worse over the past 15 years and now I’ve got a bunch of white hair too. I’ve been debating between threading and waxing because it is REALLY difficult to find someone to do threading where I live. I was leaning towards waxing because I can find that service but after reading your post, I’m thinking of plucking until I can find someone to do threading for me.