Reader question: If I’m supposed to re-apply sunscreen every two hours (eeks!), how do I dewit without mucking up my makeup?

sunglasses girl

Yesterday, I announced the official arrival of Self-Tanner Time. (As well as Hammer Time, but that’s neither here nor there.) And y’all know what comes hand in hand with faux tanning: a liberal and frequent application of sunscreen. Now, technically, if I may do the beauty editor preachy thing here, you guys should be wearing this stuff year-round—even if we do live in a country where we’re lucky if the sun comes out between November and March. But summer is obviously more cruel, UV-wise, and so it’s extra important to slip, slap, slop (as they say Down Under) EVERY TWO HOURS… even if you’re only stepping outside for 10 minutes to grab your lunch.

Yep, whether you’re using an SPF 6 (you really shouldn’t) or an SPF 20 million (okay, they really only go up to 110 now), They.All.Only.Last.Two.Hours. Got it? So even if you’ve applied in the morning, it will have worn off by mid-day, which means that 10 minutes you’re walking around outside at lunch can both age and burn, baby.

Here’s where the “but” comes in. (You knew it was coming.) Let’s be realistic. We all love makeup here. We all like to look purty. And sorry derms, but we’re just not down with slathering on some greasy, thick, oily sunscreen that’s going to ruin our expertly applied primer, foundation, concealer and iridescent complexion illuminator (!). Sure, we’ll diligently apply our SPF in the morning, but at lunchtime? Ain’t gonna happen.

So what’s a girl to do? This is the dilemma presented to yours truly by reader Joanna, who writes:

Hi Michelle! After years of not caring about the effects of UV rays, I plan to use my sunscreen religiously this summer. However, after reading some of your sunscreen posts, I know that sunscreen doesn’t last for more than 2 hours, regardless of the SPF level. This is problematic for people who wear makeup as I don’t know think anyone is going to wash their make up off and reapply every 2 hours. One recommendation you made was using something like the Colorscience mineral powder foundation which has a built-in SPF. However, you don’t seem to be a fan of mineral powders lately AND I don’t want to add more make up to my face when I’m just looking to apply sunscreen. Are there any sunscreen products on the market that can be applied throughout the day which won’t ruin my makeup or add more makeup to my face?? Please help!! icon smile Reader question: If Im supposed to re apply sunscreen every two hours (eeks!), how do I dewit without mucking up my makeup?

First of all, a hearty round of applause for Joanna’s newfound commitment to SPF. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: no derm is capable of having a conversation about aging without mentioning sunscreen as the number one most important thing you can do as prevention. Trust me—the number of these interviews I’ve done is probably well into the triple-digits by now. If you don’t wanna look old, you simply MUST wear it.

I think it’s time for me to do my annual posting of the old wrinkly beach lady, don’t you?

old wrinkly beach lady Reader question: If Im supposed to re apply sunscreen every two hours (eeks!), how do I dewit without mucking up my makeup?

But now to the issue at hand. Rather handily, I DO have some suggestions for getting around the SPF thingie without wrecking your makeup! Because I like nothing more than to be servicey, obvs.

1. COLORESCIENCE SUNFORGETTABLE SPF 30 MINERAL POWDER

sunforgettable Reader question: If Im supposed to re apply sunscreen every two hours (eeks!), how do I dewit without mucking up my makeup?

This is a supremely lightweight, portable mineral powder with built-in SPF 30 that comes in, as you can see, three shades. (Well, technically “All Clear” is a non-shade.) You might remember the Colorescience brand from when I raved about it here, and so I can attest from a couple years’ of use that these powders are TOPS. Even if I did say I’m a little bit against both mineral powders in general as well as re-applying mineral powders over the rest of your makeup throughout the day.

Let me tell you why these get a pass: they’re crazy, crazy lightweight. So much so that when I first got my sample, I was convinced there was some inner packaging I didn’t dismantle—I really did think that the powder wasn’t dispensing because I couldn’t see it! (Finally I convinced myself something was happening by dusting it all over my hands… eventually they got a little dry.) So if that doesn’t scream “perfect solution to the sunscreen application problem,” I don’t know what does. Find these at physicians offices and medispas (for locations call 1-800-668-5236); price is $63 but it should last you a long time.

2. PURE + SIMPLE RAINFOREST PRESSED POWDER FOUNDATION

pure+simple pressed powder Reader question: If Im supposed to re apply sunscreen every two hours (eeks!), how do I dewit without mucking up my makeup?

I’ve been using this compact for years (okay, I think I’m on my third now)—even though, as I said, I’m “against” mineral powder. Just super-handy to have around when you want to be kind to your skin… or you need a sunscreen! How about that.

Now, technically Pure + Simple does not claim the SPF content because they haven’t had them tested for SPF coverage. The amount of sunscreen ingredients varies by colour but ranges from 1-5 percent zinc oxide and 5-20 percent titanium dioxide, just to give you a ballpark. Their closest competitor, formula-wise, is the Jane Iredale Pressed Powder Foundation, which has 3 percent zinc oxide and 17 percent titanium dioxide and is rated an SPF 20.

I don’t know about you, but that info’s good enough for me! I like this one when I need a bit more coverage. And funnily enough, I actually prefer it over the Jane Iredale, which I DID end up buying but is a bit too heavy and powdery for my liking. You should have no problem putting the Pure + Simple powder all over your regular makeup without messing it up… just don’t dewit too many times or I’ll have to send the Cakey Face Makeup Police after you.

3. PERRICONE MD NO FOUNDATION FOUNDATION SPF 30

Perricone MD No Foundation Foundation Reader question: If Im supposed to re apply sunscreen every two hours (eeks!), how do I dewit without mucking up my makeup?

Everybody’s talking about this one lately! At least in beauty circles, which is where I roll. I was lucky enough to get my hot little hands on a sample, and can tell you that it’s pretty impressive indeed. I liken it to a VERY light tinted moisturizer—like the lightest tinted moisturizer you’ve ever used. It has just a slight tint (a universal one, so you don’t have to worry about finding your perfect shade) and would be just fab over top of any regular makeup to get you all dewy and glowy but not greasy. (OR you might just want to use this instead of your other prodz, it’s that good.) What is also awesome is that the SPF is non-chemical (notice a theme here?) and you get bonus anti-aging ingredients such as alpha-lipoic acid and DMAE. I love me some Perricone… he’s a very smart man.

(In a pinch, however, probably any lightweight tinted moisturizer would work too as a midday sun protection fix…)

4. MURAD OIL-CONTROL MATTIFIER SPF 15

Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF 15 Reader question: If Im supposed to re apply sunscreen every two hours (eeks!), how do I dewit without mucking up my makeup?

This one is purely for the normal-to-oily skin types out there, because what it’s going to do is mop up your shine while adding a layer of invisible SPF protection. Now, mattifiers can be drying and you will need to put it all over your face (other than the eye area), so tread carefully with this one. It would be nice if it came in a higher SPF too (derms like at least a 30), but it’s better than nothing.

Tell me:

Did you know sunscreens only last two hours?
If you did know this, then do you ever actually re-apply?
Yes? Then tell us what you use! Ain’t much out there in terms of options…

skybluesky
Thursday, June 2/2011 at 6:12 pm

Great post! I’ve heard good things about Peter Thomas Roth’s powder SPFs…they are talc-free! I believe there are three kinds on Sephora (one is even for oily skin and has salicylic acid in it!).

Lesa
Thursday, June 2/2011 at 7:32 pm

That one has actually been flagged for being loose, which if inhaled could be bad..

Nomadic D
Friday, June 3/2011 at 2:11 am

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I have this and love it for the summertime, it is the only way I’ll ever reapply sunscreen (unless I’m at the beach). It’s perfect for after a workout or something like that too when you’ve sweated a lot off and you could use some sunscreen and a little powder touch-up anyway. As for the inhaling, I do remember the first few times getting a lungful, but then I just learned to hold my breath for the few seconds I apply it which is totally not a big deal, and seems like an easy way around this scary article you linked. So I’d still recommend it, but it does make sense that we shouldn’t inhale.

Friday, June 3/2011 at 12:02 pm

Oh right – good point about not inhaling! The Colorescience is on that hit list too. So depressing that there is an issue with almost everything now…

Tracy@Beauty Reflections
Thursday, June 2/2011 at 7:05 pm

I have a Bare Minerals Powder sunscreen I got in the US and it’s great too. I’ve also used Peter Thomas Roth’s powder which is pretty good too. I also think these powder ones are great to put on my hands-we all forget about the hands!
I’m really interested in trying the Pure +SImple Powder-where can we get it?

Friday, June 3/2011 at 12:04 pm

Pure + Simple only have stores in Toronto… but they will ship across Canada from their website. Only thing that might be tricky is figuring out your shade…

Steph
Thursday, June 2/2011 at 7:23 pm

Physical sunscreens last longer than chemical ones.

Friday, June 3/2011 at 12:06 pm

Makeup Morsels
Thursday, June 2/2011 at 7:54 pm

I actually just re-apply sunscreen straight from the tube every 2 hours. All I wear is some translucent powder on my t-zone, so I carry some blotting papers with me to get rid of the post-spf shine. I think the powders are a nice option for people who wear full-face makeup though, it’s definitely not fun to reapply sunscreen after you’ve finished applying makeup.

Friday, June 3/2011 at 12:07 pm

You must have flawless skin MM! I would look so blotchy. :-(

Kimmi
Friday, June 3/2011 at 5:23 am

First I want to say I love your site and you do such an awesome job! But I just wanted to clarify this very important information because I think sunsmart education is very very important.

There is not a set expiry of 2hrs for sunscreen. You said that it doesn’t matter what the SPF number is, it only lasts 2hrs. This is actually untrue and how long an SPF works will actually differ between people. The higher the SPF the longer you are protected for.

I am sorry for rambling, and I hate to include links, but I found a health website that explains it better (http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/sun-care/spf.htm). There is a proper equation that tells you how long an SPF will work for.

Friday, June 3/2011 at 11:51 am

Thanks for the comment Kimmi but that’s not the information I’ve received from personally interviewing countless dermatologists over the years for the magazine articles I’ve written/edited (and speaking to a derm directly is a bit more of a reliable source than the link you posted).

You can’t just go by the SPF number alone because yes, it does relate to the time you can spend outdoors without burning… but this figure depends on both the duration and intensity of light. (Between 11 and 3, for example, the UV index is higher, so you’ll burn much faster than, say, in the late afternoon.)

Also, most people don’t use enough sunscreen in the first place to replicate how the SPF numbers were artificially determined in a lab. If you don’t apply the same quantity as they tested, right away you’re getting a lower SPF.

Furthermore, you really don’t get that much incremental UV protection with higher SPFs. SPF 30 filters out 97 percent of UVB rays compared to just 93 percent with SPF 15… but after that, the incremental protection levels get smaller, with the highest available, SPF 110, blocking 99.1 percent.

So based on all of that, I think it’s important to get the re-application message out there instead of giving people a false sense of security.

Hope this helps clarify!

Kimmi
Saturday, June 4/2011 at 5:50 am

Oh I am with you 100%. I usually wouldn’t refer to such a crappy site but I didn’t want to write a long winded post.

After having skin cancer back in 2008 (age 21) I got heavily into researching the topic. What I meant to say was very much what you said above. I am sorry if it sounded like I was correcting you, I didn’t mean to. One thing I think is very important though is to know the equation because, for example, when I am in Las Vegas during summer I actually burn within 4-5 minutes (I am very white). This means an SPF 15 will only last me an hour or so. That is what I meant to say about a higher SPF lasting longer.

There is just so much to the SPF and sunscreen debate that education needs to be put out there. I know that this post wasn’t so much about sunscreen as it was about products you can use after your make up is on that has SPF.

I would love to see you write a big SPF post about the protection, what the diff is between UVA and UVB etc. Coming form Australia you would think this stuff would be common knowledge to people like me, but it isn’t. I think it would be wonderful if a big successful blog like yours shined some more light on the topic.

Apologies again for being annoying! Haha

Chelsea C
Monday, June 27/2011 at 1:31 pm

Very informative reply. This is exactly the info my derm gave at my last visit (“SPF 30 filters out 97 percent of UVB rays compared to just 93 percent with SPF 15 etc.”). There is way too much stuff out on the internet and it can be very confusing. I have had two different derms in the last 3 years and both were on the same page when it cames to SPF protection; however, they both had different views on moisturizers. But that is another post…. : )

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 10:14 pm

Oh now I want to know what they said about moisturizers! Do tell!

Alison
Friday, June 3/2011 at 5:48 am

I’m so glad you posted on this because I was wondering the exact same thing. But the products you listed are very pricey. Are there any good drug store/ cheaper options?

Friday, June 3/2011 at 12:15 pm

Good question! If you can find a mineral powder with SPF, that will work – the ones I listed are just my faves because they’re really light and so less chance of going all cakey when you’re putting it on top of your regular makeup. I found this just as an example: http://well.ca/products/nyc-smooth-minerals_16817.html?affid=BEAUTY
or this: http://well.ca/products/revlon-photoready-compact-makeup_30269.html?affid=BEAUTY

Probably tough to find a mattifier with SPF but you could def do a regular tinted SPF moisturizer. Eg: http://well.ca/products/olay-definity-colour-recapture-with_11316.html?affid=BEAUTY

And I just found this inexpensive tinted SPF which looks great: http://well.ca/products/aubrey-organics-natural-sun-spf-20_10386.html?affid=BEAUTY

Alison
Friday, June 3/2011 at 1:20 pm

Thanks! Those are great suggestions.

Arianne
Friday, June 3/2011 at 7:34 am

Oh, that’s so funny! I just wrote about the Pure + Simple foundation (I use the Pure, though, for normal-to-oily skin) and proclaimed my love for it. I’m not even a mineral powder girl, either. I love liquids, and I’m going to hunt down the No Foundation Foundation. :)

Friday, June 3/2011 at 12:18 pm

We share much love for Pure + Simple! It’s funny, they tried to tell me that their customers liked the store brand powder better than the Jane Iredale and I didn’t listen… they were right of course.

The No Foundation Foundation is pretty awesome! But just to warn you, it’s a teensy tiny bottle so you don’t get a lot of product for the price.

Lynn
Friday, June 3/2011 at 1:34 pm

I’ve been wearing sunscreen daily since I was 15 (don’t be impressed; that’s really only four years), but I didn’t know about the 2hr rule. Eep! Thanks for the warning. =)

Does it matter if you are actually in sunlight, though? For example, on many mornings I wake up, slap about a teaspoon of sunblock on my face, set with a mineral powder (I don’t care if the finish isn’t perfect; these are my stay-at-home days), grab breakfast, and sit in a dark room with only my computer to light my way for a few hours. Is my sunblock still losing effectiveness?

Thanks!

Lynn
Friday, June 3/2011 at 1:36 pm

Sorry. I forgot to add that this is only during the summer; when school is in session, I pop back to my dorm between classes to reapply properly, but I hadn’t been doing it as frequently as every 2hrs.

Friday, June 3/2011 at 2:04 pm

Good question! Actually if you’re only sitting inside then no point in applying the sunscreen in the morning – just worry about it when you do have to go outside. Put it on at least 10 mins before you go out.

Chelsea C
Friday, June 3/2011 at 10:27 pm

Hi there. Me Again. My derm said that we have to be mindful that UV rays can get thru our household windows. And since I live near Vancouver, where the skies are grey 90% of the time, we have our blinds open from morning til dusk, just so I can get some of that healthy Vitamin D – Right? My derm suggested, for my skin, it is advisable to wear 15 – 30 spf indoors – such as a light moisturizer with spf like Aveeno. It’s just safer/precautionary considering that sun damage rears its ugly head later in life. You just never know what can happen when you are sitting near that sunlit window, reading a book.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 7:26 pm

I’ve heard different things on this (one derm told me not to worry about UV penetrating glass windows). But I suppose it’s better to be safe than sorry – especially if you get a lot of light where you are! I have no idea if that means you get vitamin D too… I think it’s more realistic to get your D from food sources eg cod liver oil. Living in Canada we’ll never be able to get enough from the light year-round anyway, so we might as well get used to supplementing.

Jabeen
Friday, June 3/2011 at 7:34 pm

Hey

I love your post. I’ve been using suncreen for over ten years and I avoid the sun as much as I can. I’m glad you have this post up. I, too,don’t reapply my sunscreen because I don’t want to ruin my make-up.

Where can you get the colorescience in Canada? More specifically, the GTA?

Thank you!

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 7:27 pm

Hi! for Colorescience locations you can call 1-800-668-5236.

Chelsea C
Friday, June 3/2011 at 8:07 pm

This subject again…. I was at the derm just last week and he said that it is imperative that sunscreen be applied every two hours. Stick formulas go over make-up better, as per him. The problem with mineral powders is that they can get cakey if over applied/re-applied on oily skin. For my case a minimum of spf 15 is only ok around the house. Outside of the house at least a 45 or higher. I explained to him that I don’t like that white mask look (from zinc oxide/titanium dioxide). He recommended the following: La Roche-Posay Anthelios Stick (as it goes on dry and can be patted over top of make-up), Anthelios Ultra Light Fluid – SPF 60 (has a matte finish and absorbs quickly),and Vichy Capital Soleil Extreme Sunblock Stick SPF 60 (La Roche-Posay and Vichy are one in the same according to my derm). I purchased the Anthelios Ultra Light Fluid and love it. After cleansing and applying any acne/spot treatment, I apply my sunscreen. Once it is absorbed I then apply a mattifier (Neostrata), then Skintint FX (30 spf) by CoverFX, then set with a light dusting of powder. So far this regime has worked for my sensitive and oily skin (for the last month any ways). Although I have “olive type” skin I freckle right away. I have sun damage from years of sunning myself and hyper pigmentation issues from pregnancy (I was told by my derm that a lot of the spots on my face are the result of burning and too much sun starting as a kid, which then shows its unruly head when you are older – as in age spots). I also use retin A at night so my skin is extra sensitive. I haven’t read the other comments yet, but I will. This is such a great subject.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for the recos! Your routine sounds great. (And yes I too could ponder these sunscreen issues until the end of time… there is so much to cover!!)

That’s interesting about the sticks going over makeup, I’ll have to try that. I’ve been using the Colorescience and don’t find it cakey at all….

nel
Sunday, June 5/2011 at 9:07 pm

Hi Michelle ! Do you know or could pin point where the Perricone product is available ? Thank you in advance !!

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 7:31 pm

I believe it’s only at Sephora. I think you can get it at some Canadian locations… but if not should be able to order it online. It’s a great product but pricey for how tiny the bottle is. :-(

Elle Sia
Monday, June 6/2011 at 10:57 am

I don’t know if you’ve herd of ingestible sunscreens? Where it’s like a sunscreen in a pill. You don’t take it instead of your regular sunscreens but rather along with it. I read it somewhere but haven’t really looked into it!

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 7:33 pm

Yeah, isn’t that company called Oenobial? I think I had a bottle a few years ago but never tried… I think it’s supposed to be popular in France. I will definitely investigate!

Katie
Monday, June 6/2011 at 3:40 pm

I could be way off, but I think that 10 minutes of sun, even during the summer at noon, it more helpful than hurtful, particularly if you applied sunscreen at least once already that day. Sunlight produces vitamin D and likely does all sorts of other good things for your body, but like anything is bad in large doses. So in that instance, I think it’s fine, but I’m not an expert…

Now, if I’m spending a large amount of time outdoors, I will reapply every two hours. In those cases, why not just stick to light concealer where needed and touch that up after the reapplication? Or, better yet, embrace the bits of imperfection in favor of a more enjoyable time and healthier skin? Isn’t a full face of makeup during summer just overkill anyway?

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 7:37 pm

I agree that a bit of sun can be good for you but you can absorb it through your arm not your face. (And I wouldn’t rely on the sun exclusively for getting your vitamin D… here in Canada it’s just not realistic so I suggest food sources eg cod liver oil, and/or supplements.)

Re: makeup – I think it really depends on the individual. Some people are fine going with a more bare-faced look but others need more coverage for blemishes, redness, pigmentation… etc. And that’s not even considering bronzers, blush, illuminators. :-)

One of my favourite beauty quotes is Calvin Klein: “The best thing is to look natural, but it takes makeup to look natural.”

Marina (Makeup4all)
Wednesday, June 8/2011 at 5:32 am

Great post, Michelle. I also enjoyed reading the comments.
That No Foundation Foundation sounds interesting.
I am personally using SPF 30 or 50 on my face and SPF 6 on my body.

Sarah Clark
Friday, June 17/2011 at 11:57 pm

Hello! I have really enjoyed following your site. What a fun job you have!
Just wanted to ask you if you have ever tried Eminence products? They are 98% organic and Hungarian. The sunscreens are almost completely chemical free- they added 1 chemical in order to get a higher spf. There are 3 diff. day creams, a tinted moisturizer and a mineral spf powder in several tints. If you haven’t tried them, I highly recommend! I’m an Esthetician in Texas and love the products. Many of the products are light weight, but still effective, even in our 100+ temps!

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 7:39 pm

Yes I have! I’ve tried a few of their products, most recently the exfoliating cleanser, and was really impressed. They just sent me an SPF face cream so that’s going to be my next test.

Kay
Saturday, August 6/2011 at 1:39 am

Hi, thank you so much for your informative post. Earlier a reader commented that physical sunscreens last longer than physical sunscreens and you said “Yes have heard that too but no derm will advise going any longer than 2 hours, max 3 with any sunscreen ingredient – physical or chemical.” Do you mean “2-3 hours max” as in reapply 2-3 hours max in direct sun, after 2-3 hours of accumulated sun exposure time, or just after 2-3 hours in sun and no sun?

I’ve been using the Blue lizard brand for sensitive skin for about two years now and a couple people commented on this earlier, but could you also give me a more detailed idea of how necessary it is to reapply a physical sunscreen in comparison to the different amounts of time you spend outdoors? For example, if you spend 20 minutes biking outdoors to school daily and maybe another 2-3 hours on and off in direct sun throughout the day(walking around between classes, in the car, etc) would you say it would still be beneficial to reapply? I only use physical sunscreens like Blue Lizard now and it gets really heavy to reapply during the day. Usually I only reapply if I know I’m going out in the sun for long periods of time like to the beach. Is your protection completely gone after 2-3 hours even with physical sunscreens? And would it last longer if you don’t go out during 11am-3pm? When I apply my Blue Lizard, it seems like the white-ish cast is still on my face even at the end of the day. Granted, I try to stay in doors most of the time, but I do have to walk around outside a lot for classes.

Thanks in advance for putting up with my questions!

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 7:02 pm

Great questions! I think it depends on how much sweat/oil you’re producing as that’s what causes the sunscreen to wear off, sun or no sun. (Of course, sunscreens will break down in the light, so you definitely need to re-apply every 2 hours if you’re outside, whether or not in direct sunlight.)

If you’re just sitting indoors at a desk job all day (and didn’t walk to work or otherwise get exposed to light earlier in the day) then probably your sunscreen will still be intact by lunchtime… although I still recommend re-application of a mineral powder or something, just to be on the safe side – especially if you tend to burn or get pigmentation. There is a great series at dermtv.com where they address this stuff – that doc doesn’t recommend going any longer than 4 hours without re-application when inside & not sweating. http://www.dermtv.com/how-much-sunscreen-put

Anyway – it sounds like you need a sunscreen that doesn’t give you that whitish cast. The formulas are getting better – check out this post for some recos: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/06/15/should-you-use-a-mineral-sunscreen-heres-why-you-might-consider-it%E2%80%94and-7-beauty-editor-approved-prodz-to-choose-from/. And I think a mineral powder like the Colorescience would be a good idea for you since it sounds like you’re in and out of the sun all day long and I agree, putting on a cream would be annoying.

I hope that helps!

Angie
Tuesday, November 15/2011 at 8:24 pm

Hi there Michelle,
I am a medium-complexion Black female and I use suncreen before leaving the house and reapply every two hours (or at least 30 minutes before I am due out in the sun again). I too, have this, “reapplying suncreen while wearing make-up’ thing. I read another article on the internet about this same subject and the author pointed out that suncreen degrades in sunlight and if you’ve been inside all day,haven’t sweated 0r rubbed your face;then the sunscreen should still be okay(effective). Sometimes I wonder if the sunscreen that I applied before my eastward commute to work where the rays from the sunrise are going through my windshield is still protecting me as I am driving home and the rays from the sun setting in the West are coming through my windshield.

Angie
Tuesday, November 15/2011 at 8:39 pm

Also, how can I undue,or at least reduce some of the damage that the Sun has already done to my complexion? I’ve seen what the Sun has done to the skin of chronic or former sunbathers and tanning bed users but what kind of cellular changes or damage does it do to the skin of someone who doesn’t lay out in the Sun or lives in Phoenix?

Poppy
Tuesday, June 18/2013 at 4:04 pm

Thank you, I was asking this question too!
Bu I just don’t get it with loose powder: with sunscreen you must put at least a spoon of product for the correct use, but you can’ layer your powder soo thick, can you? Wouldn’t it cake on the face?

Susie
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 6:38 am

I am so loving this site! As an esthetician is wonderful to see such informed articles! I recently started taking Murad Sunguard supplement in addition to my sun screen. I was wondering if you had heard of it? Basically this supplement is made from pomegranate extract which is a fabulous anti oxidant that helps protect your skin from damaging rays. You still need to wear your spf but this is extra protection for your whole body. Areas you may not or can not put sunscreen on. Like your scalp, lips, eyes. On days when you know your going to be in a lot of sun you can take on extra supplement. I had read an article in one of my skin care magazines about sunscreen supplements which is actually how I first heard about it. There are others on the market too. Heliplex is another brand I tried out first. This may be something you may want to look into.

Robert
Monday, February 17/2014 at 6:15 pm

Best to use the right sunscreen in the first place. Zinc oxide is superior. Does not need re-application every 2 hours unless outside sweating, rubbing it off. A major fact hardly anyone talks about is using the right amount of sunscreen. You need aprox. 1/4 tsp for the face and the same amount for the neck. Do a Wiki on “Sunscreen” for detailed info.