MTV Movie Awards ’11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

MTV Movie Awards 2011 - Emma Stone

The two most exciting news stories of the day, as far as I’m concerned, have to do with Emma Stone and Leighton Meester. Specifically their hair at the MTV Movie Awards last night: Emma’s back to red, which pleases me very, very much (even though I was really starting to get into the blonde), and Leighton has stepped out with a fabulous-looking Ombré (despite my declaration that its 15 minutes were up). I love a good red carpet beauty shake-up, don’t you?

In other news, Hailee Steinfeld, who is all of 14 years old, once again demonstrates an effortless yet supremely sophisticated point of view when it comes to beauty (and fashion). No, it’s not fair, but we adults should take note. And just wait ’til you see Elle Fanning, 13-year-old sister of Dakota. Le sigh.

Anyway! Lest all of these collagen-rich tweens and twentysomethings start to depress you, I’ve also got pics to share of the also-gorgeous Reese Witherspoon, Cameron Diaz and Brooklyn Decker. (Oh wait—Brooklyn is only 24. We just need to talk about how her beauty look is aging her.) And lots more!

So Emma Stone has red hair again.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Emma Stone1 MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Welcome back, Em! Isn’t a lovely surprise to see her sporting the colour she should’ve been born with? While I don’t think it’s quite there yet—going from light blonde to that gorgeous glossy auburn will probably take a few tries—I just love what this does for her skin already. Also: can we talk about that kick-ass flicky eyeliner she’s got goin’ on? (See the pic at the top.) I MUST master this.

Leighton Meester is late to the Ombré party (but we’ll forgive her).

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Leighton Meester MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Just when I thought Ombré was finally finito, out comes Leighton and I’m digging it all over again. This is because she possesses all of the elements that make it look RIGHT: long, wavy hair, no bangs and a rich brunette colour. (This is why it didn’t work on me, because I like being blonde, with bangs, and my hair is also painfully straight.) It just goes to show you that Charles Baker Strahan—her hairstylist, who I last interviewed for this post—was right.

Direct quote: “Ombré isn’t necessarily ever ‘out,’ because it’s what happens naturally. If you see a little blonde girl in the winter, when her natural colour doesn’t get as much light from the sun, the ends of her hair look more intense. But when it goes too far—that’s only a good look if you’re in a punk band. So I think Ombré isn’t something that’s a revelation, it’s just exaggerating what happens naturally.” So in other words, you can still try this trend (DIY instructions here) as long as you’re subtle about it.

Hailee Steinfeld knows how to rock a red lip.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Hailee Steinfeld MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

I feel a bit wrong praising a 14-year-old’s makeup choices (because truthfully, I don’t think MY mom would’ve let me go out of the house with red lipstick on), however, it has to be said that this looks fantastic. And grown-up—it’s a long way from the ballerina bun and hairband we saw her wear at the Oscars. I am also coveting her long hair, which has a few waves but is not all chunky and stuff like many of her Hollywood peers. Such as this next one…

We now interrupt this programming for a special beauty warning courtesy of Amanda Bynes.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Amanda Bynes MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

I don’t want to pick on poor Amanda too much, but I had to include this pic as a brief example of What Not To Do. The hair! It is tragic. Please brush and SEPARATE THE CURLS. That is all.

Elle Fanning demonstrates why life is unfair sometimes.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Elle Fanning MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Did you know there were TWO Fanning sisters? Elle looks just like Dakota… and am I the only one finding it hard to believe she is 13? At that age, I most certainly did NOT look like this.

Kristen Stewart looks glamazing!

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Kristen Stewart MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Will you check out that mane of artfully tousled hair… it’s quite something, no? I’m really digging this new glamorous look for K-Stew. As usual, she’s also wearing the best eyeshadow, a grey-ish brown-ish palette that is neither too harsh nor too soft. Oh Kristen, you’re growing on me.

Emma Watson’s hair is in the awkward stage.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Emma Watson MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Is it just me? Because I’m truthfully not the biggest fan of short hair? Quite possibly. But I still feel like this ‘do leaves a bit something to be desired. When Ginnifer Goodwin hits a red carpet, even if I wouldn’t copy her cut, I can still appreciate how well she wears it. This just looks like what it is: short hair growing out.

Blake Lively looks stressed; reverts to go-to peach makeup.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Blake Lively MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Is it Leo? The nude pics? Her Jessica Rabbit hair colour (wisely pulled back for this event)? Whatever it is, Blake’s not at her best here. There’s a slight Eagle going on, as well as that darned peachy shadow, although it’s not as intense as we’ve seen previously. The blue dress, however, is a great colour for her.

Selena Gomez; always adorbs.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Selena Gomez MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Not much to say here because Selena is one of those lucky peeps who never makes a beauty misstep. A bit boring for us, great for the Biebs.

I heart Rosie Huntington-Whiteley’s hair very much.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Rosie Huntington Whiteley MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Acting might not be her forte, but Rosie has just landed herself in my haircuts and colours folder. (Oh yes. I have a folder—a computer one—where I file such things.) I love that she’s not BLONDE blonde (a revelation for this recovering blonderexic) and also that she’s sporting the classic half-up, half-down ‘do, which is one of my favourite styles as well.

Cameron Diaz has toned down her blonde.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Cameron Diaz MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Speaking of toned-down blondes, did you notice how Cammy is more honey than platinum these days? Smart move if you ask me. It warms up her skin, isn’t quite so harsh… even if y’all keep saying she’s looking a bit rough in the face these days. (I do agree, by the way—she has seemed to age prematurely as she’s only 38—but at the same time I think we need to give praise where it’s due, because she hasn’t become a plastic freak either.)

Reese Witherspoon’s tousled waves are great. Her eyeshadow? Not so much.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Reese Witherspoon MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

Love love love the hair on Reese—so beachy and youthful, in a touchable way that Beyoncé’s here was not—but the eyeshadow has GOT to go. And to think I once praised her for her skillz in this area. I just don’t think we want to have colours in the eye area that make us look ill or corpse-like. How much better would a charcoal, a navy, even a taupe have looked, I ask you?

Brooklyn Decker needs to stop trying to look older.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Brooklyn Decker MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

I know she’s trying to become a serious actress and all, not a model, but I can’t help but think Brooklyn needs a beauty intervention. She doesn’t necessarily have to go longer with the hair (since I did say that bobs are quite on-trend right now)… but at least some colour or interest on the makeup front would be nice. She can’t keep wearing this loud dresses and expect them to do all the work…

And finally, Nicki Minaj keeps trying to start a lip liner trend.

MTV Movie Awards 2011 Nicki Minaj MTV Movie Awards 11: Emma Stone is a redhead again, Leighton Meester goes Ombré and Hailee Steinfeld can do no wrong

It’s not going to happen.

And that’s a wrap! Tell me:

Which red carpet look was your favourite?
Who do you think needs the most help?
How do you feel about Emma Stone’s and Leighton Meester’s hair colour changes?

Vivian
Monday, June 6/2011 at 2:51 pm

All is right in the world again, now that Emma Stone is back as a redhead (not that the blonde was all that bad). Loved her eye makeup with that hint of greyish-purple… must go try that out now. Same with Elle Fannings lavender lower lash line

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:11 am

Hey I didn’t even notice Elle’s eyeliner – good eye! That family has the best genetics, GAWD!

Thomas
Monday, June 6/2011 at 4:22 pm

Emma Stone is one of those lucky people that can have any hair colour under the sun and it suits them down to the ground (like me – be jealous!). I must say though, Amanda Bynes hair is AWFUL. The whole cheese-twist-esque hair is not a good look on anyone, but is it just me or does it seem to look extra hard and crispy from here? Am I the only one that is noticing how oddly it falls around her midsection – instead of laying flat it stays in a solid line? Somebody, please – confiscate her hairspray. And fast.

You got me all excited when I saw in the title that Leighton Meester had Ombreified herself, and then I saw it. Not liking. It may just be the lighting or the angle of the camera, but it seems to be too much of a sudden change into blonde from the dark brown, from here it doesn’t really look like the brown gets lighter or the blonde get’s lighter, it’s just sort of two block colours put in. Disappointed, I must say.

As a final note I must add, I COMPLETELY agree with you on Brooklyn Decker’s hair and makeup. While it’s nothing offensive, from the neck up she looks like a stereotypical news reporter. Plus since when did the (adult) youth of Hollywood start trying to look OLDER???

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

P.S. FINAL UPDATE ABOUT B****Y HAIR SITUATION!!! So after my last update my mum changed her mind and let me rebleach my hair once again. It did not spontaneously combust as she suspected, what with the build up of so much chemicals, however it took out the red tones in the hair and it is a nice, summery blonde shade but with white tips. Only bad thing is that my mum has now banned me from ever dyeing my hair fully blonde again, until I’m at LEAST 18 whereby she can’t (by law…) ban me. So yes, I doubt it’s exactly top of your list but you are the only person in the universe who is likely to care, and I include my friends in that, so I thought I’d say anyway :) (Also, the link you gave me for my orange predicament was from one of my favourite websites ever!!!!!! Such a coincidence! Plus it helped my friend go back to brown!)

jenny
Monday, June 6/2011 at 10:12 pm

hahahah thomas your comments make me laugh :P

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:16 am

I love the cheese twist description for Amanda Bynes – so perfect!!! I might have to adopt that term.

I think with Leighton it’s maybe the lighting. Check out this pic – the transition seems more gradual: http://canadianbeauty.com/mtv-movie-awards-ombre-hair/ As I’ve written here, I’m not feeling Ombre so much anymore but I do think this looks good on her. Possibly because it’s extensions and she has enough length to keep the blonde away from her face.

So glad you finally got a blonde you’re happy with! Can you share what you actually ended up doing to get rid of the red tones?

Thomas
Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:27 am

Hmm, I must admit I’m still not loving it. I think if she had a few highlights, (literally just a few framing the face with a few scattered around the back and sides) down the whole length of the hair it would look better, a bit like this… http://www.redcarpetreport.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/sjp-ombre.jpg
Just something nice and subtle, nothing drastic.

WELL. As I said I re-bleached it, but as you will know when hair lightens it exposes the warm, coppery tones in the hair so it was still kind of brassy at the roots. What I ended up doing is using Provoke Touch of Silver and Wella Shaders and Toners in Light Ash Blonde to tone down the orangeness, I must say it worked particularly well with the Touch of Silver. In fact I wrote a review for it here if anyone is interested in knowing more about it… http://www.ciao.co.uk/Provoke_Touch_of_Silver_Shampoo__Review_5981454
HOWEVER it DID dye my white ends turquoise for about 2 days. Not good.

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

Kat
Monday, June 6/2011 at 6:29 pm

I was slightly hoping Leighton had lighter extensions in, but it does look like her actual hair.. hm.. I don’t know if I like it or not. Are they extensions?! As much as I would love to firmly state they are, who knows these days?! They could be “ombréed” extensions!

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:18 am

I think they are because there’s no way her hair could’ve grown that long since January: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/01/17/golden-globes-11-halle-and-sofia-just-phoned-it-in-while-the-other-celebs%E2%80%94including-sandra%E2%80%94were-mostly-a-beautyfail/
But next time her hairdresser Charles Baker Strahan is in town, I will try and ask him!

Corinne
Monday, June 6/2011 at 8:21 pm

Is it me or does Amanda Bynes looks badly botoxed? Her face seems swollen… I immediately had Xtina’s equally swollen face pop back to my mind. And the hair really isn’t doing her any favors.

As for Hailee Steinfeld, she looks great. I wish I could do a red lip like her. In all honesty, I’m slightly jealous. (Although I feel weird being jealous of a 14-year old… it feels kinda forbidden)

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:20 am

Yep, totally swollen and yes I’m thinking the same thing you’re thinking re: Xtina. (Great minds think alike!) I don’t think it’s weight gain because her body is fine.

Kaite
Tuesday, June 7/2011 at 1:13 am

Well everything you just said is so true that I don’t really need to comment to add my thoughts since they just echo yours…but I’m going to anyways :D

The highlight of my night was of course Emma’s hair is red again, I’m so happy about that. At first I didn’t even notice…it’s like I blocked the whole blonde thing from my memeory, she was clearly born to be a red head.

Amandas hair is just not good… that’s all I have to say about that, and K Stew may be extremely awks to watch on screen but she does look beautiful in that photo.
Finally both Dakota and Elle are gorgeous they inspire me style wise and make me wish I’d spent my youth looking as unawkward as they do lol.

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:21 am

I know! As Corinne said above, it feels wrong being jealous of these 13- and 14-year-olds but I SO am… I wish I knew then what I know now, I would’ve been far less tragic. :-)

Melissa
Tuesday, June 7/2011 at 4:02 am

Whoohoo…my mental telepathy worked on Emma Stone and she’s finally back to being a red head. Now if only it will work on Rihanna to change her colour, to anything other than what it currently is :) Oh and a quick two-thumbs up to you for a fab blog that makes for a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:23 am

Aw thanks Melissa! I saw Rihanna’s concert the other night and while I’ve never been a fan of the red, it sort of grew on me. Don’t ask me how that happened!

Marina (Makeup4all)
Tuesday, June 7/2011 at 5:37 am

I have to say that I love Kristen Stewart the best, her dress, shoes, hair and makeup – loved everything. Leighton looks nice but I love brown hair on her better.

Sarhana
Tuesday, June 7/2011 at 6:40 pm

Wow, this is a mixed bag in my opinion. Emma Stone just looks great, period. I actually loved the blonde on her about as much as I loved the deep auburn, this light red color is not doing it for me as much. Sorry to say that I am not on board with Leighton’s ombre. It just confirmed for me that–at this level of contrast–ombre is dead. I agree that a natural looking ombre could work at any time, but this brown/blonde split is not for me. Hailee looks too matte to me – I wish the lip had a little bit of shine and her face was just the slightest bit dewy-looking. Amanda Bynes is a nightmare and I noticed the swollen look to her face as well. Kristen Stewart looks awesome – her eyeshadow is masterful. The problem with Emma Watson’s hair, to me, is the awful greenish-tinged color and the fact that it has no shine to it. It looks damaged, which you would think would be easy to avoid when your hair is short. She looks good otherwise – I like the whisper of a flick at the outer corner of the eyes. Blake Lively’s dress looks like a figure skating outfit with the nude netting (and sweat stains) in this pic, but I think her makeup is perfectly acceptable (I don’t hate the peach thing as much as you). Selena and Elle are both cute and fresh, and Rosie Huntington-Whitely just landed herself in my hairstyle folder also. What a great Bardot-esque half-up! Reese’s look is quite disappointing. I get that it’s the MTV awards and that should be an edgier look, but she literally looks like she just got out of bed, swept on some copper/orange shadow and left for the show. Maybe my dislike for the makeup is coloring my view of her hair, but the roots look cheap to me. Finally, I agree with you, Michelle, on Brooklyn and Cam.

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:27 am

Great comment! So many things I didn’t notice… Blake’s sweat stains and figure-skating dress… Emma’s green hair… Reese’s roots… Hailee’s matte skin. Probably I am more inclined to overlook the bad with the celebs I like :-)

marta
Wednesday, June 8/2011 at 8:59 am

How did you notice Nicki Minaj’s lips? All I see is her disgusting cleavage…

Thomas
Wednesday, June 8/2011 at 11:56 am

Hahaha this made me laugh so much, I totally agree, she looks like she has just stepped right out a brothel!!!!! :P

Nomadic D
Wednesday, June 8/2011 at 10:50 am

I agree with you on every single photo here! Only need to add two thoughts: How did Kristen manage to find a wind machine to stand in front of? Or is her hair just styled that way to stay? If so, it looks amazing in the photo, but might be kind of weird in person? And Blake is definitely not looking great here, but I have to say I was most distracted not by her eyeshadow but by her breasts. Have they grown? Holy moly!

Oh and I’ve got ridiculous amounts of long hair myself, but I do admire women who cut it short, in fact just the other day I posted a bunch of shorter looks that I love here:

And one more thing – I was one of those who commented and said Cameron wasn’t looking so good, cakey makeup and prematurely aged and all that, but I think she looks lovely in this shot!

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:31 am

All the pics I saw of K-Stew had that big hair so I think it was sprayed within an inch of its life to stay put sans wind machine. And gosh I don’t know what to say about Boobs Legsley… did you see her leaked photos? I saw on Lainey and I’m no boob expert but she must wear some super-duper padded bras…

I’m with you re: short hair… can admire it from afar but can’t do it myself.

Glad you agree that Cameron has improved here – I’m still a fan.

Nomadic D
Friday, June 10/2011 at 11:01 am

hahaha… boobs legsley. cracked me up. i haven’t seen any leaked pictures, I don’t even know what you’re talking about actually! I guess I’m a little disconnected. All I know is they look really really large. And I didn’t remember them being that way…

Monday, June 13/2011 at 1:06 pm
Nomadic D
Monday, June 13/2011 at 2:19 pm

huh. the link on that site to the actual photos seems to be down, but of course I googled it. Supposedly not her though, right? All I know is, lately, in clothing, she looks crazy boobalicious. Thanks for the link though! I actually wasn’t familiar with that site, so now I have yet another way to whittle away my hours…

Kris Coghlan
Wednesday, June 8/2011 at 5:30 pm

Enjoy your comments. Thanks.

Meeka
Wednesday, June 8/2011 at 11:15 pm

This may not be quite the right shade of red for Emma but I let out a huge sigh of relief when I saw it, red is her color for sure! I don’t mind Leighton’s ombre but I prefer her rich dark brown. I love seeing these younger stars like Elle, Hailey and Selena looking very classy. I think everything about Amanda Bynes’ look at that show was bad. I can’t see a picture of even part of her without getting flashes of those nightmarish shoes! You’re spot on with most of the others though for me the biggest problem with Blake Lively’s look is the peach lipgloss, there’s something off about it and it’s washing her out completely. As for Reese, I find her hair color to be much too blonde in the lower half, the honey at the top looks much better.

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:33 am

Yeah, the peach lip is maybe a bit thick and pasty, I see that now. And yes I think Reese needs to tone down her colour a few notches… a slightly darker, warmer blonde would soften those roots.

Melissa
Thursday, June 9/2011 at 6:53 pm

Could you suggest a lipstick that would be akin to the one Hailee is using? It really looks great on her. And hopefully on me. Although my skin tone is yellower, so I wonder if it would work still? But at any rate, I very much like the texture of it… straddling the line between creamy and matte. Any thoughts on the best prep for lips before using something like that? My old toothbrush scrub trick is a relic from reading Seventeen magazine when I was, well, seventeen. There’s got to be a better way (that doesn’t involve a nightly routine! Am wondering about immediate results)!

I think the reason K-Stew looks better here than usual is that she is just-barely-almost-there-kinda with a smile. She usually looks so damn miserable!

Friday, June 10/2011 at 10:44 am

I found out what her makeup artist actually used – Stila Lip Liner #27 and then NARS classic Jungle Red lipstick applied with a brush.

It’s one of the classic neutral reds (not too blue or too orange) so I think it would work for your colouring. For prepping lips a toothbrush will work or sometimes I do baking soda for a really gentle exfoliation. I guess your normal skincare exfoliator products would work too actually! Then if my lips are still dry/chapped I usually put on a really matte non-goopy lip balm underneath my lipstick… L’Occitane makes a good one that I talked about here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/01/19/can-we-talk-about-lipstick-again-because-there-are-some-new-ones%E2%80%94and-balms-and-stains-and-liners-too%E2%80%94that-deserve-your-attention/
But for overnight I’d definitely use something more hydrating…