Retro hair and makeup is totally on trend… but do you prefer the Taylor Swift or the Odette Yustman version?

Taylor Swift - CMA Music Festival Press Conference in Nashville 2011

So you may have noticed: lately, the ladies of Hollywood seem to be taking cues from the likes of Dita Von Teese—who borrows her style from screen sirens such as Marlene Dietrich. Katy Perry’s getting into it (did you see her Vanity Fair cover?) and so are a long list of celebs we saw at the Met Ball last month, including Diane Kruger, Penelope Cruz and even Gisele.

Clearly, the retro thing—waved, side-parted hair, big lips, lush lashes—is one of those looks in beauty that cycles in and out, over and over again. Wash, rinse, repeat. This is at least the third time in my short beauty career where I’ve declared it “a big trend.”

And it IS. But contrary to what we’ve seen thus far from celebs, you don’t need to be walking down a red carpet to enjoy it. I spotted two celebs this week—our friend Taylor Swift and up-and-coming actress Odette Yustman—doing retro for daytime. Except their interpretations are VERY different, and I wanna know how you feel about who did it best.

Let’s start with Tayls:

Taylor Swift CMA Muxic Festival Press Conference in Nashville 2011 Retro hair and makeup is totally on trend... but do you prefer the Taylor Swift or the Odette Yustman version?

I know we’ve been rather hard on her around these here parts, but I have to jump in and say that I think she looks lovely here. Yes, we’ve seen it all before, but somehow, with her pretty floral frock—

Taylor Swift CMA Muxic Festival Press Conference in Nashville 2011 3 Retro hair and makeup is totally on trend... but do you prefer the Taylor Swift or the Odette Yustman version?

—it’s working for me. I think that’s because the entire look is sort of 1950s, as opposed to her usual attempts to do 1950s from the neck up with a circa-2011 dress. Know what I mean?

Let’s take a closer look at the makeup:

Taylor Swift CMA Muxic Festival Press Conference in Nashville 2011 2 Retro hair and makeup is totally on trend... but do you prefer the Taylor Swift or the Odette Yustman version?
See, I’m kind of at peace with the hair now (I’ve come to terms with the fact that it’s never going to change), but here is where I have to draw the line. I think this is so pretty, but it’s a heck of a lot of makeup for daytime. And, I think, maybe a too-literal interpretation of this retro thing. We’ve got the false lashes; the thick, black, flicky liquid liner; the shimmery shadow at the inner corners of the eyes; the matte lips; the matte skin.

I would’ve kept the lips (and ideally would’ve applied them properly—see how there’s a slight mistake on the lower lip?) but eased up on the eye makeup BIG TIME. And I think dewy skin is always more appropriate, anywhere, anytime.

This brings me to Odette Yustman, who really is a sight to behold:

Odette Yustman Chrysalis Butterfly Ball 2011 Retro hair and makeup is totally on trend... but do you prefer the Taylor Swift or the Odette Yustman version?

I tell you, beauty editors around the globe are flagging this pic today for future editorial coverage. It’s just so perfectly executed, I can’t stand it. Will you look at that hair? It’s got that Veronica Lake wave thing happening… but it’s so loose and touchable and soft. PERFECTION.

Also, unlike Taylor, who went a bit ’50s costumey (although I tend to let such things slide for musicians), Odette opted to pair her retro hair and makeup with a sleek blouse and pencil skirt:

Odette Yustman Chrysalis Butterfly Ball 2011 2 Retro hair and makeup is totally on trend... but do you prefer the Taylor Swift or the Odette Yustman version?

Sigh. I don’t often long for an office job, but wearing outfits like this would possibly be an incentive.

Anyway, here’s a close-up of the makeup:

Odette Yustman Chrysalis Butterfly Ball 2011 3 Retro hair and makeup is totally on trend... but do you prefer the Taylor Swift or the Odette Yustman version?

What I love about it is that we have most of the elements that Taylor wore, but they’re done in a much more modern, fresh, youthful way. Even though Odette is 26 and Taylor is 21! There are false lashes (I think) and also black liquid liner, but it’s much more light-handed, and sans all that shimmer. The skin is dewy, not matte…  and the best part of all is that gorgeous pink lipstick (which is also dewy, not matte). Red would’ve been WAY predictable.

Do you love it? Tell me:

How do you feel about the retro-glam beauty trend?
Do you prefer the Taylor Swift or the Odette Yustman interpretation?
Would you try one of these looks for daytime?

Mia
Tuesday, June 14/2011 at 3:16 pm

I dislike Taylor Swift so much that I can hardly even look at her! It’s irrational, I acknowledge that. Anyway since she always looks the same, I no longer need too look at her :)
Odette looks perfect.

Mia
Tuesday, June 14/2011 at 3:17 pm

Yikes – apologies for the incorrect spelling of “to”!!

Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 11:05 pm

I hear you! I feel like I had a long anti-Taylor period but now I’m kind of at peace with her look. :-)
Maybe I’m being influenced by that dress here though!

Annie
Tuesday, June 14/2011 at 4:00 pm

Wow! That pink lipstick is gorgeous! I agree — Odette’s makeup is way fresher and younger.

Taylor needs a new look — stat! She’s falling into Gwen Stefani territory of always wearing the same red lip. I think it’s aging.

Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 11:09 pm

I’m not so much opposed to the red lip – it’s more that she pairs it with such heavy makeup everywhere else. We never get to see her real skin!

Thomas
Tuesday, June 14/2011 at 4:11 pm

I don’t know why but I’ve always loved the 50′s hollywood glam style, and I COUNT ON TAYLOR to bring it out at every single event. Literally. Every one. Ever. (Except the one you posted about where she went straight haired, literally COULD NOT RECOGNISE her but it was still fantastic) But the hair is really starting to p*** me off. Not the style, but the colour. It’s boring, flat, mousy and I want to burn it, that is how much I hate it. I want her highlighted blonde back, and soon. But I will concede the dress is nice.

Who is this Odette person? After googling I found out why – every movie she has been in has been purile crap (except Cloverfield). BUT she is absolutley gorgeous, stunning!! She absolutely blows Taylor out the water! It’s a sad day when a celeb is beaten at their own game though. Not liking the brows so much though, bit TOO overly shaped. As a final note has anyone else noticed how perfect her teeth are?! Looks like she went to the same dental cosmetician (or whatever they are called) as you Michelle! :D

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

P.S. You’ve probably seen this but I had to add it when I saw the bit about Katy Perry’s Dita look – http://static.igossip.com/photos_2/december_2010/katy_perry_dressed_like_jessica_rabbit.jpg

Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 11:13 pm

Do you have a link to the highlighted blonde you prefer on Taylor? I’m actually kind of digging this darker, solid colour on her… maybe because it’s close to my own. :-) I guess I just find it refreshing and more of a natural look compared to all the fakey fake blonde Hollywood types we always see…

Agree re: Odette’s brows… I almost commented on that. A bit fuller would be nice.

Is Katy Perry wearing nude pantyhose in that pic?? :-)

Thomas
Thursday, June 16/2011 at 2:28 am

Hmm… I get what you mean by more natural and such, but I just think it’s too flat and boring for a Hollywood colour. She needs to mix it up a bit! Here is the particular picture I was thinking of at first, the one you posted a while back…

But as I thought about it I like this one even more…

Still very natural on the second, almost ombre-ish, and I just think it suits her so much more to have that variation.

P.S. Yes! I didn’t notice it at first but after looking at lots of pics, I must concede her legs are simply too shiny to be bare!

Dallas
Tuesday, June 14/2011 at 4:28 pm

I prefer Odette, for sure! She just looks so glossy, all over!

Nomadic D
Tuesday, June 14/2011 at 5:06 pm

I just want to run my hands through their hair. I get it, retro beauty, yadda yadda, but I’m a fan of the beachy less ‘done’ look myself, and this kind of hair precision just gives me anxiety. The makeup is lovely on both of them though.

Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 11:15 pm

Haha! I know what you mean – I feel that way about Taylor’s, definitely… although separating the curl might put her in Gwen Stefani territory: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/05/17/cannes-11-gwen-stefani-would-like-to-show-you-the-new-curls-and-the-new-lip%E2%80%94now-lets-all-get-on-board/ (That would probably be a good thing though! I’d pay money to see that style on Taylor for sure.)

Elaine
Tuesday, June 14/2011 at 5:22 pm

My modern retro look (oxymoron?!?!) –
Taylor swift with – no liner, just nude shadow and false lashes, with dewy skin, and and orangey-red lip! and brush out those curls!!!!

Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 11:16 pm

YES! Exactly. Much fresher!

PS – I’ve been using Latisse and blog post coming soon on that… despite my initial fears it’s an amazing, amazing substitute for falsies. Very happy.

Adalu
Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 1:38 am

what I liked about Taylor was the dress :D but if we talk about just makeup then I choose Odette :D

Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 11:17 pm

Same here!

Arianne
Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 12:19 pm

I’ve never heard of Odette Yustman, but she is absolute perfection in these photos. She kinda looks like Hailee Steinfeld’s older sister, no? And she is definitely wearing false lashes. If those are real, then ARGH!!!

Wednesday, June 15/2011 at 11:18 pm

She could totally be Hailee’s sister!

Re: the lashes – they could be Latisse! I’ve been using it for maybe a month now, not even, and I am blown away with the results. New convert.

Mia
Thursday, June 16/2011 at 2:43 am

FYI you can buy generic Latisse (bimatoprost) from online pharmacies for about $12 a bottle (although the shipping’s around $25, so order a few bottles at a time). It comes from India, so it takes a while to arrive, but it’s the same ingredients for waaaay less money. I’m about 2 months in and have much longer, thicker and CURLY lashes and am delighted.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 6:52 pm

I think I’d be a little nervous doing that… how do you know it’s legit? (Not the product obviously – since you’ve had results – but the store itself?)

Vero
Thursday, June 16/2011 at 7:18 am

Odette who? Yeah, I don’t know, but she’s gorgeous and totally owns this look. Clear winner for sure.

Marina(Makeup4All)
Thursday, June 16/2011 at 5:52 pm

I had to Google Odette Yustman (because I have no idea who she is) but I LOVE the makeup a lot, I even saved the photo. Thanks for sharing, Michelle!

Kharina
Tuesday, June 21/2011 at 5:43 pm

Taylor’s makeup always ages her, which is a shame. Instead of looking fresh faced and glowy, she always looks frumpy and dusty. And that hair… run something through it, fingers, a brush, a tractor – I don’t care, just get rid of those Disney ringlets. Odette is gorgeous, dewy skin, cool factor 10 on lip colour and glossy soft hair you want to sleep in. But yeah, totally agree on the brows, overplucked. Somebody do a HD brow on her.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 6:53 pm

I love the adjective “dusty” for Taylor!!

eva
Wednesday, June 22/2011 at 1:24 am

I know what Taylor is trying to do there. Her eyes are rather narrow and naturally winked up. She/her makeup artist thought throwing that super thick liquid cat eye liner will open up her eyes by appearing rounder. Instead, the heavy eyeliner and fake lashes close her eyes even more, her eyes almost look like a line.
She should draw within her lash line (not upper inner rim), winked out less at the outer corner, skip the bottom half liner and apply a more natural looking full lash/ demi lash. One more thing, she should grow out her brows. She looks like she’s always squinting her eyes while raising her brows. She has a pretty face but that expression is far away from attractive. I hope it’s just her brows.
She should have kept her bang, it frames her face way better by putting more emphasis on her facial features and not her jaw.

Samantha
Saturday, July 23/2011 at 11:56 pm

Well, Taylor’s hair is naturally that curly so I think that is why she wears it like that all the time…probably much easier than straightening it. I do hate the way she does her makeup though…she could look so much better!