Hey, Blake? (And Olivia and Christina…) I’m not sure how I feel about the way you guys are styling your hair lately

Blake Lively - Green Lantern premiere 2011

I am so very hard on Blake Lively, aren’t I? (It’s because Leighton Meester had me at the first plaid hairband—what can I say? And sorry, but she does have better hair.)

Anyway, Gossip Girl rivalry aside, I was having a browse this morning through some pics showing what our favourite celebs got up to over the past few days, and the overwhelming theme—especially with Blakey, unfortch—was of Bad Hair.

Not Bad Hair Cuts, or Bad Hair Colour, mind you, but just Bad Hair Styling. (In my opinion.) Luckily, it’s fixable—so let’s take a look and see if we agree on the diagnosis and the Rx.

Straight bangs and wavy lengths on Olivia Wilde

Olivia Wilde Maui Film Festival 2011 2 Hey, Blake? (And Olivia and Christina...) Im not sure how I feel about the way you guys are styling your hair lately

As someone who has worn bangs with her naturally straight hair for, oh, 90 percent of my life thus far, I do identify with this little problem we’ve got going on here. Because don’t get me wrong—I’m a big lover of bangs. You will recall that I doled out much praise to Olivia when she debuted hers at the Globes (even though we could argue about why Olivia was at the Globes in the first place):

Olivia Wilde Golden Globes 2011 Hey, Blake? (And Olivia and Christina...) Im not sure how I feel about the way you guys are styling your hair lately

But bangs DO present a dilemma when one wants to wear one’s hair in a style other than hanging down and straight. The particular combo of straight bangs and wavy lengths brings to mind that mullet slogan. You know the one: business in the front, party in the back. Is this business on the top, party on the ends? I think so.

At any rate, it is why I usually recommend bangs that are angled at the sides, like Sienna Miller’s cut here, which I always try to emulate:

sienna miller bangs Hey, Blake? (And Olivia and Christina...) Im not sure how I feel about the way you guys are styling your hair lately

I think I detect that Olivia already has her bangs shaped this way, so it’s beyond me why she doesn’t sort of part her hair in the middle, pushing the bangs to the sides and even giving them a bit of a tweak with the curling iron, so that the whole style harmonizes together a bit more. Kind of how I did when I got brushed-out curls last year. It really would be an improvement.

Now for the next celebrity hair problem:

A Princess Leia-inspired updo on Christina Hendricks

Christina Hendricks Drive screening 2011 Hey, Blake? (And Olivia and Christina...) Im not sure how I feel about the way you guys are styling your hair lately

You know, I can sort of imagine what it must be like to be Christina Hendricks. Your hair is fire-engine red, your face is peaches and cream flawlessness, your ridiculously curvy figure stops traffic…  It must get old sometimes. And so I can understand why you’d have those days when you want to leave the body-con dress in the closet and choose some high-necked prim and proper number.

And put your hair up, of course. The problem is, anything less than sexy Christina tends to disappoint. Especially this look, because I truly don’t think it works when you do schoolmarm from head to toe. Mix it up! If you are going for librarian chic, keep your hair long and lustrous. I must reference the gorgeous Odette Yustman here to show us how it’s done:

Odette Yustman Chrysalis Butterfly Ball 2011 Hey, Blake? (And Olivia and Christina...) Im not sure how I feel about the way you guys are styling your hair lately

See? Or you could do the reverse: Christina’s hair might work—MIGHT—with a more plunging neckline. Although I am really not feeling the frizz, nor the vintage Princess Leia roll-type thing. (Again, the way I prefer my retro hairstyles is demonstrated here and here.)

And this brings me to maybe the most problematic hairstyle of all…

The messiest braid of all time on Blake Lively

Blake Lively Green Lantern premiere 2011 Hey, Blake? (And Olivia and Christina...) Im not sure how I feel about the way you guys are styling your hair lately

What. IS. This? I was so confused, what with the bridal-looking dress and that random bejewelled hair brooch… and of course, the pièce de résistance, the tangled-looking “braid.”

Really, Leo? REALLY?

Okay, that was mean. Just kidding! Let’s help a girl out. I think what she may have been going for was Nicole Kidman’s excellent side braid from the Billboard Music Awards:

Nicole Kidman Billboard Music Awards 2011 Hey, Blake? (And Olivia and Christina...) Im not sure how I feel about the way you guys are styling your hair lately

Nic’s braid is just the right amount of messy. Blake’s, well, let’s just say it’s going to take a hell of a lot of detangling prodz to unravel. I also think she can lose the brooch (and maybe the false eyelashes), but that’s just me.

What do YOU think?

Are you a fan of Olivia Wilde’s bangs ‘n waves combo?
Does librarian chic Christina Hendricks give you the sads?
How do you feel about Blake Lively’s “textured” braid?

Thomas
Monday, June 20/2011 at 12:34 pm

Christ, that hair is so messy I didn’t even NOTICE it was in a braid before you mentioned it!! Dearie me, somebody got ready in the dark! Although, is it just me or is her hair looking blonder now? Less of that reddy colour, but still a definite reddish hint there it seems to me. Just when it was growing on me too!

Plus I totally see what you mean about the “bangs” (however in England we call it a fringe and I simply CANNOT call it bangs without laughing) with the curly hair. I think it would work much better with looser, brushed out curls starting a lot further down, non?

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:11 pm

Yep looks like the red is fading… and did she always have that blonde streak at the front? (Not loving)

Haha re: bangs/fringe… I used to live in Australia and so I’m aware of these subtle language differences! (they’re much closer to the UK over there). The term fanny (which just means bum here) is another one that gets borderline offensive!

thechicstorm
Monday, June 20/2011 at 2:36 pm

As far as I’m concerned, Christina Hendricks can do no wrong. Even though her red carpet choices are seriously questionable sometimes, I think she manages to pull everything off. Yes, she has a slammin’ bod, but it’s also because she’s mature and intelligent and confident. The same holds for January Jones. Mad Men bias? Maybe. Unwavering adoration for two fantastic actresses who own their looks (and age) refuse to bow down to Hollywood pressures? Definitely.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:13 pm

Yes – even when Christina Hendricks sort of fails (eg at the SAG Awards) I can never hate.

I don’t feel the same about January however…

Nomadic D
Monday, June 20/2011 at 2:50 pm

Well I agree with you on Olivia for sure, she looks just awful in that photo. But there’s something about Blake’s braid on crack that I kind of weirdly oddly am intrigued by. I don’t know. I am sort of obsessed with braids and deconstructed ones intrigue me (see here: http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/2011/03/bottom-braids.html). I realize that this is way insane over the top, but there’s something about it on her that I like. If she lost the weird broach and maybe got rid of the dreadlock-y bit at the bottom, I think I’d actually really like it. Call me crazy.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:15 pm

Yeah, maybe if her overall look wasn’t so bridal it would work. I just feel like a tangled braid needs to look fairly effortless, but with her makeup and the brooch it’s not working for me here.

Liz (Beauty Reductionista)
Tuesday, June 21/2011 at 2:48 am

HATE Blake & Olivia’s hair but I give Hendricks a pass just because she’s so darn gorgeous and loveable. Blake Lively also has a case of old face (sorry but something about her makeup is terribly aging and weird) and Olivia could be so gorgeous if her hair doesn’t imitate a limp mop. Christina is a breath of fresh air compared to those two.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:16 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing re: old face! I would bet money that she’s not really 23. They all lie about their age.

marta
Tuesday, June 21/2011 at 4:44 am

You are going to hate me here but I have a girl crush on Blake Lively and I simply like anyting she wears and/or do with her hair (as long as she keeps it blond, though). This one styling was too messy, I agree, but I love the brooch!

About Nicole Kidman, do you think that is only her hair in the chunky braid she is sporting? It looks fantastic but I think she definitely had some extensions in there. Anyway I wish I could get a braid like that, but I have too much hair and too many layers.

Nomadic D
Tuesday, June 21/2011 at 5:30 am

I have tons of layers too and actually I think the fishtail braid is much better for us layered gals, the shorter pieces seem to get worked in better and it stays put much better. Check mine out here:

and give it a try! Tons of hair makes for great braids! (though I agree, I totally think Nicole had extra help in hers)

marta
Tuesday, June 21/2011 at 1:12 pm

Thanks! It does look great but again I have lots of hair and it does not look that nice on me (not that I am complaining about volume! :)). I don’t think braids are for me, but I can always rely on side ponytails. Any ideas here?

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:19 pm
Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:18 pm

Hey you have some mad braid skillz Nomadic D! Very nice!

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:17 pm

I definitely don’t think that is all Nicole’s hair in the braid! Look at her hair here: http://www.laineygossip.com/Nicole_Kidman_goes_online_posts_Youtube_video_to_fans_.aspx

Eve
Tuesday, June 21/2011 at 11:04 am

hate the others but i think i get what Blake was going for, just think she could lose the brooch and the dress and the lashes……i think with a neck and shoulders, and dewy-er skin she could look really nice!

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:19 pm

Agree!

Kharina
Tuesday, June 21/2011 at 5:32 pm

Blake looks as she had a bit of hanky panky in the bushes somewhere and her hair got caught up in the mess. Never mind the hair – her eyeshadow goes up to her brows and they are almost the same colour as her hair. Honeslty – somebody HELP HER!!!

Sarhana
Tuesday, June 21/2011 at 7:37 pm

Is Blake’s braid made out of extensions/fake hair? Look at the end of it compared to the texture of her other hair… looks fake and fried to me. Which makes the disaster of a style even worse, in my opinion.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:21 pm

Yes I read that all the GG cast wears hair extensions.

Kaite
Wednesday, June 22/2011 at 12:45 am

I think I like Blakes hair, I’m not exactly sure. It doesn’t bring out a strong reaction of hate in me anyways haha

Alyssa
Wednesday, June 22/2011 at 2:32 am

Blake is a hot mess. And something I’ve noticed about her? She doesn’t really have a face for makeup I wish she would be more natural.

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:22 pm

YES! The less she tries with makeup, the better.

Lime
Thursday, June 23/2011 at 1:14 am

I really hate how everyone is trying to pit Blake and Leighton against eachother. Anyway, Blake has beautiful hair but she styles it horribly. Messy hair at formal events is a big no! I think the light blond braid is a fake piece.

I also love Christina Hendricks’ hair. I think it looks beautiful. Usually it can look a little frizzy on top and the length is awkward, but here it is just fab.

Melissa
Thursday, June 23/2011 at 10:58 am

I’m just happy that Blake is blonde again…..

katie
Friday, June 24/2011 at 6:31 pm

dont care for the hairdo, but love christina hendricks blush and, especially, lipstick in the above photo. any ideas?

Saturday, June 25/2011 at 5:33 pm

The lips look kind of similar to these: http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Get-Christina-Hendrickss-SAG-Awards-Makeup-13569965

And for blush, get something very peachy… eg the Benefit ChaChaTint I just talked about in this video: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/06/24/video-my-top-5-beauty-editors-picks-of-the-week-volumizing-hair-powder-peachy-cheek-tint-and-budget-priced-budge-proof-eyeshadow/
YSL makes a great peach cream blush too.