What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker-bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

Katy Perry red hair

Wowza! The last few days have been kind of a big deal for people named Kate and… er… Katy. Probably the biggest deal, at least here in Canada, was the arrival of Kate Windsor (née Middleton) to our fair shores with hubs Prince William in tow. And so it begins: on Friday, just two days into their nine-day visit, the Daily Mail declared that we have Kate-mania.

And then there is Kate Moss, who wed The Kills’ Jamie Hince on Friday. The celebration—dubbed “Moss-stock”—went on until Sunday and cost over a million pounds (!!). Of course, all we really want to talk about is the dress. And the hair. And the makeup.

Finally, there’s Katy Perry, who was in Toronto on Thursday for a rather under-the-radar promotion of her fragrance, Purr. (Nope, I wasn’t invited. Sob.) Of course, the real talk of the town was her new red hair. (I wonder what Marie Robinson would think?)

Clearly, we have a lot to talk about! So let’s jump right in:

I endorse Kate Middleton’s maple-leaf fascinator. Yes I do.

Kate Middleton fascinator What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

I know not everyone agreed, but I’ve got a thing for fascinators—they’re so much more fun than hats, and also more flattering, don’t you think? For example, look how dowdy our PM’s wife looked in hers:

Kate Middleton Prince William Canada Day 2011 What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

I’ve got a wedding to go to this week, and while I’m not going to go all out and rock something quite as bold as Kate’s, I do want to look into maybe an understated fascinator-type thingie, just for fun. It just makes wearing your hair down so much more interesting. Forever 21 and Claire’s Accessories are both great for cheapie finds!

Check out Kate’s new twist on the half-up, half-down ‘do.

Kate Middleton Canada 2011 half up half down hair What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

I’m also digging how Kate is styling her hair on this tour. Particularly this gorgeous style, which is actually held up by not one but two mini-clips. They’re fastening the pulled-back sections of hair in loose loops:

Kate Middleton Canada 2011 half up half down hair 2 What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

Love it—I’m definitely trying this at home.

Have we ever seen Kate with her hair up? I don’t think so…

Prince William and Kate Canada Day 2011 What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

Usually I like my chignons a little more on the messy side, but that wouldn’t be very royal… and this looks très elegant with the purple dress. (Bajillion-dollar maple leaf brooch optional.)

Unfortch, Kate’s still using eyeliner as a beauty crutch…

Kate Middleton Canada What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

Well, we can’t have everything, can we? This is a daytime version of her wedding day makeup, and I still feel the same way about how she wears her eyeliner. Why so heavy under the eyes, Kate?

And now moving on to the other Kate…

I adore everything about Kate Moss’ wedding-day look.

Kate Moss wedding dress What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

Again, not all will agree with me on this one, but perhaps I’ve watched a few too many episodes of Say Yes to the Dress and My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. Kate’s dress (by Galliano) is the antidote to all of that: there’s no poufy ballgown skirt, no stiff satin fabric, no inappropriately plunging neckline or corsetry on the back. It’s casual but it’s still glam.

Now here’s the close-up:

Kate Moss wedding What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

The low-key, natural makeup was by Charlotte Tilbury, and hair by the great Sam McKnight. Although I wish it was brushed out a bit more, and maybe a fraction less blonde, I love how Sam kept it really loose and simple—since “wedding hair” is probably the worst beauty crime you can commit. I adore that vintage veil too. Nothing but top marks from me on this one!

And now, since this is probably the most celebrity beauty praise you’ve heard from me in a long time, we come to our last “K,” where I’m not going to be as kind.

Katy Perry has no business being a ginge. There, I said it.

Katy Perry red hair 2 What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

I just… really do not like. Probably even more than I disliked Blake Lively’s venture over to the red side. (And consider that this is coming from a person who normally ADORES the ginge—especially on Christina Hendricks, Amy Adams, Isla Fisher, Emma Stone… the list goes on.)

But Katy? I just don’t think she can pull this off. Maybe it’s her skin tone, maybe it’s the (chalky, overdone) makeup, maybe it’s the fact that it looks like she took it out of the hot rollers without brushing and called it a day.

Thankfully, I hear that SHE isn’t happy with it either. She said on Twitter: “So I didn’t get to the exact color I wanted from being black for so long! To get to goal I have to be a ginger for three weeks!” and “If I don’t wait three weeks, I’ll end up with no hair or a pixie ’90s cut with a barette in the front. It’s okay, I’ll get to my secret color(s) soon!”

My guess is that she’s enroute to blonde, because to go from dark brunette to that shade would indeed fry her locks. I’m not sure how I feel about that either, although it IS her natural colour…

Katy Perry blonde What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

Tell me:

What do you think of Katy Perry as a ginger?
Are you a fan of Kate Moss’ wedding look?
And do you have Kate (Middleton)-mania? Because you might want to invest in these:

Royal Nail wraps What a weekend for the Kates! (And Katy too.) Fabulous fascinators, rocker bride chic and new ginger hair—shall we discuss?

(Order them from maarituk.com.)

Thomas
Monday, July 4/2011 at 1:15 pm

Well, speaking as a brit myself, I truly love Kate ‘Windsor’ (that’s gonna take a bit of getting used to…) and personally I really love her heavy eyeliner look, because even though it is indeed heavy, it’s clean and not smudgy, which I think looks very elegant. Also it really does make her eyes stand out, which after all is the main purpose for eyeliner, no?

As for Kate Moss… I have a long list of complaints. She’s such a pretty girl, but chain-smoking all your life does bad things to even a supermodel :( she could have had such a fresh, glowy face. Also one thing I notice is her teeth… So stained! You’d think a millionaire would have her teeth whitened for her wedding day! Finally, her hair – it just looks so thin and wispy! It’s like she’s barely got any! I expect it’s all at the back, but she couldn’t have brought a few more bits around the front to make it a little fuller?!

Katy Perry is a goddess – whatever hair colour she has I will love her unconditionally. Plus, apart from the slightly lighter blonde bit at her fringe in the front, I am totally digging this new colour, plus how ridiculously shiny is it for just bleached hair?! If I were her I’d maybe make it slightly more deep red and be done with it. Although I hear she is trying to get a ‘mystery colour’, but everyone keeps saying she is going back to blonde? Personally I don’t think light blonde will suit her, just look how washed out she looks in that blonde pic you posted!

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic of the moment Thomas xx

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:35 pm

I know, Kate is only 37 but I think looks older… same with Cameron Diaz. Definitely a lifestyle thing I think.

Melissa
Monday, July 4/2011 at 8:15 pm

Kate Moss’ wedding style leaves me breathless!!! Her veil in particular is so perfectly Kate — a grab from the vintage box, a long-forgotten style, which she has injected glamour into thanks to that long and flowing Sam McKnight hair as a complement… neither outbids the other. Sigh! And THAT DRESS. Wow. With its freeflow cut and luxurious gold beading, it really is the cure-all to those extremely tired swarovski-encrusted, corseted, poofy dresses. Between hers and the-other-Kate’s wedding dress, I’m really hoping that bridal wear pauses for a re-think of itself. That whole industry is just starting to get too dull.

I’m never going to be excited and raving about K-Midd’s makeup, but I’m all with you on her hair and the fascinator. I wish wearing fascinators in the US was more de rigeur — I have a few very pretty ones from my years in the UK, which are going unworn because they just look too flashy here in the Midwest. Sigh. Enjoy your wedding! If you want to write a post on wedding makeup for the non-bride, it’d be totally welcome I think! How to look pretty enough for pictures and eye-catching enough for the single groomsmen, without being too much one way or the other with the flashiness? And of course, something that won’t be defeated by the inevitable drunken flush or hours of sweaty dancing… I know that I for one would find it super helpful this wedding season!

And, well, don’t hate me but I prefer the red on K-Perry over Serena van der Woodsen. I guess her beauty look has been for the most part been retro-influenced, so that kind of pin-up red seems better suited to her than to Blake’s?

marta
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 4:46 am

” If you want to write a post on wedding makeup for the non-bride, it’d be totally welcome I think!”
— Yes Yes Yes! :)

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:42 pm

Oh gosh wedding makeup for the non-bride! This post would be a good start: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/07/21/its-the-hottest-day-of-the-year-from-frizz-free-hair-to-melt-proof-makeup-these-10-tips-will-help-you-deal/ I’d definitely do a mattifying primer and as much waterproof stuff as you can – mascara, eyeshadow.. and I love that new concealer I discovered. If the weather is very hot I think doing a bright orange or pink lip is easier than playing up eyes (just because liner, even the waterproof kind, tends to go smudgy eventually). But if you’re having photos taken then maybe do eyes because they tend to disappear in pictures. I wouldn’t bother doing the waterlines and would skip anything on the lower lid. A brown or navy powder eyeshadow applied with an angled brush along the upper lash line only would look amazing with long lashes.

Lisa
Monday, July 4/2011 at 10:36 pm

In LOVE with Kate Moss’s wedding style. Love the dress, veil, hair, make-up, bridesmaids. Love everything about it.

I find that Kate Windsor’s make up ages her quite a bit. She is thin and has very defined bone structure, and I think would benefit from more softer make up. The dark eye liner is much too harsh.

And, I don’t like Katy Perry’s style. I realize that her while look is meant to be kitschy, but I find it tacky. The new hair colour isn’t awful on her, especially in terms of mid-way colours, but it’s the way that the hair has been styled and the make up, and the lace cat ears…. she always looks too over-done to me.

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:44 pm

Agreed! Remember when Megan Fox had a makeunder? http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/05/18/what-do-you-think-of-megan-foxs-makeunder-in-allure/ Well, I think Katy is the PERFECT next candidate.

Lisa
Monday, July 4/2011 at 10:37 pm

oops! meant to say Kate Moss’s flower girls, not bridesmaids in my last comment!

Alison G.
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 3:47 pm

You were right the first time – in Britain they call flower girls bridesmaids.

Meeka
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 12:55 am

I absolutely positively cannot even begin to say how much I love Kate Moss’ wedding dress. If I had worn white to my wedding that right there would have been the style I’d have wanted. I can’t stand all the over the top dresses I usually see, I tried them on and they just aren’t me. I think Kate looked amazing!
Kate Windsor always looks so chic to me. Besides the fascinators, she’s never very flashy and always well put together. I adore that half up do as well, definitely something I’m going to have to try.
As for Katy Perry’s red hair… I’m on the fence. I love red hair (could be why I have it myself lol), but something about this is a little off. I actually think it might be her makeup, it’s just too much for this shade. I also think if the red was a bit richer it would be more flattering. I’m not sure if I’d like blonde on her if that is her ultimate goal but we’ll have to wait and see.

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:45 pm

We have the same taste in wedding dresses! I watch Say Yes to the Dress and just cringe… so not me.

Nomadic D
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 2:05 am

I actually don’t mind Katy Perry’s ginger. She always looks so artificial anyway (sorry Katy), with all that makeup and the retro curls and everything, I feel like it’s doesn’t really matter what color she’s got on her head, it’s basically the same effect. That photo of her au natural is absolutely gorgeous though! Now that’s the side of Katy that would feel like a real change to me. As for Kate Moss, she looks lovely, though I could have done with a tad more brushing of the hair like yous aid, and maybe a wee bit more dewiness/color on her face/cheeks? But still, lovely. And as for #1 Kate, I have to say, you cracked me up. I’ve never even HEARD of a fascinator! And I want one just so I can keep saying the word!

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:47 pm

I love fascinators! Like Melissa said above I wish they were more popular here. I think it’s a very English thing, and maybe Australian too? When I lived there and went to race days everyone wore them.

Sophia
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 11:16 am

I really want to take a washcloth to Katy Perry’s face

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:47 pm

Ha! YES.

Elaine
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 11:42 am

Kate Moss looks (Surprisingly) fabulous! To me she always looks like she needs some protein…

Kate the Duchess always looks fabulous to me. I think that she does the heavy eyeliner as a type of “stage makeup” – so that her eyes stand out IRL at events maybe?

And Katy Perry – love the ginge actually, but if she’s going to rock it she needs less makeup on…

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:49 pm

Um, you’re not wrong – she’s vegan. I feel like that explains EVERYTHING. http://www.ecorazzi.com/2011/04/04/kate-moss-has-a-new-obsession-vegan-food/
And here I was blaming the drugs for her complexion!

QuiteLight
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 2:56 pm

Kate Windsor; I’m happy she’s happy. Honestly. But I don’t really get the fascination…

Katy Perry, I’m with Nomadic D, I think the red hair looks fine, it’s really just another costume. It’s the right shade for the pseudo-retro-kitsch thing she loves so much.

But Kate Moss… OK, I would completely love the dress & veil If I Couldn’t See Her Crotch. Seriously. The opaque fabric is deliberately cut to show her crotch through the sheer. In her wedding dress. This crosses that invisible line to “That’s Just Tacky” for me. Kills the whole effect. I shouldn’t even be thinking the Word “crotch” looking at wedding photos. OK, I’m starting to rant…

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:50 pm

Yeah, I agree, that part is weird… but I love everything else about her wedding fashion.

Vivian
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 7:48 pm

Ok, going to first start off by saying that I am completely obsessed over Will & Kate. Catherine is such a effortless classic beauty and it clearly shows over the past few days. Love that she has selected looks that will transcend the ages especially since we will be seeing these photos over and over again for years to come. However, something is bugging me about her hair. While I think it’s properly styled (albeit almost too proper), I can’t help but think a little smoothing serum would do a bit of good. And like you said, laying off the black eyeliner especially on the lower lashline would be really good idea.
As for the other Kates, looooove Kate Moss’ who wedding look. So pretty!! Katy Perry as a red head… meh… not hating it but not loving either. I can’t decide what hair colour, I prefer her having since I can’t even tell what her skintone truly is with all that make up covering it. On a side note- Kate Beckinsale (another Kate!!) was sitting behind me at the Katy Perry show last week. Holy cow, that woman is gorgeous. I kept staring at her hair lol

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 9:26 pm

Cool! Kate Beckinsale is such a natural beauty.

Kaite
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 12:08 am

I watched Will and Kate in Ottawa on Canada Day and I thought her fascinator was adorable I also really like her hair pulled back in the clips I’ll have to try that too.

I like kate moss’ vail but I’m not to sure about her dress, I suppose I like a more classic and girly look myself, she obviously made it look beautiful it’s just not my style.

Finally I actually kinda like Katys hair red, I think it works for her.
I am kinda hoping this mystery colour is not blond, I don’t really think that would suit her well at all. Maybe she’s just going lighter brown? or blondey brown and not full out bleach blonde? well one can hope yes? haha

Aly Z
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 8:00 am

I think Kate Windsor’s eyeliner is permanent…which isn’t awesome because it’s just a shade too heavy…plus it limits her makeup palate to just dark colours. She won’t be able to do lights on the corners of her eyes or anything because the black is totally going to overshadow that; what’s the point then? But she does always looks so stunning….the eyeliner is the ONLY thing that ever bugs me about her.

Kate Moss – gorgeous dress, she looks happy, but I don’t think she herself (face, body) looks great.

Katy Perry: totally cute as always and I actually don’t hate the red…but I prefer her with darker hair. I also think she’s going blonde…we’ll just have to see how it turns out!

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 8:20 pm

Katy IS blonde now – http://justjared.buzznet.com/2011/07/24/katy-perry-smurfette-dress-at-smurfs-premiere/
Alas, do not like.
I think Kate Moss’ “lifestyle” is definitely starting to show… but I’m still a fan.