So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me… and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

thin thighs

Most people, when they head to Muskoka—a region just north of Toronto that’s known as “cottage country”—partake in activities such as swimming, boating and barbequing.

Me? I get my fat cells blasted. Or at least I did a couple of weeks ago when I was invited to Windermere House, a 57-room resort on Lake Rosseau that features a sandy beach, swimming pool, tennis courts, four dining facilities (courtesy of Oliver & Bonacini)… and of course, a Sanctuary International Day Spa.

Trust me, this is MY kind of “cottaging.” But back to the fat-cell thing. Ever the hopeful guinea pig (as you’ll recall from my round of Zerona treatments last year), I offered up my thighs, under the supervision of medical director Dr. Cory Goldberg, to a non-invasive fat-reduction treatment called Liposonix. He will say that it’s too early to claim success here (and he’s right), but I FEEL like it’s already working—and obvi you want to know about it, AMIRITE?

First of all, let me just set the scene for you. This is Windermere House.

windermere house So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me... and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

And this is where the magic happens.

Windermere House spa room So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me... and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

Okay, actually there are six treatment rooms, and you can totally get normal spa services too, like massages and facials and manis and pedis. The latter take place here:

Windermere House spa room 2 So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me... and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

But Dr. Goldberg, or Dr. Cory as my fellow beauty eds and I now like to call him—cue pic…

Dr Cory Goldberg So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me... and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

…what he oversees is more medical in nature. (He’s a cosmetic plastic and craniofacial surgeon based primarily in Toronto, by the way.) Besides LipoSonix, which I’m going to tell you more about in a second, you can also get Botox and injectable fillers (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm and Teosyal). And you can do a SilkPeel, which is like microdermabrasion but also infuses a serum specific to your skin concern.

Anyway! I was very generously given the choice of what treatments I wanted to try, so OBVIOUSLY I went for the $2,000 LipoSonix over Bo and Juvie. I mean, it’s not every day that you get the chance to shrink down your thighs gratis. And like I said, even though the Zerona thing ended up being a waste of time (Dr. Cory told me any fat loss is from the Curva supplement, not the Zerona itself), I’m always hopeful… since my thighs really do need all the help they can get.

So what the heck is this LipoSonix thing? Here’s what the actual machine looks like:

liposonix treatment So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me... and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

And what it does is permanently destroy fat cells using high-intensity focused ultrasound.

Yes, permanently. Of course, they tell you that you still need to “hold up your end of the bargain”—which is to not use the treatment as an excuse to go hog-wild with FastFriedGreasies. (And if you don’t know that term, then you NEED to go see The Oatmeal’s greatest work evah.) But provided you behave, with a healthy diet and regular exercise, it’s just one treatment that you invest in what could be a lifetime of thin thighs. YES, PLEASE.

Now, you may have noticed that the lady in the pic above is having her (what looks like non-existant) belly fat blasted. That’s because the treatment, which was approved by Health Canada in 2009, was initially designed for just the stomach region. But many docs, including Dr. Cory, are now using it to contour the inner and outer thighs too.

Before you can go through with LipoSonix, it’s mandatory to have a consultation with Dr. Cory so he can determine whether or not you’re a candidate. (Apparently I was a “perfect” one, which essentially means that I am not overweight but have… or should I say “had”… slight bulgey pockets of fat, a.k.a. saddlebags, that the machine could target. Sob.) And this is where I had the full plastic surgery experience—meaning I had to strip down to my undies and open up the robe so that he could draw on my thighs with marker. Haven’t you always wanted to do that?

plastic surgery thighs So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me... and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

Just me? Maybe I’ve been watching too many episodes of Bridalplasty after all.

I’m actually not sure what he was drawing down there, because by this time he’d given me the hard drugs: a Percocet and an Ativan. Did I forget to mention that LipoSonix is painful? It is. But nobody said beauty was going to be easy.

Percocet So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me... and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

After about 20 minutes of marking up my thighs, the drugs started to kick in and I was as ready as I’d ever be. Basically, you’re lying under a blanket, in your underwear (at least it wasn’t a paper thong this time—I’m thankful for small mercies), with one leg sticking out while a handsome man wields an ultrasound wand in one hand and a spray bottle in the other. (The water is to mainly distract you from the pain, but also to cool down the skin.)

God, my job is weird sometimes. But I suggest, if you’re seriously interested in doing this, to do a search on YouTube to see what’s involved. There are a lot of videos in German, like this one:

Apparently they do it drug-free in Europe, which I can’t even fathom because even with the Percocet-Ativan combo, I felt it. LORD DID I FEEL IT. It’s kind of like laser hair removal, but worse. And they have to do not one, not two, but THREE passes of the treatment area.

But if that’s what it takes to kill off my fat cells, then so be it. Once they die, it takes about two or three months for the body to metabolize them, and to therefore see actual results. So no, this isn’t me—do you think I’m going to post a pic of myself in a thong? I found this on some German website—but you get the idea:

Liposonix before and after So I went to Muskoka, let a handsome plastic surgeon do LipoSonix on me... and came home with thin(ner) thighs. Whee!

I’m supposed to go back for my final measurements with Dr. Cory in September—which can conveniently be done at his Toronto office instead of back at Windermere.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a quickie vacay, right? If you plan to wear a bathing suit this summer, I’d suggest doing it as early or late in the season as possible because the main downside (aside from the hour of extreme pain) was that within 24 hours, I had a horrific, enormous purple bruise on each side. Still tender two weeks later, but they’re finally starting to disappear.

I will of course update you when I get Dr. Cory’s final assessment, but in the meantime, tell me:

Are you intrigued by this LipoSonix business or have I scared you off with the pain/semi-nudity?
Have you ever tried a fat reduction treatment (invasive or non)?
Is Windermere House the kind of “cottaging” you could get on board with?

editor@lipstickpowdernpaint.com
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 11:42 am

I SOOOO want to try this treatment! Thin thighs…sounds like a dream come true. Glad to hear your bruise is getting better!

Thursday, July 7/2011 at 8:36 pm

I know, right? What’s an hour of pain for thin thighs?

Thomas
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 11:53 am

I have been ever so slightly obsessed with the idea of cosmetic surgery for a while now. I have been told by my orthodontist that I can actually have a chin op to bring my jaw forward, therefore making my face much stronger etc. Turns out, this is actually a form of cosmetic surgery – I don’t know quite how I feel about this to be honest!

Do you think I should go for it? I don’t like my profile at all at the moment as my chin almost curves backwards instead of being a nice strong jaw so it might fix it :/

Still, I would LOVE THIS for my tummy. Like, I’d LOVE it. Would this be available in the UK? Your so lucky Michelle, just part of the job, go down to a spa and get free laser lipo… Just the norm haha :’)

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic of the moment Thomas xx

Thursday, July 7/2011 at 8:46 pm

Yep it’s available in the UK! I’ll definitely keep you posted on the results.

As for cosmetic surgery… I don’t put this treatment in that category since it’s non-invasive and not really changing a facial feature or key body part like boobs…. I would be very very careful about things like that! (See: Heidi Montag cautionary tale)

Were you always concerned about your chin or only when your ortho mentioned it? I feel like some docs can plant a seed that something is “wrong” with us when otherwise we’d never have noticed it… it’s a slippery slope.

It’s a really hard thing for me to advise on because I can totally understand where people are coming from when they say they hate a certain feature – and then fixing it improves their self-esteem (like my teeth!). But on the other hand there is definitely something to be said for loving yourself as is instead of striving for society’s version of “perfection.” Perfect can be boring. And lots of people who’ve had surgery can look “off”… but they can never get their original faces back. Also if you don’t have a skilled practitioner, cosmetic surgery for men can give them more feminine features (just like women can get more masculine looking) so just something to be aware of…

You’re still young so your face may very well change. Maybe check with a cosmetic dentist if you’re going through ortho anyway, because they can do some things with teeth (eg building them up with veneers) and it can change the appearance of your face. Not sure how much it would affect the jaw but maybe…

Cory Goldberg
Friday, September 30/2011 at 5:53 am

It is very common for the jaw bone to be underdeveloped on one or both sides of the face. This results in a “weak” or assymetric chin, but it often also results in poorly aligned teeth – that is where the orthodontists come in.

Fixing a chin can be done with “genioplasty” which involves sliding a piece of the chin bone to a new position, or using an implant to add the definition. It is possible to enhance a chin using injections of “filler” such as Teosyal or Restylane, which is a very effective and non-invasive way of achieving a great result with little risk and no down time.

thechicstorm
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 11:59 am

Dr. Cory and your thighs are indeed dreamy.

Thursday, July 7/2011 at 8:46 pm

Le sigh. I love that he wants to pop your Botox cherry!

marta
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 1:01 pm

It could not possibly hurt more than laser hair removal :(

Thursday, July 7/2011 at 8:47 pm

Well it’s been a few years since I did laser hair removal, so maybe the current machines are less painful… but that was the only thing that compares. That said, you’re doing LipoSonix on a less tender area. I’d much rather have that sensation on my outer thighs instead of groin and underarms!

Ali de Bold
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 5:31 pm

Ouch! Though I can totally see the appeal of having a treatment like that at the Windermere House. It’s so beautiful there. I think I might prefer weeks of punishment in the gym.

Thursday, July 7/2011 at 8:49 pm

I probably shouldn’t admit this, but I’m so lazy – I’ll take the hour of pain for the quick fix! Let’s just hope it works. :-)

Corinne
Wednesday, July 6/2011 at 9:07 pm

Provided I had the 2000$ (oh the joys of being a student) I would get this treatment in a heartbeat! Maybe in a few years. Can’t wait to learn how it will turn out for you.
And well, like the saying goes: “no pain, no gain”. I guess I could deal with the pain for an hour. Especially if the treatment’s good for the rest of my life!

Thursday, July 7/2011 at 8:50 pm

My thoughts exactly! Am always skeptical of these things but this one sounds like the real deal… I’ll post again with hopefully some good things to say!

Nomadic D
Thursday, July 7/2011 at 10:09 am

um, like laser hair removal but worse? no thanks. I’ll just wear pants.

Thursday, July 7/2011 at 8:51 pm

Well laser hair removal is at least 4-6 treatments minimum… whereas this is a one time deal! I can do almost anything once. :-)

jenny
Friday, July 8/2011 at 3:31 am

oh how i want this one my belly!!! the rest of my body is fine except for my bulge….anyone wanna lend me 2 grand?

Suzanne
Friday, July 8/2011 at 1:56 pm

I am REALLY not an advocate of plastic surgery. Go to the gym — the results are the same, although they take longer, but the results will last longer, too.

Friday, July 8/2011 at 4:19 pm

It’s not plastic surgery! LipoSonix is non-invasive.

chris
Thursday, March 29/2012 at 11:31 pm

Bull, I do the gym 2 hours a day, kick, step, power, bootcamp and I run 30 miles and cant get rid of the cellulite, shaded areas on back and side of my thighs. I have to reach 98lbs for it to disappear nearly but look like I am anorexic. I try creams and massage myself, you cannot spot treat the skin at the gym. I have just completed 5 weeks of 45 min leg and butt weights every day which has helped a little but still there, so try not to sound like an authority when you don’t have facts

Steph
Friday, July 8/2011 at 5:16 pm

I wonder how this compares to liposuction in the sense that they both “remove” fat in regards to the study I attached,

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:52 pm

Yes I heard about that! I forgot to ask Dr. Cory – I’ll mention it. I’m actually ok with the fat returning in another place… it would definitely make me more proportionate!

J
Friday, July 8/2011 at 10:56 pm

If this actually works and produces permanent results, I’m going to start saving up for it!!

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:52 pm

I will keep you posted!

Daniela Hofmann
Tuesday, July 12/2011 at 10:10 pm

Wow – very interesting! I am looking into RF for cellulite right now – the Lumicel Wave 6 in particular. I would like to expand my clinic and would LOVE to find the right cellulite “buster” – NOT the Zerona. I read that story – along with so many others who were disappointed. My clients know me for my honesty and determination to offer only the best for them. I will keep you posted on my findings too!
Love your articles!

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:54 pm

What is RF? I haven’t heard of that one before. I wish the LipoSonix worked for cellulite but Dr. Goldberg told me it doesn’t.
Yes Zerona is a total scam… the weight loss comes from Curva.

Cory Goldberg
Tuesday, August 2/2011 at 4:09 pm

Liposonix is similar to Liposuction in that they both are body contouring procedures that can target isolated areas of fat – those hard to reduce areas like “saddle bags” (outer thighs) and that pouch on the lower tummy. Neither are weight loss techniques. However, Liposuction can remove more fat than Liposonix; though it comes with the recovery and the downsides of a surgical procedure. If the fat deposits are not too large and someone is inclinced to avoid surgery, then Liposonix is a great option.
I strongly encourage people to modify diet and lifestyle to achieve a healthy weight and a good level of fitness. Despite best efforts, our genetics are stacked against us (especially women). Women’s genes are programmed to gain weight around the torso and thighs to optimize fertility and keep the core warm. Nature is fighting against our efforts at having a fit body! If someone is unable to eliminate those stubborn fat pockets with diet and lifestyle, then body contouring is the next option to consider.

Daniela Hofmann
Thursday, August 4/2011 at 9:06 am

Sorry Michelle, RF is just Radio Frequency. I am comparing the Lumicell Wave 6 and the Velashape. I would love to know what kind of results people have been having with those.
Thanks for the great articles. I love hearing about your experiences.

Wendy castle
Friday, September 23/2011 at 9:47 am

Hi! It’s september, just wondering what your end results were. thx.

Michelle Shepherd
Thursday, September 29/2011 at 8:33 am

I’m interested too I am large but have pockets that just bother me with 2 c-sections in my history I’m wondering how the scar tissue would deal with the ultrasound any idea?

Cory Goldberg
Friday, September 30/2011 at 5:49 am

Liposonix is not meant to be used over areas where there is scar tissue. However, in the case of C-section it is often possible to treat above and below the scar line and achieve a good result.

Crystal O.
Friday, September 30/2011 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for the informative articles Michelle… there is a Zerona lipo offer on livingsocial and I was tempted to buy it, but I’m going to pass based on your reviews. I like how liposonix sounds, but I’m curious: would the treatment work not only on thighs, but on upper arms? I’m blessed with fat upper arms (thanks genetics) and I’m interested in anything that can give me the edge over them! lol. Dr. Cory, if you’re reading this, what do you think is the best option to slim down that particular area? Is liposonix a good option?

Cory Goldberg
Saturday, October 1/2011 at 11:09 am

The upper arm is one area that there is not a good solution for. The issue is that removal of fat from the upper arm using liposuction (or Liposonix) would “deflate’ the area and leave extra skin – not a good improvement even for people who have larger arms.

For people who have lost alot of weight, extra skin can be removed in an Arm Lift (Brachioplasty), but this leaves a fairly long scar on the undersurface of the arm. Thus, there needs to be a fairly large amount of extra skin to make that a worthwhile trade-off.

Tara
Sunday, November 20/2011 at 1:47 pm

Hi everyone i am 32 a mother of two and i just had Liposonix done Friday Nov 18/2011.. It is now Sunday Nov 20/11.. I can say is i have exercised crazy since the birh of my son weighing 9 lbs 8ozs 3 yrs ago.. I lost 25lbs and now weigh 134 with loose skin and an inch of fat around my mind section.. I also have some loose skin on my inner upper thighs.. I worked with P90X, Insanity, turbo Fire and so many other great workouts but nothing wa gonna fix this for me.. I was depressed and over all just not happy.. What to expect from this procedure is they take before pictures with you before measurements.. You take your Antivan and pain meds.. They use a water bottle constantly so is soothes you while distracting you from the tingling,popping of the fat burning feeling.. I have to say above the belly button and love handles was a breeze bit as soon as it was time for my lower abs to be targeted wow is all i can say.. I was swearing cause my area on which the laser was on was soo freaken hot.. i keep saying spray , spray with water.. I even pinched the nurses arm haha out of reflex.. Then i was given a stress ball which helped. Afte two hrs of this treatment i think i can handle anything.. I have heard some ppl cry but really not that bad.. 20 seconds on each area which numbered you have it done over that spot 3 times.. each time i found was hotter then the last… So i brusied right away and left swollen.. 2 days later still bruised more now and still swollen.. The say in 48 hrs that i can resumme my workouts but ya that i dont think is gonna happen until the tenderness is gone.. hey should also give out pain meds for afterwards cause they didnt.. My thighs are not sore but a too bruised.. i hope On March 9 /2012 when i go for my check up i am happy with the results.. my stomach was 1299 plus tax adn my thighs were 500 plus tax.. I went to Peterborough,on to have this done @ The Peterborough laser Clinic Andrea the RN was great made me laugh as i did her.. A great team of profeessionals.. If i need another procedure done suchas Titan skin tightening done after my check up i will go back, as it was the loose skin that was my issue not so much the fat loss.. But have to get rid of the fat before the skin will tighen up. thanks Tara

Dr. Cory S. Goldberg
Monday, November 21/2011 at 5:05 am

It is important to understand that Liposonix is intended to eliminate fat pockets with ultrasound, but does not target the skin. Loose skin is generally an indication that Liposonix may not be the best option. Good skin quality and tightness is one of the requirements to be a good candidate for Liposonix.

Dale Bice
Tuesday, February 4/2014 at 3:22 pm

My fiance is 43 and as far as i am concerned perfect , but she complains about her saggy breasts and says she has very little feeling in her nipples or they are in her words “lazy” very hard to get erect… she has lost alot of weight and the rest of her body is toned very well as she is a very active person …but she would like to have her breasts lifted and perky, they were a 36d and now she wears a 36c bra …we live in peterborough ontario and travel is not a very easy option for her, is there someone close that has a good reputation that could help, and we would need to save as we are on odsp , i want to find help for her as she is the most incredible important person in the world ….I want to see her happy and smile about herself again, because even though i think she is all that and a bag of chips lol she doesn’t …

Tara
Wednesday, November 23/2011 at 12:53 pm

Dr Cory S Goldberg
I was informed before i had the procedure done that because of the small amount of loose skin i have that the liposonix would also help elimate fat and would also tighen up my skin.. They said i was a great candidate and that is why i had it done.. No one really tells you what to expect after you have the treatment .. I am soo bruised and i havent been able to go back to my normal routine.. I am still swollen 5.5 days later and i wish i had some pain meds to help as i am not sleeping.. I hope i wasnt misinformed of what i should expect out of my results.. Only time will tell take care everyone Tara.

Dr. Cory S. Goldberg
Thursday, November 24/2011 at 6:49 am

If there is a small amount of loose skin, your body has the ability to tighten this. However, how much your skin can tighten is dependent on your genetics, age, and pregnancies – the machine cannot induce skin tightening.

The Liposonix system is very effective, but to do so, it is delivering a large amount of ultrasound energy into the fat. While there are no incisions and so this is non-surgical, there are real and significant effects on the fat internally that cause swelling and bruising as you would expect with surgery. Generally, this is much less painful than liposuction with less bruising and swelling, and so recovery is much shorter. Also, there are no surgical sites that can have complications from early activity, so there are no restrictions on exercise after Liposonix (except your own comfort…).

ROSE
Sunday, November 27/2011 at 11:15 am

Dr.Cory,
I have exercised and exercised to get rid of post-menopausal thickening of mid-section. I’m considered a slender build but no longer have a waistline. I can certainly pinch a few inches of midsection, and have muffin top now when wearing my tight jeans. I have a scar on my belly, 6 inches long, from splenectomy 35 years ago. Can I do the Liposonix safely and effectively? I take a baby aspirin daily, does this have to be terminated before the procedure, since bruising was mentioned.

mackytack
Wednesday, January 11/2012 at 7:49 am

so? whatever happened to michelle? and why have we stopped hearing from her? she was giving regular updates, and then suddenly stopped…..why????? Dr Cory?

chris
Thursday, March 29/2012 at 11:45 pm

wondering the same thing. I exercise 2+ hours a day (cardio and weights) and eat pretty healthily plus run alot buy not helping thigh and bum cellulite (and shady patches). Doing butt and thigh weights daily is helping a little but only goes away when I am 98lb and I don’t want to be that skinny as look anorexic. The local docs does Tri-Active™ LaserDermology(SM) System by Cynosure, do you have any advice on if this works or is it like cellupulse where it just comes back so you have to keep having treatment? I have tried massage and creams and get a little disheartened knowing I work really hard and can’t get to how I want to look (maybe its a bit obsessive but after a week of all the fitness I feel I have earnt some results) thanks

jack
Monday, May 14/2012 at 4:35 pm

Thats right, for skin tightening Uk docs tell us that thermage can be an effective treatment for tightening skin to an extent, Cynosure get great resultes with Liposonix Cellulaze etc.. But I believe its best to ask your doctor what to expect.. If its stubborn pockets of fat, Liposonix can help

Great Blog by the way

Kiley
Saturday, June 29/2013 at 12:24 pm

I have been researching scholarly articles on this..All you need is a 2-3 mHz ultrasound/ultrasonic therapy device. You can buy one online for around $80. I am totally going to spot treat my self, forget the $2,000!
Good to know that they pass over the area of treatment 3x. How long does each pass take?