Baby Love You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Here’s how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

Michelle Trachtenberg ponytail You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

When it comes to wearing your hair back—whether it’s in a bun, ponytail, braid or top knot—I have a pretty strong point of view. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: 99 percent of the population looks better when their hair is slightly disheveled and messy, as opposed to super-tight and super-slicked.

Why? Because those soft little baby hairs around the hairline (as well as a looser, slightly texturey ‘do) are MUCH kinder on our features. Scraping and/or slicking your hair back so severely will basically shine a great big spotlight on the state of your skin, how well you’ve applied your foundation and blush, the size of your nose and how much your ears stick out. For starters. This is why it’s usually best left to models and celebrities.

That said, reader Aja, whose question was the inspiration for this post, would still like to know this:

Are there any good hair products to slick back those damn baby hairs that always poke about when I put my hair up?

For those of you who love that look (or should I say, can pull it off!), I’m gonna share a great little trick on how to tame them baby hairs. And for the rest of us, who need the softness around our faces, I want to tell you about an easy method to get that cool fuzzy halo.

First, a couple of visual examples to make sure you know exactly what I’m talkin’ about here.

Here’s Doutzen Kroes (check out my video with her here) demonstrating the fuzzy baby hair look:

Doutzen Kroes Cannes 20111 You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

Yes, she’s gorgeous enough to pull off any hairstyle (and even this sort of terrible yellow eyeshadow), but I totally dig the texture here.

Maybe a better example of a non-supermodel person is SJP:

Sarah Jessica Parker ponytail You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

Because she has fairly strong features, I think the fuzz gives her face some much-needed softness. I also happen to love the baby hair on Alexa Chung:

Alexa Chung updo You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

Compare and contrast with something like this:

Kirsten Dunst is a very attractive woman (and she’s Girl Hot too!), but I just don’t think this super-tight, super-slick top knot looks good. Compared to the effortless, fuzzy “halo hair,” this is much less flattering and feels a bit like it’s trying too hard.

Know what I mean? Now for the tips!

How to coax your baby hairs into the soft ‘n’ sexy “halo” effect

Depending on your natural hair texture, you might not really even need to do much coaxing! So this is primarily for those of us with hair that’s on the fine, straight, flat side. (Sob.)

Lately, I like to use this product:

Kevin Murphy Powder Puff You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

Or this one is also fab:

Schwarzkopf Got2b Powderful You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

Regular dry shampoos are not what you want here—you need a hair powder that morphs into a clear texturizing product once you rub it in your hair or between your fingers.

Just sprinkle it around the top of your head (a little goes a long way but you can do it in sections underneath your part), and then start to work it in, pushing up from the roots. Pretty quickly, you should notice that it’s giving your hair some bulk and volume, as well as the beginnings of that fuzzy halo. Kevin Murphy has a great video demonstrating how to use his product.

Then—to REALLY bring out those cute baby hairs, take your wrist (not your palm), and move it in a circular motion all across your hairline. It’s basically a twist on the backcomb method of teasing, and will instantly give you that halo we’re after.

A few more things:

• Only do this on dry hair.
  • Skip the hairspray or any other prodz after you finish—they’ll ruin the effect.
  • If your hair is pulled back in an elastic, place both hands at the back of your head on either side of it, and gently pull forward. This will make your ‘do just ever so slightly looser. (Read: cooler.)
  • Don’t try to pull out large chunky tendrils at the front, because then you’ll risk looking a bit dated. Whitney Port showcases this Beauty Don’t:

Whitney Port top knot You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

Yowza.

How to tame your baby hairs if they’re bugging you

I actually love this trick, even though I’m a pro-baby hair type of person. Here’s the secret: it’s actually not the product that matters so much, but the tool that you use… which is this!

toothbrush You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

That’s right. Grab a (new, clean) soft-bristled toothbrush and spray it with hairspray. This one is most hairdressers’ fave:

LOreal Paris Elnett Hairspray Extra Strong Hold Unscented You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

As an alternative to hairspray, you could use a smoothing or shine-boosting serum. The Frizz Ease one would work great.

John Frieda Frizz Ease Serum You know those baby hairs around your forehead? Heres how to play them up—or (if you must) tame them into submission

Then, just use the toothbrush to brush down the sections you want to tame, and you’re done! Frizz zeroed in on and smoothed, without weighing down the rest of your hairstyle.

Get the products

Have your say

Do you love the soft ‘n fuzzy baby hair halo effect?
Or are you on Team Super-Sleek?
Do you have a trick of your own for dealing with baby hairs?

Jenncharina
Thursday, July 7/2011 at 7:37 pm

The post-pregnancy hair loss resulted in tons of baby hair. It stick straight up! It looks like a wave of hair soldiers along my hairline. I’ll try the hair powder. Hopefully I end up looking cutely disheveled instead of just disheveled.

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:19 pm

Craziness! Hormones do some weird stuff to your body. I hope the powder works – make sure to get the kind that turns into a liquid instead of staying powder-like.

Lime
Friday, July 8/2011 at 1:37 am

Not everyone has baby hairs around their hairline, but for those who do aloe vera gel is a cheap and effective way to keep em in place. It works for flyaways too, and as a curl enhancer and non-drying extra hold gel.

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:20 pm

Interesting! Does it dry crispy? Can you brush out without losing the hold?

Nomadic D
Friday, July 8/2011 at 2:20 am

I like the baby hairs, and I like the slick. As someone who pretty much lives with my hair up, I guess it’s good that there’s some variety in that. I am definitely going to try out the hair powder, I’m so curious about it, and while I’m not a hair product girl AT ALL, I do have very thick and straight hair, so sometimes I think it’d be nice to get a little more texture in there. And I have to say, the toothbrush trick is awesome. We use it all the time to do our hair for the stage, especially if you’re doing on of those low side-part buns and you want to avoid that piece-y comb-over look, the toothbrush smooths everything out and makes it look flawless. Why did I never think of using it in everyday life? Oh, right, cause I never do my hair… In any case, great tips!

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:21 pm

I’m pretty much obsessed with this powder stuff! If you try let me know what you think.

marta
Friday, July 8/2011 at 3:51 am

Loved this post! I don’t have baby hairs but I will be using this tips for flyaways.

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:21 pm

Great! Hope it works for you!

Corina
Friday, July 8/2011 at 4:08 am

As a teenager, I used to pluck those baby hairs :)). I used to envy those people who have a cowlick on their forehead, and their hair just stays up and seems so smooth on that area.

Howewer, now I’m wearing bangs and love the messy look, so…better late than never, i guess :)

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, I’ve heard that a lot of people still do… also if they have a widow’s peak. I have one that is combined with a cowlick and trust me, you would not envy! I am tempted to pluck but too scared of how weird it would look to grow back.

Corina
Saturday, July 16/2011 at 3:20 am

Oh yes, I did try to recreate the widow’s peak back then, by not plucking the hairs in the center of my forehead, I totally forgot about that=)))))). I don’t really remember how they used to look while growing back, but I think it wasn’t that bad (otherwise I would probably remember:) )

Aqsa Butt
Sunday, April 20/2014 at 2:19 pm

I just checked your blog!
Do NOT pluck your baby hairs!!!!
I’m growing my baby hair back after I’ve been plucking em’ for almost 4 years!
I can’t tell you how much I’m regretting this… Arghhhhhh…..
It looks so damn ugly! And therefore I’m wearing bangs… And I hate bangs!
Just DON’T do it!

Thomas
Friday, July 8/2011 at 9:39 am

To be honest this doesn’t particularly apply to me but I have to say this, how amazingly beautiful does Alexa Chung look in that picture? Sometimes her face structure isn’t particularly flattering, but she just looks amazing there.

Plus Whitney looks like some dropped a cake on her head.

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic of the moment Thomas xx

Thomas
Friday, July 8/2011 at 9:42 am

*someone

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:23 pm

Doesn’t she? I love that photo of her too – who knew she was so pretty underneath all that messy hair?

Laura
Tuesday, July 12/2011 at 2:43 pm

Using a clean mascara wand also works well. I usually grab a few from Sephora or any other department store that sells make up!

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:23 pm

Great tip!

Gimped
Wednesday, July 13/2011 at 6:25 pm

What about John Freida’s Full Repair Touch-Up FlyAway Tamer? Or does the toothbrush thing work just the same?

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:25 pm

That would work too! I guess the toothbrush + whatever serum or hairspray you have on hand might be cheaper though…

Emma
Tuesday, April 10/2012 at 8:24 am

i usually pluck the front baby hairs and leave the rest loose so it looks natural

Glittery
Saturday, January 19/2013 at 9:20 am

funny story: i always hated those baby hairs, and once my boyfriend who didn’t know about that told me how much he likes it when I don’t straighten my hair because then “you have these tiny baby hairs and it looks so cute and sexy”. didn’t have the heart to tell him that it had nothing to do with straightening but more with how much time I took for styling my hair :)

Me
Thursday, February 7/2013 at 7:07 pm

I prefer baby hair, but when I was in high school, I was in show choir and we needed it slick back. My hair would never stay!

Jamie
Wednesday, May 8/2013 at 4:23 pm

Well I have very bad baby hair, I cut it because it annoyed me now I realised it was a bad idea. My baby hair now looks like a completely full fringe when I already have a side fringe. I can’t seem to do anything to get rid of it

Sirena
Tuesday, June 11/2013 at 8:50 pm

I have fine and straight hair (bleh), and I have always had baby hair along my hair line that didn’t really bother me. After pregnancy my hair started falling out in chunks. Now that it’s finally growing back, baby hairs have sprouted up all over my head! I’ll definitely have to give a few of these tricks a try because I love wearing my hair up.

Sj
Tuesday, June 18/2013 at 5:29 am

I have a TON of baby hairs…and my ears stick waaay out, so i cant pull off the super slick look even if i wanted to.

Alexia
Saturday, July 13/2013 at 5:22 pm

I’m definitely going to try this trick. I have naturally curly-ish hair, and my baby hairs annoy me to no end. I would be fine with them if they didn’t stick up and out like some sort of demented Dagwood thing.

Karen Curay
Thursday, July 25/2013 at 11:56 pm

It is true that taming baby hairs isn’t really necessary especially if you follow the tips above on how to make them work and become part of a stylish hairstyle. Baby hairs add beauty to a person’s features and make us look more human. The one on Kirsten Dunst looks terrible! However, there are some hairstyles that look great without the baby hairs but I still prefer letting them hang out naturally than constraining them.

diana
Monday, February 24/2014 at 5:12 pm

I like your idea of slicking it back in a way that it looks messy, yet neat at the same time. My baby hairs are about the length of forehead bangs, but they are thin so they can’t pass off as bangs. Plus they frizz up, and when I brust them back they stick back up and look like I didn’t even brush my hair in the morning. Also, the only way to control them is with moose/hairspray, but I don’t want to always wear a super tight and slick hairstyle. Anyway to fix?

Vinnie
Sunday, March 9/2014 at 12:02 am

Does anyone know how Kim Kardashian tamed her baby hair? I have baby hair that looks just like her “before” pictures and I would love to get rid of it and have the “after” result. Oh hell, i guess only baby hairs could make me like something at this girl. You see how desperate I am?

Lacey
Saturday, March 15/2014 at 7:34 pm

There is nothing hot about Kirsten Dunst.

virginia
Saturday, April 5/2014 at 10:46 am

I have two types of baby hairs: the little ones that are like 1 cm long and the bigger ones that are kind of long like up to 10 cm and thick as the rest of my hair but they aren’t long enough for a pony tail. Any of them will not grow up more. They drive me nuts! I live in Buenos Aires, wich is a very humid city, so they stick out horrible! I look like a porcupine! And with the humidity they tend to get curly and frizzy even when my hair is mostly straight!
They are ten times worst than Doutzen Kroes situation. They don’t look cute, there is to much going on! LOL
Also they are to long and thick for any hairpray or gel :( What would you recomend?

Gabriela
Tuesday, April 22/2014 at 7:00 pm

My baby hair grows in curly. So I have straight hair and then curls in the front do you know why? Is there anything I can do to get them to grow in straight like the rest of my hair?