Video: It’s Hair Colour 101! How to choose the right shade and maintain your colour at home… plus the celeb secret I absolutely swear by

J. Mendel spring 2011 hair and makeup

Marie Robinson is back! Like I said when I introduced the first vid in this series, she is not only colour director for Clairol (a seriously important gig) but also a seriously Big Deal in celeb-land, since she’s the go-to colourist for many (most?) of our favourite starlets, including ScarJo, Natalie Portman, Rachel McAdams and more. So you can understand why, for a beauty ed, just being in the same room with her is pretty special—let alone getting the chance to pick her brain! I died and went to beauty heaven.

Last time we heard about the trendiest shades for summer ’11 and the corresponding Clairol prodz to buy, since I like to be servicey. Today, you get 7 amazing tips on everything from finding the right shade to how often it’s safe to colour.

(PS: Please forgive a short hiatus on the editor’s picks vids. It’s not that I’m slacking on the reviewing—au contraire, I’m actually once again in the midst of testing about 15 different and highly exciting prodz for an upcoming story in FLARE. I’ll be reporting back soon on some sooper-cool innovations.)

In the meantime, for those of you who colour your hair—or are kinda sorta thinking about it—here’s the brand-new Hair Colour 101 vid:

A couple of these ideas may sound familiar, but if they don’t I will now gently nudge you to a couple of older posts: I’ve already written about how my life changed when I stopped doing highlights only and switched to a base colour/highlight combination. (In a nutshell, it’s why celebrity hair always looks so awesome.) And we’ve also talked about how there are no rules anymore for not just makeup but also hair colour. The trick is to find the particular tone that flatters you—and you might just surprise yourself with what looks good.

Tell me:

Do you do an all-over base shade, or just highlights? (If you’re naturally mouse, doing both will Blow Your Mind—I swear.)
Speaking of mind-blowing, what do you make of Marie’s philosophy towards choosing the right shade… do you agree that anyone can wear any colour?
If you’re a salon-colourer, do you think you might try touching up your roots yourself at home?

Thomas
Monday, July 11/2011 at 10:37 am

I’m ill at home off school today, bored out my mind, and I’m almost embarrassed to say the amount of joy that another Marie Robinson video brought me!! Absolutely perfect, I also loved how she gave celebrity examples of colours as well so we could see what some shades would really look like i.e. the Lauren Conrad dark ash blonde. But yes. Also, again perfect for me as I’m about to make the drastic change from sooper light blonde to chocolate brown, and it just so happens that it’s been six months since I first went blonde! Perfect timing :D

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic of the moment Thomas xx

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:44 pm

Ooooh chocolate brown! Do you have a pic you can show us of your target colour?

PS – One more Marie vid to come – on colour care!

Thomas
Saturday, July 16/2011 at 5:06 am

This is the exact shade and product I’m using… https://www.lojaslivia.com.br/Imagens/produtos/02/058802/058802_Ampliada.jpg
Ignore the writing on it, it’s the only pic online I could find that actually showed the colour properly. Also OMG I can’t believe the next video’s on colour care, because seeing as my hair is bleached, it won’t hold onto the colour as well AND its semi permanent (recommended by my hair dresser because its less damaging than permanent and I can top it up more often) so this whole series of video have been like, tailor-made for me haha :’)

marta
Monday, July 11/2011 at 1:19 pm

I found a great colourist that highlights my hair in 2 different shades of blonde, and it looks pretty good to my eyes… but then maybe it would look even better if I had a base shade! I might ask her next time (which should happen in 2 weeks). And no, I would never do a touch-up myself unless it was absolutely necessary… I only go there every 3 months so I can live with that :)

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:45 pm

My mom’s pretty good with colour so I’ve let her do my touch-ups in the past… although with my current shade I’m with you – not sure if I’d risk it. (The strawberry would be pretty hard to match.) I would totally DIY though if I had more blonde or brunette…

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:47 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention – if you do a base colour + highlights + toner, it actually allows you to go longer in between highlight jobs. I only get highlights every 3rd time (which I think keeps it more natural). Every 6-8 weeks I’ll go in and get them to touch up my roots only, and then do a toner all the way through. It’s a lot cheaper (around $70) compared to highlights ($150+) every time!

Marina(Makeup4All)
Tuesday, July 12/2011 at 9:24 am

Oh how I wish such a pro as Marie Robinson would do something nice with my hair. It is such a stress to visit hairdressers for me.

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:46 pm

Have you put any colour in it lately or still contemplating the highlights?

Jane
Tuesday, July 12/2011 at 1:18 pm

I would love to do a base colour/highlight combination. I hate the obvious stripes you get with highlights, no matter how natural I ask for those highlights to look.

I wonder about re-growth with the base colour/highlight combination, though. Would you need to do this more often that just regular highlights?

Friday, July 15/2011 at 6:49 pm

No not at all! Well if you get a shade that’s fairly close to your base. See my comment #2 to Marta above. I go every 6-8 weeks and it has saved me a lot of $$$… not to mention I’m sooooo much happier now that I don’t have the stripey highlight look at the roots with an ashy base colour. Getting rid of the ash was life-changing!