Rosario Dawson - The Zookeeper premiere 2011

So you’ve properly prepared (by reading this post) and are touched-up, plucked, bronzed, exfoliated, plumped and painted. Whew! Now it’s time to figure out what the heck you should do with your hair for that wedding coming up.

I have nothing against blow-dry bars in theory—they do provide a fantastic service, after all—and I often think about going to one outside of the times when I’m invited as a member of the media. Except that whenever I let anyone other than this guy style my hair, I tend to walk out happy only about 12 percent of the time. So ungrateful, aren’t I? Well, what can I say—I’m picky. But also, not many people can do a good blow-dry without resorting to the dreaded Mermaid Hair or Anchorwoman Hair or even I Could Have Stayed Home and Did This Myself Hair.

This is why I tend to take the DIY route. And you can too! You just need a little sumpin’-sumpin’ to elevate your usual look and make it a bit more special. So! I found three gorgeous celebs to demonstrate three gorgeous options: a hair-down style, a ponytail and a bun. Here are the deets!

LOOK #1: Olivia Wilde’s bangs ‘n high pony

Olivia Wilde Chrysalis Butterfly Ball 2011 Going to a wedding this summer? Here are 3 easy hairstyle ideas that you can totally DIY—no professional help required!

Olivia Wilde is really growing on me. Maybe it’s because she’s been linked to so many handsome men lately. Or (more likely) it’s because the way she’s styling herself has MUCH improved. It all started with the bangs. And remember how she used to go so overboard on the makeup? Thankfully it’s toned down now.

Anyway! This ponytail look, I think, is a perfect ‘do for anyone with bangs and hair that’s at least shoulder-length or longer. Ponytails can really be hit and miss when you’re trying to look dressed up, but I think bangs can make all the difference. They automatically dress it up!

Here’s the side view—notice how the hair has been wrapped around the elastic to conceal it.

Olivia Wilde Chrysalis Butterfly Ball 2011 2 Going to a wedding this summer? Here are 3 easy hairstyle ideas that you can totally DIY—no professional help required!

HOW-TO:

1. As soon as you get out of the shower, style those bangs so that they don’t dry in a weird, annoying shape. Use a round brush to dry them straight, flipping back and forth from one side to the other. (Don’t curl them under, however. If you want, you can go over them very lightly with a flat iron.)

2. Put a volumizing (and ideally, heat-protective) product or two at your roots, flip your hair upside down, and then blow-dry the rest of your hair. When it’s still damp, put in a beach texturizing spray or a mousse such as Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly (or both!) in order to encourage some natural wave. Use your fingers to sort of scrunch your hair as it dries—this will give you Olivia-like texture. If you’re using a mousse, you also want to do the Charles Baker Strahan signature tousling technique: work the mousse it into your roots with the pads of your fingers, vigorously moving them back and forth to create movement in the underneath layers.

3. Pull your hair back into a high ponytail and secure it with a clear elastic band. Take a small section and wrap it around the elastic, securing it with mini bobby pins (ESSENTIAL!) in a crisscross pattern.

4. Copy Olivia’s makeup. Isn’t it amazing? I love the slightly ’60s thing she has going on with the upper lash line only.

LOOK #2: Rosario Dawson’s sideswept waves

Rosario Dawson The Zookeeper premiere 2011 Going to a wedding this summer? Here are 3 easy hairstyle ideas that you can totally DIY—no professional help required!

Remember how I said retro looks are really in style this season? This is an awesome way to channel the trend without having to execute something as complicated as say, what Emma Roberts did here. Just pulling it to one side instantly makes long hair more special.

But there is an extra touch of interest here—check out the cute braid!

Rosario Dawson The Zookeeper premiere 2011 2 Going to a wedding this summer? Here are 3 easy hairstyle ideas that you can totally DIY—no professional help required!

HOW-TO:

1. Apply a heat-protective product before blow-drying your hair smooth.

2. Create long, loose waves with either a curling iron (harder) or hot rollers (easier). If you’re using the former, make sure it’s a larger barreled one. This is a good little how-to vid. However, I’m still no good at fiddling with hand-held heat tools, so I usually just put my hair up in hot rollers. Spray the sections with hairspray first to help hold the curl, and then let the rollers cool completely before you take them out.

3. Brush out the curls and smooth them with a tiny drop of hair serum or pomade.

5. Take a small section from one side and loosely braid it to a few inches below your ear. To secure it, crisscross your bobby pins (in the same colour as your hair).

LOOK #3: Blake Lively’s textured, braided bun

Blake Lively BAFTA Brits to Watch event 2011 2 Going to a wedding this summer? Here are 3 easy hairstyle ideas that you can totally DIY—no professional help required!

We praised this look already the other day, but I think it’s worth including here because unlike many of the fancy-schmanzy updos you see in Hollywood-land, this one is actually something we can copy at home. A messy texture is very forgiving!

Here’s the back view:

Blake Lively BAFTA Brits to Watch event 2011 3 Going to a wedding this summer? Here are 3 easy hairstyle ideas that you can totally DIY—no professional help required!

HOW-TO:

1. Follow the directions above for getting Olivia’s beachy texture (sans straight bangs, of course). Sprinkle in some hair powder and work it in with your fingers to beef up the texture.

2. Take a small section from the left side of the crown and braid it, leaving a few inches at the end. If it will stay in the braid without an elastic, then don’t use one—but if not, secure with a clear elastic. Repeat on the right side.

3. Leaving the two braids loose, create a third, thicker braid with the rest of the hair at the nape of the neck, again securing it at the end with a clear elastic band. Then, wrap it around itself to create a loose, low bun, fastening it as securely as possible with crisscrossed bobby pins.

4. Finally, wrap each remaining braid around the bun, creating a circular shape and then loosely pinning. Pull away some tendrils around the face to complete the beachy feel.

And there you have it—three seriously DIY-friendly hairstyles. You’re welcome.

Tell me:

Which one is your favourite—Olivia’s, Rosario’s or Blake’s?
What do you usually do with your hair for weddings or other special events?
I found this pic of Anne Hathaway when I was searching for wedding stuff. Obviously not appropriate for a guest… but do you like this for a bride?

Anne Hathaway White Fairytale Love Ball 2011 Going to a wedding this summer? Here are 3 easy hairstyle ideas that you can totally DIY—no professional help required!

Thomas
Friday, July 15/2011 at 2:07 pm

Ugh. How much do I love Anne Hathaway. Except for the makeup, that’s pretty damn bad. Also, OLIVIA’S CHEEKBONES. Where was she made because I want one.

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic Thomas xx

Friday, July 15/2011 at 5:43 pm

Yes those cheekbones could cut glass!

Courtney
Friday, July 15/2011 at 2:24 pm

I too am always unimpressed with a professional blowout. I feel like most hair dressers over to it with the tools and product.

I always do my own hair for any event. I am unsure if I even want to have someone else touch my hair for my OWN wedding, let alone someone else’s.

Friday, July 15/2011 at 5:44 pm

You understand! I feel exactly the same. Although I suppose for a wedding one would have the luxury of a trial run beforehand… I hope!

Jennifer
Friday, July 15/2011 at 2:51 pm

Anne looks like a Halloween costume gone bad! The hair itself is cute imo(the accessory isn’t too pretty, though) but the makeup is overpowering! The heavy liner, heavy cheeks, and weirdly stained-like lips! Eek!
But I do love Rosario’s look, love the waves and the subtle makeup. She’s such a beauty.

Friday, July 15/2011 at 5:45 pm

I think the worst part is the Kabuki face – she just looks so chalky. But there are elements of it that I actually like… it were toned down x 10000.

I saw Rosario in real life (at NYFW) once… total gorgeousness.

Joyce
Friday, July 15/2011 at 3:14 pm

I wish I could get my bangs separated on the ends like Olivia’s. Have you heard of a pomade or styling product that makes your bangs piecey — not greasy?

Friday, July 15/2011 at 5:48 pm

I think that has to do with the cut itself not a specific product. I never put stuff in my bangs because (especially when you have fine hair), “clumpy” and “greasy” are not all that far away from “piecey.” I would bring a pic to your hairdresser and get him/her to copy – my guy always does this but I’m not sure what the cutting technique is actually called. I think he cuts straight across first and then cuts into the hair at the ends to make it a bit choppy.

Nomadic D
Friday, July 15/2011 at 3:24 pm

Anne looks pretty bad in that photo. Talk about overkill on the makeup! But I do love the two hidden braid options, the sideswept waves are just meh for me but when you add that subtle hidden braid on the other side, I’m hooked. And I love Blake’s braided bun too. Loving the braids in unexpected places!

Friday, July 15/2011 at 5:49 pm

Same here! I hope braids never leave us.

Shailene
Friday, July 15/2011 at 4:28 pm

Oh my, what happened to Anne? Usually I loooove her looks, especially her hair. So dark and shiny! In that pictue it just looks like it needs a dye job (DESPERATELY). And I’m rather frightened by the makeup. Praise to Blake though.

I’m also a huge fan of Olivia’s bangs. As a bangs girl myself, I think she looks stunning.

Friday, July 15/2011 at 5:51 pm

Somehow my bangs have never looked as good as Olivia’s… probably because to keep up that length you need to get them trimmed every 2 weeks!

Shailene
Friday, July 15/2011 at 7:57 pm

I trim mine myself! I bought some pro scissors and do em whenever they begin to grow past my brow bone. Still not as good as Olivia’s though *sob.*

Elaine
Friday, July 15/2011 at 4:30 pm

i LOVE Blake’s braided bun. gorgeous. I will be going this tonight!

And ditto: I never like the end result of getting my hair styled. For example, I paid $90 to get my hair styled for my high school graduation 5 years ago, which consisted of the girl flat ironing my hair and gelling (YES GELLING) my hair into a slicked half-up style. I looked like a wet dog. When I got home (in tears) my dad gently suggested I wash my hair and start over, which I did.

Friday, July 15/2011 at 5:53 pm

Gelling? WTF? That’s crazy!

Sophia
Saturday, July 16/2011 at 3:27 pm

I hate to admit how much I love Olivia Wilde’s look… it’s a great style for that high neckline and looks so effortless. I’ll echo what a previous poster said about her bangs… when mine were straight across, they wouldn’t go like Olivia’s til maybe day 2 or 3 (yes, 3) after washing.

Long hair has so many options, me and my just-barely-shoulder-length bob are feeling a bit depressed. My little stump of a ponytail hardly looks as glamorous as Olivia’s!

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 12:46 pm

Maybe you need to look at pics of the other Olivia (Munn)! I love her bob – it’s very glam too!

Melissa
Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 2:39 am

Michelle thank you for the wedding-beauty posts!! I wish that I had these on hand last month when my cousin got married on some tiny island off the east coast and there wasn’t a single place to get my hair done. Rosario’s hair is probably my favorite… and the braid is not only pretty, but super useful at keeping the sideswept hair, well, on the side! It seems so logical now… like, why didn’t I think of that sooner? Would’ve been so much easier than gathering my hair over one shoulder every two minutes.

My wedding go-to hair has always been what I call my “medieval half pony”… sort of like doing princess-twists towards a half pony that’s set on my head much lower than usual. Pretty and easy, but it’s time for a change for sure! Thanks again. :-)

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 12:22 pm

You’re welcome! And sorry I didn’t get this up at the start of wedding season.
I’m a big fan of the half up half down as well… I’m going to start calling it medieval though, that sounds so much better!

Niquole
Sunday, January 22/2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh Anne! Clearly you are as unhappy about this look as everyone else! If it weren’t for the bright red lip they would merely vanish into the pinched smile she is forcing. Not to mention it looks as if she hasn’t seen the sun…ever. I understand it’s still winter but there are products out there that can make you look healthy not sickly. Go back to your other makeup looks much more flattering. As for the hair I love Blake Lively’s do the most, perfectly romantic for a wedding.