Coco loco 5 reasons why coconut oil is amazing for your hair, skin and body (did we mention Miranda Kerr swears by it?)

Coconut oil Miranda Kerr 5 reasons why coconut oil is amazing for your hair, skin and body (did we mention Miranda Kerr swears by it?)

Miranda Kerr is hot. She just had a baby and three months later is modelling in a bikini. I mean, c’mon. That’s not fair. Hot body, gorgeous hair, beautiful skin. A beauty trifecta you might say.

One of her beauty secrets? Coconut oil. I first discovered it through her KORA Organics blog in a post on her favourite supps. After reading it, I went immediately to the store to buy a jar. I personally love coconuts—the smell, the taste, the tropical vacation memories they conjure—so for me it was a no-brainer, and I’ve noticed pretty immediate results from using it.

Miranda’s obsessed with it. I’m obsessed with it. You should try it. (Or at least check out these awesome benefits.)

Coconut oil can help you lose weight

Yes, people have said a lot of bad things about coconut oil’s high saturated fat content—but not all saturated fats are created equal. Really, the ones you need to watch out for are the hydrogenated oils (hidden in a multitude of products like crackers, margarine and peanut butter). Don’t even get me started on what eating that stuff can do to your body. Coconut oil, on the other hand, isn’t the bad guy we’ve made him out to be. Check out this New York Times article—a lot of the studies that claimed it was unhealthy were done with partially hydrogenated coconut oil. Virgin oil, which hasn’t been chemically treated, is a whole different story. But more on that in a sec.

coconut 5 reasons why coconut oil is amazing for your hair, skin and body (did we mention Miranda Kerr swears by it?)

Because coconut is made up of medium-chain fatty acids (as opposed to something like steak or cheese which is made of large-chain fatty acids), the body is able to dissolve the fat from coconut oil easily into the blood. These molecules are then burned immediately by the liver for energy. Dr. Mercola, alternative-health guru, says that the oil helps boost your metabolism, makes you feel full longer, improves thyroid function, and is quickly burned for energy. I’ve definitely noticed some of these things, and while I’m not trying to lose weight, I haven’t gained any either.

According to her blog, the stunning Ms. Kerr eats four whole tablespoons teaspoons of coconut oil a day. (*Turns out, Miranda was misquoted originally. Thanks, ladies, for pointing this out!) She uses it on salads, in her cooking and in her green tea. And while I’m betting she has a personal trainer, I guarantee the coconut oil helps. Oh, and my guarantee may not mean anything, but Dr. Oz says the oil has super powers, and clearly he’s legit (he’s friends with Oprah, guys).

Coconut oil has anti-aging properties

As Michelle explained in this post, free radical damage causes aging (read: wrinkles). Coconut oil’s antioxidant effects can help protect against them—much like Vitamin E does—as well as heal and repair damaged skin. The medium-chain fatty acids are also easily absorbed, can strengthen connective tissue and help with exfoliation. Bonus: coconut oil also stimulates thyroid function and helps cholesterol to be converted into anti-aging steroids that lower the risk of cancer and heart disease.

Coconut oil makes your hair grow—and repairs damage

Dang if it doesn’t make your hair grow like nobody’s business! If you’re like me and go to new hairstylists (dumb!) who decide to chop off the front pieces of your hair into lady sideburns, this is helpful information. I’m also currently sporting two inches of roots—someone asked me the other day if I was going for the Ombré effect. Um, nope. Not intentionally.

hair mask 5 reasons why coconut oil is amazing for your hair, skin and body (did we mention Miranda Kerr swears by it?)

Coconut oil is also great as a deep conditioner; I leave it in overnight (skip the roots), wash it out in the morning, and BAM! Miranda hair (or at least I like to think so).

Coconut oil can help you get better skin

Since I started eating coconut oil every morning, my skin has become a lot more hydrated. I also slather the oil on my body after showering (you may have to walk around the house in the nude as it absorbs) and after being out in the sun. I personally don’t use it on my face, but lots do, and have seen major improvements in their skin. (I’ve noticed that even just taking it internally has lessened my breakouts and evened out my skin tone.) Coconut oil can also treat psoriasis, eczema, rosacea—even wrinkles.

Coconut oil is great eats

Coconut oil is amazing because you can also use it to cook and bake with, and because it’s saturated, it’s the safest oil to use at high temperatures. My favourite way to eat it is melted onto toast (instead of butter) and spooning a huge scoop into my oatbran in the mornings. Because I eat so much of it and I love the taste and smell of coconut, I use virgin coconut oil.

virgin coconut oil 5 reasons why coconut oil is amazing for your hair, skin and body (did we mention Miranda Kerr swears by it?)

It’s solid at room temp, or in the fridge where it should ideally be kept, but melts beautifully when you warm it up. If you want less coconut taste in something you’re cooking, skip the virgin oil and try regular coconut oil. Refined coconut oil tastes even less coconutty, and while this may sound good to some, this form also contains far fewer proteins and minerals. According to Dr. Mercola, heat, chemical solvents and bleaching agents are often used in the refining process, which is why he (and I) suggest being choosy!

You ideally want to look for a coconut oil that is certified organic, made with fresh coconuts (virgin oil), unrefined, non-hydrogenated and made without heat-processing. I use Omega Nutrition Virgin Coconut Oil and am really happy with it, but there are lots of other great brands out there! Check out Whole Foods or any health food store to explore your options.

As for cooking with it, I can personally vouch for this Coconut Oil Roasted Sweet Potatoes recipe. OMG, de-licious! I also have a killer recipe for Coconut Apple Crisp:

Coconut Apple Crisp

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Slice 4 Granny Smith apples into bite-sized pieces. (I leave the skin on cause I’m crazy like that and want the extra fibre, but feel free to remove it for a more traditional crisp texture.)
  3. Mix apple pieces in a bowl with 3 tbsp agave syrup (or ¼ cup brown sugar), 2 tsp vanilla, 3 tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg and a squirt of lemon juice.
  4. Rub a baking dish with coconut oil to coat it.
  5. Spread the apple mixture in the baking dish.
  6. In another bowl, combine ¼ cup softened coconut oil, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup raw oats. Mix lightly.
  7. Crumble the topping onto the apples, and place in the oven.

OPTIONAL: Add chopped walnuts to the topping for some Omega 3’s. For more coconut flavour, you can also add 1/3 cup dried coconut flakes to the apple mixture.

Bake for 45 mins or until topping is golden and fruit is bubbling. Serve warm with Luna & Larry’s Naked Coconut ice cream.

Elizabeth Oborne is a Vancouver-based writer and holistic nutritionist. Follow her on Twitter: @elizabethedits.

Tell us:

Do the beauty and health benefits of coconut oil blow your mind or what?
Ever tried it as a skin moisturizer or hair treatment?
What about in your diet—do you think you’ll start cooking with it or adding it to oatmeal or tea?

Get the products

Thomas
Monday, July 18/2011 at 12:47 pm

This is so interesting! I’d previously heard bad things about coconut oil for your skin, i.e. if you put it on when sunbathing it basically COOKS you, but this is really good. It’s nice that there is finally a cheap and altogether easy-to-come-by product out there that’s such a multi-tasker! Also, I was wondering if you could quickly re-iterate about the skin tone evening aspect, as this is something I would be REALLYREALLYREALLY interested in!!

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic of the moment Thomas xx

P.S. I like this new writer, it’s interesting to see two beauty editors vantage points! :)

Monday, July 18/2011 at 11:38 pm
Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 12:35 pm

Hey Thomas – uneven skin tone/pigmentation issues are one of the most difficult things to treat. I don’t know too much about coconut oil for that but here are some other suggestions I just made to a commenter on another thread:

You can try a hydroquinone cream (eg Ultraquin) either over the counter or prescription. Retinol and glycolic acid (e.g. NeoStrata HQ = glycolic + hydroquinone) can also help. Make sure to protect against sun with sunscreen SPF 30 or higher.

There are stronger things at the doctor’s office eg. Lumixyl, SkinCeuticals’ Pigment Regulator, prescription retinoids, prescription hydroquinone (concentrations higher than OTC which is 4% maximum), etc. If it’s really bad you could do a Fraxel laser treatment but that’s quite pricey and sometimes the problem returns.

F
Friday, October 26/2012 at 2:39 pm

Tom , organic apple cider vinegar is what you MUST use!!! ;)

Melissa
Thursday, July 21/2011 at 9:18 pm

Thomas try some Vitamin C as well… I’ve had amazing results with removing my dark spots with it… as in, dark spots that had been there for YEARS got erased. Unfortunately I can’t recommend any prods since the one I used has been discontinued (Fresh appleseed brightening essence), but maybe digging around the beautyeditor archives will help out.

I am a little afraid of hydroquinone though… It’s been banned in Europe from what I read. Idk, but if it works then it works, right? Good luck!

Karla
Monday, September 24/2012 at 10:31 am

You’re right, it’s used as sun tan oil.

grody jodee
Monday, July 18/2011 at 1:18 pm

I’ve been a fan of virgin coconut oil for quite a few years now. It’s also fantastic for removing all traces of eye makeup, and as a bonus, makes your eye area look and feel wonderful the morning after. I also use it for oil pulling, which is basically like swishing it through your teeth for 10-20 minutes. When I first tried the oil pulling (very skeptically!), the dentist told me, “I don’t know what you’ve been doing, but keep it up! I’ve never seen such clean gums.” Nutiva is also a great brand….very affordable on Amazon with subscribe and save. I absolutely love having one product that does SO many things.

Monday, July 18/2011 at 11:16 pm

I’ve never tried oil pulling but have heard it does amazing things for your health! Good for you for giving it a go! Coconut oil is super versatile.

Magda
Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 4:25 pm

I love, love, love the Nutiva one! has more of the coconutty taste than other, I find!

Jane
Monday, July 18/2011 at 1:25 pm

You had me until you quoted Dr Oz. Come on, we all know he a narcissistic hack who is paid by special interest groups and owns massive shares of big pharma. Take him out of your post and it would sound a lot more legit.

Monday, July 18/2011 at 11:19 pm

I actually hadn’t heard this about Dr. Oz but will look into it. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, I agree with some but not all of what Dr. Oz says. He’s very hit and miss – but I agree with him in regards to coconut oil :-)

Claire
Monday, July 18/2011 at 2:05 pm

I love using coconut oil for cooking, especially at high temperatures. I also throw some in my morning smoothie. I’m going to try it in my green tea this afternoon!

P.S. I think Dr. Oz is great. He’s a little conventional for me, but at least he’s open to alternative medicine.

Anne
Monday, July 18/2011 at 3:02 pm

I’m not huge Dr Oz fan, as every time he talks about skin care I catch him not knowing what he’s talking about. BUT, I do agree that coconut oil is amazing! Straight or in skin care formulations, it’s pretty awesome stuff. Thanks for the post! Everyone was being told to avoid saturated fats for so long, but it turns out they’re fine–it’s hydrogenated fats you need to stay far away from!

Alexa
Monday, July 18/2011 at 5:19 pm

For the hair section, you showed the picture of conditioner on the hair. So I was wondering if you needed to use the coconut oil vitamins to actually have your hair grow, or just put coconut oil conditioner on your hair.

Monday, July 18/2011 at 11:24 pm

Taking coconut oil internally (eating it, putting it in your tea, etc.) has helped my hair grow a lot. Putting the coconut oil on your hair as a conditioner will help to moisturize it and prevent breakage. Let us know how it works for you!

Alexandra
Monday, July 18/2011 at 6:40 pm

I can definately vouch for this!
I’ve been using coconut oil on my face/body/hair for 6 months (more or less) and my skin/hair is GORGEOUS. I haven’t had a single zit — not even around my “time of the month.” I think the reason for this is because coconut oil is also antibacterial, and thus kills the grody things that build up in your pores. It makes a fab overnight moisturizer, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 12:38 pm

Amazing! After my oil cleansing method disaster (http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/11/15/my-brief-traumatic-foray-into-the-oil-cleansing-method-or-how-overreaching-can-sometimes-backfire-on-your-skin/) I’ve been too afraid to put oil on my face… but perhaps I will give it a shot! I have heard that some people have broken out from coconut oil though…

amy
Wednesday, February 1/2012 at 10:52 pm

I add a couple drops of tea tree oil to the coconut oil I use on my face. It’s basically changed my skin in wsys I never thought possible. Adult acne is gone, and wrinkles seem to be less noticeable. I’m a huge fan of coconut oil.

Kelly
Tuesday, June 4/2013 at 11:59 pm

Hey – so I’m a little late on this post but if anyone is googling like me:

I am obsessed with coconut oil as well and as someone who has always had a bit more oily skin – I was scared at first to start putting it on my face. I had read about a brown sugar and coconut oil scrub to use after washing your face. This was the perfect combo for me because it just leaves a hint of coconut oil after being rinsed off. I also have found that my skin is becoming less and less oily which is apparently because my skin was trying to compensate for my daily washing routine which was actually drying out my skin. I also use it as an eye make up remover before I wash up. Oh and I also use the scrub on my lips and dab a little coconut oil on as a lip gloss after. Also, any little cut or scrap I get – just dab a bit of coconut oil on it and usually it is gone by morning! One warning I can give someone who is just starting to use coconut oil – a little goes a LONG way!!
I also do oil pulling and have had some INTERESTING results!! I don’t want to gross anyone out but it has definitely detoxified my mouth and throat – we’ll leave it at that! I also used to have unbelieveably sensitive gums but not anymore!
And I use coconut oil in all my cooking – no more butter or other oils! I love sneaking it in recipies and having my boyfriend (who is very picky and a firm believer that he doesn’t like coconut oil) love the taste!
And of course on my hair – I do a deep conditioning treatment once a week over night and cannot cannot cannot believe the results – only thing that has been able to tame my long hair without completely weighing it down.
Yup I’m a coconut nut!

Alyssa
Thursday, July 21/2011 at 1:43 pm

How much do you personally consume, how long before you started noticing a difference?

Lish
Monday, July 18/2011 at 9:11 pm

Great post. I’ve been using coconut oil on my hair, skin, and food for years now. You can order good Virgin oil online for much cheaper than the whole food stores. I use Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil. One thing I must warn you guys: KEEP THIS REFRIGERATED. Portion out ONLY small amounts to leave out because…if you live anywhere warm it will iquify and take on a slightly pungent smell after awhile. And you do NOT want to smell live stale coconut oil.

Jabeen
Monday, July 18/2011 at 10:41 pm

Awesome post!! Coconut oil for hair is big in South Asian culture. Where do you get Omega Nutrition Organic Virgin Coconut Oil?

Monday, July 18/2011 at 11:27 pm

I get mine at Whole Foods but I know other health stores carry it. You can buy it on amazon.com too, if you’re in the states.

Angela
Monday, July 18/2011 at 11:18 pm

I have to say, ever since I started on Carlson’s Cod Liver Oil, I’m all “how high?” when you’re all “jump!” with the oil stuff. That is to say, my acne prone jawline is clear for the first time EVER.
So my question for you is, do you use Coconut Oil as well as Cod Liver Oil in your life?
Thanks for the great post!
Angela

Angela
Monday, July 18/2011 at 11:23 pm

oh wait…I see now that Michelle didn’t write this post – my apologies!

Monday, July 18/2011 at 11:31 pm

Hey Angela,
It was Michelle’s fantastic post (http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/02/the-single-best-product-evah-for-your-skin-is-not-in-fact-an-actual-skincare-product/) that convinced me to order my cod liver oil. I can’t speak for her on the coconut oil front, but as you can tell from my post, I love it! Let me know what you think if you try it!

Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 12:40 pm

Hey Angela – yes I’m still a die-hard cod liver oil user :-)
I have been taking coconut oil for a while too, but not nearly as much as Elizabeth recommends (it was probably only 1 tbsp a day). So definitely going to increase my consumption!

Melissa
Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 2:32 am

Wow! I’m Filipino and my dad has been drinking virgin coconut oil every morning since God knows how long. I never paid that much attention to it, just put it down to one of dad’s idiosyncratic habits, but now I’m wondering if that’s why his skin looks nowhere near his age! He’s in his 70s and I’ve seen 50-something year old men with more sun damage and wrinkles. The rebel daughter in me refuses to believe it… but the vain daughter in me might steal some.

Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 12:45 pm

Wow – amazing! I think he’s definitely on to something! Actually cod liver oil might work in the same way… besides all the improvements it has made in the tone and texture of my skin, I’ve also heard testimonials from people that take it who say they no longer burn AT ALL in the sun. I think I’ll be using both oils from now on…

marta
Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 4:25 am

This post was really interesting… Now, you don’t happen to know where to buy it in Spain, right? :) I will have to investigate a bit.

Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 9:24 pm

Hey Marta – I did a quick search and found these two links for you to check out. Hope you can get your hands on some!

marta
Thursday, July 21/2011 at 5:44 am

Thanks so much Elizabeth, how nice of you to get me the links! :) And one is actually near my place, so I could not have it any easier!

Jenna
Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 5:33 am

I use a small Australian skin/hair care line (not Miranda’s) and they use pure coconut oil along with honey in most of their products. The combination is amazing, my hair and skin are so soft all the time! I’ve never thought of ingesting it though, might have to give it a go!

Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 9:25 pm

Wow! The line you use sounds fab! What’s it called?

Jenna
Friday, July 22/2011 at 4:06 am

Its called Beauty and the Bees – they have a fb page and you can order off their website to anywhere that receives post (I think the International Space Station might be out, but pretty much anywhere else!)

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 6:36 pm

Thanks, Jenna! I’ll check them out!

rose
Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 2:25 pm

Will taking coconut oil capsules be as effective? I am always on the go and think that they would be a better option for me.

Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 9:31 pm

The downside of capsules is that there’s very little coconut oil in them. The recommended dosage to see results is 3-4 tbsp (35-45 grams)/day and capsules usually provide about 1 gram of oil… So you’d have to take a lot of capsules to get the results you’re likely looking for. If you cook at home, try incorporating it in your meals!

Magda
Tuesday, July 19/2011 at 4:30 pm

Omg!!!! Love this post! There is a comapany called Artisana that makes a raw, organic coconut spread (oil+flesh)….HEAVENLY!!! I mix mine with a bit of cocoa…reminds me of Nutella!LOL

Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 9:31 pm

YUM! I’m definitely trying that combo! Thanks for the tip.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 12:03 pm

I forgot to mention I have a GREAT coconut oil fudge recipe. See here: http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/2010/09/tropical-traditions-coconut-oil-and.html

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 6:37 pm

OMG this sounds ridiculous. I’m def making it this weekend!

Alyssa
Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 3:12 am

How much coconut oil should i be consuming to notice effects?

Alyssa
Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 2:23 pm

There is something that feels so wrong about consuming 4 tabelspoons of essentially, fat when you are a constant dieter like myself and so many other women…but pretty much i am willing to do anything to look slightly more like miranda kerr. Haha!

Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 9:36 pm

Ideally you want to be taking about 3-4 tablespoons. And I know it sounds counterintuitive to eat oil when you want to lose weight – but it truly does help normalize thyroid function and increase metabolism. Healthy oils are SO good for you! :)

Lindsay
Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 11:37 am

where do you buy this stuff? I live in australia, is it something you can pick up from the grocery store, or health food store or something? and what kind of cost are we looking at? sounds amazing i want some NOW! ;D

Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 9:39 pm

It’s available at health food stores, and I’ve seen it priced between $10 and $20. Your fellow Aussie Miranda uses a brand call Nui. Check out nuicoconut.com.

Virginia
Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 6:27 pm

How much coconut oil would you suggest I should take if I’m taking CLO capsules twice a day? Also, can you recommend other brands that would work as well as Nutiva?

Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 9:41 pm

Hey Virginia – It depends on how much oil your capsules contain. You want to aim for 35-45 grams/day. Artisana and Spectrum are brands I’ve heard great things about.

Laura
Tuesday, August 30/2011 at 12:07 pm

I’m not sure how I feel about this article because the doctors quoted are maybe no up-to-date on the saturated fat research, but: apparently, Miranda Kerr only takes 3 to 4 TEASPOONS of coconut oil per day, not tablespoons.

Thursday, October 20/2011 at 8:13 pm

Interesting, thanks for the link! In the end, you’ve gotta do what’s right for you! I get great results with my 2-3 tablespoons a day, but everyone’s different :)

rob
Tuesday, September 20/2011 at 7:46 pm

DOctors are so ignorant on many thing when it comes to diet. Theyre trained to know medicine

jackie....
Friday, September 30/2011 at 7:26 am

when tumeric from the kitchen gives way to other kitchen stuff I am all for it!!!

Tina
Thursday, October 20/2011 at 8:09 pm

So I read this post a couple of months ago and immediately ran out to buy coconut oil. I’m almost done with the first jar and I’m so impressed. I don’t know if it’s the power of positive thinking or the coconut oil, but I swear my hair has been growing faster (easy to tell since I have bangs) and it’s helped my skin, too.

Great post!

Thursday, October 20/2011 at 8:14 pm

Yay! That’s awesome to hear… I’ve experienced the same things, and I truly believe it’s helping me maintain my weight, too. Glad you liked it!

mae
Sunday, October 30/2011 at 3:22 am

dear Elizabeth,
hiiii!! omggg i LOOVEDD your post!<3 thankyou sooo much! i just have one question i was hoping u cud help me with? im 20 years old, and my hair is falling out FAST. ive done all my tests and everything is normal however i dont eat oils as often as i should.. i was just wondering, will eating coconut oil help me grow hair? has it made your hair thicker/longer/healthier? also will it contribute to bad cholesterol or good cholesterol? i will be grateful for any help or advice.. eagerly awaiting your reply. thankk youuu! god bless! :)

Saturday, February 4/2012 at 1:33 pm

Hi Mae,
So sorry I didn’t see your comment before! I’d definitely recommend that you up your oil intake!! Cod liver oil, as Michelle wrote about here http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/02/the-single-best-product-evah-for-your-skin-is-not-in-fact-an-actual-skincare-product/ is amazing for hair, as is coconut oil. It’s definitely made my hair grow like mad :)
Let us know how you’re doing!

Ann Oliphant, CNC
Monday, October 8/2012 at 4:19 pm

I so hope I am not replying too late for you to even see this reply…if you are zinc deficient you will absolutely shed like a cat–try liquid zinc for a month, a tsp. or so a day and see what happens the following month….also, if you are not absorbing your nutrients (gluten intolerance and/or candida) would be the area I would explore next…best to you!

S.
Tuesday, March 26/2013 at 6:49 pm

I would also make sure you are using sulfate-free shampoo. I switched, and the biggest change I noticed is that my hair doesn’t fall out as much, even when I am combing it wet. One or two strands, at the most.

CocoNUT
Sunday, November 6/2011 at 5:34 pm

I love coconut oil. I use it on my face and all over my body. I have eczema and use it on that, too. I just started doing the oil pulling and use SemPure for it. It is liquid coconut oil lubricant. It is great for it’s intended purpose, but I use it for everything else, too. You can check it out at http://www.sempure.net.

Saturday, February 4/2012 at 1:38 pm

My boyfriend has had success using coconut oil for eczema, too! And I’m reallllly curious about oil pulling… Have been debating doing it. Do you recommend?

Ruth
Wednesday, January 18/2012 at 1:35 pm

Melissa says that her father drank it every morning,I want to know if he would take it in his coffee or on its own.

Saturday, February 4/2012 at 1:50 pm

Not sure, but I personally love it in my coffee or tea, or melted onto toast… Or in my oatmeal… Or to fry pancakes with… You might enjoy it more if you combine it with something, as opposed to swallowing it straight up! :)

Maggie
Wednesday, February 1/2012 at 8:45 pm

First of all…I love, love, love your blog! And I shared it with my BFF and she’s obsessed, too!

But i do want to correct a tiny error in this post…I followed the link to Miranda Kerr’s site, and she recently posted that she was misquoted; she eats 4 TEAspoons of coconut oil a day, not tablespoons.

I’m sure your source said tbsp, not tsp, but I wanted to pass this along. I’m excited to try coconut oil, whatever the amount!

Saturday, February 4/2012 at 1:45 pm

Thanks, Maggie! Glad you love the blog.
As for the teaspoon/ tablespoon issue, you’re totally right – Miranda was misquoted and I used the tbsp. info in my article. Either way, coconut oil is still super FAB for you… Have you tried using it? Four tsp./ day (I still use a couple tablespoons) is pretty manageable, and I’d love to hear about any benefits you experience :)

t
Saturday, February 11/2012 at 3:41 pm

I’m sooo late to this party but knowing that you also consume fish oils (cod liver, right?) AND also the coconut oil…..is there any adverse reactions to taking two such concentrated form of oils? Because of you I take the cod liver which has done wonders for my skin but am hesitant in adding yet another oil to my regime. I’d love your thoughts on this! Thanks.

Glenda
Sunday, February 26/2012 at 9:23 am

Hi Elizabeth,

I just stared taking three table spoons of Dr. Bronner’s virgin coconut oil on Saturday, February 25, 2012. I have been using the ultimate organic coconut oil in my hair or 30 days and I truly love it. My hair is so soft and it’s growing and looks so healthy. I have always had long hair but it fell out from stress. Today I will condition my hair with Dr. Bronner’s virgin coconut oil. I will come back in a month to let you know my outcome. I am trying to loss weight and clear up my dry skin.
Glenda

Sherry
Sunday, April 1/2012 at 12:33 pm

I did not know that extra virgin coconut oil was good for so many different things, but I was told that it was great for your memory. I am going to start taking a tablespoon a day and also using it on my face and hair. Thanks for the info.
I have a jar that I’ve had for a couple of years and was wondering if it expires or goes bad. Since I am going to start using it again I didn’t want to take it internally if there’s a chance that it could go bad. I quess I could still use it on my hair and skin if thats the case and get a new jar to take internally. Please let me know.
Thanks for the great info on all the different ways to use coconut oil.

lydia
Thursday, May 10/2012 at 12:15 am

I was wondering how to use it as a leave in conditioner. Do you just rub some in the palms of your hand and apply? Should you use it on wet or dry hair? Does it builtd up over time and dry out the hair at all in the long run?

mary lou
Tuesday, June 26/2012 at 10:22 am

Use extra virgin coconut oil (organic) internally….in a smoothy every morning…on toast with honey….no longer have plantar warts….completely gone. Lovely hair product…melt penny size chunk of oil in palms of hands…rub into hands, then thru dry/wet hair…adds volume and definition…wonderful on the skin after bath/shower….smells like Jamaica…..Have history of heart disease (triple bypass 2years ago)…Coconut oil MD recommended…Need I say more

Fashion blogger
Sunday, December 2/2012 at 5:30 pm

I am deeply looking forward to trying this, but I think you should not use Miranda Kerr as your example, She is a regular smoker and has multiple trainers who work out with her 24/7.

Marine
Sunday, December 30/2012 at 3:41 pm

I use a capillary oil from I’m Fabulous Cosmetics because I had dry and itchy scalp. My hair beacame shiner, the itching went away and my hair grew faster. They products are organic and vegan.

erica
Monday, December 31/2012 at 12:59 am

Im four months pregnant with twins and use natures way brand organic coconut oil on my belly and body every night before bed. Its the one product without chemicals that i hope will prevent stretch marks even though “they” say its more genetic than anything. Crossing my fingers my belly skin stays intact!

Hope
Tuesday, January 8/2013 at 8:28 pm

My family owns a coconut farm were they harvest the coconut oil, They use it all the time, First time used it I was hooked put a small amount in my hair after ever wash and leave it in till the next wash my hair is shiny and seems to have grown faster then expected,

I use a little on my skin during the winter love it, Use it on the dogs but just a little for some reasons the dogs love the stuff,

But don’t put to much because every dog in the dog park will try and get freaky with your dog they like the taste, My dog gets a table spoon in her food, I think I will try it next…………

Wunmi
Wednesday, January 9/2013 at 8:56 am

I actually used a cream which really made my skin became so rough,dull and dry,i told my grandma about this in which she ask me to try coconut oil……it’s soooo amazing….love it

Tasnim
Wednesday, April 17/2013 at 4:10 pm

Yes, I have used coconut oil for my hair and the results were AMAZING! Before I started my hair used to be dry, frizzy and the ends were dry even though I don’t use any heat products on my hair. One day I bought Vatika enriched coconut hair oil and when I started using it I could immediately tell a difference. What I do is everyday after I wet my hair I let it dry naturally and then I apply a small amount from the ends to the crown if my head but not the roots. Now my hair is long, smooth, and beautiful and I am not bluffing. Anybody that is thinking of giving coconut oil a try, definitely GO FOR IT. It is the best thing that ever happened to my hair!

Teena
Saturday, April 20/2013 at 10:45 am

it was suggested not putting coconut oil on the roots why is that? someone told me that is how it makes your hair grow, but, so then how will it make your hair grow just by leaving it in the hair and not on the roots or scalp

Smileyhappy
Wednesday, May 15/2013 at 8:42 am

I have a new for you girls! I am going through menopause and use organic virgin coconut oil on my vagina for dryness. I was prescribe things like vagifem and Replens and would have side effects that would make it worst. I even got a Uti and yeast infection so I looked on the Net and found the info. I have to tell you it is the best for vaginal dryness. I just put a some on my fingers, apply on and in my vaginal. It melts right away with my body temperature. Sounds funny but it really works. I no longer suffer from vaginal dryness. I used it 2 times a day now only once if that! For women who have it bad if you want you can put a vitamin E capsule in your vagina at night. It all dissolves and is a little oily in the morning but not bad.

Good luck girls!

liz
Sunday, May 26/2013 at 9:57 pm

miranda? really???? people in the caribbean have doing this for ages!!!!!!

Delaine Krager
Tuesday, May 28/2013 at 1:15 pm

It was suggested to me to try coconut oil twice in one day, and since I’m a believer in signs, I figured, why not! I’m a massage therapist and coconut oil is one of the main carrier oils in the massage oil I use. Upon investigation and asking people what they thought, I found a common element: improved skin care. But is it true there is a natural SPF in organic coconut oil? This one I couldn’t find substantiated evidence for, but am still looking. Any help is appreciated!

Anne
Wednesday, May 29/2013 at 8:51 am

My mom used to make coconut oil at home. She would blend and strain the coconut and let it settle. She would then skim off the cream and heat it until it turned into oil. This smells really good and it is what we sometimes used in our hair and on our skin. There was nothing added into it and it lasted very long. Can coconut oil made this way be eaten?