woman lying in grass

Although I can certainly appreciate the artistry that goes into “complicated” fragrances, I’ll be the first to admit it: my taste in scent is pretty juvenile. I’ll never forget the time when, minutes before I was to accompany my editor-in-chief to a beauty launch, I sprayed on some J. Lo Miami Glow. (Hey—what of it?) At first, said EIC seemed to almost like what I was wearing (well it IS good stuff if you let yourself forget that it’s J. Lo) and asked me what it was. As soon as I fessed up that it wasn’t some sophisticated concoction from the likes of Serge Lutens or Frederic Malle, I could see the wave of disappointment—even disgust—at my pedestrian choice.

Oh well! I like what I like—and did you know there’s scientific proof that wearing “young” fragrances actually makes people perceive you as more youthful as well? It’s easier than Botox.

Of course, all of this means that most of my fragrance-hunting has to happen in the summer months, because this is when perfumers come out with lighter, fresher, and most importantly, beachier versions of their standard scents. Here are four of my new faves:

Harajuku Lovers “G of the Sea”

Harajuku Lovers G of the Sea fragrance Summer fragrances are the best kind of fragrances—and here are 4 new ones to know and love!

Why I love it: Well, duh. It’s only the Most.Adorable.Packaging.Evah. I’ve got a mini-collection of this line starting, and was worried for a while that they were permanently morphing into these slightly less cute velvet-haired versions. Thankfully, no—we’re back to the original look, and who doesn’t want a mermaid fragrance, I ask you? The perfume itself is actually my favourite of the collection so far. It’s an aquatic that’s also quite heavy on the citrus. If I could own just one summer scent this year, it would be this one.

L’Occitane Sun Verbena

LOccitane Sun Verbena fragrance Summer fragrances are the best kind of fragrances—and here are 4 new ones to know and love!

Why I love it: If you’re familiar with the Verbena range, you know that it’s heavy on the lemon… and for me, maybe slightly too close to what I use to clean my kitchen. The Sun version is still lemony, but less intense and with a few other notes coming in, like musk, vetiver, cedar, orange blossom and jasmine. It’s really fresh and energizing.

Lancôme Ô d’Azur

Lancome O dAzur fragrance Summer fragrances are the best kind of fragrances—and here are 4 new ones to know and love!Why I love it: I first got to try this juice back when there was snow on the ground, and at the time I wasn’t really feeling it. Maybe because I got too excited when Lancôme’s PR said they were doing a beach fragrance, and was expecting something with a Coppertone-ish smell that would transport me away from the brutal weather. That’s not what you’ll get here: Ô d’Azur has notes of lemon (notice a theme yet for summer 2011?), Turkish rose, peony, musk and amber resin. And I have to say, it had me at the dry-down. It’s very feminine and very soft, not overpowering—which is the way a floral should be. I’d wear this to a summer wedding.

Clean Cotton T-Shirt

Clean Cotton T Shirt fragrance Summer fragrances are the best kind of fragrances—and here are 4 new ones to know and love!

Why I love it: My obsession with everything from Clean goes way back. I use their hair powder all the time, their antibacterial hand cream occupies permanent space in my purse and their their Outdoor Shower Fresh EDP was one of my summer scent picks last year. This latest scent, not surprisingly, is also amazing—it smells exactly as the name promises. You know when you steal your man’s T-shirt and it smells SO good, like nothing you’ve got in your closet? That’s the feeling here.

Now, over to you:

Are you a fan of summery fragrances or are you one of those sophisticated scent people?
Have you tried any of these yet?
Which scent(s) are you currently loving?

Christina
Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 5:34 pm

Always been sad since it was discontinued- the only perfume I’ve ever been in love with was Gwen Stefani’s Lamb… Pretty much replaced by those cute Harajuku Lovers. (Which are adorable- no Doubt! but the scent is not me.)

Thursday, July 21/2011 at 5:54 pm

It’s discontinued? How is that possible? I can’t remember what it smelled like but wow – that’s a weird business decision. I feel like I must have a bottle lying around that I could give you :-)

Makeup Morsels
Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 6:32 pm

I just started getting into fragrance this past year, so I’ve been trying a bit of everything. There are some ‘complicated’ perfumes that I love, but then…*whispers* I also really like the Wild Honeysuckle Body Spray from B&BW, which I’m so mad that they discontinued. Haven’t tried any of those scents yet, but the Harajuku Lovers range is so cute! For summer, I’m currently loving Burberry Summer. Have you smelled it? It reminds me of lemonade and fresh flowers.

Thursday, July 21/2011 at 5:56 pm

No shame in liking B&BW! They have some great stuff! Is this the Burberry one? http://beautyeditor.ca/galleries/the-top-10-summer-fragrances-of-2010/?pid=100 If so then yes I have tried it :-)

Makeup Morsels
Friday, July 22/2011 at 12:30 am

Yup, that would be the one! It’s so nice and refreshing.

Meghan
Wednesday, July 20/2011 at 6:48 pm

I am a 100% gourmand perfume lover, so it’s hard for to to find fragrances launched during the summer months that I’m into. Rich warm foody notes tend to be understandably absent and aquatics + bright fresh floral steal the show – which alas, don’t appeal to me much. It’s understandable….who wants to smell like a vanilla cupcake while you’re sweltering in the heat, but the nose likes what it likes!

I did find something recently that I thought I could rock in the heat. It smells like a large glass of fruit smoothie from the Caribbean. I did a write up on it a few months ago:
http://wp.me/pHXFO-2l I have been meaning to purchase it and this article has reminded me that I need to get a move on it! I think it is a good gourmand perfume lover Summer fragrance option.

Thursday, July 21/2011 at 5:58 pm

Hey that sounds amazing! I love anything with coconut so I’d probably enjoy this one too. Luckyscent and Beautyhabit have such great little finds!

Nomadic D
Thursday, July 21/2011 at 1:49 am

My favorite summer scent is Stella McCartney’s In Two Peony. Light and fresh and perfect. On my way to the airport to buy it duty free right now! (of course I’m not going to the airport for the express purpose of buying perfume, but since I’ll be there, I might as well hit the duty free section, right?)

Thursday, July 21/2011 at 5:59 pm

I don’t believe I’ve tried that one… but anything Stella is gorgeous of course. Where are you off to?

Nomadic D
Friday, July 22/2011 at 10:51 am

Home! Meaning wisconsin, and then off to nyc for a month. Spending a bit of the summer in the states, sooo looking forward to it! In the end they had no stella anything at duty free, so I’m going to have to see where I can scrounge it up!

Anne
Thursday, July 21/2011 at 1:20 pm

I have never understood why some people get all mean or weird about younger, fresher or less complex fragrances. I mean, some days, you don’t want a 5 course meal, you just want a chicken salad sandwich, know what I mean? As a perfume lover, perfume maker, scent junkie extraordinaire, I say everyone should lighten up a bit. I love summer fragrances! And I love simple fragrances! Single note perfumes are pretty much my favorite. It’s what I make, it’s what I wear. And anyone who doesn’t like it can go smell a goat, haha :D I think that for many of the people who get strung out about this, it’s actually about prestige, brand and image, and NOT about scent!

Thursday, July 21/2011 at 6:03 pm

I love this comment! I agree with every word, Anne – it’s so true about people getting caught up in the brand name/prestige instead of the scent itself. Which is crazy because few of us can identify a designer fragrance just by smelling it. (And if we can – well then it’s probably way too mainstream to impress anyone!)

Ali
Thursday, July 21/2011 at 1:30 pm

I love green fragrances in the summer months, current favourite is Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche..also really liked the new lighter version of Marc Jacobs Daisy. Versace Versense ..I love the top notes, but it dries down to a floral and didn’t have great lasting power.

Jenna
Saturday, July 23/2011 at 5:40 am

I’m a bit of a fragrance noob (at the moment I have the Body Shop’s Dreams Unlimited!). The Clean Cotton Tshirt one sounds amazing though! There’s this snuggly zip hoody my boyfriend has that I steal all the time, love the smell in that!