Look! Katy Perry’s transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it… or do you miss the brunette?

Katy Perry - Smurfs premiere 2011

Folks, it’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for. Did I say all? Okay, maybe just the Katy Perry fan base (which is an impressive 8,575,268 folks on Twitter). Remember a few weeks ago, when she first ditched her brunette for a fiery ginge? It was then that we first got an inkling of her beauty plans, because she shared (Tweeted) the following: So I didn’t get to the exact color I wanted from being black for so long! To get to goal I have to be a ginger for three weeks!and If I don’t wait three weeks, I’ll end up with no hair or a pixie ’90s cut with a barette in the front. It’s okay, I’ll get to my secret color(s) soon!

OBVIOUSLY, the plan was/is blonde (as you can see here at the premiere of The Smurfs this weekend). I mean, duh. Just like Madonna before her, Katy knows that hair colour controversy is one of the surest ways of generating buzz. UPDATE: I’m wrong!

The problem is that I’m worried for Katy. As you may recall, she once topped Maxim‘s Hot 100 list. And not that Maxim is any kind of beauty authority, but with her penchant for heavy makeup, I am now concerned that Katy literally means to transform into Smurfette … or worse, a slightly more upmarket Holly Madison. Let’s review.

So here’s the pre-fame Katy Perry:

Katy Perry blonde Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

Even putting that bad Meg Ryan haircut aside, I’m not sure I love the blonde on her. Sure, it suits her skin tone, but with her pale eyes, everything sort of looks washed out. (Maybe this is how the makeup addiction began.)

Fast forward to the “I Kissed A Girl” era, and with the new dark hair she suddenly she looks like a pop star.

Katy Perry I Kissed a Girl Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

Sure, the false lashes are there, and the heavy eyeliner, but there’s still a pretty girlishness to her look, right? And her eyes stand out like crazy. (I’d give anything to be a blue-eyed brunette, but alas, going darker only made me look like a Goth.)

I actually loved her look the most when she got this bobbed hair:

Katy Perry bobbed hair Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

So pretty! Longtime readers may remember that this was the look I got to see recreated on the set of the show Look-A-Like. Check out this vid for a how-to on the pin-up girl makeup.

However. As Katy’s fame grew, she began to transform, beauty-wise, into some kind of showgirl. There were those short Bettie Page bangs:

Katy Perry short bangs Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

And the blue hair:

Katy Perry blue hair Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

And then the hair began to take on a texture akin to that of the ladies who cohabitate with Hugh Hefner.

Katy Perry 2011 Grammy Awards Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

Still, there were moments of beauty happiness—of the Katy that could be. I know it’s not red carpet, but Teenage Dream Katy is one of my favourite Katys.

Alas, it all ended abruptly when she went ginge (as you’ll recall from this post).

Katy Perry red hair Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

I wasn’t a fan, but some of you did like this look—such as reader Melissa: “I guess her beauty look has been for the most part been retro-influenced, so that kind of pin-up red seems better suited to her than to Blake [Lively]’s?” I’m kind of with reader Vivian though: “I can’t decide what hair colour I prefer her having since I can’t even tell what her skintone truly is with all that make up covering it.” Heh.

But now we’ve got blonde—a “coppery” blonde was the way one news outlet described it. (And that sort of scares me because that’s also how my colourist describes MY hair. Although trust me, it looks a lot better without the plastered-on makeup.) And frankly, I also don’t think it suits her skin tone (well, what we can see of it). She’s looking very PINK.

Katy Perry Smurfs premiere 2011 Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

According to her Twitter, this isn’t the end look just yet. As of last night, she was back at the dye again. “I have been dying my hair since 10pm! Good GOD let me get to my destination tonight! #beenblack #beenblue #beenhotginge #beenblonde #now…” and “Still transitioning…………… practicing patience!

Uh-oh. If she’s continuing to blond-ify, then possibly she has contracted blonderexia—and speaking as a former sufferer, I want to warn her that she is in grave danger. Do you think this is what she has in mind?

smurfette Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?Or (gasp!) this?

Holly Madison Look! Katy Perrys transformation to blonde is (almost) complete. Do you love it... or do you miss the brunette?

Seriously, there are similarities here—the hair texture, the makeup, the outfits. I feel like with the brunette hair, Katy could get away with a lot more of the kitsch and camp. With lighter hair, it doesn’t work so well. And she becomes just another dime-a-dozen Hollywood blonde, on the fast track to beauty irrelevancy.

What do you think?

Do you like this latest hair colour change?
Which Katy beauty look was your favourite?
Are you as concerned as I am about Katy Perry morphing into Holly Madison?

Elaine
Monday, July 25/2011 at 1:07 pm

I love the brunette Katy – she pulled of the retro really well. And I love her costumey look too, which is probably why I adored the blue hair! But the blonde she’s at now is incredibly yellow. I won’t give my verdict until I see the final product, but I thought she stood out as a hot brunette!

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:11 am

Same here! Hot blondes are so dime a dozen…

Thomas
Monday, July 25/2011 at 1:16 pm

Oh dear.

Y’know, as soon as I saw the pictures of the new yellow hair, I was mentally expecting a post about it. And I’m so glad there IS one! It’s hideous. It’s like she used a home bleach kit (which apparently she may have done?) and then left it. No toner or anything. Absolutely horrible, it’s the hair that the term ‘brassiness’ was created for. I’m so glad she is going lighter, because this hair is HIDEOUS. Its all reminding me A LOT of this – http://www.haircolorsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/lady-gaga-2010-grammy-awards-yellow-hair.jpg

And yes, I love me a bit o’ GaGa, but she’s not exactly the essence of understated beauty. I don’t know why she ever went lighter when its sooooo obvious that darker, richer colours work best for her.
Also, ‘copper’? My ass.

I am almost expecting her to know go pink or something. It wouldn’t surprise me. Katy, I love you but you look like awful with this hair. Please change it, now.

Huge fan, fellow blonderexic of the moment Thomas xx

P.S. In 4 days I will no longer be blonde, so I have to think of a new name for my tagline to replace ‘blonderexic’. If anyone has any suggestions (including you Michelle!), they are VERY welcome – please comment!

Elaine
Monday, July 25/2011 at 6:03 pm

recovering blonderexic :P

Kat
Tuesday, July 26/2011 at 2:19 pm

Thomas, aka The Huge Fan Formally Known As Fellow Blonderexic? :P

And trust me, this is bad, but there’s no other way to go from dyed black hair to blonde. She’s been black for a loong time, and since hair dye tends to accumulate in the ends (most people re-dye their hair completely when doing their roots, for “refreshed color”, stupid as it may be), the bleaching only goes so far in that area. Hair becomes porous and doesn’t react much to lightening. If that’s not her final color, she probably didn’t have any color applied over the bleached hair, to preserve it as much as possible. I’d say she probably has another bleach on the way, 40 volume on the ends to equalize the color and then a final hair color/toner.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:16 am

YES! People don’t get it that the roots and the ends need to be handled differently… when you have existing colour then the new colour should NOT be applied for the same amount of time all over the head.

Are you a hairdresser Kat? I get so confused about 40 volume, 10 volume, 20 volume etc…

Lianne
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 4:49 am

shes either a hairdresser, or uses one often because i understood it perfectly and am no hairdresser but was blonde for years!

Lianne
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 4:46 am

Its now pink!!

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 7:44 pm
Jennifer
Monday, July 25/2011 at 1:49 pm

It’s a nay for me! If she wants to continue doing ridiculous colours with her makeup, she should have stayed blonde to be able to pull it off. Her milky complexion and blue eyes were so beautiful against the black.

Freya
Monday, July 25/2011 at 2:17 pm

I have crazy coloured hair, so naturally I love the blue! Also I’m an acne prone person, with mild active acne, I won’t wear anything more than tinted moisturiser/light powder combo, so why she wears this full coverage mask with no visible blemishes, makes me skin crawl ick. Too much makeup. Less is definitely more when rocking crazy hair.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:18 am

Agree, her complexion (while flawless) looks like a wax figure.
PS – re acne, have you seen this post? http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/02/the-single-best-product-evah-for-your-skin-is-not-in-fact-an-actual-skincare-product/

Mary
Monday, July 25/2011 at 2:33 pm

She does have great eyebrows though..

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:19 am

I was just noticing that!

Shailene
Monday, July 25/2011 at 5:41 pm

I was never a fan of ombré. I know it works on some (when it’s properly executed), but this just isn’t working. Why kick the trend when it’s down? Ombre is tricky! Leave it alone, Katy. She was a raven-haired beauty.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:20 am

Is it Ombre? I guess you’re right although I’m thinking it was unintentional here! I like Kat’s theory above about what they’re doing with the colour. But it never should have come to this… brunette was her signature!

Jenna
Monday, July 25/2011 at 5:49 pm

Ugh. That’s not even blonde, its just a mix of weird yellows, which should never be on hair! Mind you, I’m a bit biased, I’m not a Katy fan – of her music, or her beauty. Its seems like every week the hair gets odder and the make up is even more applied-with-a-shovel-like. THe eyebrows a pretty good, but the colour looks odd with the very brass blonde at the end of her hair.

Samantha
Monday, July 25/2011 at 6:02 pm

Yuck. I hate the blonde. She looked so much prettier with black hair.

jenny
Monday, July 25/2011 at 9:30 pm

the only redeeming quality left of katie perry is that she’s married to russel brand. congratulations, now she just looks like every other dim witted wannabe in hollywood.

Sophia
Tuesday, July 26/2011 at 12:01 am

Are we sure she’s really going blonde? I doubt that a tweet like “I’ll get to my secret color(s) soon!” would just lead to blonde. Sounds like she has something more planned.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:22 am

Yikes – this could be scary!

Trav
Tuesday, July 26/2011 at 1:24 am

The black was really harsh when she wasn’t wearing a face full of makeup. Her natural blonde no doubt suits her the best but she really pushes for that “sexy” look so the black hair is a better fit to her image. I thought she dyed it this yellow colour because it matches Smurfette’s.

marta
Tuesday, July 26/2011 at 5:16 am

The roots look awful but the lower colour is not so bad, is it? I mean, it is not perfect but it is a nice base to start working on…

I keep thinking this girl would be stunning if fresh-faced and with nice chocolate brown hair.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:23 am

Exactamundo! I would love to see her face scrubbed clean and with dark hair but maybe not that harsh black.

Kat
Tuesday, July 26/2011 at 1:50 pm

I really feel for Katy… I tried going blonde myself over the summer, went from a really dark brown like her and ended up with the EXACT color combo she’s sporting here. I can tell ya, she is NOT done fighting the reds/coppery tones… Don’t be surprised if she shows up next time with shorter locks, because that orange in her ends isn’t going ANYWHERE, unless she manages to get Harry Potter to finish her up.

Once she’s done though, I think it’ll look good! I never noticed before how similar my skin tone and eye color was to hers! If I’m any indication, a lighter blonde with no golden undertones will suit her very well, it’s just gonna be a real bitch getting there (if she can without frying her hair, I gave up).

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:26 am

So did you go back to brunette? When I had very dark hair I went lighter very gradually so I don’t remember it being a big deal at all… I went from dark brown to light brown and stayed with that shade for maybe 6-8 months before gradually starting to put highlights back in.

Sara
Tuesday, July 26/2011 at 2:39 pm

All of Katy’s hair colors are perfect for Halloween.

QuiteLight
Tuesday, July 26/2011 at 8:55 pm

Good lord, I’m sorry, I realize this is heresy on this site, but I REALLY don’t get the big deal with BLONDE! Why does every gorgeous brunette or redhead in Hollywood wreck themselves blonde!? Then they look like every OTHER blonde in Hollywood! The place is literally CRAWLING with them!

OK, thanks, needed that out of my system. For the record, I am not anti-blonde in general, since I am one (natural honey blonde). I just don’t get the incredible migration to one not-universally-flattering colour!

I am too lazy to play too much with colour, even at the peak of my goth period. I know the dark colours I prefer would be a tonne of maintenance on my light hair. You should see the rainbow grow-out from when I died it dark purple. I looked like a candy-coloured Star Trek bimbo for MONTHS. And the massive amount of makeup required to balance out the darker hair just killed it for me.

I whole-heartedly agree that Katy is unlikely to look funky & pinup-inspired with generic blonde hair. Blonde with tonnes of makeup just tends to look cheap. But she’s surprised me before!

Kat
Wednesday, July 27/2011 at 2:41 am

Blonde is the result of a recessive gene combination, meaning briefly that you have to receive blonde from both your parents in the genome-swapping process. Exactly the same for blue eyes, and since they are harder to “get” naturally.. y’know the drill, people want what’s hard to get, what’s inaccessible and feel pretty special. ;)

Found a pretty little article on Wiki about the genetics of hair color. It also explains why darker hair gets that brassy orangey tone when bleached!

QuiteLight
Wednesday, July 27/2011 at 12:28 pm

Good argument! But if the rarity factor is the big draw, why isn’t red the big cult colour?

My only guess is that it’s because so many brunettes were blond as kids, the youth thing is a factor. Could I get some thoughts from non-natural blonderexics? I’d really like to understand this, it’s always confused me!

That’s a pretty cool article, my inner Mad Scientist is so happy now!

Thomas
Wednesday, July 27/2011 at 3:20 pm

Hey QuiteLight, funnily enough here in the UK, red really IS the cult colour. There was a stage at the end of last year when literally every girl, women and man dyed there hair red. For whatever reason it stayed, and now red is probably the UK’s most popular selling hair colour!

QuiteLight
Thursday, July 28/2011 at 9:30 am

If I ever dye my hair again, it would be red! Rich auburns run down my dad’s side, I just didn’t get it. “Coppery in certain lights” just doesn’t cut it.

Lisa
Wednesday, July 27/2011 at 5:40 pm

I wouldn’t consider myself a blonderexic, as I am a brunette, but I’ve always been drawn to go lighter with my haircolour. I was quite blonde when I was little, and as I grew older my hair darkened. Before I started colouring my hair, I always loved summer when my hair would get naturally lightened by the sun. It was my favourite. Now that I’m older and my hair is pretty dark brown, I’ve experimented with dying it richer brown at times, and though it looks good, I always feel my best when my hair has subtle caramel highlights in it. I really love a bit of lightness in my hair. And I definitely attribute this to me having lighter hair when I was younger, and my love of the natural sun-highlights I used to get (before I started paying lots of money to “recreate” them!).

My sister on the other hand, has a fair complexion with dark brown/black hair. She has never experimented with lightening her hair and has no interest in it- I think because she was a deep brunette her whole life. So I think you’re right on the money with: if you were a blonde when you were little you tend to want that when you’re older again!

Kat
Thursday, July 28/2011 at 1:06 am

Here’s another interesting wiki article about blondes and you’ll notice the general theme is.. blonde is pretty, ohhh it shines it looks like gold.. basically. :P

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:38 am

I didn’t know the ancient Romans were bleaching their hair blonde! Crazy.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:35 am

With us non-natural blonderexics yes – I think it does have to do with the colour we were as kids. (I was blonde until maybe age 12 or so.) Also most hair naturally goes lighter in the sun so maybe it’s like tanning – you think you look better in the summer so want it year-round. Plus as we age hair tends to go ash, which is more aging – so I totally understand why people want to get rid of that. Charles Baker Strahan (Leighton Meester’s hairdresser) had some thoughts on that here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/03/23/this-is-why-your-highlights-dont-look-like-leighton-meesters-plus-my-favourite-celebrity-hairstylist-on-how-to-pick-the-right-hair-colour/

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:30 am

Haha – not heresy, I would actually love to be able to pull off a darker hair colour… I just joke about the blonderexia because it’s very real. (Once you start you never think you’re blonde enough.)

But yes – there are so many highlighted blondes walking around that it looks really samey and boring. I do think blonde (while not universally flattering) can in some people soften up their features, making them look hotter than they would be otherwise. (See: all Hugh Hefner girlfriends.)

But Katy pulled off the brown so well, I can’t help but think this is a bad career move…

Sarah B.
Wednesday, July 27/2011 at 2:31 pm

NOOOOO, I hate the idea of KP going blonde…
She would look stunning with a bright red or red orange like Rihanna’s but blonde is so common….
She basically is a pin up icon…and she will lose that by going blonde.
Hated it…honestly.

Lilllisal
Wednesday, July 27/2011 at 5:13 pm

Honestly, while I love the right shade of blonde on the right complexion, I have to say she looks sssooo much better dark. Blonde makes her look ordinary and plain without makeup, garish with. With darker hair she can be a camelion and it works.

Makeup Morsels
Wednesday, July 27/2011 at 6:51 pm

Even though she hasn’t gone all the way blonde yet, I think the dark hair suits her best. Actually, is it just me, or does the blue hair look ok too?

Meeka
Thursday, July 28/2011 at 7:57 am

I don’t actually hate the blonde on her per se but I don’t think it makes her stand out like the black did. I’m a natural blonde but I’m not a fan of blonde, I honestly think it’s generic and boring. Give me a rich brown or red any day! Of course my hair disagrees with my opinion because it’s meant monthly dyes for years now. I did go black for about two years and I ended up chopping it off to get the ends lighter, it’s so difficult to get out. I’m curious anyways to see what she ends up with, if she stays blonde or tries some funky color.
PS. This may banish any credibility I have here but I’ve always liked Holly Maddison… there’s something so cute about her.

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:40 am

Haha! I always liked Bridget the best.