Video: Brushed-out curls are The Next Big Hair Trend—and here’s the easiest way to make ‘em happen

brushed out curls

How much do we love brushed-out curls? Like I’ve been saying for at least a year now, they are the future—even though countless celebs still insist on doing those piecey flat-iron waves that have been gracing red carpets since oh, 2002. (You know the ones: they’re not terrible, but Lauren Conrad and Miley Cyrus, for example, really rely on them way too much. And they tend to go hand in hand with too-long hair extensions. Just sayin’.)

What’s different about brushed-out waves, obvi, is the brushing part—it creates a look where the hair is AS ONE, not all separated into individual curls. It’s what the prophetic Kevin Murphy was talking about when he spoke of “solid-looking hair” in this video from September ’10.

Anyway! The other thing that makes brushed-out waves superior to every other kind of wave is that you don’t need to involve heat tools at all—making this one of the easiest styles to DIY, like EVAR. Just have a watch of this little vid:

You can grab a pack of the rollers at Walmart:

Goody Summer Waves foam rollers Video: Brushed out curls are The Next Big Hair Trend—and heres the easiest way to make em happen

And as for the brush, well, even though Brennen uses a perfectly serviceable Goody one in the video, I am partial to the Rolls Royce of brushes, the Mason Pearson:

Mason Pearson brush Video: Brushed out curls are The Next Big Hair Trend—and heres the easiest way to make em happen

Yes, the M/P is pricey—they’re like $80-100 plus—but it will last you a lifetime.

Are you a fan of these waves?
Do you struggle with creating curls using a flat iron, curling iron or hot rollers? (Hey—join the club.)
Have you tried (or do you want to try) these rollers? So easy peasy.

Thomas
Thursday, July 28/2011 at 12:43 pm

I love this look SOOOOO much. Its just so much more airy and low-maintance that the flat iron separated curls, not that I don’t like that look. I DO like it a lot, but often it tends to look dull and flat after a few hours.

Huge fan, NEWLY REDHEAD Thomas xx

P.S. Michelle, you should actually see my hair. It is hilarious. I put a red toner sachet in last night so that I could dye it tonight or tomorrow and stop it going green, and its like, ridiculously bright red/pink. I look like a grapefruit.

marta
Friday, July 29/2011 at 5:38 am

Love your comments, always!

Friday, July 29/2011 at 9:38 am

Glad you like it too! I think the texture is so pretty.
And OMG re: grapefruit hair – hilare! Can you PLEASE start a blog to chronicle your hair colour changes – I would read it obsessively!

Sophia
Thursday, July 28/2011 at 2:57 pm

Would this look ridiculous on my shoulder length hair? I love the look but I fear it’d give me trianglehead. My hair is one length and very straight but thick.

Friday, July 29/2011 at 9:45 am

Hmmm good question! I think if your hair isn’t triangular-looking when you don’t curl it then this shouldn’t be too bad… Obviously you’ll get more fullness at the bottom since this look is about leaving the top 1/3-1/2 straight, but because you’re sectioning vertically there won’t be a ton of bulk. (i.e. the waves will all lie together instead of in layers)
Also brushing should help – if you look at the model in the video, her hair is actually not that wavy once it’s brushed out – it’s just got that little bit of texture.

I think on mid-length hair it might end up looking something like Diane Kruger’s here (which I love): http://beautyeditor.ca/2009/11/23/how-to-get-diane-krugers-mid-length-waves/

Jenncharina
Friday, July 29/2011 at 12:59 pm

Hope to god those rollers are at wal-mart when I go later! Also hope that this works on my super-resistant-to-curl Asian hair.

Quickie: He doesn’t a finishing product?

Jenncharina
Friday, July 29/2011 at 12:59 pm

I meant… He doesn’t add a finishing product?

Friday, July 29/2011 at 5:45 pm

Nope – I think because it’s all about that slightly fuzzy texture that you get from the brushing out. But you certainly could do a light finishing spray or something, to help hold the curl. I like Elnett.

Roxy
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 9:56 pm

Jenncharina,

Did it work for your hair? I have the same hair as you. But I think girls like us would need to not only wet the sponge, but actually put the damp rollers on while our hair was damp and then blow dry in order to get it to curl.

Let me know! Thanks!

Roxy

Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews)
Friday, July 29/2011 at 3:44 pm

umm…as a naturally curly haired girl I am NOT loving this at all.

Friday, July 29/2011 at 5:45 pm

Yeah, I think this is one for us curl-deprived types. :-)

Nomadic D
Monday, August 1/2011 at 9:31 am

Really you endorse the mason pearson? I’ve been so curious, and was actually just planning a post on them, but thinking, how could they possibly be worth it? I’m a girl who doesn’t even own a brush (yes, that’s right, no brush at all), so the concept kind of boggles my mind, but then I think, there must be something to all that hype around the m/p, right?

Monday, August 1/2011 at 10:53 am

I own a couple of them and they are still in perfect condition – one I’ve used daily for probably almost 10 years. When you compare them to, say, a spindly plastic Goody brush, there is just no contest. I hear the Denman is a good, slightly cheaper substitute. And I have a couple from Fekkai that are almost the same, think they are cheaper as well.

Kaeli
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 3:19 pm

My hair is naturally wavy with a tiny bit of curls, but I really want the brushed-out curls. I don’t spend time on my hair, I’m very natural, so I don’t want to go and buy those rolls at walmart out of lack of motivation. Therefore, will this work if I just wash my hair, let it dry, then brush it with a spiky type brush?

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:10 pm

It might but really depends on your curls – this look is about having the top part pretty flat. The only way to know is to try and see if you like how it looks!

Kaeli
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 3:22 pm

Which parting of the hair looks better with this style? I’ve only seen it on middle parting, which is great, but my problem with it is that I want to you know, work and stuff, so I would put my hair behind my ears, therefore probably end up looking bad. So is the side parting nice too with the look? Any thoughts?

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:12 pm

I think it looks great parted in the middle or on the side! At Marc Jacobs the models did a side part, see here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/16/new-york-ss-11-forget-mad-men%E2%80%94marc-jacobs-makes-me-wanna-channel-the-seksi-70s/

Ana P
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:40 pm

I’m gonna try this…but I personally think his style looks like a fizzy mess. If you have fine hair like mine, finger brush this out.

Kaeli
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for your response! Those pictures aren’t really what I’m going for, I prefer the picture that goes with this post, so I think I’ll just stick to middle parting if I try this look.

Rose
Sunday, October 9/2011 at 7:52 pm

Looks beautiful! I do want to try those rollers… though I suspect that there’s no way in holy heck my hair would come looking that nice. :)

Anya
Sunday, November 20/2011 at 5:11 pm

Brennen is really cute, right?

I’ve been coveting that Mason Pearson brush for the longest time. Maybe I should finally invest now that it’s Beauty Editor approved!

Bett
Friday, January 13/2012 at 1:11 pm

Oh please don’t send people to Wal-mart. It is a terrible company with lists of human rights abuses longer than all our arms. Please. If you must buy from a big retailler, try Amazon who at least pays its employees.