Video: My top 5 beauty editor’s picks of the week! Great gloss-balm, 3-in-1 no-rinse cleanser and the best Whitestrips invention yet

beauty editor's picks

Okay, so even though I love all my editor’s picks like they’re my children (really), I have to say that this week’s batch is pretty special. Mainly because they took me by surprise. July is usually a dead zone in terms of new product launches—most brands wait until September to introduce their new stuff—and so I was kind of scrounging around for things to test, not thinking that I’d find much to talk about.

WELL. I was wrong. Makeup-wise, I discovered a fabulous new gloss-balm that you can buy at the drugstore (it’s giving my beloved Givenchy a run for its money) and a very cool (and non-cakey) 3-in-one powder/primer/colour-corrector. Speaking of 3-in-1—I also found a no-rinse cleanser that is also a toner AND a waterproof makeup remover. It certainly helped get off the chocolately bronzing mist that helped me correct my Eagle situation this week. And because I like to save the best for last, I’ve finally got news on that brand new Whitestrips product that I mentioned was coming, and it is indeed amazing. Have a watch:

Here are a couple of the prodz:

Bourjois Paris Delice de Soleil Bronzing Powder for Face Body Video: My top 5 beauty editors picks of the week! Great gloss balm, 3 in 1 no rinse cleanser and the best Whitestrips invention yetand

Physicians Formula Talc Free Mineral Correcting Powder Video: My top 5 beauty editors picks of the week! Great gloss balm, 3 in 1 no rinse cleanser and the best Whitestrips invention yetWhat do you think of this week’s picks?
Doesn’t spraying bronzer that smells like chocolate all over your face sound kind of amazing? (Or is it just me?)
Think you’ll upgrade to this new version of Whitestrips?

Thomas
Friday, July 29/2011 at 4:17 pm

Ugh. I really wish Crest products were available in the UK, the closest thing we have is Pearl Drops and that’s like a whitening toothpaste that you use after your regular cleansing toothpaste (sorry if you already know this haha) and it takes WEEKS before you can see any visible changes! I was also really interested in that cleanser… Until you mentioned the price!! I think I’ll stick to my Neutrogena and Garnier!

If you can recommend any good budget teeth whitening products available in the UK, that would be much appreciated.

Your faithful fan, Thomas xx

P.S. Oh yes. That’s right. I’m no longer blonde – nor am I a walking grapefruit. I am not BRUNETTE!!!! And it feels pretty damn good to be honest. Also, your last comment to me got me thinking, the one about creating a blog to chronicle my hair colour changes? I know you were joking but it gave me the push I finally needed to take to tumblr and actually make one! Of course, its not just about my hair colour, because that would be an epic yawn, but its about all the hair products I use, reviews, recommendations etc. It would mean the absolute WORLD to me if you would follow it on tumblr! Here’s the link – http://changingcoloursofahairdyeaddict.tumblr.com/
Also, this way you can see my new hair! Plus if any others commenters wanted to have a look, please do!!

Friday, July 29/2011 at 5:36 pm

What? Crest isn’t in the UK? That’s crazy! Talk about a missed market opportunity. Whitening toothpastes are not anywhere near as effective, as the peroxide needs to be held to the teeth in order to work.

Does any other brand sell a Whitestrips-like product there? As long as it’s something that sticks to your teeth you should get results. I’m still a fan of the professional trays as they give more dramatic whitening during the same time frame – but I’m telling you, the inventors of Whitestrips had teeth that were BLINDING. Basically they’re testing stuff all the time so that’s how they get to that colour… I think if you use the products more frequently (i.e. more than the box tells you to) you can get a colour that’s the same as a professional treatment.

And now I am THRILLED that you started a Tumblr. Heading over there right now – so excited! I don’t follow anyone but I will follow you :-)

Jenna
Friday, July 29/2011 at 4:49 pm

So I haven’t even watched the vid yet, but your skin looks AMAZING!

Friday, July 29/2011 at 5:38 pm

Oh wow, thank you! Although I think it’s partially the dim lighting. :-)
I just started using a prescription vitamin A product called Retisol – it’s like a cream format of Retin-A so not nearly as drying. I’m finding that it has improved the texture… I don’t really exfoliate too much now and a facialist told me I had like nothing to extract (!). Highly recommend. I should probably do a post on that… although I still have to give cod liver oil most of the credit.

Nikki
Saturday, July 30/2011 at 4:24 pm

Yes! I would love to read a post on Retisol.

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 8:15 pm

Ok, noted!

HB
Friday, July 29/2011 at 7:13 pm

Hi Michelle!
Speaking of white teeth…I remember your post about the dental work you had done and I was wondering what long-term solution you could recommend for whitening teeth?

I find whitening strips just don’t provide lasting results…they look great for a few weeks and then my coffee drinking habit takes over and ruins it! What are your thoughts on in-office laser whitening treatments vs. take home trays? Your teeth still look super white! What exact product did the dentist give you?

Thanks!!!

Saturday, July 30/2011 at 11:04 am

My dentist says you need to do maintenance whitening once a month no matter what – even if you’re using a professional treatment. So your expectations of what whitening strips can do may not be realistic. (Although they do say on the package that you only need to do them 3-4 times a year… so I would probably ignore that advice and do more often.)

Don’t get Zoom whitening – it works by dehydrating the teeth but the results don’t last. Professional trays I think are still the best option – that’s what I had made before my dental work and I find they give me a more dramatic result in the 2-3 hours I have to wear compared to the same time investment with these Whitestrips. Plus they’re made to fit my entire set of teeth instead of just the front part you get with the strips. I don’t think there is an exact product name but it costs about $500 for the trays and $80 per tube of whitening gel (each gives you maybe 2-3 sessions).

That said – I still think the 2 hour Whitestrips are fantastic – you just, as I said, probably need to repeat treatments more often. I did a test drive last month and my dentist said my teeth looked great… I told him after that what I had used so the results are pretty close! And it is indeed possible to get super-white teeth from them because like I said in the video, I met the founders (who are testing this stuff all the time) and I have never seen such blindingly white teeth in my life!

HB
Friday, July 29/2011 at 7:16 pm

Ps. Did you hear that Mila Kunis gets $7,000 Diamond and Ruby Peel facials? Well, her skin does look good…but I mean really!

Thomas
Saturday, July 30/2011 at 5:11 am

OMG?! Is this serious? That is ridiculous!!

Saturday, July 30/2011 at 11:06 am

Didn’t she do something like that before the Oscars too? Insanity.

Marina(Makeup4All)
Sunday, July 31/2011 at 4:45 pm

You look really pretty in this video x PS. Really like these top 5 videos :)

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 8:16 pm

You’re so sweet! Just replied to your email – answer is YES! Thanks so much for thinking of me – will get back to you soon. xo

Ri
Sunday, July 31/2011 at 6:24 pm

Hi, So I just read this article on this new Swedish gum called VigoBeauty Gum, that is suppose to used as a beauty treatment or supplement. It promises to promote great hair and skin, I was wondering what you think about this? and Would you try it? Here is the article and Vigo’s website. :)

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 8:25 pm

Getting an error on that link, maybe because we have a Canadian Huffpo now… I think it’s trying to redirect and messing up the link. Anyway I Googled it… there was a Daily Mail article as well: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2009959/Chew-beautiful-The-wonder-gum-claims-improve-looks.html
Would be interested to see how the ingredients compare to just a regular multivitamin (which I think would be absorbed better anyway). I’m a big believer in diet as the secret to great skin/hair, so while I’d totally try this I think real food sources are always the answer…

Makeup Morsels
Sunday, July 31/2011 at 11:59 pm

I love gloss balms! Actually I love all lip products, but gloss balms in particular are so perfect for summer. The bronzer sounds interesting, I definitely was not expecting it to be such a low-maintenance product when I first saw the spray packaging. I’m so sad Bourjois pulled out of the US, I used to love their Baume de Nuit and their nail polishes.

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 8:27 pm

I’m a Bourjois fan as well! Their stuff has great pigment and they’re a little more fun and high quality than that other well-known Parisian drugstore brand… :-)
I was not expecting to like the bronzer either – usually I hate stuff like that!