Today in controversial celebrity beauty trends: Katy Perry’s pink hair, Demi Lovato’s dagger nails and Jessica Alba’s beehive hairdo. Wowza!

Katy Perry pink hair

So thanks to hyper-hair-colour-aware commenter Thomas, I was alerted yesterday to some breaking news (which I’m sure you’re all aware of by now… unless you actually have a life that doesn’t revolve around the superficial, in which case, I commend you). What I’m talking about is Katy Perry’s new hair colour—it’s pink! (Thomas predicted this, in fact, which means he is a lot smarter than me. Or just psychic.) Anyway, I was wrong. I totally thought she was going blonde. So I suppose I understand now why she was making such a big deal about it on Twitter.

Meanwhile, it looks like that long, pointy fingernail trend that we saw a long time ago on the runways of Milan has truly, finally reached the masses, seeing as teen queen Demi Lovato (I know… Demi who?) was sporting it the other day. In a bright, yellowy gold. (At least it wasn’t yellow yellow— y’all know how I feel about that colour.)

And then there was eight-months pregnant Jessica Alba channeling Marge Simpson. I’m telling you, there’s some polarizing stuff going on in beauty-land. Let’s take a closer look.

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT KATY PERRY’S PINK HAIR?

Katy Perry pink hair Today in controversial celebrity beauty trends: Katy Perrys pink hair, Demi Lovatos dagger nails and Jessica Albas beehive hairdo. Wowza!

You know, I really hope these pics weren’t staged pap shots—because if I were to dye my hair pink, and create some epic lead-up to the final reveal, I certainly wouldn’t want the first images of it to be like this. What a letdown, non? I mean, even normal-coloured hair doesn’t usually look super-special when pulled back into a simple bun… and especially not in the context of a gas station as your backdrop.

But when you dye your hair in a colour like pink—or even make a drastic change like going platinum or dark brunette, both of which I’ve experienced—it requires WORK. There’s no way around it. You need to style it more, you need to wear more makeup, you need to dress for The Hair. Otherwise it just looks like you had an accident with the Manic Panic.

And aside from that, well, I’m not digging this colour job. Who knows—perhaps she’s still not “there” yet in terms of the final look, but I’m seeing some weirdness at the roots (and of course, I’m anti-pink hair in the first place, obvs). Maybe some of our resident hair colour experts can weigh in on what’s going on here.

Seriously, why couldn’t she throw on a wig like this blue one and call it a day? I still mourn the loss of her hotness.

SO MANY BEAUTY CRIMES ARE GOING ON WITH DEMI LOVATO HERE, BUT LET’S START WITH THE NAILS

Demi Lovato tweet Today in controversial celebrity beauty trends: Katy Perrys pink hair, Demi Lovatos dagger nails and Jessica Albas beehive hairdo. Wowza!

She Tweeted this photo last night (no, I do not follow Demi Lovato on Twitter) with the message: “Obsessed with my new gold glitter dagger nails…”

And I have to say, I’m liking this word—dagger. If only the execution wasn’t so off-putting. You see, I’m not totally opposed to this trend on other people. Like, say, this DSquared² model:

Dsquared Fall 2010 Today in controversial celebrity beauty trends: Katy Perrys pink hair, Demi Lovatos dagger nails and Jessica Albas beehive hairdo. Wowza!

Everything kind of goes together in a Robert Palmer Girl sort of way, which I think is the correct look to go for when wearing this trend. Now let me show you Demi’s execution:

Demi Lovato Today in controversial celebrity beauty trends: Katy Perrys pink hair, Demi Lovatos dagger nails and Jessica Albas beehive hairdo. Wowza!

Okay, I don’t usually comment on style stuff, but I predict you’ll see this on worst-dressed lists in all the gossip mags next week. Anyway, I think my point is clear, which is that your beauty has to work with your fashion. And if you dare to wear gold dagger nails, you definitely don’t want to be sporting gold glitter on your cheek (along with extreme brows, eyeliner and 267 pieces of jewellery).

FINALLY! JESSICA ALBA’S BEEHIVE IS A TREND I CAN GET ON BOARD WITH

Jessica Alba Spy Kids 2011 Today in controversial celebrity beauty trends: Katy Perrys pink hair, Demi Lovatos dagger nails and Jessica Albas beehive hairdo. Wowza!

And not just because she followed me on Twitter.

Sure, this beehive is very, very high—it’s reaching Marge Simpson proportions—but it’s like a modern beehive, y’know? Which is why I approve, even if I wouldn’t attempt this look myself. Instead of being all stiff and overly retro, it’s effortless and soft and touchable. And there is a nod to the ’60s with the eyeliner, but that’s it. (Taylor Swift, are you paying attention?) Otherwise, her skin is fresh, her makeup is dewy and understated, and the whole thing is ticking off all of my boxes today.

But then again, Jessica Alba could probably walk the red carpet with wet hair and no makeup and still look better than any of us on our best days. So there’s that.

What do YOU think?

Are you willing to give Katy Perry’s pink hair a chance or are you already disappointed?
Would you do the gold dagger nail trend?
Does Jessica Alba’s beehive look cool and retro—or is it tragic and prom-like?

Thomas
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 1:08 pm

OHMYLIFE. First of all THANK YOU for mentioning me, my life is complete. Second, I am totally stealing the ‘hyper-hair-colour-aware’ thing for my tagline. And thirdly, I thought the EXACT same thing you said about Katy Perry – what was going on with the roots, and why couldn’t she just wear another wig?? But I’m actually not hating the colour completely, at least not in the first pic. I think it suits her to be honest, but I wouldn’t have ever chosen it for her and also I would sort out those roots ASAP. In terms of Demi Lovato, she’s pretty big here. So why on earth would she do this just months after coming out of rehab for self-harming? Got me! And lastly, I’m a bit on the fence about Jessica Alba’s hair here… It looks stylish and loose, yes, but I just can’t help thinking its quite odd and, now that you mention, rather too prom-like for me to dig it.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 6:50 pm

You make my life with every comment! By the way – how do I leave a comment on your blog? (I don’t understand Tumblr…)

Hilarious re: Demi Lovato self-harming with the nails! (In a twisted dark sense of humour sort of way of course – I truly hope she’s ok.)

Thomas
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 6:58 pm

I know, I totally didn’t mean any offence by the Demi comment BTW. I was really sad when I found out, I just thought it was a bit of an ironic thing to do… In regards to the tumblr thing, you have to go comment from the dashboard because for some reason you can’t comment on the actual blog – so when my posts come up on your dashboard you click on the ‘reply’ button next to the reblog button. Hope this helps and if it does I REALLY look forward to any comments!!!

Thomas
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 7:17 pm

Right, ignore that last comment completely re: tumblr thing. I installed this thing so basically, now you just click on the post on my actual blog and at the bottom is a comment box much like the one at the bottom of the page on this blog. Sorry to mess you about!

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 7:36 pm

Ok I commented but they don’t show up on the home page, you have to click on the individual posts to see there is a comment – is that just a Tumblr thing?

Anne
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 1:31 pm

Eeeeew on the pink hair, especially with those roots–bad roots are bad roots, no matter who you are or what color your hair is! BUT I’m loving the Jessica Alba hair + eyeliner combo. Like a lot.

As for that mess in between Katy Perry and Jessica Alba in your post, I’m not even gonna go there, it’s just too awful for contemplation.

Jessica
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 1:40 pm

Thomas is adorable.

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 6:50 pm

Isn’t he? You need to check out his new blog! http://changingcoloursofahairdyeaddict.tumblr.com/

Arianne
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 4:06 pm

I actually really like the pink hair on Katy, besides what is happening on her roots of course. Fix that and I think it’s very cute on her. :)

I love the Jessica Alba beehive! I think it’s the swooping long bangs action that makes it work and not too prom-like.

Jenncharina
Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 5:46 pm

I’m thinking that I’m definitely in the minority here but I’ve a soft spot for pink hair. Aside from the roots, I think it suite KP. Her hair matches her pink bubblegum music.

A huge WTF to Demi’s nails. I can’t even imagine the scratches she inflicts on herself (or her sexual partner). It’s just so trailer trash tacky. I don’t understand why people who have access to the best the beauty world has to offer make these terrible choices. What a waste!

I’m on the fence on JA’s hair. There must be a weave to fill in the hair. But as per usual, her face is beautiful. Bych. ;-)

Closet ex-Manic Panic user/whore

Wednesday, August 3/2011 at 6:53 pm

That’s 2 votes for KP’s hair!
As for JA… her skin is SICK. Meaning amazing. This pic was originally 10x the size before I cropped it down, and even magnified at that size, there are no flaws. No pores, even.

QuiteLight
Thursday, August 4/2011 at 9:15 am

I love the pink hair! That makes SO much more sense on her than boring blonde! Cute & perky & kitsch. She’s one of those people I never wanted to like, but find myself ebing entertained by on a regular basis.

I agree with your “you need to dress for The Hair” statement. My one foray into full hair colouring (other than a stint with highlights) was to dye my hair (temporarily, I have an office job) dark purple. I LOVED it for about 2 weeks, but I required a full outfit & full makeup to balance it out; I have never had to powder in my brows before in my life! Then it started to fade through a rainbow of pastels that took MONTHS to grow & wash out of my apparently absorbent blonde hair. I looked like an alien bimbo from one of those old Star Trek episodes… a little like Katy at points, now that I think about it…

As to how she’s done up (or not), hell, everybody has to hit the corner store at some point. I am actually relieved she CAN go out without full makeup & hair.

I kind of feel the opposite about Demi’s nails. I hate them, but if she’s going to do something that gaudy, I want the full out gaudy outfit & makeup & glitter like she’s done there.

Finally, Jessica looks cute, and I cannot BELIEVE I said that about a beehive!

Anya
Thursday, August 4/2011 at 12:20 pm

Dagger nails are so gross to me. They look like Lord Voldemort’s nails!

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 5:42 pm

Hilarious! I’m stealing that.

Lorra
Thursday, August 4/2011 at 1:27 pm

Bravo..it is only hair and she is young and a rock star and if you can’t have pink hair with those credentials..and besides who cares. really. IT’S HAIR!!!! it grows, we colour it, change it and yes we get upset when it looks horrible but at the end of the day…have fun with your look and Katie is. So I say Bravo.

Mellyjo
Thursday, August 4/2011 at 2:24 pm

Pretty tribute to Ms. Winehouse …?

Kharina
Thursday, August 4/2011 at 5:03 pm

Didn’t Kurt Cobain dye his hair that pink back in the day?

Kathy
Thursday, August 4/2011 at 6:07 pm

Katy = not original, but hasn’t been done in a while, so it is bearable.
Demi = reminds me of my cousin, who at 39 is a grandmother…
Jessica = Ditto on Meelyjo’s tribute to Amy comment

Meeka
Friday, August 5/2011 at 2:01 am

Yep, Katy needs to get those roots sorted out asap. I also wish her hair was a brighter, more vibrant pink. But you know, if anyone can pull off pink hair it’s Katy, and I’m not even a fan.
I am also not a fan of dagger nails. I am firmly in the squoval nail camp. I think for Demi the rest of her outfit is just her, she seems to have a quirky, modern, boho thing going on. I still won’t give a pass on the nails.
Ms Alba may be a gorgeous woman but I’m not feeling the beehive either. She looks good but it just doesn’t appeal to me at all.

QuiteLight
Friday, August 5/2011 at 8:44 am

Funny, I was hoping for a more cotton-candy pink!

Stefanie
Friday, August 5/2011 at 12:58 pm

Ok Jessica Alba has never looked better! I can’t even comment on the other two because all I care about is how good she looks! I know it’s cliche (because she’s pregnant) but she’s glowing! I love her face with a little extra “weight” (ugly word?) on it, she just looks so much more vital and alive. Any chance for a tutorial on this hair? I need it on my head now!

Dallas
Friday, August 5/2011 at 4:43 pm

I love the Thomas shout out! His comments are the best!

I think the pink hair has potential, IF (and only if) she finds a way to make it work as a sexy ethereal sexy look, and do brushed-out curls, maybe some tone-on-tone pink/champagne/platinum highlights… but as it stands now, you’re totally right about the teen angst manic panic look.

Lisa
Friday, August 5/2011 at 6:19 pm

Thomas is the best! I always read the blog here, and immediately what Thomas wrote. You guys compliment each other very well. :)

Thomas
Friday, August 5/2011 at 6:25 pm

Aww thank you :’) also if you like my comments, check out my blog – you might like it! http://changingcoloursofahairdyeaddict.tumblr.com/

Marisa
Saturday, August 6/2011 at 10:05 pm

I once saw Jessica Alba in person in a cafe down the street from the salon I used to work at in Beverly Hills. She was in yoga clothes, a baseball cap, obviously no makeup.

She was still the most RADIANT person I have ever seen. Gorgeous. Amazing. I was (and am) so, so jelly.

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:45 pm

Wow – love stories like this! So often celebrities are disappointing in real life when you realize their good looks are all down to makeup and lighting (as well as surgery if we’re really being honest!). Alba got crazy lucky in the gene pool.

QuiteLight
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 8:33 am

;) I prefer thinking it’s all makeup & special effects! I get too jealous thinking they get out of bed looking like that!

Nomadic D
Sunday, August 14/2011 at 5:32 pm

As someone who’s actually HAD pink hair (well, ok, not all of it, but pretty large highlight sections underneath), I feel qualified to say, that is not cute. Like you said, those roots are looking pretty bad (which doesn’t make any sense cause didn’t she just have this done?). And also the shade is a little sickly sweet for my taste. I say if you’re gonna do it, go fuchsia! That Demi who-ever-she-is scares me. And Jessica looks lovely, but that hairdo is what I got at my cousin’s turkish wedding, and it made me feel like a 50s country singer. And not in a great way. Just saying.

Niki
Wednesday, August 17/2011 at 4:12 pm

Oh, I love Demi. I think she knows she’s not tiny like Selena Gomez or other teen stars ATM so she tries to make it less obvious or maybe use that to her advantage (if that even makes sense) by going big: you know, big hair, heavy makeup, loads of accessories etc… but it doesn’t look good. She just overdoes it a bit, unfortunately. Oh well. She probably just needs some more time to play around with looks before she finds something that really suits her.
Jessica Alba is gorgeous. I swear she can do no wrong.