Teen Choice Awards ’11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange… and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

Teen Choice Awards 2011 - Taylor Swift

Did you watch the Teen Choice Awards last night? All I know is that it’s the awards ceremony where they give out the surfboards. And like the MTV Movie Awards and the Billboard Music Awards, it’s one of those “casual” red carpet events—which for me, would be a nightmare to dress for. Don’t you think? I have no problem when the dress code calls for black tie, or the complete opposite (sundresses, jeans and if we’re really talking, even stretch pants occupy way too much space in my wardrobe). But the territory in between is always tricky. How do you strike that perfect balance between Appropriately Dressy yet Not Trying Too Hard?

One of the ways is with beauty. The right lip, the right eyeshadow, the right hairstyle—they can all either elevate a casual outfit, or tone down one that’s otherwise too glam. It’s magic, truly. And some of the stars here, such as our friends Taylor and Blakey, really demonstrate how it’s done. (Fergie, on the other hand, well, there are no words.) Let’s review:

ZOMG! Taylor Swift is wearing turquoise eyeshadow!

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Taylor Swift Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

This is a big day, people. BIG day. Because it’s extremely rare that Taylor experiments with her makeup beyond the standard liquid liner, false lashes and ruby-red lips. The last time I got this excited for her on a red carpet, it was when she had bangs and straight hair. Sure, I would’ve loved to see her loosen up the rest of her style to go with this wash of turquoise, but I’ll take what I can get.

Maybe Blake Lively should wear orange more often.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Blake Lively Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

Because somehow the dress and the hair and the skin and the eyeshadow is all working for me. Don’t ask me how—maybe it’s because she’s followed this post and gone for a cool-coloured lip to shake things up. And that makes two posts in a row where I’ve praised Blake’s style. Must be the Leonardo DiCaprio influence.

Fergie math: roots + over-bleached blonde = beauty tragedy.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Fergie Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

I was going to add “overly tanned skin” and “obvious trout pout” to the equation, but I’m trying to be nicer in 2011. At any rate, the hair is enough to break a beauty editor’s heart. There are cool, edgy roots (sometimes known as “Ombré”—maybe you’ve heard of it?) and then there are these. Plus, why did she go messing with her colour when she had such a flattering dark blonde? The backdrop’s not helping, but I think this one makes her skin tone look almost green.

Selena Gomez always looks perfect. Always.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Selena Gomez Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

I can’t believe I even know this, but SELENA AND JUSTIN DID NOT BREAK UP. There. I said it. Moving on—how pretty is her matching pink shadow and lipstick? That’s definitely a look to try for the brunettes out there.

Really not feeling Rachel Bilson’s eyeshadow nor her Ombré.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Rachel Bilson Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

Okay, out the two, the eyeshadow is definitely the more problematic. Why so dark and in that weird horizontal stripe? Upon closer examination, I’m wondering if she was trying to conceal puffy eyelids. You allergy sufferers will know what I’m talking about—when hay fever hits, you can wake up barely able to see, and not even a steady dose of Benadryl will totally eradicate it. So if that’s the case, I sympathize. The hair, on the other hand, needs to go now. Rach, you were once my poster child for Ombré, but it’s time to move on.

Zooey Deschanel has her look and she’s sticking to it, dammit!

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Zooey Deschanel Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

Now here is an example of someone who knows what works for her, seasons and trends be damned. For summer, I’m not sure about that red lip with the heavy hair, pale skin and black lace… only Zooey could pull it off. She does, however, need some Visine—or my preferred remedy, which I tweeted about this morning, diluted apple cider vinegar. (Seriously, it works!)

Adorbs! I love Nina Dobrev’s high ponytail and winged eyeliner.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Nina Dobrev Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

This is so cute, I can’t even stand it. It’s along the same lines as Jessica Alba’s makeup last week, although nobody—NOBODY—has an otherworldly glow like The Alba. (Sorry Nina.) It’s still a great look, and definitely one to copy if you want to wear a ponytail but feel like it’s too casual.

Lucy Hale’s looking a bit shiny, but I still love her side-swept waves.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Lucy Hale Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

Powder and primer, Lucy. It’s time to invest. Otherwise, you’re doing really well here. For anyone who wants a how-to, check out this post where we break down the look as seen on Rosario Dawson (with bonus mini-braid!).

Here’s Avril Lavigne. Yawn.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Avril Lavigne Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

I know we’re supposed to be all “yay! Avril!” since she’s Canadian, but I can never rally for this girl. Aside from the fact that she’s dating a Jenner, I just feel like she doesn’t grow up or EVOLVE. Can’t we move on from the angsty skater chick look and at least, I don’t know, use some blush?

I really like Tyra Banks’ hair here.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Tyra Banks Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

She really is quite a beautiful woman when she tones it down instead of going for the full-on, borderline drag-queeny sort of beauty.

Like Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana is another one who never gets it wrong.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Zoe Saldana Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

Simple makeup, pretty hair: it’s a winning combo. If you recall her look at the Met Ball, it was basically the same thing but with slightly more textured hair and heavier eye makeup. Zoe’s just not one of those stars who will push our beauty buttons, and that’s okay by me.

I feel a bit blah about Maggie Q here.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Maggie Q Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

You? I can’t quite put my finger on what’s wrong. Her hair is amazing (see here if you want instructions for Ombré on Asian hair). Her makeup is low-key, but perhaps too much so with the white dress? I’d also love to see her with bangs—since she has kind of a long face, they’d look smokin’.

Ashley Greene has the shiniest hair I’ve seen in a long time.

Teen Choice Awards 2011 Ashley Greene Teen Choice Awards 11: Taylor takes a beauty risk, Blake embraces the orange... and Fergie REALLY needs to touch up her roots

And isn’t it like a breath of fresh air, since we’ve been experiencing this prolonged trend of dry, fuzzy, slightly frizzy hair? I say YES. Something is setting off my plastic-face sensors, however. Is it her nose? I think so. Shame.

Tell me:

Which celeb do you think looked the best?
Who should’ve stayed home in sweats instead of walking the red carpet?
Can you believe there’s still so much Ombré going on? Yay or nay?

Courtney
Monday, August 8/2011 at 10:17 pm

I have been waiting for this post from you! I’m actually quite excited about taylor swifts new look…aside from the eyeshadow, I must find out what peachy lipstick she is wearing. Any idea?

Ashley greenes nose is awful! Its really too bad. Have you looked at older pictures of Blake Lively (circa sisterhood of the travelling pants days) compared to now? I was reading a “nosejob post” about blake on someone’s blog earlier today and it really looks like she’s had some work since then. Looks good though!

Xo
Courtney

Rebekah
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 11:03 am

Taylor Swift is the spokes model for CoverGirl’s new NatureLuxe line and they have a “gloss balm” so if I were to guess, I’d say it’s from that line. I’ve tried the Coral which is a lovely orangey/peachy colour and it looks like Taylor may be wearing that one.

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:47 pm

The lip is CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Rapture #280. I agree, so pretty!

I once did a post on Blake’s old nose: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/05/07/blake-lively-scarlett-johansson-and-kim-kardashian-have-all-had-some-serious-rhinoplasty/ It’s amazing what a difference noses can make (when done right).

Erin
Monday, August 8/2011 at 11:08 pm

Umm, Ashley green looks awful! What happened to her? She was a pretty girl.

Nina looks awesome. I love Lucy Hale, and so even though you’re right–she’s a little shiny–I still think she looks lovely. Also, as one with crazy oily skin that rejects all powder and primers after about 30 minutes, I sympathize with her plight.

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:48 pm

Same here! Plus the fairer you are, the more the camera flash reflects off your skin… so it’s doubly annoying for some of us. :-)

Samantha
Monday, August 8/2011 at 11:13 pm

I think Ashley Greene looked good except her makeup is a bit too dark. Maggie Q looked good but I think she needed a pop of color somewhere, on her lips, eyes, or dress maybe. Its nice to see a change of pace on Taylor Swift. Rachel Bilson looks sick in that picture. Zooey Deschanel looks very pale in the face and kind of scary. Avril and Fergie just straight up look bad. I think the lighting in these phots were bad, because everyone looks a bit washed out.

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:49 pm

They’re non-retouched photos so yeah, when they’re published in magazines I’m sure the colours will be pumped up. But I like the raw material for “constructive criticism” purposes.

Makeup Morsels
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 12:20 am

Nina Dobrev looks amazing! I can’t even fully understand how she can look that good…

I agree w/ Erin, I think Maggie Q could use a little pop of color, otherwise she looks great. And bangs might be a nice addition as well. As for Taylor, yay for her switching it up! But I don’t know about the lip color, my eye kind of doesn’t know whether to go to the eyes or the lips first, since both are on the fresh and colorful side.

sahiba
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 7:03 am

Hi there, nice blog – just wanted to acknowledge that with a comment

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:51 pm

Thanks! :-)

Thomas
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 8:10 am

Personally, I really like Taylor Swift’s whole look at this event. The ponytail was nice too, and the whole thing looked very… fresh and summery I think. I had to say it (because I’m not trying to be too nice for 2011), but how OLD is Fergie looking now? Seriously. I don’t know why she went sooo mega blonde either. As you have mentioned before, this shade rarely suits anyone outside of the Playboy Mansion.

Selena Gomez is the prettiest girl in the world and I don’t think she will ever look bad in anything (barring that halloweeny, blue monstrosity), plus Zooey Deschanel looks rather scary in this picture. I’m sensing a bit of a Helena Bonham Carter thing going on there, or is it just me? Lucy Hale, I love her and she can do no wrong in my eyes. What is up with Avril’s eyeliner though? Its like, squared off at the bottom… Don’t get this look at all. And finally, Ashley Greene. I hate this look. HATE. I just think the poker straight hair does nothing for her… and I totally agree, what is up with that nose? She looks sooo much better with the Alice pixie hair.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:55 pm

Okay, this is super mean but sometimes I think Fergie is a walking ad for saying no to drugs. You can’t escape that kind of thing. But she’s not helping herself here with the hair + tan.

I can totally see the Helena Bonham Carter in Zooey! It’s a fine line and she’s dangerously close to crossing it…

Hel1
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 9:57 am

If you want to know how Maggie Q looks with bangs, you should watch her series “Nikita”. Apart from this being a kick-ass show, you’ll see some flashbacks of her character with bangs.

And for Ashley Greene’s nose, it’s just natural! MTV has yearbook pictures of her where she was 16 years old http://www.mtv.com/movies/photos/a/ashley_greene_090824/ashley5.jpg

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:58 pm

Just looked up some images from that show – I like the side bangs! Much better than what she has here… but still would love to see a blunt, straight-across bang, I feel like that would really suit her.

Crazy about Ashley’s nose! Still not convinced she hasn’t done *something*. It just looks so pinched!

QuiteLight
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 12:37 pm

I agree that Zoe Saldana is consistently gorgeous, which is why it took me a few minutes to figure out why this picture bugged me.

Why are her eyebrows red!?

I realize it was the style a few years ago to lighten eyebrows lighten than the hair (“it gives a Lift to the face!”), but since 99% of humanity have naturally Darker brows, it always looked really out of whack to me. I know there are a few platinum blondes & redheads with lighter brows, but forgive me if I’m wrong, isn’t that usually because they have thin brows with “missing” hairs, rather than lighter hairs?

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:01 pm

Hey good eye! That IS weird. I think it’s also off-putting because the tone is clashing with her hair… I think most of us naturally have ashy eyebrows, so I don’t know why they’ve been filled in or bleached to that particular hue. They look so much better here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/05/03/met-ball-11-its-a-retro-revival-celebs-are-channeling-old-hollywood-with-red-lips-long-lashes-deep-side-parts-and-soft-waves/

Marisa
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 1:25 pm

Thomas, I totally agree- Fergie is looking hagalicious, eek.

Gisele
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 6:51 pm

Ashley Greene’s face scares me. I’m sorry.

Rachel has had ombre hair for 40 years now and it just doesn’t look good anymore. It clashes with so many colours. Ugh.

Zoe, Lucy and Nina look great. I just love shiny hair.

Alyssa
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 12:18 am

Dammit! Selena gomez puts us all to shame!

Meg
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 9:03 pm

Selena Gomez looks bodacious here. I loooove her (matching) makeup and covet her hair.

Zooey Deschanel usually looks so much cuter than this. Here, she looks so much older thanks to the piles of makeup on her face, a la Katy Perry (plus, the crazy in her eyes isn’t helping). Lighten up, honey! It’s summer!

Kaite
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 12:18 am

I honestly don’t know when Selena became a walking beauty how to do basically everything right, book. I mean I’d watched her in Wizards since like it started (embarrassing I know lol) and all of a sudden she’s just so adult like.

Nina looked so adorable it almost distracted me from Ian and Paul…almost :)
I love lucy just in general so even with the shine I thought she looked great.
Even though Emma Stone isn’t on your list here she looked lovely as always and I was reminded once again how great she looks with red hair.

The second I saw Taylor’s eyeshadow I thought of you…is that weird? probably, but it’s true. I was just really excited she’d strayed from the typical.

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 4:56 pm

Haha! We are all on Taylor Swift beauty watch – any sign of experimentation is a thrill. :-)

Denise
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 2:29 pm

Dear Fergie,
Let me start off by saying I love, love, your makeup in this photo. That being said…
Please RUN DON’T WALK to your hair dresser and INSIST he/she put a red protein filler then a level 7 golden based demipermannt color on your hair, followed by a deep condish. If you want he can leave out the ends untill the last moment. Believe me they are so bleached they’ll pull enough color is sixty seconds. Oh and this is after removing the too long extensions. I like you a lot but but you were standing in the handsome husband line while the not looking your age was being passed out or something. Too long too blond hair just calls attention to this.
Then tell your hairdresser to not accept your calls for at least a six weeks. Or better find a new hairdresser who a. would not have over bleached you like that and b. could find time to fit you in when needed.

A fan

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 5:01 pm

Haha, I love how specific your instructions are! You must be a colourist.

Kharina
Friday, August 12/2011 at 1:40 pm

I don’t get the really heavy false lash look – it makes them look like a half sister to the Kardashians. Zooey’s makeup needed a more summer update, looked like she went heavy on the powder which dulled her skin down big time. Saldana looks gorgeous. As for poor Rachel – looks like some blending was missed out, sack that MUA pronto.

Mary
Sunday, August 14/2011 at 5:17 pm

I’m definitely not a fan of Rachel Bilson’s makeup here – and in case you’re interested, here’s a post from the makeup artist who did it! She explains the makeup trend she was going for, and although I’m not against mixing coppers and silvers (if done correctly), I feel that the application was all wrong.