Video: Totally excellent tips ‘n tricks—plus a new tool!—to help you create a top-notch top knot

Vanessa Hudgens top knot

You know how skinny jeans became a trend circa 2005? And ballerina flats even years before that? Well, it’s 2011 and they are both still in style—and that’s kind of how I predict things will go with the top knot. Sure, it was all we could talk about, hair-wise, last year… but it’s showing no signs of going away. And why should it? It’s totally easy, totally adorable—and totally handy when you don’t have time to wash your hair.

That said, I’ve just realized that my how-to from last year was a bit lacking, because hairstylist Brennen Demelo (who recently showed us how to get brushed-out waves) has some way better tips and tricks. I’m serious—watch this demo and you will learn stuff:

Here’s the tool he used; it’s called the Goody Bun Spiral:

Goody Bun Spiral Video: Totally excellent tips n tricks—plus a new tool!—to help you create a top notch top knot

I’m not so crazy about the optional accessorizing, especially with the orange and yellow flowers, but if you stuck with just the black, I would approve.

Tell me:

Are you still a fan of the top knot?
How great is Brennen’s finger-backcombing tip?
Have you tried the Bun Spiral yet?

Nora
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 4:10 pm

Just as the Spin Pin revolutionized my low-slung buns and up dos, this bun spiral should do just the trick for my top knot! There will, however be no accessorizing a la this video – I agree with you there Michelle!

Thomas
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 4:26 pm

I love this trend if its done right – for example the picture of Vanessa looks perfect to me, although the one in the video looks too high up for my liking. It just looks vertical almost… Prefer the softer version!

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Jenna
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 4:40 pm

I’m with you Thomas, too high for my liking too, but I totally want a bun spiral! Damn you, international flight luggage limits!

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 12:50 pm

I think he purposely made it very high to accommodate all the giant flowers.

Jenna
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 3:56 pm

Well I hope thats why! cool vid though!

Meghan
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 5:04 pm

I enjoyed watching how the stylist achieved this look (Goody always amazes me with their clever tools) but I don’t think I’d wear this style for myself. It looks too “Conehead” like for me and makes me chuckle when I see it. I don’t think I could take myself seriously wearing a style like this (my boyfriend would be merciless) – but if others can pull it off and look fantastic, more power to them. :) Thanks for sharing! I’m not that good at styling hair on my own so I enjoy being presented with easy options like this. More please!

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 12:52 pm

Oh I think you could totally tone it down for a softer, more ballerina-type look a la Vanessa Hudgens… like I said above, I think he had to make it super-tall on purpose because of those flowers.

Gisele
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 6:45 pm

The bun spin thing doesn’t work at all! I hate it. The spin pins are good though.

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 12:53 pm

I agree it doesn’t work if your hair is very slippery… that’s why I love the backcombing tip. Doing it on dirty hair should help too.

Lindsay
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 11:19 pm

that knot is OUTRAGEOUS! hahah way too high for my liking :S and i agree, the accessories are atrocious! (well my words not yours ;p) she looks like a hawaiian cartoon character! :S i love the top knot, but i dont really dig this hair stylist…wasnt that impressed with his last video either- its like its almost good, but he doesnt quiet get there for me. in the words of randy jackson ‘it was just aaaiiigght for me dog’ haha

however, the new spin pin, i could work with! :) unfortunately, i dont think they sell them in Australia :(

i have been doing this style by not pulling the hair all the way through the last last time the hair band goes around (hard to explain :S) and then wrapping the rest around that little mini bun to get volume, also it helps if i do it at night and sleep on it :P

Jenna
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:52 am

I totally get the same problem (coming from Tassie!) – I’m holidaying in Canada atm but there just isn’t enough weight left over in my suitcase for all the things I need to bring home with me – David’s Tea and accessories, maple syrup products (I found a maple and herb rub for roast chicken yesterday!) Goody, etc etc…

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 12:56 pm

I love that you’re stocking up on maple syrup! You know what I miss from living in Australia? Those jars of marinated mussels that you could buy at the grocery store. They were SO good and we have nothing like that here…

Jenna
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 3:58 pm

Oh totally! The maple at home is sooo 2nd rate. The mussels are good – but I bet you probably couldn’t get them through customs. Always the way with the best things!

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 12:55 pm

Oh really? I loved his wavy hair!
I think I know what you mean re: not pulling the hair through the elastic… but it stays put when you sleep on it? That is impressive!

Mia
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 11:57 pm

I love the spinpins but this tool is stoopid. I thing the bun in the video looks silly… and I’ve tried to use this tool on a bun closer to the head but this bun spiral thingy won’t go over it (if that makes sense). So, useless to me.

Sophia
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 2:28 pm

I wish my hair was long enough so I could at least try this look. Like others have said, I might tone it down slightly, but I like how relaxed and carefree it looks.

Roxy
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 9:49 pm

Yup, I agree with most of the comments…the bun spiral didn’t work for me. It didn’t hold my hair at all! But to be fair, I have asian slippery hair. The spin pins are great though!

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 5:18 pm

Yeah, it doesn’t work on my hair’s normal texture either, but if I rough it up (backcombing and/or texturizing prodz) or if it’s dirty, it works much better. But I can imagine Asian hair, which is much thicker than mine, would be an even bigger challenge!

Gina
Friday, August 12/2011 at 7:39 pm

He’s totally hot.
Shoppers doesn’t sell Goody products…
What stores do?

Jenna
Saturday, August 13/2011 at 4:16 pm

I found Goody items in loblaws if that helps!

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 4:47 pm

I know, I can’t believe Shoppers doesn’t have Goody anymore! Instead there’s some weird house brand (FAIL). Have seen at Walmart and Zellers if that helps…

Vivian
Thursday, August 18/2011 at 6:52 pm

Sooo I ended up picking this up at Target while I was in the States…. yeah not so good on my long, fine, and super straight hair. As you had mentioned in some of the comments, unless my hair is pretty grimy or backcombed the ring just slips out.

ps- while at Target, also picked up the Lavera self-tanner lotion :D