Maybe you’ve noticed: we have a new contributor ’round these here parts. Meet Elizabeth—and find out her best beauty tips!

Elizabeth

Gentle Reader. I’ve only been writing this blog since 2009, but already I feel like we’ve been through so much. There was the great Ombré experiment of 2010, our many attempts to get the perfect non-Eagle application of foundation and powder, that time when I went off on medium tones, and of course, my incessant babbling about OMGcodliveroil. It’s kind of like we’re in a relationship—which is why I don’t take the idea of threesomes lightly.

Did I just cross a line? What I mean is that there are three of us now: you, me and brand-new BEAUTYEDITOR.ca contributor Elizabeth Oborne, who you may have noticed was the author of several awesome recent articles—including this one on the wonders of coconut oil, this list of what to pack when you travel and this post on how fabulous infrared saunas are for your skin and body. You already know that she used to work as a flight attendant on private jets (!). But here’s a little bit more intel: Elizabeth is now based out of Vancouver, where she recently completed her B.A. as well as a certificate in magazine publishing and a registered Holistic Nutrition diploma. It’s the latter (as well as her fabulous writing) that makes her a kindred spirit, because as you know, I’m a closet health geek myself.

So I think it’s high time you guys met. I’m a firm believer that you don’t REALLY know someone until you peek inside her makeup bag (and I’m not even kidding), so here’s a little beauty Q&A—I’m the Q, Elizabeth is the A—to help you guys get acquainted.

How would you describe your look?

I think my look is pretty natural and low-key. I like playing around with smoky eyes or bright lipstick from time to time, but my everyday routine is very basic: a little Korres foundation over any areas of redness, bronzer (a mineral bronzer or NARS Laguna), M.A.C eyeliner in Teddy, and two or three coats of Maybelline New York Volum’ Express mascara (to bolster my extremely fine and light-coloured lashes).

Gisele Bundchen Maybe youve noticed: we have a new contributor round these here parts. Meet Elizabeth—and find out her best beauty tips!Who is your beauty icon?

Oh my gosh, I have so many people who inspire me! I’m a big fan of Gisele’s look—her makeup is usually super-natural, and she has a beachy, healthy vibe that I love. And I try to copy her hair all the time. Jessica Biel can do no wrong in my eyes, and I also love Leighton Meester’s hair and makeup. She and I have similar colouring, and the same brown hair and eyes, so I always like seeing what she’s doing. My classic icon, though, is Brigitte Bardot. She’s unbelievably sexy, and her cat eye look and voluminous hair is out of this world. What I would give to have her genes…

What makes you feel beautiful?

This may sound cheesy but when I feel confident and happy, I feel beautiful. I love the (fabulous) Sophia Loren quote: “Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.” That being said, when everything comes together perfectly—my hair, my makeup, my outfit—and I get a compliment from someone, that makes me feel beautiful, too.

Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream Maybe youve noticed: we have a new contributor round these here parts. Meet Elizabeth—and find out her best beauty tips!How do you take care of your skin?

Well, I drink a ton of water! And I try to eat 3 or 4 tablespoons of coconut oil every day in addition to taking cod liver oil pills, which makes my skin really smooth and helps with breakouts. In the mornings, I splash my face with cold water, and then use a Josie Maran ‘Blemishes R Gone’ Argan Clearing Pad. I follow that up with Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream.

At night I wash my face with Avalon Organics Lavender Facial Cleansing Gel and then Aubrey Organics Rose Mosqueta & English Lavender Facial Toner. I switched a few months ago to mostly natural cleansing and moisturizing products to see if it would make a difference in my skin, and so far, so good. My skin doesn’t get sensitive like it used to with the other products, and I like knowing that I’m not putting harsh chemicals on my face. I also use Clinique All About Eyes and put pure argan oil on my neck and chest before going to bed.

Facials are an indulgence that I love but unfortunately don’t partake in as often as I’d like. (Although after reading Michelle’s Dermalogica facial recommendation, I definitely want to try one ASAP.) I’m also contemplating dropping some hard-earned cash on a Clarisonic brush. Anyone have one? Convince me!

What products are in your handbag right now?

Lip balm! X4! I’m 100 percent addicted to lip gloss and chapstick, and have my faves (Burt’s Bees Lip Balm and Korres Lip Butter) plus a few others stashed in there. I also have a bottle of moisturizing drops for my eyes (I wear contacts), The Body Shop’s Almond Oil Nail & Cuticle Pen and a sample bottle of Kiehl’s Musk Eau de Toilette, which smells amazing. It’ll definitely be my next fragrance purchase.

What’s worth splurging on? What should you save on?

I usually splurge on eyeliner, bronzer and natural products from Pangaea Organics, Dr. Hauschka and Korres. I also buy a lot of oils—argan oil, almond oil and coconut oil are my faves, and I always make sure they’re top quality, but the price adds up when you go through them like I do! I used to buy expensive mascara—I loved DiorShow—but then I started using Maybelline New York, and found that with enough coats, it was pretty comparable, so I save my money there. Michelle tweeted recently, however, that she swears by Lancôme Hypnôse, so I may have to make another foray into high-end products. I usually splurge when I hear a lot of great things about a product, but if I want to try something on a whim, like a bright pink lipstick, I’ll hit the drugstore.

Byredo Gypsy Water Maybe youve noticed: we have a new contributor round these here parts. Meet Elizabeth—and find out her best beauty tips!What was your first fragrance? And what’s your current one?

My first fragrance was Exclamation by Coty. I had a tiny little bottle and felt like such a grown-up spraying it on myself. Then I graduated to Davidoff Cool Water, which I was totally obsessed with. It’s funny thinking about it because I haven’t smelled it in so long, and I wonder if I’d still like it or be totally put off by the fragrance… It must be halfway decent though, ’cause somehow it made it onto the top ten summer fragrances of 2010 list!

My current fragrance is Jo Malone Orange Blossom Cologne; it’s very light and fresh and yummy. I’m also dying to try Byredo Gypsy Water Eau de Parfum—just because of the name. I’m kind of infatuated with the gypset lifestyle (gypset = gypsy + jetset). (The way these gypsies live? Not so much.)

Gwyneth Paltrow cupping Maybe youve noticed: we have a new contributor round these here parts. Meet Elizabeth—and find out her best beauty tips!What’s the weirdest thing you’ve done in the name of beauty?

I had cupping acupuncture done about a year ago, which is supposed to bring blood to the surface of the skin and remove toxins, and also be effective at reducing pain. I was really intrigued and wanted to try it for my overall health, but all I ended up with was big circles on my back and a few bruises where my toxicity was especially high (a la Gwyneth Paltrow). Definite beauty fail. Especially in the summer time.

Have you had any major beauty fails?

One of my biggest fails happened in grade seven when my heart was set on having bangs. Now, you have to know that my hair is very fine and very wavy (but not really a pretty wave—it’s more of a messy frizz), which isn’t exactly the perfect vehicle for face-framing fringe. Regardless, I had my mom cut my hair and fashion me the lusted-after bangs. You can probably picture the atrocity: wispy, curling strands of hair dispersed haphazardly over my forehead. Sadly, I had no idea that I could at least blow dry them straight—I didn’t style them AT ALL. I think I was pretty stoked on them at the time, but looking back at pictures now, I’m horrified.

Emily Blunt arrives at the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards Maybe youve noticed: we have a new contributor round these here parts. Meet Elizabeth—and find out her best beauty tips!What’s your biggest beauty pet peeve?

My biggest pet peeve is really unnatural-looking highlights. Like black hair with white blonde streaks. Who does that?! It looks so bad. Oh, and I’m also really disturbed by “the Eagle.” I know it happens to the best of us (or does it?), but when it’s really pronounced, and somebody’s foundation is totally the wrong colour for their skin tone, the offensiveness is amplified.

What beauty trend do you wish would go away?

I’m not a big fan of nail art. Those new press-on nail polish strips in zebra print and lace overlay? You won’t be seeing them on me (except maybe at Halloween).

If you could revive a beauty trend, which would it be?

I love black nail polish. I actually don’t know if it’s out of style to paint your nails black—maybe it’s more of a fall thing—but I think it looks really cool and so I’m currently searching for the perfect tone. Suggestions?

dry brush Maybe youve noticed: we have a new contributor round these here parts. Meet Elizabeth—and find out her best beauty tips!What is your best beauty tip?

The beauty tips that have stuck in my mind the most, and which I regularly hear supermodels repeat, are: always remove your makeup before bed, and drink lots of water. I definitely try to follow these rules and I’m sure my skin benefits. Another fantastic tip is to sweep a natural-bristle brush across your body in the direction of your heart after showering. Dry-brushing helps the skin shed toxins, improves circulation and skin tone, and strengthens the lymphatic and immune systems.

If you could invent a beauty product, what would it be?

I’d formulate the perfect frizz-fighting, curl-forming potion that could be put in wet hair and would make it dry perfectly without any styling—it would save me so much time and frustration! I have a whole cupboard full of slightly-used hair products that didn’t do a dang thing for me.

If you had to take three beauty products with you on a desert island, which would they be?

I’d definitely bring my Burt’s Bees lip balm and my mascara (did I mention I have VERY fine and light eyelashes?), and probably some coconut oil because it could do double-duty as a moisturizer and as a diet staple!

Stay tuned for more posts from Elizabeth—and make sure to follow her on Twitter! In the meantime, tell us:

Are you digging Elizabeth’s mostly natural product picks?
Have you tried any of her favourites?
What beauty and/or health topics would you like to see her tackle next?

Thomas
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 1:19 pm

I really loved Elizabeth’s articles so far, particularly the coconut oil one. I tried to find it at my local health food store and they had JUST sold out… NOT happy. I have however started taking these daily Omega-3 capsule thingies. I’m sincerely hoping they actually do something and that I haven’t bought the wrong product! Also, stripey contrasty highlights – ARGH. Totally agree with you there Elizabeth, do these people enjoy looking like skunks??? Just… why?

Finally, in regards to ‘the great Ombré experiment of 2010′ , I will never be over Ombré. Ever. Although interestingly enough, now the big thing to do is to have Ombré on your nails! Lauren Conrad is a huuuuuge fan.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:27 pm

Omega-3′s are ok… but cod liver oil is way better. There’s another good article here about it: http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/10/10/why-fermented-cod-liver-oil/

OMG I don’t even think I can do Ombre nails. That’s another thing Elizabeth and I share – a dislike for nail art. Although I guess it’s not really art… I just prefer all my digits to be the same colour.

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 11:09 pm

Thomas! So nice to put a face to a name. Love your ombre post!

Serb
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 1:40 pm

I’d like to say welcome to Elizabeth! So far I have enjoyed reading all your posts, and its nice to have another talented writer on the scene :) Keep them coming!

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 11:08 pm

Thank YOU for all your sweet comments, Serb!

Janay
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 1:47 pm

I LOVE reading Elizabeth’s recommendations! Flight attending on a private jet sounds like an interesting job, I would love to hear more about that! I bet you have some good stories!

Susanne
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 4:10 pm

Welcome, Elizabeth! I can’t wait for more of your posts and recommendations (I’m on my second jar of coconut oil — totally digging it).

I’m also a secret health-food nut so this has officially become my favourite, go-to beauty blog. Holla!

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 5:28 pm

Yay! We’ll try to do more health-related/natural beauty posts. I’m having some coconut oil in my tea as I write this!

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 11:10 pm

Love it!

Jenna
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 4:13 pm

Enjoying your stuff, Elizabeth! Keep it coming!

LP
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:21 pm

you should dry brush before the shower, no? that’s what i’ve always heard/been told.

LP
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:27 pm

oh and btw i love this post! i’m a huge fan of many of the products listed here: Korres, Burt’s Bees and all the various oils, especially coconut. and i’m also really interested in the Clarisonic. i did some reading on dry brushing for the face (with a different, softer-bristled brush) and am wondering what the benefits are… anyone? insight?

Alessandra
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 7:01 pm

Dry brushing your skin should be done before a shower, not afterwards.

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 11:19 pm

You’re totally right Alessandra and LP! A lot of people DO recommend dry brushing before showering–for obvious reasons–but I was told in nutrition school that doing it after is also effective, because showering stimulates circulation and primes your skin for the brush. A Chinese medicine practitioner on Gwyneth Paltrow’s blog also suggests doing it after (http://goop.com/newsletter/39/en/). I’ve done it both ways, though, and both worked… But thanks for pointing that out!

Marisa
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 10:15 pm

Welcome, Elizabeth!

I currently have the Clarisonic Mia, and in my 10+ years of being an esthetician, I have never encountered a better skincare product. The delicate brush is perfect for the face, I prefer it over the normal. Every single blackhead I had was knocked out by the Mia, even the tiny pinpoint ones around my nose. Amazing.

I suggest the Clarisonic for all of my clients, I suggest it to people at the grocery store who compliment my skin, I would do an infomercial for them for no charge. Buy one!

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 11:11 pm

Ooh that’s amazing! I’m sold. Thanks, Marisa!

Meeka
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 1:13 am

Welcome Elizabeth! I’m a BC girl too though I’m a little misplaced right now living in Okinawa. I’ve been wanting to try out coconut oil as I’ve heard so much about it lately (and your post was great!) but sometimes things like that are hard to come by here. I have found what could be a holy grail hair product though, tsubaki oil. It’s quite popular here. It sounds like we have similar hair types and I use Shiseido Tsubaki Water spray on my wet hair and a little Moroccanoil Intense Curl Cream on the ends and I get super silky curly waves. I don’t use the straight oil as I always seem to overdo it no matter how little I use but I don’t think I’m even capable of overdoing the spray. I’ve also been using Oshima tsubaki shampoo and conditioner and every time I do my hair feels amazing! I’m hoping I’ll still be able to get it when I’m back home, I will cry if I can’t!

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for the recc, Meeka! The tsubaki water/oil/shampoo sound awesome! Wonder if we can get it here..?!

Alessandra
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 2:02 am

Interesting. I’m not qualified to say if there would be any real negative effects from doing it afterwards besides the skin cells you just sloughed off wouldn’t be removed but I’ve always read that it should only be done with completely dry skin and it be followed with some form of hydrotherapy (perhaps only to remove the dead skin? not sure..) Either way it is truly awesome -xx

QuiteLight
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 12:43 pm

Awesome sauce, we have a lot of the same beauty rituals, Elizabeth! Dry body brushing (Team Before), bottles of oil, Dr. Haushka (although his Rose Cream has been ousted by a local organic cream with amazing treatment creams, From the Meadow), water & organic everything-I-can-arrange-&-afford. I am really looking forward to hearing your recommendations; clean ingredients are Really important to me.

Article ideas; clean hair products!!! My hair is fine & messy. It used to be poker straight, but last 5 years or so, it’s just kind of gone… bent? Like, it gets really frizzy, has a few curves (not always in attractive places), and has become even less manageable. It’s just below shoulder length now, & I don’t feel like chopping it off for a while. I could use some clean stylers & smoothers!

Michelle, I have started on the CLO gel caps, and so far (in less than a week), the only zit I’ve gotten is healing bizarrely fast, like all the phases in a few days. Plus, I’ve boosted my omegas (walnuts, & brazil nuts, plus already doing Udo’s in my smoothies), and I think it’s all combining at once. My skin is starting to look great! FINALLY! Thanks for the suggestions!

Now, off to review coconut oil… plotting for future beauty upgrades as budget allows…

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 4:40 pm

Amazing! You know I love the CLO testimonials! :-)
Does Udo’s have a taste or do you just add it into things? I keep hearing about that stuff…

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 7:00 pm

I’ve used Udo’s and think it’s great, but I’m currently trying hemp oil.
QuiteLight, sounds like we have almost the same hair! I’m with ya on the curves–not always in attractive places! Would love to do a post on clean hair prodz.

QuiteLight
Monday, August 15/2011 at 4:14 pm

I WISH I had curls like yours! But thanks, looking forward to it!

QuiteLight
Monday, August 15/2011 at 4:06 pm

Udo’s goes into my morning berry smoothies, where I do not notice any taste at all. It has a mild “omega-y” flavour otherwise. If I’m out of Udo’s & make the smoothie without it, though, I don’t feel satisfied on some level, like a craving has been left hanging.

You can’t cook with it, but I don’t think it’d be hideous to take a spoonful either. I just haven’t.

Johanna Jensen
Thursday, August 11/2011 at 9:11 pm

The product she’d invent almost sounds like argan oil, does wonders for my frizzy hair. :)

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 7:01 pm

I use Moroccan Oil, but it only works on certain days. Tres annoying. I’ve also tried pure argan oil on my ends, which helps, but is still a bit heavy. Michelle recommended Ojon oil most recently, so I’m going to give that a shot at some point!

jenny
Friday, August 12/2011 at 12:36 am

ok FINE. you’ve convinced me. i’ll buy the coconut oil. so what do i do, eat it? and is there any particular brand that is the best? they have about 8 different kinds in my local health food store. oh and welcome elizabeth!

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 4:44 pm

Elizabeth will probably have more suggestions but I try to cook with it whenever I can, and I also put a tbsp into my tea. It’s great for baking too. I usually just buy whatever extra virgin brand is at the grocery store… right now I have Maison Orphee and Nutiva, both taste the same. (Nutiva is cheaper I think.)
Oh and I just started using it as a moisturizer after dry brushing (a different bottle than I use to eat, obviously). Elizabeth has inspired me! Will report back on any changes…

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 6:55 pm

Thanks, Jenny! Glad to hear I convinced you ;) AND that I’ve inspired Michelle! Woot! I love putting a heaping spoonful or two of coconut oil in my oat bran (which I eat pretty much every morning). It’s also REALLY good melted onto toast, in place of butter. I put it in my tea, too, like Michelle, and use it to bake. But my absolute favorite way to use it most recently is to cook pancakes with. I put a huge spoonful into a frying pan and heat it up, then drop the pancake batter in. It makes the pancakes all crispy on the edges… OMG… It’s unreal. (I’m truly obsessed).
Best brands I’ve discovered: Artisana, Tropical Traditions, Omega Nutrition, Nutiva, Maison Orphee (which is B.C. is a lot cheaper than the others).

jenny
Saturday, August 13/2011 at 7:42 pm

ok thanks guys!! I’ve convinced my roommate to go halvsies on it with me, and we will report back with tales of beautiful skin and hair!! LOL

Kharina
Friday, August 12/2011 at 1:29 pm

Believe it or not, there is actually a shortage of coconut, hence prices have been hiked up and it seems to run out very quickly! Just make sure you go for the extra virgin stuff, preferably organic.

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 4:37 pm

I use extra virgin as well but it’s actually not terrible to use refined (say, in cooking) if you don’t like the coconut taste: http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/2010/11/refined-coconut-oil.html

Brianne
Friday, August 12/2011 at 9:58 pm

I look forward to reading your articles! I love your hair, it’s so wavy and natural. My hair is similar but it always seems to flatten out. It would be interesting to hear your haircare routine.

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 6:48 pm

Thank you! “Natural” is definitely the right adjective :) I’m quite lazy when it comes to styling my hair (i.e. air drying is my friend)!

Brianne
Sunday, August 14/2011 at 8:35 pm

I love air drying as well. Which product do you use?

MandyB
Friday, August 12/2011 at 10:48 pm

I love my clarisonic (mia)! I find my skin is smoother and more balanced – no more oily or dry patches. Also, I find I don’t need to exfoliate anymore – so there’s a cost savings there I suppose. I also LOVE Korres products. The white tea cleanser works great with the clarisonic!

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 6:49 pm

Okay, definitely ordering the Mia. And I haven’t used the white tea cleanser yet but will totally check it out. Thanks!