Video: How boring is your ponytail? Give it an upgrade with this twisted version (it’s easy peasy!)

Kimberley Walsh - twisted ponytail

You know what? I think the ponytail is making a comeback. Not that it ever goes out of style, of course, but thanks to people like Olivia Wilde we’re seeing much more exciting ways to style them than ever before. Remember her high, wavy pony with bangs from a few weeks ago? (It was one of my suggestions for easy wedding hair.) And just recently, she showed off a bubble ponytail—check it out here—that we’re going to have to talk about in much more detail.

Probably she has worn the twisted ponytail that I’m going to show you how to do today… but I can’t find a pic, so the ones above of UK pop star Kimberley Walsh will have to do. Isn’t it cute? You definitely couldn’t get away with a regular pony on a red carpet, but this version is totally chic. Plus, it’s right on trend because the low pony was one of my top looks from F/W ’11 fashion week.

So that’s right kids, our friend Brennen Demelo is back for the third and final vid in our little hair series (check out the how-tos for brushed-out waves and the top knot if you missed them). Here’s how to get the twisted pony:

Now, the instructions in the video are a little different from the photo above, because Brennen leaves the hair loose instead of wrapping a section of hair around the base… but doing that is easy enough if you just stick the wrapped section into the Spin Pin before you twist. (I actually prefer the look on Kimberley to the one in the video. You?)

I’ve talked about the Mini Spin Pins before

Goody Mini Spin Pin Video: How boring is your ponytail? Give it an upgrade with this twisted version (its easy peasy!)I can actually use them to create a bun as well, since my hair is so pathetically fine and wimpy. But I was so impressed to find out that one pin replaces 20—TWENTY!—bobby pins. That’s amazing.

Tell me:

Are you a fan of the twisted ponytail?
Have you tried the Mini Spin Pins yet?
Do you think you’d channel Kimberley or Olivia and wear a ponytail for a special occasion?

Levi
Wednesday, August 17/2011 at 2:22 pm

Funny I was just thinking about this style. As iim looking at summer styles that are transitioning into fall. Great info here!

Levi

Doris
Wednesday, August 17/2011 at 3:11 pm

I recently bought the mini spin pins and they are quite easy to use and very comfortable to wear.

Thomas
Wednesday, August 17/2011 at 3:38 pm

I think this look is stunning, mainly because it is so versatile! For example, in the video if the curls were slightly more defined it would look soo perfect for like, a high-end event (i.e. wedding, bride or guest) yet if you loosened some hairs in the twists and same the end all beachy (like the video) its instantly a really fresh, beachy (dare I say it… indie?!) look. A very smart hairstyle, one that can be converted easily!

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Thursday, August 18/2011 at 11:08 am

I agree!

Mary
Wednesday, August 17/2011 at 6:51 pm

LOVE this…espeically the picture of Kimberley

Vivian
Wednesday, August 17/2011 at 8:24 pm

When I first saw your photo of Kimberley Walsh, I had a full-on flashback to childhood when my mom would use those hair gadgets from the 90s (it was called Topsy Tail… google saves the day once again LOL) and do this invert ponytail thing on my hair. The result would look pretty similar to Kimberley’s hair with the exception of the twists of hair along the sides. Anyways, I much prefer the mini spin pin version and will definitely have to give it a try. Have you tried using them to do the 3 mini buns along the nape of the neck? Joanne Goddard’s blog features a really cute version of it!

Thursday, August 18/2011 at 11:13 am

OMG Topsy Tail – haha! I never had one of those things but I did used to flip my ponytail up and then pull it through so it was sort of a low-tech version of this look.
Is this the Cup of Jo post? http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2011/03/three-twisted-buns.html I totally want to do that! She mentions mini bobby pins but you’re right, I think the spin pins would work even better.

Vivian
Thursday, August 18/2011 at 6:40 pm

Yup that’s the one! The spin pin works pretty well with it and it looks super cute as long as they’re not too far out to the sides (you’ll end up looking like Princess Leia).

Kaite
Wednesday, August 17/2011 at 11:43 pm

So pretty, I’d been looking for an excuse to buy and try out the mini spin pins and I think I just found it :D

Thursday, August 18/2011 at 11:14 am

I’m a good shopping enabler! :-)

Sophia
Thursday, August 18/2011 at 1:12 am

We must’ve been on some kind of wave length. I went out last night with my hair inspired by this photo: http://www.refinery29.com/static/bin/entry/a69/350x500b/62846/buntwistback.jpg only my hair’s only shoulder length so instead of doing a bun, I just kept twisting it all the way in (tucking in a little nub of a ponytail) and securing with a few bobby pins and two mini spin pins!

Thursday, August 18/2011 at 11:15 am

Hey I love that! (And love it even more that you were using the mini spin pins too!) Great minds think alike :-)

Agatha Tefora
Thursday, August 18/2011 at 9:30 am

I remember this! I encountered this kind of style five to 7 years ago. My cousin used to wear her hair like that except that she does not use mini spin pin.

Definitely not for me since I’m a brush and go person but really good to hear that the style is back.

Nomadic D
Thursday, August 18/2011 at 10:05 am

That’s cool. I’m not fan of the spin pin because as I’ve mentioned before, I just have too much hair for it to make an easy bun, but I can see using these little ones in place of bobby pins. Also, there’s a simplified way to do this, the twisties don’t come as far forward but it’s probably the easiest hairstyle to do ever: you make a ponytail with an elastic and then loosen it a bit, divide it in half above the elastic and flip the ponytail through. Does that make sense? Remember the topsy tail? Basically that without any tools. Easiest hair cheat ever.

Thursday, August 18/2011 at 11:17 am

Yes, totally! Was just saying to Vivian above that I used to do that too. I guess the only thing is that it doesn’t give you the gorgeous rolls on the side…

MP
Thursday, August 18/2011 at 10:51 pm

Nice to see Kimberley here! I’m a huge fan – her style is ALWAYS impeccable. In my opinion, even her looks from a few years back still seem appropriate and stylish. She’s got an easy, classic, laid back beauty and a killer set of curves. Michelle, not sure how familiar with her you are, but if you look into her other stuff you’ll see what a fashion plate she is! Thanks for featuring her and your tips!

Sammy
Friday, August 19/2011 at 1:56 pm

Mmm this is really pretty. I need to change up my hairstyle!