Olivia Wilde - NYLON August Denim Issue Launch Party

Yeah, I can’t quite believe I just wrote that headline either. But ’tis true: the world is going nutso for Olivia lately, and I can’t help but notice that she’s been pulling off some kick-ass beauty moves that deserve our praise. (Her acting? Well, I have to say I agree with Lainey on that front.)

Anyway, Olivia was also just named, along with Emma Stone, as a face of Revlon, so clearly other powers that be are taking notice as well. And while I still think Emma is adorbs—she’s basically a beauty editor’s dream come true, what with all the hair and makeup experimentation—I’m dedicating today’s post to Olivia because I love a good makeover story. It was only in January 2010 that she was attending red carpet events in makeup I SWEAR was inspired by Barbie. (Seriously—did you know they’re giving Barbies way too much purple eyeshadow these days? It’s disturbing.) But fast forward a year and a half and she’s toned it down (while still glamming it up) and the result is beauty icon territory. Come see her four best looks of late…

THE POM-POM PONYTAIL

Olivia Wilde Cowboys and Aliens premiere Berlin 3 Move over, Emma Stone! Olivia Wilde—a.k.a. my new beauty icon—is killing it in the hair and makeup department lately

How much do I love this? A whole lot. It’s fun and it’s playful, but it’s not crossing the line into Gaga territory or anything like that. Obvi the longer the hair, the better with this look, and I think it works best with bangs as well. The man behind it was David Babaii (yes, maker of an excellent and well-priced line of eco hair products), who blew-dry it straight before wrapping it in an elastic every 1/2- to 1-inch down the ponytail. You’ll want to use snag-free elastics: Goody makes great clear ones and so does Sephora (theirs come in clear, black AND brown!). Gently pull a bit of the hair out from in between each section to get the pom-pom effect.

THE SOFT GREY SMOKIES

Olivia Wilde Cowboys and Aliens premiere smoky eyes Move over, Emma Stone! Olivia Wilde—a.k.a. my new beauty icon—is killing it in the hair and makeup department lately

Could those cheekbones cut glass or what? But now direct your attention to the eye makeup, please. You’re looking at the kind of smoky eye we all dream of: blending your eyeshadow doesn’t get better than this. It’s all Chanel, and started with a kohl pencil all the way around the eyes and waterlines. On the lids is a brand new long-wearing cream shadow that I’m going to be talking about in an editor’s picks vid VERY soon—if I’m not mistaken, I am wearing this same shimmery silvery grey shade myself today and it is indeed an incredible product. The MUA then used a black shadow to create definition at the outer corners before blending, blending, blending. So perfect.

THE SLIGHTLY ’60S HAIR AND MAKEUP

Olivia Wilde Nylon party August 2011 Move over, Emma Stone! Olivia Wilde—a.k.a. my new beauty icon—is killing it in the hair and makeup department lately

This one is my fave, and you know what Olivia did here? She managed to achieve what I never could with my Ombré. I, too, had golden-brown hair that graduated into blonde AND bangs. So why does it look so much better on her? Not fair. (Probably it’s the length and the waviness. And oh yeah, those cheekbones.) Anyway, paired with liner just on the top lid, and pretty pink lips, the whole thing gives off a modern Jean Shrimpton sort of effect. I want to look like this every time I go out.

THE HEADBAND AND RED LIPS

Olivia Wilde Cowboys and Aliens premiere UK 3 Move over, Emma Stone! Olivia Wilde—a.k.a. my new beauty icon—is killing it in the hair and makeup department lately

Okay, ignore that side boob. (Who walks a red carpet with side boob?) Anyway, continuing on the ’60s theme we have here a gorgeous little bump ‘n headband combo. I think it’s the loose waves (and again, Ombré colour) that save this look from being TOO retro—as does the bold choice of red lips. If you actually wore a bra, and a blouse that wasn’t sheer, this would work really well for the office, no? To get the bouffant effect, hold the hair straight up and backcomb in three short strokes using a paddle brush. Spray with hairspray. Just make sure you don’t backcomb the top layers as you want to keep them looking smooth and tangle-free.

Tell me:

Are you digging Olivia Wilde’s hair and makeup too?
Which of these recent red carpet looks is your fave?
Which one would you actually try? You know, I might have to give the pom-pom pony a go…

Thomas
Thursday, August 25/2011 at 5:44 pm

You know, when I first saw this post, I thought, “no! Michelle, eat those words!” I love Emma Stone sooooo very much. I just think her acting is perfect, her hair is perfect, her makeup is perfect… Mahjay girl crush. BUT. Then I saw the photos, and I must admit that Olivia looks pretty stunning in these photos, however I do maintain that she wears too much foundation. It just looks kinda plastered on, particularly in the third picture. So yes, I grudgingly admit it – you have converted me. Although Emma still has the edge for me. I highly doubt that will ever change.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Saturday, August 27/2011 at 10:41 am

I was almost going to say that about the foundation! It IS too much in certain photos but I think her skin is less than perfect, so… I get it.
But yeah, I still love Emma as well, and she’s more the total package (ie. we know she can act… Olivia I have no idea).

Mary
Thursday, August 25/2011 at 8:00 pm

I just love your blog and had to tell you.You’ve taught me so much! Thank you.

Saturday, August 27/2011 at 10:41 am

Awww thanks! Glad to have you here.

Kerri
Thursday, August 25/2011 at 9:39 pm

AHHH! yes! in love with her look too! i posted a pic of her on my little site a few weeks ago! and yes, her foundation is thick but if you look closely she appears to have bad skin, so that may be why it looks a little on the heavy side…

Saturday, August 27/2011 at 10:42 am

Yep – I don’t know if it’s the lighting or what but I saved a few close-ups for future posts on acne… poor girl. I’m sure having to wear all that makeup all the time doesn’t help matters either.

Nomadic D
Friday, August 26/2011 at 9:01 am

I am not a big fan of that pom-pom ponytail. I think I did that when I was 14, with colored rubber bands. And then my husband did it when he had long hair because it was the only way he could keep his afro-like hair under control. But to be honest, I don’t think it’s a good idea. Period. Her smokey eye, on the other hand, is truly perfection. Seriously, that is amazing. And I do love how much she’s changing it up, how adventurous she’s being. That’s something we should all emulate I think!

Saturday, August 27/2011 at 10:44 am

Definitely! I think I’m going to make it my mission to master that eye. Anyone can do a messy smoky eye but a professional-looking one like that is a real challenge.

Jane
Friday, August 26/2011 at 9:45 am

She is gorgeous and you’re right- KILLING it in the beauty world! I almost need to back away from the computer because she is making me want….BANGS! And if anyone needed another reminder of why bronzed isn’t always beautiful, well, look no further. The loose waves, the bangs, the headband with the red lips- perfection! The pom poms, well I don’t hate, but I think I would have preferred them on a low pony tail, a little looser. The pom poms look cute and casual, the high tight pulled back pony is too severe for them. And that smokey eye? Dude I need to learn this. Stunning all around! Go Olivia!

Saturday, August 27/2011 at 10:46 am

I knowww! I’ve been hemming and hawing over whether or not to cut my bangs again or keep growing them, and this is swaying me for sure!

Sophia
Friday, August 26/2011 at 11:28 am

I distinctly remember the quote “Olivia Wilde needs to stop making Olivia Wilde happen.” It stuck with me when months later she was on the cover of literally EVERY magazine (well, not Vogue I don’t believe) in the period of a few months.

Her liquid liner looks are great, although I can imagine other celebs wearing it equally well (Zooey D?). That smoky eye though…wowza. Looks great with the nearly-naked face. I’m worried if I tried to replicate it, it would turn out more goth than glam and that my eyes would look teeny tiny.

I’d like to see her with a fresher complexion, but it looks like she’s got some bumps she wants to conceal AND she’s being HD photographed all the time, so I can let it go. Regardless of her beauty victories, she will forever be the bi-sexual teen on The O.C. in my eyes.

Saturday, August 27/2011 at 10:49 am

HAHAHA! That was the post I was looking for but couldn’t find! I knew I’d been harsh in the past… but that’s why her re-invention is all the more exciting. As superficial as it is, it really does show that looking the part is half the battle.

And how did I not know she was on The O.C.? Gosh she looks totally different as a blonde…

Samantha
Friday, August 26/2011 at 3:51 pm

I’m not a fan of the bangs with wavy hair. I think she looked better without the bangs.

Denise
Monday, August 29/2011 at 12:03 pm

Not to say that she may be a having a bit of skin issues lately, but I believe she actually has pretty good skin. I remember seeing some pics of her a few months ago out somewhere with no makeup on. The theme of the post was actually how great she looks without makeup. She’s often photographed out and about without makeup.Though I wonder if everyday good skin could withstand the HD cameras like you said. She’s a pretty girl and her ombre brond is perfection. Past that she doesn’t really illicit anything from me. Like the retro red lip bouffy hair look the but I like that on anyone. For some reason she reminds me of Anglina Jolie. I feel the same way about her, I of course can recognize her beauty, come on who can’t, but style wise….meh.

I do the “pom pom pony”on my five year old daughter and used to on her big sister all the time usually when the pony’s not looking it’s best. Kind of hides it. Not a chosen look.

As far as beauty looks go honestly Hillary Duff is my latest crush. Makeup and hair lately is always on point. Selena Gomez makeup and super healthy looking hair has impressed me lately but I’m not and never will be a rich brunette. I just don’t have the coloring for it :(.