Abbey Lee and Freja

Well, hot damn—it’s September already. I don’t know about you, but I always, ALWAYS require a new haircut and colour right about now to welcome the fall season (even if it technically doesn’t begin until the 23rd). I just got the latter attended to yesterday, and next week I’m visiting this guy for my cut… which means I’m already browsing the haircuts folder on my computer, as well as my collection of trashy gossip mags (what?) for inspiration.

You see, even though I’m a firm believer in the Life Cut theory, I’m still very much open to subtle tweaks, like bangs or no bangs, or a new colour, or a different length. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about with this term “Life Cut,” then you really should just go read this post—but in a nutshell, it’s that everyone should find a haircut that suits them for life.)

Maybe I’m also in the mood to switch things up because I’ve been talking to Nick Arrojo. He’s a celebrity hairstylist (clients include Minnie Driver and Bryan Adams) and best known as the former resident hairstylist on the makeover show What Not To Wear. And he is ALL ABOUT CHANGE. Just watch:

I definitely agree with what he’s saying—your hair DOES need to evolve as you age and trends change. (I mean, what else is this blog for? Duh.)

There’s just one area where our thinking differs: I believe there’s an overall hair shape that tends to flatter your face shape (seeing as we can’t do much about bone structure). For example: I’ve been growing out my bangs all summer, but now I’ve realized, like I always do when it gets to this stage, that my face is just a tiny bit too oblong for the bang-less look to really flatter me. But what do I know? I’m not a professional hairdresser.

I will say that I was happy to hear Nick say that it’s not really about length. Because I swear that every time I watched him on that show, he did a short haircut. (If you read the comments here, that kinda seems to be his rep.)

I also LOVE how he talks about embracing the texture you were born with, because that’s what you’re meant to have. There’s no point fighting it. (Hmm… I can also use this theory to support my blonderexia. I mean, I was blonde as a child so technically it’s my “natural” hue… right?!)

Anyway, in other news, Nick is also about making styling really simple—which is why he came out with his own line of hair products:

Arrojo collection Video: Do you need a hair change? Nick Arrojo thinks so (he used to be the hairstylist on What Not To Wear). Get inspired here!

They’ve been out in the U.S. for a while but just launched at salons across Canada. He says you only need one, maybe two products MAX to do your hair, and everything is really lightweight and smells fantastic.

Tell me:

Do you remember Nick from What Not To Wear?
How do you feel about his views on hair changes?
Will you be doing anything radical—a new cut, a new colour?—this fall?

Thomas
Thursday, September 1/2011 at 4:08 pm

Funnily enough, yesterday I dyed my hair a really rich, dark espresso brown (bordering on black where it took well at the bleached ends) and so I’m sorted! I totally agree with changing your style – its important not to get in a rut! Also I liked his idea about shape, and I see how that works because I recently went for a big cut at the back and sides to update my image a bit, but I think that the change of shape actually affected me more than the change in length (which was considerable). Just as a side note, what did you do to change your colour??? Can’t wait to see!

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Sophia
Thursday, September 1/2011 at 7:14 pm

I went from long and layered to an Abbey Lee inspired bob (and yes, I took her picture in!) last year and it felt great to have a cut that doesn’t fight my naturally straight hair. I love it, but feel limited sometimes with what I can do with it in terms of style (which is probably why I’m constantly fussing over its colour instead!). I feel you on the bangs… gotta keep the oblongness in check!

I’m curious about his products. Only needing two sounds pretty good to me!

June
Thursday, September 1/2011 at 8:27 pm

My husband and I referred to Nick on What Not to Wear as “Nick the Knife”!! That is because he cut every girl’s hair very short! Seemed like he didn’t feel like using his imagination a whole lot and taking the time to do a cut that was the most flattering. I like Ted Gibson’s style a lot better. I would let Ted do my hair, but not Nick. Not even for free :) On the positive side, I have a LOT of his hair products. I love the shampoos and conditioners. I also like the Styling Creme and the Defrizz serum. Great stuff!

Lisa
Friday, September 9/2011 at 3:33 pm

ha! i agree completely. i remember watching in horror as some poor girl on the show would inevitably get her long locks chopped off by nick. ted is waaaaaaay better. i would let ted do my hair in a heartbeat. nick- not so much!

Aurelia
Thursday, September 1/2011 at 11:31 pm

My twin and I always felt his cuts were dated and unflattering. He always seemed to relish chopping off ladies hair even though you could clearly see that they were unhappy about. I love my lng hair and I would rather never get to cut my hair ever again than go to uim for a haircut. He also seemed to favour “mom-cuts” which is soooooo gross.

He does make a good point about changing up your hairstyle as you change in lifestyle and age group. He seems like a nice person but his idea of a great haircut is from 10 years ago.

Elizabeth
Friday, September 2/2011 at 1:48 pm

I love Nick! I always wanted to be on What Not To Wear just so he could cut my hair!!!! (But now that I’ve seen Ted’s work I think I’d rather have him do it!) Will have to check out his curl creme and defrizz serum on my perpetual quest for the right curl/frizz product :)

Rebekah
Friday, September 2/2011 at 2:07 pm

Nick is a great stylist, no doubt. But I always felt so sorry for the girls who REALLY wanted to keep length and he always insisted on cutting it off. And let’s be honest, some people just look better with longer hair, no?

I agree with you when you say stick to your life cut. I got mine at a young age luckily! I think I was 16 or 17 and I had a GREAT stylist. Since then I’ve played with colour, different layering techniques, bangs, no bangs but kept the same sort of style. I use to think that was me being closed minded! But I’ve just found out works for me and I work it hard.

I have long hair (it’s usually just past my boobs except after trims). And I thought about cutting it to shoulder length or slightly shorter but my stylist stopped me and I’m so glad she didn’t let me do it!! I would’ve regretted it. I’m so glad for my life cut!!!

Meeka
Friday, September 2/2011 at 3:27 pm

I loved Nick on WNTW! I know he had a tendancy to force the short hair on people but seriously… how many televised makeovers can one see and still not realize you’re likely to get your hair chopped if you get one? I would love to have him cut my hair :)
Personally I’ve never cared whether my hair gets cut short or stays long as long as it looks good when I’m done. I guess I identify with what he said, inches don’t matter it’s all about shape.

Marina(Makeup4All)
Monday, September 5/2011 at 5:53 pm

Haha, that is exactly what I have been doing in my 19, experimenting. Agree that one should chance a hair style from time to time because it gets boooring. I’ve recently “dyed” my hair with a warm chocolate dying lotion. It already washed off so now I am looking for the other shade :)

Lou
Sunday, September 18/2011 at 5:18 pm

I’ve known Nick for years and he is truly amazing. Although I no longer have the privilege of having him cut my hair (I no longer live in NYC), I can say my best my best cuts ever have come from him. Love Nick!

Gimped
Wednesday, October 19/2011 at 5:40 pm

I remember Nick from WNTW. I miss him on the show :( The new guy is still great, but Nick seemed to take more risks … which I guess explains his comments in your video about changing your look and not being afraid.

I agree with his views. Sticking with the same thing gets boring after a while. You don’t have to do something drastic to change, just alter the colour a few shades or, like you said, add a soft bang. Hair can always be changed and grows back, so go for it! Even after my salon platinum-blonde-done-wrong experience I’m still willing to try things with my hair … just maybe not dipping it in a vat of bleach :)

I added some (much needed) highlights to my coif a few weeks ago. I’ve finally found someone I trust to touch my hair — sorry, peeps, but they’re not in the GTA — and he did a fabulous job. Instead of making the highlight super blonde like most people have done in the past, he kept them a little more on the caramel side. After working with my hair for a few appointments he decided my hair was too fine to handle a lot of bleaching (!!) so he went a little softer — it’s almost brassy, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. He started with one colour for now, and when I go back to get my roots done closer to the holidays he’ll add a low-lite.