New York S/S ’12: Okay, I’m swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)… and so will you!

DKNY - Spring 2012 beauty

Oh, models. As if I wasn’t already jealous of their genetic freakiness in height and facial features, now I’m coveting their hair. Specifically from two shows, DKNY and Oscar de la Renta, where I basically want to BE these girls. Probably it’s a side effect of living with limp, fine, flat hair all my life—show me thickness and volume and waves, and I drool. And also, maybe I’m being hypocritical after suggesting you all get a lob or a bob, but this summer I was suddenly struck with the desire to grow my hair long. I mean, it’s already long, but now I want it longER—like, model long.

The ladies at DKNY are my new inspiration. Sure, they got a little help from extensions (which I have no plans to adopt personally), but I’m crossing my fingers that some day in the near future I will be able to approximate this look with the liberal use of texturizing and thickening products. Over at Oscar, it’s more a case of wanting what I don’t have; specifically, a wild mass of pre-Raphaelite curls. Come see!

DKNY Spring 2012 beauty 5 New York S/S 12: Okay, Im swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)... and so will you!

Okay, seriously—how is this fair? I want the colour, the texture, the length… everything. The inspiration was “summer in the Hamptons” and so Eugene Souleiman (after adding the extensions) spritzed with a beach texturizer from Wella before twisting and pinning the hair into low buns. Then, to set, he applied heat from a hairdryer with a diffuser attachment before a final blast of cool air.

When it was taken out and loosened up with the fingers, it looked like this:

DKNY Spring 2012 beauty 4 New York S/S 12: Okay, Im swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)... and so will you!

We could totes do this at home, right? I love it because it’s not stick-straight; it has a bit of a bend. Pure Model Hair.

Also, just an aside… I know we are talking about hair today, but I just have to mention this makeup. I don’t know if it’s this specific model or what (because I also loved her in this post), but her lips always look fantastic:

DKNY Spring 2012 beauty New York S/S 12: Okay, Im swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)... and so will you!

What’s on them is Maybelline New York Color Sensational High Shine Lip Color (which I reviewed in this video) in Glisten Up Pink, with Baby Lips Lip Balm in Quenched on top. I think her lips are super-pigmented so it reads a bit darker than on the other ladies.

And now moving on to Oscar de la Renta:

Oscar de la Renta Spring 2012 beauty 3 New York S/S 12: Okay, Im swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)... and so will you!

Okay, we can skip the headpiece, probably, but don’t you love the “cloud hair?” (That’s what they’re calling this.) Of course, it will look familiar if you remember the Marc by Marc Jacobs version, and the more wearable (less frizzy) street interpretation that Gwen Stefani stepped out with back in the spring.

Gwen Stefani Cannes 2011 2 New York S/S 12: Okay, Im swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)... and so will you!

Truthfully, I think I like it best on blondes, just because it’s so unexpected—and probably because Daphne Groeneveld (the one with the LIPS) is my new model crush this season. Can I squeeze in another photo of her? This one with a more modest headpiece:

Oscar de la Renta Spring 2012 beauty New York S/S 12: Okay, Im swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)... and so will you!

But here’s another take on a slightly darker hair colour:

Oscar de la Renta Spring 2012 beauty 2 New York S/S 12: Okay, Im swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)... and so will you!

And this is also beautiful with the reddish highlights:

Oscar de la Renta Spring 2012 beauty 4 New York S/S 12: Okay, Im swooning over the hair at DKNY (soft waves) and Oscar de la Renta (wild curls)... and so will you!

So if your hair won’t do this at home, you CAN get the look if you are so inclined (and have some free time on your hands). Hairstylist Orlando Pita created dozens of tiny braids and then pressed each one between the plates of a flat iron to set them. Once they cooled, he took the braid out and brushed (A LOT) to get this mad volume. Finish with hairspray.

What do you think?

Would you love to have long, beachy locks like the DKNY girls?
Or are you more into the extreme curls at Oscar de la Renta?
Do you have a crush on Daphne Groeneveld as well? I’d almost spring for injections if I thought they’d give me lips like that… wow.

Jane
Wednesday, September 14/2011 at 5:45 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the DKNY girls, the hair is swoony, and the make up is perfection! If I had super curly hair I’d be pretty stoked to see the Oscar de la Renta looks! Curly and wild, let it be! Pretty pretty pretty

Mandie
Wednesday, September 14/2011 at 6:16 pm

No thanks. I spend hours and lots of money to try and get my hair to look like the opposite of a frizzy mess. I think models on the runway can get away with a lot of looks that would look horrific if you wore it in real life, because we know that they didn’t do it to themselves and it’s “a look” they’re going for on purpose. If I went out looking like that, people would be concerned that I’m depressed, since I’m no longer grooming myself. Even if it does take hundreds of braids and flat ironing to look like that! The DKNY ones are okay, if you’re actually on a beach holiday.

Alexis
Wednesday, September 14/2011 at 7:30 pm

Wow, Mandie, my sentiments exactly!

QuiteLight
Thursday, September 15/2011 at 12:30 pm

I’m with you. Frizz is just not as charming in real life.

Question: how many extensions were involved in these? The DKNY texture is not totally dissimilar to my own, but I have, like half as much hair. Just me?

QuiteLight
Thursday, September 15/2011 at 12:31 pm

To clarify, I have tonnes of unwanted frizz, not judging people who have it either!

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:23 pm

The DKNY look definitely used extensions so we’ll probably never be able to get as much fullness… but since I wrote this post a how-to came through from Wella (the hairstylist responsible for this show, Eugene Souleiman, is their global creative director):

Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair using Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner for Volume. At the show, Eugene and his team added extensions, but when working with natural hair, roughly blow dry the hair to create volume and body. Spray Wella Professionals, Ocean Spritz, Beach Texture Spray on to dry hair, then wind into a low bun and pin in place, using the hair as a roller by winding the hair back on its self. Apply heat from a hair dryer with a diffuser to the hair, make sure it’s thoroughly dry, and then change the setting to cool to ‘set’ the hair. Once the hair is cool, remove the pins from the hair to release the bun, and run your fingers through the hair to break it up a little and create some texture. The finished look should have a slightly ‘raw’ feel to it.

Products:
· Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo

· Wella Professionals Enrich Conditioner

· Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz, Beach Texture Spray

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:20 pm

Haha, I guess us straight-haired types just always want what we can’t have. :-)

Stefanie
Wednesday, September 14/2011 at 6:30 pm

I loooove the DKNY hair but the fashion week hair I’m currently coveting is Rachel Zoe’s presentation:
The models looks so soft and pretty!

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:25 pm

Oh wow, I didn’t see that show – gorgeous!!

Kristie
Wednesday, September 14/2011 at 6:32 pm

When I brush out my natural curls, it looks quite similar to the Oscar de la Renta “cloud hair” lucky me! except we all know these things are fleeting haha…
also there is another way to get that look, sans braids!
I don’t think I’d say its easier to do, but you get more of a solid “crimp” then you do with braids, or at least i feel you do.
here is a link to how to do it on Andrea Claire’s blog ( whom you know of, remember reading your post about her :) )

wish the rest of the world would realize how on-trend my hair is! haha

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:27 pm

Oh wow – that’s awesome! Love Andrea. Thanks for the link! Maybe one day I’ll have the patience (and time) to try that…

Ale
Wednesday, September 14/2011 at 7:54 pm

That’s how I look when I wake up. Had I known it was fashionable, I’d stop wasting time trying to tame the frizz.

Liz (Beauty Reductionista)
Wednesday, September 14/2011 at 8:29 pm

This is exactly how my hair looks after I blow dry on high heat without brushing or attempting to straighten. I think it’s a look that only works on the drop dead gorgeous like these models. Me… men, women and children would either run screaming or attack with hair brushes and straighteners.

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:28 pm

Okay, maybe all of you guys with hair that naturally does this are right! Since my hair couldn’t hold curl to save it’s life I guess I have unrealistic fantasies about wild curls…

Courtney
Thursday, September 15/2011 at 10:01 am

Ok..seriously? In the real world, the effect you get from putting hair in a bun for waves NEVER turns out the way you want it to. Not fair. I ALWAYS regret trying that method whenever I’m too lazy to spend an hour (using a curling iron) to try to get my hair to get that “I just rolled out of bed, but still look fabulous” look.

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:30 pm

It’s hit and miss for me – some days I get amazing waves and others it’s weird uneven dents… I have to perfect my twisting technique.

Thomas
Thursday, September 15/2011 at 1:10 pm

I’m actually really liking this cloud hair! Its so romantic and sweet. I think it looks best on the brown haired model, because its sort of pulled back… But I definitely prefer the soft DKNY waves at the front, always have liked wavy hair. However, I do think that there is a fine line between nice, fluffy cloud hair and BAM full on head-attacking frizz.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:31 pm

Yes and I’m getting schooled by the peeps who have this hair texture naturally!

Elaine R
Thursday, September 15/2011 at 3:01 pm

I really like the cloud hair on gwen stefani but IRL it would look insane… i think this look, as well as the slicked hair look, are best left to people who you know are rich enough to either shower or brush their hair. on regular people it looks like you might live on the street… eek

Kat
Thursday, September 15/2011 at 8:30 pm

Haha the LIPS. It’s so funny, immediately after reading it, and obviously knowing what picture it referred to, I started going on on who else could be identified that way. Actress with the LIPS. Rock legend with the LIPS. And I won’t even post the obvs answer to both of those. (ok fine… hint. AJ, ST)

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:33 pm

Well AJ shouldn’t be mistaken for the OTHER actress with the lips, LR… that was a big lip fail!

Kharina
Friday, September 16/2011 at 4:43 pm

My hair is very much like DKNY but with more curls at the end, and this is all natural so I thank my hair godesses. I can get the Oscar de la Renta look if I brush it, but I would look like a mad woman who lived in the woods and liked dancing naked with the fairies around bonfires. I’m just not that kinda lady.

Monday, October 10/2011 at 6:33 pm