Paris S/S ’12: It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

Chanel - Spring 2012 beauty

Like I always say—when Chanel speaks, we listen. And I am definitely ready to hear what the brand has to say about beauty for spring ’12; namely, that the metallic trend that we swooned over for fall is going to stick around for a while, except with a pearly twist.

That’s right: it’s all about Girls with Pearls. Not the Mad Men retro necklace kind. And definitely not those pearly finishes that were popular for lipsticks in the ’80s. (C’mon. You know what I’m talking about.) Nope, this is an all-new, “2012 pearl” that features glimmering finishes on the lids and nails; mermaid-esque hair; and an all-around “underwater” feeling. Oh, and faux pearl “piercings” too, if you really want to go crazy.

Now, if you’ve been following all the Fashion Week coverage, you might have had an inkling that designers were on to some kind of deep-sea theme. It was happening at Armani, and Givenchy (which we didn’t cover here beauty-wise but had a surfer girl narrative), and who could forget all of the wet-look hair? (Prada, Alexander Wang….) But Chanel—as per usual—was the one brand to tie it all together and present us with a very aspirational, modern and yet highly wearable interpretation. Get ready, because this is makeup and nail polish that you’ll be drooling after for spring.

Luminous is the buzzword for skin

If you’ve been wondering what the trend is for skin (matte? dewy? sun-kissed?), here’s your answer. It’s luminous.

Chanel Spring 2012 beauty Paris S/S 12: Its the moment weve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

Probably it had something to do with this particular model casting (read: flawless-skinned peeps only!), but the skin at this show was just BEYOND. I know a lot of you guys are fans of Chanel’s Vitalumière foundations, and this is possibly the best advertisement in the world for them. (The makeup artist, Peter Philips, used a combo of Vitalumière Hydra Teint Compact Crème, which is only available in Asia, and Vitalumière Aqua Compact Crème, which will be available in the U.S. and Europe in March. Probably the closest thing for us forgotten Canadians would be this guy.)

On the cheeks, it’s a bright pink limited-edition powder from the upcoming spring 2012 collection, called Blush Horizon de Chanel. Look at this model and tell me: could anything be more gorgeous?

Chanel Spring 2012 beauty 3 Paris S/S 12: Its the moment weve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

I’m going to assume the folks at home will be skipping the Swarovski pearl adhesives… so let’s move straight to the eyes.

Glimmery, “wet-shine” eyes

Whereas last season Chanel did silvery-grey metallic, this time it’s a more subtle wash of creamy white pigment. Check it:

Chanel Spring 2012 beauty 8 Paris S/S 12: Its the moment weve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

And—hooray!—you can get this look RIGHT NOW. It’s done using the Illusion d’Ombre shadow pots that I raved about in this vid, and in two shades: Emerveillé (peachy nude) and Fantasme (creamy white). I have the former and even if you don’t combine it with the white one, it’s an amazing investment as an everyday neutral shadow that you can slap on with your fingers.

Chanel fall 2011 Illusion dOmbre Paris S/S 12: Its the moment weve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

To “ground” the look, our mate Peter did a sweep of black pencil (Le Stylo Yeux Waterproof in Ébène) along the upper lash line and beige pencil (Le Crayon Khôl in Clair) on the inner waterlines. Mascara is on the top lashes only for a clean, pretty look.

As for the lips, I don’t think I have to tell you that I’m really, really glad that Chanel didn’t choose to bring back pearl-finished lips from the 1980s. (You can take a peek at the pic attached to this post if you need a refresher.) Instead, quite appropriately, Peter did a simple nude shine. You could get an approximation of the look with a gloss you have already, but in case you’re taking notes, the prodz were Rouge Coco Baume and Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimer lip shine in Plaisir (both available next spring).

And we will just choose to ignore the hair. (Even Sam McKnight said that wet hair worn down “looked a little sad.” Although I do think it’s mighty cool that he used Pantene’s Pro-V Repair and Protect Conditioner as a leave-in mask to get the look.)

Now for the most important breaking news—nails!

The next big nail colour trend: “Oyster”

You know, just like I had an aversion to pearly lips (still do), I’ve never really warmed to pearly nails. Until now. I’m sorry, but the time is finally right for this.

Chanel Spring 2012 beauty 7 Paris S/S 12: Its the moment weve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

So much cuter than all of those boring nudes, yes? (They make you look like a mannequin, after all.) I think I like it even better on the toes:

Chanel Spring 2012 beauty 6 Paris S/S 12: Its the moment weve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

The shade is called Attraction and it will be out in January, so mark your calendars. I’m digging this one a lot more than the Chanel polishes of seasons past—although I love Graphite (which is kinda similar), I never really embraced Paradoxal, or Mimosa, or Nouvelle Vague, or even (sacrilege!) Particulière.

However, if you’re not down with this oyster shade then there ARE other options. Via Style.com, here’s a shot of the other nail shades in the show—April (red), May (pink) and June (orange). They look really dark in this shot, so at first I wasn’t into them…

chanel spring nail polishes Paris S/S 12: Its the moment weve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

But here, the orange shade is a lot creamier… and simply gorgeous:

Chanel Spring 2012 beauty 4 Paris S/S 12: Its the moment weve all been waiting for—the Chanel makeup (and nail polish!) to lust after for spring

Tell me:

Have you ever seen such incredible skin IN YOUR LIFE?
What do you think of these pearly shades for eyes and nails?
Have you tried Vitalumière or the Illusion d’Ombre shadows yet?

Jane
Thursday, October 6/2011 at 4:09 pm

Le sigh. Chanel- always perfect. I think I need Emerveillé – love eye shadow pots. The burgundy polish April- on my list. Le sigh.

Monday, October 10/2011 at 3:05 pm

I’m REALLY into eyeshadow pots these days. Armani, Chanel, L’Oreal… and of course my original DiorShow that is now apparently discontinued (sob!). I love the nude shades – so easy to apply with fingers for an everyday neutral look.

Meg
Thursday, October 6/2011 at 4:23 pm

Leave it to Chanel to make the canteloupe orange nail polish I’ve been looking for since last year! D: Hopefully more budget-friendly brands jump on this bandwagon.

Monday, October 10/2011 at 3:06 pm

Nice – you were ahead of the trend! I didn’t know I needed canteloupe in my life until now, but I’m totally with you.

abeer
Thursday, October 6/2011 at 4:39 pm

You’re the first blogger I’ve come across that actually knows the name for the white pearly nail polish!!!! Mad credits to you for that and getting the info for the makeup products used down to the T! However, when I was examining the pictures ever so closely to make my predictions before any official word got out it looked like they used Pro-Lumiere! I’m sure I’m wrong though! How do you find out all of this stuff! LOVE IT!

Monday, October 10/2011 at 3:09 pm

I got my intel straight from the source – Chanel emailed a release on Thurs morning with all the makeup info. (So maybe some of the other bloggers just posted too soon?) I think there may have been a few different products listed on Style.com/Vogue.com but I went with what Chanel gave me.

Perie Edmonds
Thursday, October 6/2011 at 7:11 pm

I love the Oyster nail polish, I am soooo going to be getting that! is there any way to achieve that beautiful luminous skin, or are they just genetically blessed? But I hate those stick on pearly dots (Am I the only one that thought they looked like big pussy spots?) …But it is Channel….I just have no sense of fashion *sigh*.

Monday, October 10/2011 at 3:16 pm

Well yes I think the fact that these girls are all 16 years old helps. But I did some posts on foundation last year that may help – see here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/11/22/no-offense-but-youre-probably-making-one-of-these-7-mistakes-with-your-foundation/ and http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/01/12/video-this-celeb-makeup-artist-has-a-zillion-tips-on-how-to-create-a-flawless-makeup-base%E2%80%94whether-youre-a-n00b-or-an-old-pro/
I would say to invest in the best foundation you can (see here for suggestions: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/30/reader-question-can-you-recommend-a-good-liquid-foundation/), take as much time as possible with application (so that it’s flawless but not heavy) and then cover any remaining imperfections with a matching concealer. HD powder is great for setting: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/07/06/um-are-you-setting-your-makeup-with-a-tinted-face-powder-heres-what-you-need-instead/. Basically perfecting your skin should be the part of your makeup application that you spend the most time on.

CC
Thursday, October 6/2011 at 8:50 pm

Wow. I’m getting married in May so I think I should get May in celebration. :)

Monday, October 10/2011 at 3:17 pm

Yes! And a bright pink would be so much fun instead of the expected bridal pinks…

Abby
Thursday, October 6/2011 at 11:08 pm

Michelle, this reminded me something I have been wondering for a while: I often try to do the mascara-and-eye-liner-on-top only thing to leave the bottom lash line bare. However, somehow I always end up with color on the bottom within a few hours…I’m not sure if my eye liner or mascara migrates down or what?! I do line my upper waterline to give myself a thicker lash line up top, so maybe that’s it. But do I have to choose between lining the upper waterline and having a bare bottom lash line? I’m hoping your answer isn’t to wear waterproof everyday, but I’m thinking that might be the only option……..thanks for the info!

jenny
Friday, October 7/2011 at 2:26 am

if you’re getting waterline transfer, then tightline your eye, squeeze your eyes shut, and use a q-tip to wipe off the excess off the bottom waterline. that’s what i do and it seems to work fine!

marta
Friday, October 7/2011 at 4:10 am

I’ll give it a try too, I have the same problem…

Monday, October 10/2011 at 3:21 pm

Are you using a waterproof eyeliner? I’d definitely switch to that for any waterline work… Urban Decay makes good ones. And you can try applying translucent powder (or even eyeshadow) both under and on top of the liner to help it stay put. Waterproof mascara would help too obviously… not to give Urban Decay too much love here but they have a really good one called Cannonball that isn’t clumpy like most.

I’ll have to try Jenny’s Q-tip tip as well!

Thomas
Friday, October 7/2011 at 4:42 am

Leave it to Chanel to ditch that awful trend of hideous models with -827% body fat and actually bring back PRETTY. These girls are STUNNING, truly gorgeous in an understated, clean way… Also, although they are all thin, not ONE of them shown here looks in any way, shape or form malnourished. THIS is beauty. I mean, the first girl even makes bleached eyebrows look amazing!!! As for the makeup, wonderful, clean and pretty and girly, the way I like seeing models. I even like the bloody hair!!! This is what Chanel does to me.

Huge fan, hyper-hair-colour-aware Thomas xx

P.S. my recent absence from your blog has been noticed by Elizabeth… I’m very sorry, I’ve just been incredibly busy!! Its my final year of school and I’m looking at college’s and everything now, sooo scary!!

Monday, October 10/2011 at 3:24 pm

Yep Chanel has that effect doesn’t it? Suddenly I’m totally okay with wet hair, bleached brows, stick-on pearls… I don’t know how they do it!

And yes we miss you but anytime you get a chance to stop by it’s a treat! Good luck with the college apps!

Sophia
Sunday, October 9/2011 at 12:19 am

Need. June. Now. April and May are both nice and wearable but I’m sure I either already own or could go to Shoppers and get dupes, but not June! I fear Attraction borders a bit on old lady-ish…I’m pretty sure my grandma often wears a sheer version of it. Flattering, yes…but for me there’s now wow-factor. I think I’m just a solid shade kinda gal (with the occasional glitter when I’m feeling wild).

As for the make up…I’m so down with pearly lids and rosy cheeks. I know this is S/S but I think it’d be nice this winter too. I agree with Thomas – these models all seem to be more real-world beautiful instead of just high-fashion-you’re-kinda-weird-looking-but-it’s-couture-so-we’ll-overlook-it.

Monday, October 10/2011 at 3:27 pm

Yes I think June is the most unusual isn’t it? I like Attraction for year round as a sort of neutral with a twist (even if I do take your point about the old lady factor!)… but June will be amazing for spring. And the makeup yes – if I could look like this at any time of year I’d be over the moon!! So understated, healthy-looking yet polished.